Forum Name: Hair Types
Forum Description: Discussions on Hair Types
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81738
Printed Date: Jan 23 2022 at 9:36pm

Topic: My hair type chart, with pics
Posted By: AfroGerman_Girl
Subject: My hair type chart, with pics
Date Posted: Jul 22 2007 at 6:14am
I have decided to try and replicate the hair type chart that http://www.blendedbeauty.net" rel="no follow - www.blendedbeauty.net used to have. For some reason they replaced it with a different chart, but I thought the old one was good. So I've triedto work from memory and replicate it as best as possible. I welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions for improvement!

Hair typing system by AfroGerman_girl (derived from the old hair typing system on http://www.blendedbeauty.net/" rel="no follow - www.blendedbeauty.net )

Type 1 straight hair
Type 1 Straight hair

Type 2a big loose waves

Type 2b smaller, tighter waves

Type 3a big, loose curls

Type 3b big cupid curls to small spiral curls

This group has up to 9 subtypes, categorized by size and tightness of curl

3b1

3b2

3b3
3b4
3b5

3b6

3b7

3b8

3b9

3c small, tight corkscrew curls

4a has a clearly visible curl and wave pattern that ranges from pen size curls to pen spring size coils

4b - has a tighter wave pattern and kinks of various size

Note: often you will find different curl types on the same head, so if your hair does not clearly fit into any of these categories, you have a combination of textures, which is common!

Also note that each hair type can be ranging from highly textured (i.e. coarse) to lowly textured (i.e. fine/silky).  

This is a good example of a loose curl that is highly textured.                                              

Replies:
Posted By: mackmeri122
Date Posted: Jul 22 2007 at 10:31am
with your hair typing system it looks as though I'm 3b8, 3c, and 4a all mixed together. But moreso 3c.

3b9 looks looser than 3b8.

Posted By: cSaint68
Date Posted: Jul 22 2007 at 10:38am
Thanks for posting AfroGerman_Girl!!

I didn't know the 3b catagory had so many subtypes.  Based on this I would say I'm a 3b3/3a underneath.

Date Posted: Jul 22 2007 at 11:24am
Originally posted by cSaint68 cSaint68 wrote:

Thanks for posting AfroGerman_Girl!!

I didn't know the 3b catagory had so many subtypes.  Based on this I would say I'm a 3b3/3a underneath.

Wow, you have such beautiful hair, so healthy-looking!Clap Yes, you look like a 3a or 3b1 in your avatar...

Posted By: loulou82
Date Posted: Jul 22 2007 at 11:31pm
Thanks for posting!! Once I go completely natural I'm going to use this thread but my NG looks like 3c/4a.

Posted By: Only1biancab
Date Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 10:34am
Blended Beauty has the same 4 category as Andre.  It has a better category for 3 but lots of blacks fall in the 4 range too.  Nappy hair is oversimplified.  LOIS is a little better but it needs pictures.

Posted By: mangachan
Date Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 3:23pm
^IA with Bianca.  There are alot of variations of type 4's that aren't being acknowledged.  Just my 2 cents.

Posted By: x_Nihl
Date Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 10:55pm
I don't see my hair type here...

Date Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 5:09am
I realise that this chart is not perfect. I looked for pictures that were as close as possible to the old BB typing system. Yes, 4 is probably oversimplified and the chart may be most useful to the type 3's. I think that Andre Walker system is too complicated, I really don't see the point in making it too complicated. Anyway, just thought I'd share

Posted By: samanthajones67
Date Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 3:39pm
This is awesome.
Thanks for posting. I think I can figure out my hair type now!

SJ

Date Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 5:15pm
Great! I'm glad that some people are finding it helpful. It's not exactly like the original one, because I had to find my own pictures. But it is close. I know it helped me a lot, although I feel as if I am going up and down on the chart all the time, depending on how I style my hair!LOL

Posted By: Romeosgirl81
Date Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 8:22pm
thanks for posting, can you tell me if i have 4a or 3c, look in my avator! tia

Date Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 4:53am
Romeosgirl, you look to me like you have 3b7 hairWink

Posted By: sperry4672
Date Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 9:27am
This is a great chart.   I really wish there were more hair charts that showed what different textures for each category looked like.  I'm supposedly 3b/3c, but most of the women I see with 3b hair have way less textured hair than me, so it's hard to use them as examples.

Posted By: Romeosgirl81
Date Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by AfroGerman_Girl AfroGerman_Girl wrote:

Romeosgirl, you look to me like you have 3b7 hair[IMG]http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley2.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Wink" />

thanks!

Date Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 9:20am

I realise that this chart is not perfect. I looked for pictures that were as close as possible to the old BB typing system. Anyway, just thought I'd share

No, it's great that you posted.  When I saw you said you might make a hair chart in the other thread, I just thought that it might be helpful to everybody on here not just straight 3s.  Even mixtures like 3c/4A is left the same.

But this is the system that Blended Beauty made because their products revolve around curls, so I understand.  

Date Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Only1biancab Only1biancab wrote:

I realise that this chart is not perfect. I looked for pictures that were as close as possible to the old BB typing system. Anyway, just thought I'd share

No, it's great that you posted.  When I saw you said you might make a hair chart in the other thread, I just thought that it might be helpful to everybody on here not just straight 3s.  Even mixtures like 3c/4A is left the same.

But this is the system that Blended Beauty made because their products revolve around curls, so I understand.  

I agree with you that not all 3a's, 3c's, 4a's and 4b's are created equal. I'm sure there are differences just like with type 3b. Apart from 3c (that's the type my daughter has), I have no personal experience with type 4 hair, so I'm not really savvy when it comes to this type. Maybe some members with type 4 hair could share on how to improve that part of the chart?Smile

Date Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 3:33pm
^Hmm, that's a good question.  To me, that 4b pic isn't clear.  I'm not sure how many categories there should be but I've seen at least two type besides 4a.

One of them has no curl pattern and it's in the 4 family.  It's kind of straight-ish.  And I've noticed on a couple of people on NP like natitwists (you can check nati's album: public.fotki.com/natitwists), Miss Popularity, Fatty_Girl06, Anais Karim.

And then there's the one with no curl pattern and lots of shrinkage called CNapps on NP.  Examples of people that have it, cheetarah, Nappy Me, AuNappturale (public.fotki.com/Aunappturale), SoulSista934 (public.fotki.com/SoulSista934), cheetarah, Nappy Me, guapa1.  Some would call it 4b, but 4b is supposed to be zs.  I'll leave room for the possiblity of that to exist and say that these are separate.

There's probably so many categories but those are the two I've seen the most examples of. 

Date Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Only1biancab Only1biancab wrote:

^Hmm, that's a good question.  To me, that 4b pic isn't clear.  I'm not sure how many categories there should be but I've seen at least two type besides 4a.

One of them has no curl pattern and it's in the 4 family.  It's kind of straight-ish.  And I've noticed on a couple of people on NP like natitwists (you can check nati's album: public.fotki.com/natitwists), Miss Popularity, Fatty_Girl06, Anais Karim.

And then there's the one with no curl pattern and lots of shrinkage called CNapps on NP.  Examples of people that have it, cheetarah, Nappy Me, AuNappturale (public.fotki.com/Aunappturale), SoulSista934 (public.fotki.com/SoulSista934), cheetarah, Nappy Me, guapa1.  Some would call it 4b, but 4b is supposed to be zs.  I'll leave room for the possiblity of that to exist and say that these are separate.

There's probably so many categories but those are the two I've seen the most examples of. 

When you say straight-ish: is it possible that it is highly textured type 1 hair?

Date Posted: Jul 27 2007 at 8:45pm
I don't think it fits into 1s.  It's an afro so it's a 4 to me, but it's really soft, fine hair.  I don't know how to describe it.  If you look in nati's album, you'll see what I mean.  Miss Popularity and Fatty Girl have the same type of hair but I've seen their pictures mainly in threads.  I dunno, it kinda looks like blowdried hair but it still a fro.  It's not like straight hair with frizz or anything like that.

Date Posted: Jul 28 2007 at 4:45am
I've had a look at natitwists's fotki, and to me her hair is a good example of lowly textured, fine 4a hair...

Posted By: emih19
Date Posted: Jul 28 2007 at 6:14am
afrogermangirl....this is great..thx ...i love it

Posted By: CJD212
Date Posted: Jul 28 2007 at 1:08pm

I have decided to try and replicate the hair type chart that http://www.blendedbeauty.net" rel="no follow - www.blendedbeauty.net used to have. For some reason they replaced it with a different chart, but I thought the old one was good. So I've triedto work from memory and replicate it as best as possible. I welcome any constructive criticism or suggestions for improvement!

Hair typing system by AfroGerman_girl (derived from the old hair typing system on http://www.blendedbeauty.net/" rel="no follow - www.blendedbeauty.net )

Type 1 straight hair
Type 1 Straight hair

Type 2a big loose waves

Type 2b smaller, tighter waves

Type 3a big, loose curls

Type 3b big cupid curls to small spiral curls

This group has up to 9 subtypes, categorized by size and tightness of curl

3b1

3b2

3b3
3b4
3b5

3b6

3b7

3b8

3b9

3c small, tight corkscrew curls

4a has a clearly visible curl and wave pattern that ranges from pen size curls to pen spring size coils

4b - has a tighter wave pattern and kinks of various size

Note: often you will find different curl types on the same head, so if your hair does not clearly fit into any of these categories, you have a combination of textures, which is common!

Also note that each hair type can be ranging from highly textured (i.e. coarse) to lowly textured (i.e. fine/silky).  

This is a good example of a loose curl that is highly textured.                                              

Thanks Afrogerman. I always thought I was a 3c/4a but with your chart, I am actually 3b8/3c.

Posted By: Coco_Sips781
Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 1:41am

Thanks Afro German Girl!Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: morning_glory
Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 6:32am
Wow, that 3b8 is GORGEOUS!! From this chart I would be a 2b/3a with bits of 3b1 when my hair wants to behave! 

Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 7:10am
Originally posted by aseya aseya wrote:

Wow, that 3b8 is GORGEOUS!! From this chart I would be a 2b/3a with bits of 3b1 when my hair wants to behave! 

It is, isn't it? Actually, after I made this chart, I realised that that lady with the 3b8 curls is Titi Branch, one of the Curve salon owners, and apparently she has a "silkener", so that is actually not her natural texture.Confused

Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 6:03pm

I've had a look at natitwists's fotki, and to me her hair is a good example of lowly textured, fine 4a hair...

It doesn't have curls so it doesn't look 4a to me.  If there's lowly textured and highly textured than most of those categories made for 3s wouldn't exist because they're not that different.  So if 3s can be split by slight variations then I think 4s can be split by variations too.  It doesn't have to all be grouped in 4a, 4b or any of the other existing categories, don't you think?

Or are you talking about making like a 4a1, 4a2 and stuff like that? 

Date Posted: Jul 30 2007 at 6:15am
The subcategories of 3b are defined by the curl size and tightness of curl. A 3b1 has much bigger and looser curls than a 3b6 or 3b8. However, they can be both lowly and highly textured (meaning, their individual hair strands can be ranging from fine and "silky" to coarse and kinky). The "texturedness" of the hair is a separate variable. You can even be a highly textured 2b, as that picture at the very end illustrates. In that fotki of natitwists, I can see a curl pattern, but her hair at the same time looks like the individual strands are very fine, unlike other 4a hair that is highly textured. I'm sure it is possible to sub-categorize 4a into 4a1, 4a2 etc., but that would then be based on the curl size and tightness, not how textured it is.

Date Posted: Jul 30 2007 at 8:26am
Right, since it's not curls, it would probably fit better in its own category like I was saying before.

Posted By: SuperNova
Date Posted: Jul 30 2007 at 11:04am
Thanks for the info.  I really needed this.  Now I know my hair type and my kids.

Date Posted: Jul 31 2007 at 7:31am
Originally posted by straightcurl straightcurl wrote:

Your're typing is okay but there's a few pictures in type 3 I wouldn't consider to be 3s. 2b pic is acutally a 3a.

I agree with you, that picture is not a good example. It looked better when I first selected it, but for some reason it was squashed up when I posted it! I will look for a better picture of 2b. Thanks for your suggestion!

ETA: I have replaced the picture for 2b with one that I found on naturallycurly.com' s hairtype chart.

Posted By: Niyaz
Date Posted: Jul 31 2007 at 9:23am
I'm a mix between 3b3, 3b7 and 3c! I like this chart AfroGerman! :D Danke! 

Posted By: MissFallon
Date Posted: Jul 31 2007 at 11:10am
I think I'm a mix of 3b3,3b7, and 3b4

Posted By: yassy
Date Posted: Jul 31 2007 at 11:48am
I dont see my type here either.

Date Posted: Jul 31 2007 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Niyaz Niyaz wrote:

I'm a mix between 3b3, 3b7 and 3c! I like this chart AfroGerman! :D Danke! 

Bitte schoen!Big%20smile

I sent a pic of myself in to the owner of BB (I'm actually on the website, as one of the customersWink), and she typed me a 3b4/3b5.

Yassy: I loooooove your hair! I would say you're a mix of 3c and 4a.Wink

Date Posted: Jul 31 2007 at 8:50pm
Thanks girl I know I am a 4 something but my hair just seems soooo frizzy and hard to type sometimes, sometimes it looks like a 4A then sometimes it looks like a 4B, then others see 3B, so I am so confused at timesWackoLOL

Posted By: cutiepie405
Date Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 1:03pm
thanks for posting!! 

Posted By: sanja
Date Posted: Aug 03 2007 at 6:56pm
what's this hair type?

http://www.veer.com/products/detail.aspx?image=ISP0592060" rel="no follow - http://www.veer.com/products/detail.aspx?image=ISP0592060

my hair looked mostly like that as a child.  i had very loose s-waves in the back (was it my nape?  i don't remember).  i know my hair type has changed over the years, but i'm still curious.

also -- you cannot type your hair when it's dry?

Date Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 6:19am
Originally posted by sanja sanja wrote:

what's this hair type?

http://www.veer.com/products/detail.aspx?image=ISP0592060" rel="no follow - http://www.veer.com/products/detail.aspx?image=ISP0592060

my hair looked mostly like that as a child.  i had very loose s-waves in the back (was it my nape?  i don't remember).  i know my hair type has changed over the years, but i'm still curious.

This hair in the picture you posted looks like a type 3b or 3c where the curls have been combed out. As a child, my mum used to comb my curls out too, so you couldn't see them. I can achieve this look by dry-combing my hair (which is bad for your hair!!). I'm not sure what you mean by not typing your hair when it's dry? Where did you read that?

Date Posted: Aug 04 2007 at 9:34pm
i didn't read it, somebody told me that a while ago.  i don't really know what they meant, so that's why i asked.

my hair was not combed out.  but thanks.Smile

Posted By: shabang_
Date Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 12:52pm
I think I'm a huge mix of 3b2, 3b4, 3b7 & 3b9.
Teehee, but probably mostly 3b7.

Posted By: morenae
Date Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:02pm
Good work AfroGerman girl! I really liked the old hair chart from Blended Beauty as well. It was the most useful I'd ever seen for my hairtype.

Some minor comments would be that many of the 3b's look like they should be 3c's. My hair resembles some of the 3b's according to your chart, but I really consider myself a 3c. But I do really understand that you had to work with the photos available to you.

Date Posted: Aug 08 2007 at 7:04pm
Another thought would be for someone to develop a chart that addresses both CURL SIZE and TEXTURE maybe with two columns of photos. Many people choose a photo that resembles their hair based on just the curl size or just the texture without realizing that just because your hair is coarse, less shiny, or frizzy like steel wool in texture you can still have loose curls - best exemplified in that last photo  of the chart.

And of course - someone also needs to develop a chart that addresses the diversity of 4 type hair. I've seen SO many lovely and different variations of 4 here on BHM.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 5:03am
Thanks for the suggestions, morenae! Looking at your picture, your lovely curls actually look like 3b to me, not 3c! My daughter definitely has 3c hair (I had stacey from Blended Beauty define her hair type for me), and her curls are tighter and smaller than yours. In my opinion - at least looking at your pic - your curls are not small or tight enough to be 3c...you would definitely go in the 3b category, probably 3b7...just my opinion though!Embarrassed As for the diversity of type 4 hair, I totally agree with you! I think some type 4 members should chime in with pics etc. because I don't have much experience with this type of hair.

Posted By: Kimiche
Date Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 12:57pm

what's this hair type?

This hair in the picture you posted looks like a type 3b or 3c where the curls have been combed out. As a child, my mum used to comb my curls out too, so you couldn't see them. I can achieve this look by dry-combing my hair (which is bad for your hair!!). I'm not sure what you mean by not typing your hair when it's dry? Where did you read that?

As a child, my hair sorta looked like the hair in that pic too, but a little more coarse.  Boy I hated getting my hair combed, because it hurt.  Would that be classified as a 4 since it's a little more coarse?  I don't have any pics to show.  I have to get relaxers now, going natural just wouldn't work for me.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Kimiche Kimiche wrote:

what's this hair type?

As a child, my hair sorta looked like the hair in that pic too, but a little more coarse.  Boy I hated getting my hair combed, because it hurt.  Would that be classified as a 4 since it's a little more coarse?  I don't have any pics to show.  I have to get relaxers now, going natural just wouldn't work for me.

exactly!  it was coarse (it wasn't at first, but as i got a little older it started getting coarse) and i couldn't stand to have my hair combed.

i thought this was maybe 4b hair or something, but i don't know.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 11:44pm

Good topic.

Date Posted: Aug 09 2007 at 11:53pm

Originally posted by Kimiche Kimiche wrote:

what's this hair type?

exactly!  it was coarse (it wasn't at first, but as i got a little older it started getting coarse) and i couldn't stand to have my hair combed.

i thought this was maybe 4b hair or something, but i don't know.

I think that I may be a 4.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 1:04pm
AfroGerman Girl -

3b? Naw...now here you go giving me an identity crisis...LOL!

Date Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 1:17pm
LOL@ identity crisis!LOL
I also had a look at your other pictures, and it still looks like a 3b subtype to me...have you ever seen a picture of Stacey Canfield, the owner of Blended Beauty? She describes herself as a 3b7, and her hair is very similar to yours, although perhaps your curls couls be slightly tighter, but not much. You may be a 3b7 or 3b8 in this typing system, but definitely not a 3c, because my daughter is most definitely a 3c and has smaller and tighter curls.Wink
But in other hair charts you would be 3c...even Rachel True is described a s a 3c in a lot of systems, and I absolutely disagree with that!

Date Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 1:27pm
Ok then, then yes - by Stacey's chart I am indeed in the 3b7 area. I've always thought her hair to be most similar to mine, but I've never known how she's categorized it. And Rachel True has always been the "3c poster child" on other charts, so I've always adopted the label by default. So, I see what you mean! Gee wiz - what a science.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2007 at 1:35pm
Of course, an alternative would be to broaden the 3c category, simply by splitting the 3b category in half and assigning half of the subtypes to 3b and half to 3c...so basically, there would be a 3b1 to 3b4, and then a 3c1 to 3c4. It's all polemics. LOL

Date Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 12:38am
Afro-GermanGirl:

Here's a chart of "coils & curls" someone else attempted out there that is similar to yours: http://www.trinihair.com/" rel="no follow - http://www.trinihair.com/

Date Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 9:49am
Thanks for posting!
Not bad, although it looks a bit inconsistent (like mine, I guessLOL) - for example, I don't think Holly Robinson-Pete has smaller or tighter curls than Mel B. Jada, on the other hand, should be a C3 in this system, not a C2.

Posted By: Pisceanshine
Date Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 12:55pm
I'm still confused. My hair is growing back out. If its uncombed and i run my fingers through it, its feel wavy and when i brush out the front it looks wavy but when i run my fingers over it, it feels straight with a slight wave. Problem is that my hair is has small waves that lie very close together, not curls, just waves. It looks like  C4 in the coils chart, but should I feel more wave when its brushed or combed? Help!

Posted By: Carib_n_curly
Date Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 1:21pm
OMG i think I'm a full 3b i thought i was a 3b/c my hair types keeps and gets more and more 3b i think my hair is a 3b1, 3b2, 3b4 and 3b7 in my hair with a little 2c and 3c and a couple sections of 1a by my ears ( i'm suppose to be natural WTF )i think my hair is confused it doesn't know what it wants to be but thanks AfroGerman_Girl this is a lot of help.

Posted By: Imsopretty
Date Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 11:37pm
Wow I always thought my hair is 3ab - bases upon these pics Id says its more 3c with some 3b and some 4a. What do you Ladies think?

I have major curl defination in the front sides and back- I have courser but still defined hair in the middle.

My nape is v. fine, shiny and it as loose curls ( prolly 3b- I think)

When I brush out my hair it looks light and airy even in a thick puff

HELP! lol

Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 5:37am
Originally posted by Imsopretty Imsopretty wrote:

Wow I always thought my hair is 3ab - bases upon these pics Id says its more 3c with some 3b and some 4a. What do you Ladies think?

I have major curl defination in the front sides and back- I have courser but still defined hair in the middle.

My nape is v. fine, shiny and it as loose curls ( prolly 3b- I think)

When I brush out my hair it looks light and airy even in a thick puff

HELP! lol

Your hair looks like a mix of 3b8/3b9 and 3c.Wink

Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 12:32pm
thanks :) I was just checking out blended beauty.com Has anyone tried the happy nappy styles?

Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 1:51pm
Yes I have tried it, but that was back when Stacey was still mixing the products by hand. She now employs a company to mix the products and I haven't tried HNS since the switchover, so I can't say what it is like now, although I doubt that it will be much different. Back when I used it, it was great! No heavy greasy afterfeel, and extremely moisturizing and curl-defining! I would highly recommend it.

Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 7:02pm
what is the real diff b/t 3c and 4a? I have gone to numerous sights about hair typing and at times their def blend together.

Posted By: Starr-Kry
Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 8:04pm
would this make me a 3b7,3b9?

Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by mackmeri122 mackmeri122 wrote:

what is the real diff b/t 3c and 4a? I have gone to numerous sights about hair typing and at times their def blend together.

IMO more definiton in the curls and a finer texture. I think 4a is defined but with  coarser texture- Someone will correct me if Im wrong.

Date Posted: Aug 15 2007 at 9:26pm

Yes I have tried it, but that was back when Stacey was still mixing the products by hand. She now employs a company to mix the products and I haven't tried HNS since the switchover, so I can't say what it is like now, although I doubt that it will be much different. Back when I used it, it was great! No heavy greasy afterfeel, and extremely moisturizing and curl-defining! I would highly recommend it.

Thanks, Im going to try it on my next order.

Posted By: carli_80
Date Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 5:02am

thanks :) I was just checking out blended beauty.com Has anyone tried the happy nappy styles?

It's one of my favourite products, I don't even what hair type i am according to this chart that afrogerman girl posted but the regular system I consider myself 3b/c.
 I think Happy Nappy is aimed at tighter hair? I may be wrong but I still love it and it works really well for me.

Date Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:03am

IMO more definiton in the curls and a finer texture. I think 4a is defined but with  coarser texture- Someone will correct me if Im wrong.

The curls on 3c hair aren't as tight as those on 4a.    4a types have coils.  Hair in the 4's doesn't have to be course either.  My sister has 4a/4b type hair and the strands are very fine.

Posted By: Dehinds
Date Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 6:57am
Good chart. Well I know that my hair is type 4 like I  always suspectedLOL

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Aug 20 2007 at 5:53pm
that was good info i think im a 4b when it wet my hait is kinda curly and when i put the glycein on it stays curly so i think im a 4b or 4a and i have short hair so i dont know the texture yet

Date Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 4:14am
If youre hair has a curl pattern to it, then you are not a 4b - 4b doesn't have a defined curl pattern, it has a z shape.Wink

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Aug 21 2007 at 11:04am
Thanks alot all this time i thought i was 4b

Posted By: Wittystyle
Date Posted: Aug 23 2007 at 8:33pm

Hi everyone, I am a new member and I have a question. I have small tight corkscrew curls in most parts of my head and the other parts are a little loosely coiled, but its neither fine or course and its thin, what hair type is that?

Posted By: ErekaT
Date Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 2:57pm
This was a HUGE help.  I had no clue what type of hair I had.  Looks like I have 3c around the edges and 4a at the crown.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Wittystyle Wittystyle wrote:

Hi everyone, I am a new member and I have a question. I have small tight corkscrew curls in most parts of my head and the other parts are a little loosely coiled, but its neither fine or course and its thin, what hair type is that?

1a-4z has nothing to do with texture but with tightness or lack or tightness of curl and shape. 

It sounds as though you have 3c/4a, but I really can't be for certain w/o pics.

Date Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 7:28am

1a-4z has nothing to do with texture but with tightness or lack or tightness of curl and shape. 

It sounds as though you have 3c/4a, but I really can't be for certain w/o pics.

You are absolutely right!Clap

People often confuse texture with curl size & shape. When in fact all hair types can be highly to lowly textured.

I used to have a white friend who had bone straight hair which was quite coarse, like yaki hair! It was naturally like that!

My daughter is on the other end of the spectrum - she has very fine 3c hair.

Texture seems to be an independent variable - it has nothing to do with curl size & shape.

Posted By: Napp
Date Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 12:05am
could you break down the 4a into
4a1 skinny marker sized
4a2 pencil sized
4a3 pen spring sized

i was also thinking that more that likley you cannot have 1 type of 4a on a head so is this why 4a is called 4a because it means the blend of the various curl sizes. then 4a makes more sense without making sub categories.

Date Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 11:07am
Quick question...

4b has no curl but is wavy right? So what's the real difference b/t 4b and the 2s? The depth of the wave?

Date Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 12:30pm

Quick question...

4b has no curl but is wavy right? So what's the real difference b/t 4b and the 2s? The depth of the wave?

I'm not really sure that 4b is wavy...it doesn't have a wavy appearance at all. If you look at an inidividual strand, it has an irregular Z-pattern - it bends at sharp angles, whereas waves are s-shaped and regular.

Date Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 2:53pm

Quick question...

I'm not really sure that 4b is wavy...it doesn't have a wavy appearance at all. If you look at an inidividual strand, it has an irregular Z-pattern - it bends at sharp angles, whereas waves are s-shaped and regular.

OK......thank youBig%20smile

Posted By: plastic
Date Posted: Aug 30 2007 at 5:29pm
i dunnoo.....

but 3b5 looks like a rod set
and 3b9 seems to have looser curls than both 3b7 and 8

Date Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 8:39pm

Check out my photos, I hope it helps 

http://public.fotki.com/Wittystyle/from-start-to-finish/" rel="no follow - http://public.fotki.com/Wittystyle/from-start-to-finish/

Date Posted: Sep 02 2007 at 7:17pm

Check out my photos, I hope it helps 

http://public.fotki.com/Wittystyle/from-start-to-finish/" rel="no follow - http://public.fotki.com/Wittystyle/from-start-to-finish/

I'm not the best at this but your hair looks like it's in the 3bs.

Date Posted: Sep 02 2007 at 9:20pm
I thought It could be 3c/4a idk just a guess but thank you

Date Posted: Sep 03 2007 at 3:22am

I thought It could be 3c/4a idk just a guess but thank you

Your curl is too loose to be a 3c/4a. The reason you are thinking this might be because your hair is highly textured, rather than fine. It looks to me like a combination of 3b5/3b6/3b7.Wink

Posted By: jazzy413
Date Posted: Sep 04 2007 at 9:36am
Hi Im new to the site... I was wondering what my hair type would be??  Can someone take a look at my fotki and tell megat they think please?

Date Posted: Sep 05 2007 at 6:14am
Originally posted by jazzy413 jazzy413 wrote:

Hi Im new to the site... I was wondering what my hair type would be??  Can someone take a look at my fotki and tell megat they think please?

Have you got a pic where you have at least 3-4 inches of new growth? That is the minimum you need to be able to tell...

Posted By: Longlegs
Date Posted: Sep 09 2007 at 8:48am
Afro German^^^
I was wondering if you could post more pics of type 3c. I tried to do a search but it failed. I see some members with 3c hair type but it seems to be so varied. 

Date Posted: Sep 09 2007 at 9:47pm
I dont know, most of the "3" somethings look alot like "4" somethings. I have noticed over the last few years that the 3's seem to be getting kinkier and kinkier. It seems as if the 4's dont want to be "4" they want so desperately to be a 3's.

Some of these ladies are typing their hair while wet, and thats not a true typing. MY hair is super curly when wet but while dry it alot less curly.

If we keep going at this rate in the next 10 years Whoopie Goldberg is going to be typed as a "3b"!LOL

There is nothing wrong with 4a,b hair, I am a 4a 4b and my hair is prettyWink

Date Posted: Sep 10 2007 at 3:54am
Originally posted by yassy yassy wrote:

I dont know, most of the "3" somethings look alot like "4" somethings. I have noticed over the last few years that the 3's seem to be getting kinkier and kinkier. It seems as if the 4's dont want to be "4" they want so desperately to be a 3's.

Some of these ladies are typing their hair while wet, and thats not a true typing. MY hair is super curly when wet but while dry it alot less curly.

If we keep going at this rate in the next 10 years Whoopie Goldberg is going to be typed as a "3b"!LOL

There is nothing wrong with 4a,b hair, I am a 4a 4b and my hair is prettyWink

I don't agree.
The basic premise behind this chart is that type 3 hair has a visible curl to it, which type 4 does not - although 4a hair consists of tiny curls when you take individual strands and look at them, on the whole, type 4a and 4b has that natural "Afro appearance" which the other hair types are less likely to have (unless you comb the curls out). And it is beautiful!Clap But that's what distinguishes type 4 hair from other hair types.

To me, this makes sense. I don't think it has anything to do with "not wanting to have type 4 hair". However, I do think that the type 4 could be broken down into more than just 4a and 4b. That is why I asked some of the ladies with these hair types to chime in here and help me expand the chart. I don't have enough experience with this hair type - I know my husband has 4a hair, but he cuts it real low, and I believe my mum had 4a or 4b hair, but she always relaxed it.

I think the charts you are referring to which lump some type 3's into the 4 category have been devised by people who don't know a lot about our hair (e.g. Andre Walker or other white people). Hence the impression that charts such as mine/BB are "trying to be type 3", when in fact it is simply trying to implement more differentiation.Wink

ETA: but I totally agree with you about the typing your hair when it is wet -issue. That is NOT an accurate way of determining yourhair type. Water temporarily breaks down the disulfide bonds in your hair and its weight elongates your curl. I have pointed this out before.

Date Posted: Sep 10 2007 at 4:52am

http://www.blendedbeauty.com/images/type4-2.jpg" rel="no follow - http://www.blendedbeauty.com/images/type4-2.jpg ">

more examples of 3c hair

Posted By: Longlegs
Date Posted: Sep 10 2007 at 4:51pm
Thank you, Afro  German Girl.Smile My hair has a visible curl but feels like a 4a. If that makes sense. Because when I wake up in the morning my hair is very dense before any manipulation.

Date Posted: Sep 10 2007 at 7:16pm
I think Robert Ri'chard may be a 3c also

Posted By: Emmetta
Date Posted: Sep 10 2007 at 11:43pm
I like the subcategories this chart is really detailed.

Posted By: Luvangel330
Date Posted: Sep 12 2007 at 2:35am
I like this chart...better then what I've seen so far...I finally have a cleaer view of what hair type i might be (4a fine) Hopefully there will be more input from the poster and others adding to this thread to  elaborate on the "4" type with pictures

Date Posted: Sep 12 2007 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Luvangel330 Luvangel330 wrote:

I like this chart...better then what I've seen so far...I finally have a cleaer view of what hair type i might be (4a fine) Hopefully there will be more input from the poster and others adding to this thread to  elaborate on the "4" type with pictures

I am really grateful for both the positive feedback and the constructive criticism I have received!Smile And I too hope someone who is more knowledgeable than me about type 4 hair can jump in and post some pics of the different types that there are!

Posted By: BiancaMaggie
Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 10:25am
 Thanks for the new 3c pics AFG I'm def a 3c. Thanks!

Posted By: LaLaa
Date Posted: Sep 18 2007 at 9:49am

This is a very old pic of me when i use to wear my hair. Now im stuck on weaves. i do have a relaxer but is it possible to tell from my ponytail? I would really like to know my hair type. Thanks.

Date Posted: Sep 18 2007 at 10:04am
Originally posted by LaLaa LaLaa wrote:

This is a very old pic of me when i use to wear my hair. Now im stuck on weaves. i do have a relaxer but is it possible to tell from my ponytail? I would really like to know my hair type. Thanks.

I'm afraid it's impossible to tell your hairtype as it is relaxed. Please have  a look at this thread:
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=90294" rel="no follow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=90294

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Posted By: LaLaa
Date Posted: Sep 18 2007 at 10:07am
ok....thanks anyway.

Date Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 8:20pm
Since you wanted more info on type four here goes.  Part of my sisters hair is 4b.  The rest of it has REALLY teeny coils.  They were very defined when her hair was just growing in but now they don't seem to clump, it might be the products she's using, I dunno.  I've tried to type her hair but I'm stumped.  Does anyone have hair like that?

Date Posted: Sep 24 2007 at 6:18pm
BUMP

Print Page | Close Window