Forum Name: Talk Archives
Forum Description: Archive Section
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=91070
Printed Date: Nov 30 2020 at 2:25pm

Topic: Virgin Natural will not look like Processed hair
Posted By: carolee
Subject: Virgin Natural will not look like Processed hair
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:21pm
***This is just for people unfamiliar and new to virgin hair.......

After seeing a lot the comments and complaints about being disappointed with the visual appearance of natural virgin hair, I feel obligated to convey this info.........

The majority of the time, virgin "raw" natural Indian Remy hair, WILL NOT look like the hair that you are used to buying. The ends will not be even and will most likely have split ends, you will not see the "extra" length you
have come to expect in packaged processed hair. You will not get two bundles that look the same unless it from the same person's head and chances are, it won't be.

Most of the time, your bundles will not be the same color or exact same texture. Do expect this.........

9 times out of 10, it's gonna look dry, keep in mind that before it left India, it was frumigated for lice/bugs. It comes to you for the most part unshampooed/unconditioned and dirty........

Understand this.

Until you wash and condition this hair, it usually looks like crap. Now, a lot of the AMERICAN vendors will go ahead and shampoo/condition this hair cuz of how crappy it looks when THEY get it from India........

This hair is real human hair so it will lightly tangle and behave like human hair does. It's all about products and I don't mean to offend anyone but if you are a tad lazy about hair care, already processed hair may be your best betWink

ALWAYS buy virgin hair 2 or 3 inch's longer than you normally would to allow for split ends. When you buy curly virgin hair allow for a good 4" longer. Also for other great info go to the Weave/Extensions 101 link located on page 1 ..........
Hope these tips help!Tongue

Replies:
Posted By: BlackEsq
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:23pm
Great post Carolee!!!Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: ILUVHAIR
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:26pm

Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:27pm
Thanks Ameisha, just trying to help with expectations and what virgin hair is and is not..............Smile

Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:38pm
Great information. People should keep that in mind when getting anything made with virgin hair whether it is a wig or wefts. Also, different companies handle the virgin hair differently. Some companies try to match the textures within a weft or wig so that the textures are similar. Others just create wefts and such without this attention to detail. Buying virgin hair can be unpredictable but it can also be beautiful.

Posted By: mrsv
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:41pm

Thanks Carolee, I was interested in the virgin hair on Wagmans, since its almost the same price as all the other hair now. My only regret is that ,I only wear my hair in 8inch, maybe 10 at the most. I received an order from Wagmans today. I love there product and customer service. I ordered before the price increase...that friday  before to be exact....My wallet was stolen,so I put a hold on my credit card. Needless to say my card was denied when they ran it. Patti called me and let me know that, they would still honor the original price of $120.00 per lb. I'm set for a whille...I would love some virgin hair.

Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 9:52pm
Jolieprincess thanks for that additional tidbit! You hit the nail right on the headWinkI really think it's important to be armed with this information cuz virgin hair is so different......

Mrsv, Sorry to hear about your wallet being stolen....what a headacheConfused
and that was really nice Patty will honor the old price. OK, you know the pix rule but if you don't, we LUV pictures!!!!! Where are your pix's???????LOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: Hotlanta Peach
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 10:29pm
Carolee, many thanks for the info! I was going to purchase my virgin hair from halleyscurls tomorrow for my new do in October. Your info probably saved me the frustration of dealing with something like that. I wonder if the same will apply with their Natural Body Indian Remy...it's not as straight but i can flat iron it and set it...right?

Posted By: marie67
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 10:47pm
 Well stated Carolee!Clap

Posted By: moremi
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 11:05pm
Peach.. that hair is okay!!! NB is off the hook- the hair is pretty good and its not virgin, its a little processed.

Carolee, what do I have to do to the hair on a daily basis???
Is it really supper curly or just a little wavy?? I love the fact that one can flat iron it straight. I am getting this hair and relaxed straight next.
too excited.

Posted By: rosario
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 11:12pm
Thanks for the info Carolee. Does anyone here know if we do a group order with Wagman,whether they would offer a discount??

Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by moremi moremi wrote:

Peach.. that hair is okay!!! NB is off the hook- the hair is pretty good and its not virgin, its a little processed.

Carolee, what do I have to do to the hair on a daily basis???
Is it really supper curly or just a little wavy?? I love the fact that one can flat iron it straight. I am getting this hair and relaxed straight next.
too excited.

Hi moremi, with NB hair less is definitely more!!!!! After shampooing (i use creame of nature) just a tad of shine serum will do ya.....

I personally use Hask Frizz Ease but have heard great things about Biosilk Shine Serrum and intend to give that a go......Use very little products on the straighter remy hair or it will give what some call the "crack greasy hair" lookLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by Hotlanta Peach Hotlanta Peach wrote:

Carolee, many thanks for the info! I was going to purchase my virgin hair from halleyscurls tomorrow for my new do in October. Your info probably saved me the frustration of dealing with something like that. I wonder if the same will apply with their Natural Body Indian Remy...it's not as straight but i can flat iron it and set it...right?
Thanks.....Yup, you got it!Wink 
Rosario-Yes, you will gat a discount on 5 lbs and over and also if you buy enough and quailfy as a "Reseller"

Anyone....chime in if that has changed with the latest price increase.....................

Posted By: DivaVocals
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 8:52am
Great thread Carolee.. This is much needed and HELPFUL information.. Kudos to you!!

Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 9:23am
Thanks DivaVocals..........Wink

Posted By: Hotlanta Peach
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 9:46am

I meant to mention this last night when I posted. I emailed Halleys Curls the night before Carolee posted the 1st topic thread (she is so Clairvoyant LOL). It all lines up! Here is how the rep with Halley's responded to my email below...their answers written in blue: Feel free to elaborate ladies...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello.  I am writing to inquire about your product. I have visited the web site and I see two products that have piqued my interest. The 1st is the Virgin Remy Straight Hair and 2nd is the Natural Body Indian Remy. For each type of hair, I need to know the following:

1. How much hair is included in a single order, 4 oz or 8 oz?4 ounces
2. It is important to me that the color of each 4 oz pack match in color and texture. Will the color be the same for each 4 oz pack order?They will be very close, each bundle comes from a different person, so there may be very slight variances
3. Which will more than likely match well with African American hair types (if needed)They both can be worn by African Americans
4. Can the Natural Body Remy be flat iron very well for a straight look and will it recurl easily if flat ironed?Yes it can be flat ironed. Heat is damaging to all hair, and will shorten the life of the hair.

If there is any more information you think may benefit me in knowing, please let me know. Thanks. I look forward to doing business with Halley's Curls.Visit our web site whereas we have a frequently asked section.  Thank you for your interest.

Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 9:54am
LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: amandita
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 11:11am
thank you so much for posting this.. it was much needed...u always post good info....

basicly dont buy virgin if u dont want to do WORK!!!

i have pics of mines prior to wash ...it was very ruff  and hard and all 4 packs were in differnt colors, had split ends, and a weird smell imo lol

after washing and condioning very well (in microwave)it was great ... and hair color goes a loooong way as well... u would never know this was the same hair that came out the box so raggedy....

but u cant beat the naturalness of it after u are done ..soft and velvety

Posted By: Phattygyrl
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 11:17am
Great Post, my first order of virgin hair I felt like I was robbed. The hair looked dry and brittle. I wasn't not going to put that in my hair. After I washed  and let it condition over night, I woke up to soft beautiful hair. It is a job, but it's well worth it.

Posted By: havilland
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Phattygyrl Phattygyrl wrote:

Great Post, my first order of virgin hair I felt like I was robbed. The hair looked dry and brittle. I wasn't not going to put that in my hair. After I washed  and let it condition over night, I woke up to soft beautiful hair. It is a job, but it's well worth it.

i had the same experience.  but i love the virgin hair.  i don't mind the work.  but carolee is right on target with this one.

mods? we should add this to the weave 101.  this is great info!

Posted By: MAHALO
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 2:46pm
CAROLEE ... GREAT POST
Question ... is it best to color before or after the first shampoo and conditioning? I'm feeling patient this weekend, so I may try to lighten my WAGMAN Natural CURLY.
I haven't shampooed and conditioned most of pound yet.

Posted By: CarmelGirl
Date Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 10:04pm
This was very helpful for a newbie like myself.Star

Posted By: reeweegee
Date Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 10:27pm
Once again I've got to thank all the women who continue posting insight and experiences here.  I'd previously learned the hard way about buying virgin hair so I truly appreciate another post clarifying the differences.  Earlier this week, I considered ordering Halley's Virgin Wavy but felt really apprehensive because of my negative experience with RHT virgin hair.  I learned ALOT from you all after that colossial mess.  Amandita said it best: "basicly dont buy virgin if u dont want to do WORK!!!"  So this time, I did a search, PM'd a couple members and decided to just do Wagmans French Body instead.  I figured I couldn't go wrong with this choice.  I received it today, colored, washed and conditioned it and it looks great.  I will have it installed tomorrow.  Thanks for reminding us Carolee.

Date Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 10:57pm
Embarrassed You're welcome.......LOLEmbarrassed

Date Posted: Sep 21 2007 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by MAHALO MAHALO wrote:

CAROLEE ... GREAT POST
Question ... is it best to color before or after the first shampoo and conditioning? I'm feeling patient this weekend, so I may try to lighten my WAGMAN Natural CURLY.
MAHALAO I sent you a pm.....Wink

Date Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 12:19am
The bottomline is ladies that if you are looking for a SPECIFIC curl pattern, then virgin hair is NOT FOR YOU. The hair will vary in texture since every donor will NOT have the exact same texture/curl pattern. It will vary in color as well since it comes in natural colors.. Vendors do their best to try and classify the hair for you based on the level of curl the hair has, but this still may not match up to your SPECIFIC requirements or expectations.. So the I'll say it again.. If you are looking for a SPECIFIC texture/curl pattern you may be better off buying hair that is processed for the SPECIFIC texture/curl pattern you desire.

Posted By: MissLuxurious
Date Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Phattygyrl Phattygyrl wrote:

My experience as well.

Virgin is hair that will more than likely need work.

Posted By: TexasPearl22
Date Posted: Sep 22 2007 at 9:56am
Originally posted by carolee carolee wrote:

CAROLEE ... GREAT POST
MAHALAO I sent you a pm.....Wink

I'd like to know as well. Thanks for the info Carolee. Very informativeClap

Posted By: amandita
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 12:35pm

SUPER BUMP! Smile

Posted By: ladikickz
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 12:41pm
thanks great info!LOLClap

Posted By: MsMahoganyRed
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by carolee carolee wrote:

***This is just for people unfamiliar and new to virgin hair.......

After seeing a lot the comments and complaints about being disappointed with the visual appearance of natural virgin hair, I feel obligated to convey this info.........

The majority of the time, virgin "raw" natural Indian Remy hair, WILL NOT look like the hair that you are used to buying. The ends will not be even and will most likely have split ends, you will not see the "extra" length you
have come to expect in packaged processed hair. You will not get two bundles that look the same unless it from the same person's head and chances are, it won't be.

Most of the time, your bundles will not be the same color or exact same texture. Do expect this.........

9 times out of 10, it's gonna look dry, keep in mind that before it left India, it was frumigated for lice/bugs. It comes to you for the most part unshampooed/unconditioned and dirty........

Understand this.

Until you wash and condition this hair, it usually looks like crap. Now, a lot of the AMERICAN vendors will go ahead and shampoo/condition this hair cuz of how crappy it looks when THEY get it from India........

This hair is real human hair so it will lightly tangle and behave like human hair does. It's all about products and I don't mean to offend anyone but if you are a tad lazy about hair care, already processed hair may be your best betWink

ALWAYS buy virgin hair 2 or 3 inch's longer than you normally would to allow for split ends. When you buy curly virgin hair allow for a good 4" longer. Also for other great info go to the Weave/Extensions 101 link located on page 1 ..........
Hope these tips help!Tongue

I think everyone needs to pay attention to the part BOLDED...this is so true...not to forget to mention hair SHEDS even your natural hair sheds...not crazily, unless you have some underlying condition...but it is to be expected...all in all you have to learn how to work with the hair...would be the same if this was you natural hair...thanks for pulling this thread up and thanks Carolee for the informationWink

Posted By: ***Toy-Pisces**
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 1:11pm
^^^ your right ! I know indian people hair get tangled and they brush it and use product! Don't think that you can just install it and  Not have to do anything to it and it just stay perfect. Be realistic about it!

Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by ***Toy-Pisces** ***Toy-Pisces** wrote:

^^^ your right ! I know indian people hair get tangled and they brush it and use product! Don't think that you can just install it and  Not have to do anything to it and it just stay perfect. Be realistic about it!

Hi LadiesTongue

I've missed ya'll but I've been hitting the books and Lordy, it takes more effort than it use to......LOL

Thanks for pulling up that post cuz it's important to know raw Indian remy hair or for that matter ANY virgin raw hair, is a lotta work until you find the right product combo.............Do not expect it to behave like processed hair until you prep it with productsClap

Posted By: BlackEsq
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 2:01pm
Hey Carolee!!!Clap

Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 2:52pm
Hey Meisha! How'r you doin???Big%20smileBig%20smile

Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 8:43pm
**Bump** and we need to keep bumping this until the point is MADE!!

Posted By: figboo69
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 9:03pm
I just wanted to add, that ANY hair will require some work.  When I look at the complaints of people  who get wigs , weave hair, etc... is that they are surprised when thay have to do "REAL" work to get it to "behave", lay down, fall correctly etc....  Although the virgin hair is something alot of people aren't use to ... ALL OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IS HUMAN HAIR. Even when its been processed, say for instance "permed to be curly", it will EVENTUALLY  loose its curl, sheen luster etc.... its HAIR and if caucasian, indian etc... have to get perms every 2-3 mos then you can bet you "processed hair" will have less curl in 2-3 mos after washings, styling and etc....

Its going to be work involved with all hair wear!  So let's do they work and all stay F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!!!

Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by figboo69 figboo69 wrote:

I just wanted to add, that ANY hair will require some work.  When I look at the complaints of people  who get wigs , weave hair, etc... is that they are surprised when thay have to do "REAL" work to get it to "behave", lay down, fall correctly etc....  Although the virgin hair is something alot of people aren't use to ... ALL OF WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT IS HUMAN HAIR. Even when its been processed, say for instance "permed to be curly", it will EVENTUALLY  loose its curl, sheen luster etc.... its HAIR and if caucasian, indian etc... have to get perms every 2-3 mos then you can bet you "processed hair" will have less curl in 2-3 mos after washings, styling and etc....

Its going to be work involved with all hair wear!  So let's do they work and all stay F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!!!

Spoken oh so true!!!

Date Posted: Nov 26 2007 at 10:13am
Originally posted by figboo69 figboo69 wrote:

And let the church say AMEN!!!

oh yeah...

**BUMP**

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 6:02pm
BUMP!!!!

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 8:45pm
I love high quality virgin hair (NG BRAZILIAN 3B and WAG NC). Yes, you have to work it a bit and learn the "secrets" of the particular hair in your wefts, but the reward is great. Once you understand what it is you are dealing with, you will be delighted. Good quality virgin natural, a good install, patience and experimentation are the keys to satisfaction.

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 9:14pm

All together now...................and the ChurchClap said AGAIN....AMEN!LOLLOLLOL
Ya gotta work it!!!!!Big%20smile

Posted By: TexasPearl22
Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 9:17pm
AHHHHMENLOL

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:01pm
AHHHHMEN!!!!

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:12pm
Weeeeellllll mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmm

Posted By: divvalicious
Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:44pm

I love high quality virgin hair (NG BRAZILIAN 3B and WAG NC). Yes, you have to work it a bit and learn the "secrets" of the particular hair in your wefts, but the reward is great. Once you understand what it is you are dealing with, you will be delighted. Good quality virgin natural, a good install, patience and experimentation are the keys to satisfaction.

Master, how might one learn such secrets?  I, your obedient grasshopper would like to study upon your wisdom!  teach Me, Oh Great Weave-sans!

Posted By: MissIt
Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by divvalicious divvalicious wrote:

Master, how might one learn such secrets?  I, your obedient grasshopper would like to study upon your wisdom!  teach Me, Oh Great Weave-sans!

Your hilarious Divva!!! Have you recieved your IH yet??

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:53pm
^^^ By 10:30am Monday.

Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 9:30am
BUMP

Posted By: TexGirl
Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 11:35am
Carolee, many thanks for the info!ClapClap

Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 11:39am
Originally posted by divvalicious divvalicious wrote:

Little grasshopper, Im'a help MAHALO out on this one.......I've personally have tried damn near every texture know to the "free world" "weave world"LOLLOLLOL(couldn't resist that one...LOLLOLLOL).....

and........

every texture and sometimes, even VENDORS, require distinctly different products and methods of dealing with it to have the hair looking it's best! 

Not even straight textures are the same.....For example, I've found out that Malaysian hair actually TANGLES when it's wet so you can't comb it wet but as it dries...the hair untangles and it's beautiful.......

Now, if you didn't KNOW this, you would swear you had a "bad batch" or the hair was crap.........It really does take a lot of patience, plenty of trial and error and feedback. I've been weaving for .......HORRORS.....ShockedShockedShocked........25 plus years!!!!!!LOLLOLLOL

The thing is you really don't know the TRUE NATURE of a texture OR hair vendor's product until you SHAMPOO and CONDITION it! It doen't matter how good it appears when you first get it...........

ALL bets are off untill that first shampoo!Big%20smile....Hope this helps ya....... my little grasshopperLOL

........wow.....Ermmnever use the bold font that much...me like!...LOLLOL

Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 11:40am
Originally posted by TexGirl TexGirl wrote:

Carolee, many thanks for the info!ClapClap
Hi TexGirlTongue....Anytime!Wink

Posted By: insomniac76
Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 3:19pm
One should also keep in mind that its often a matter of what you ASK FOR. Remember these are wholesalers providing hair for retailers to sell. so it is not assumed that ALL the hair purchased will be similar in texture etc... a little bit of common sense goes a long way. if you simply let it be known to your vendor that the hair is intended for ONE INSTALL and what your expectations are then at least you have given the vendor something to work off of. tell them that you are looking for hair that is VERY similar in characteristics and then you are MORE LIKLEY (NOT GUARANTEED) to get what you asked for, which to me is better than just clicking a button and hopeing the vendor will read your mind.

ETA: Also remember that NO ONES real hair is completely uniform in texture, color, length etc... virgin hair IMO best mimics the real inconsistencies in natural hair making it preferable for me. but i know if I PERSONALLY had mid back length hair it would not be maintenance or tangle free! keep this in mind

Posted By: insomniac76
Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 3:24pm
carolee betta PREACH! ALL BETS ARE OFF TILL THE FIRST SHAMPOO!

Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 7:21pm
Bump

Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 8:03pm
DIVVALICIOUS ... Carolee said it all. Thanks Carolee
DIVVALICIOUS ... don't give up on natural hair that doesn't do what you want it to do. Let it teach you what it needs. For instance, I started with daily diluted conditioner sprays on my WAG NC. Now, I don't spray it at all and it's even better than ever. I learned that lesson by accident. I don't expect that my next batch of WAG NC will necessarily require the same treatment. Start with less product, you can always add more.

Date Posted: Dec 01 2007 at 10:00pm
Ahhh!!! Thank you, oh great Teachers/Weave-sans!

Date Posted: Dec 02 2007 at 1:55am
Originally posted by insomniac76 insomniac76 wrote:

carolee betta PREACH! ALL BETS ARE OFF TILL THE FIRST SHAMPOO!
LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Dec 02 2007 at 9:12am
Doing the BUMP!!!LOL

Date Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 8:13am
Thumbs%20Up...bump

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Dec 05 2007 at 8:40am
I will be washing my hair TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: lelepi
Date Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 2:34pm
Look what I found......Great info....bump

Posted By: tenia_star
Date Posted: Dec 27 2007 at 4:29pm
ClapClap Thanks Carolee for posting this information. You and so many of the other ladies are always so willing to share information. I've been reading the 101 and newbie threads...there's sooo much info out here on BHM.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to take the Virgin/Indian hair leap. Especially to try Curly...I'm scurred of that beautiful, sultry Curly hairErmmEmbarrassed

Thanks to all who continue to post useful and candid information for us Virgin Hair Virgins Wink

Posted By: PrettyLA
Date Posted: Dec 29 2007 at 7:46pm
all i know is that I purchased hair from www.remyhairtoday.com and it definitely has to have been the worst indian hair purchase I have ever made. After washing and conditioning it numerous time it still feels as if it has product on it and won't even press completely straight! I usually buy from local sellers but I saw that they were cheaper so I decided to give them a try. I really regret it....and would like to try wagmans or halleys curls!

Print Page | Close Window