Forum Name: Pressing
Forum Description: Discussion on Pressing Hair
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=76530
Printed Date: Dec 17 2018 at 9:11am

Topic: Flat Ironing Routine
Posted By: Blessed One
Subject: Flat Ironing Routine
Date Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 9:47pm
I have been pressing my hair for years but I would like to try flat ironing it.  When I attempted to flat iron it some months ago, it didn't go very well.  I noticed that when I press my hair and perhaps need a touch up, I love how straight and flowing the flat iron makes my hair with Beyond Straight heat protector but when I try to flat iron it after it dries from washing and conditioning, it doesn't come out good.  What do you guys do?  Do you blow dry, lightly press first, or what for optimal flat ironing results?  My routine is Nexxus shampoo, Pantene Relaxed and Natural conditioner (30 minutes), Neutrogena Triple Moisture leave in, sealed with castor and olive oil.  Thanks in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: LPGURL
Date Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 9:56pm
For my daughter who has BSL length, I wash, condition, leave-in/thermal protector, and blow dry it extremely straight.  Next I flat iron and use a pressing comb on the edges.  I do often times, alternate between a pressing comb and a  flat iron.  Make double sure you almost get the desired straightness after your blow drying.  That is key!

Posted By: mslitta
Date Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 1:07am
when i flat iron my hair i get great results in the front but in the back where i can barely see i neglect it. so for to press my hair and then go over it with a flat iron to get the silkier look. i follow up by wrapping my hair and when i un wrap it my hair is super straight. Also I blowdry my hair very straight otherwise if i try to air dry and then press i will be in pain. I have lots of hair.

Posted By: mrsfredcaples
Date Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 3:04pm
I blow dry with kemi oyl. Then I flat iron my hair. This works for me. My hair is thick and long. Hope this helps. My hubby loves running his hands over my hair. [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 7:37pm
After i wash my own hair i let it sit for a little, then comb through it with my comb, then after I use a blow dryer that has the comb piece attached to it. Then I use the flat iron (with a heat protecting product), but I section off my hair into parts when i use the flat iron. Next, i press it myself, i try not to use the pressing comb that much, I just get the parts that the flat iron didnt get. But then i go over it with a curling iron. But i know what u mean about how after u wash it, the flat iron doesnt give u that straight flowing hair. With my hair I have to flat iron it again in the next couple of days, because then my hair sort of settles down into a pattern. I try not to flat iron it too much (heat damage), just sometimes doing it once doesnt work for me, thats why i wait and do it one more time in the week and then no more.

Posted By: sweetjade0327
Date Posted: Jun 26 2007 at 12:26am
my routine is pretty simple. i wash with precise & herbal essences shampoo...LOL...luv that stuff, both are mixed together. then i condition with coconut cond, herbal essence cond, motions cond & porosity control all mixed together in this tub and let sit for ten mins, then wash. i section my hair in two, add a little profective cream to my scalp & hair along w/beyond straight heat protectant & blow dry w/my hot air brush. then flat iron my hair in small sections.

Posted By: StrayFish
Date Posted: Jun 26 2007 at 9:11am

Lets keep this thread going with more info from pressing pro's. I rarely leave my hair out long enough, i look forward to the day i won't have to wear braids. So i need more ideas. Thanks for those contributing.

Posted By: socialite101
Date Posted: Jun 26 2007 at 3:58pm
I wash my hair with Creme of Nature then condition with Parnevu. I then apply generous amounts of Parnevu tea-Tree Leave In Conditioner to my wet hair, comb and detangle it and part it it into small sections.
Then I do a thorough blow dry, section by section, and get it as straight as possible. That is definitely the key to a good press, as mentioned before.
Next, I start at the bottom and press my hair in tiny pieces, using no product. Yes, no product.
Then, I go back through my hair and flat iron it with a small ceramic.
Then wrap.
That's it. By using no product, my hair bounces and blows in the wind, has tons of body and is healthy-looking and fluffy with natural shine.  the only product I ever put in my hair besides the initial leave-in conditioner is a little wax to make my edges lay down well.
Some may think I am crazy, but my natural hair can take the heat of a hot comb and iron, and the no product thing really makes for beautiful, alive hair.
I get soo many compliments on my hair from people.  They really notice the difference:)

Posted By: kmbrri
Date Posted: Jun 30 2007 at 7:51pm
Thanks Socialite!
I am going to try this right now.  I am going to use moisture lotion while blow drying because my hair is so dry from my relaxer.  I will definitely benefit from your advise about a thorough, sectioned blow dry.  My hair is super thick.  My mom used to get angry everytime she had to do my hair.  Lol.  She'd be all day on my head.  Now I have to spend all day on it.  She was right about how much trouble it takes to make it lay down right. 
P.S.  (your hair is tight and fresh)

Date Posted: Jun 30 2007 at 8:54pm
Wow socialite! no products? how about heat protectors?

Posted By: cara
Date Posted: Jul 01 2007 at 11:48am
Originally posted by Raisinm7 Raisinm7 wrote:

Wow socialite! no products? how about heat protectors?

I wonder about this too.  Flat iron instructions usually tell you that hair should be free of all styling products, creams etc before you flat iron, but on the other hand, we're told to be sure to use heat protectors before flat ironing. I always use heat protectors.  

The ceramic coating of my Gold n' Hot started flaking off around the edges after the fourth use, while huge sections of the ceramic coating on my Andis flat iron came off the very first time I used it.  In both cases I wondered whether using styling products (heat protectors) before flat ironing had anything to do with the damage to the irons.

I don't know.  I'm tempted to follow the instructions not to use any kinda products, but at the same time I'm scared not to use some kind of heat protection...

Date Posted: Jul 01 2007 at 7:54pm
Thanks for the compliment kmbrri!!!Tongue
Here's a before and after of my hair press.
Cara...I know it seems dangerous to put the heat on your hair with no protectant or something...In fact, it goes against everything we (most black women) have seen growing up with all the greases, oils, etc.  I think it does matter what texture your hair is, too. I have super thick hair that is a huge curly afro when wet.  But it's healthy and strong and can take lots of heat.  I have started using tiny amounts of a moisturizer on it, though, between presses.  I like the Org. Root Stim Olive Oil.  But literally, just a drop.  My pet peave is products that weigh down the hair.  I see so many women with beautiful hair that just won't move because of all the...stuff.. that's in itErmm

Posted By: ncaggie08
Date Posted: Jul 01 2007 at 9:37pm
Socialite: you have really beautiful hair.

Posted By: ncaggie08
Date Posted: Jul 01 2007 at 9:38pm

Date Posted: Jul 02 2007 at 8:50am
Originally posted by ncaggie08 ncaggie08 wrote:

Thank you so muchSmile I have a love-hate relationship with my hair, so that means a lotSmile

Posted By: Leobody
Date Posted: Jul 02 2007 at 5:03pm
^^Very healthy, sparkling hair.

I wash & condition with Pantene Smooth & Sleek, make two braids & let airdry, then Maxiglide. I don't use any styling products since they either make my hair limp & dirty or dry.

Posted By: pamken122
Date Posted: Jul 04 2007 at 5:39pm
Your hair is beautiful, do you press yourself or get it done regularly, if so how often do you go?

Date Posted: Jul 05 2007 at 8:06pm
Leobody, your hair is gorgeous!! How do you maintain it?

Date Posted: Jul 05 2007 at 9:41pm
I am scared to press without products but i will try when i take off my braids.

Posted By: ohioshorty06
Date Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 12:20am
After a wash and deep condition and changing my routine 23984729834 times, I found a way that works.  I part my whole head in 4 sections and I start in the back and use my spray leave-in and a tiny bit of coconut oil grease on thin sections and flat iron.  My hair comes out looking like a fresh relaxer.

Posted By: BeautyWitch
Date Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 12:50am
Originally posted by Raisinm7 Raisinm7 wrote:

I am scared to press without products but i will try when i take off my braids.
The less products you use the better your hair looks. All you really need is a leave-in and heat protectant.

Posted By: Leobody
Date Posted: Jul 06 2007 at 5:16pm
Thanks Socialite. Same to you fellow natural.

Leaving it alone as much as possible, throwing away my blowdryer, & not putting lots of product on it. My avatar pics are usually taken before I go out since my hair is basically in two pigtails everyday.

Posted By: ivyqueen85
Date Posted: Jul 08 2007 at 9:54am
Originally posted by socialite101 socialite101 wrote:

I wash my hair with Creme of Nature then condition with Parnevu. I then apply generous amounts of Parnevu tea-Tree Leave In Conditioner to my wet hair, comb and detangle it and part it it into small sections.
Then I do a thorough blow dry, section by section, and get it as straight as possible. That is definitely the key to a good press, as mentioned before.
Next, I start at the bottom and press my hair in tiny pieces, using no product. Yes, no product.
Then, I go back through my hair and flat iron it with a small ceramic.
Then wrap.
That's it. By using no product, my hair bounces and blows in the wind, has tons of body and is healthy-looking and fluffy with natural shine.  the only product I ever put in my hair besides the initial leave-in conditioner is a little wax to make my edges lay down well.
Some may think I am crazy, but my natural hair can take the heat of a hot comb and iron, and the no product thing really makes for beautiful, alive hair.
I get soo many compliments on my hair from people.  They really notice the difference:)

ITA, that is how I do my hair, and my hair comes out looking like I just relaxed my hair. Before I shampoo my hair, I put deep conditioner on my hair, so it won't break the hair so much.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2007 at 7:40pm
Okay, so I just pressed my hair out yesterday and my blowdry was the bomb, so my press cam out bone straight. But my ends were looking kind of dry. So I squirted a dime-sized amount of Luster's Moisture Max (blue and white bottle) onto my sink and used my finger to dab tiny amounts onto the ends of my pressed hair only. Then I brushed and wrapped my hair. It was so beautiful this morning!
I think Moisture Max is one of the best, least greasy moisturizers you can get, IMO.

Posted By: cookingirl
Date Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 12:59pm
I just began straightening my hair after a long time of wearing it either curly or weaved up.  I wash it and then use a "reconstructor" to keep damage from occuring.  Then I rinse that out.  I then spray in lotta body throughout my hair.  I start at the nap of my neck and work up blow drying small sections getting it as straight as I can (i use a comb on the end of the blow dryer)  Then I take my flat iron and start from the nape of the neck and work up and flat iron 1-2 inch small sections at a time until I get to the top of the head.  After I finish flat ironing I make sure i wrap it each night.  The Lotta body is the Only styling product I use.  My hair is bouncy and not weighed down and shiny.  I tried using one of those heat protectors and I did not like how it made my hair look and feel.  Attached is a picture.

Posted By: MzArie
Date Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 4:06pm
I basically wash and condition, comb it through wit a medium size comb, rub high frequenzy heat protectant through out it, and then some ion straightening creme, then I blowdry with a round blow dry brush using the dominican/egyptian technique, and once im done my hair is straight like a perm but I have fine hair so it gets into fly away mode so I have to weight it down by adding a polisher or serum and flat ironing.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2007 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by cookingirl cookingirl wrote:

I just began straightening my hair after a long time of wearing it either curly or weaved up.  I wash it and then use a "reconstructor" to keep damage from occuring.  Then I rinse that out.  I then spray in lotta body throughout my hair.  I start at the nap of my neck and work up blow drying small sections getting it as straight as I can (i use a comb on the end of the blow dryer)  Then I take my flat iron and start from the nape of the neck and work up and flat iron 1-2 inch small sections at a time until I get to the top of the head.  After I finish flat ironing I make sure i wrap it each night.  The Lotta body is the Only styling product I use.  My hair is bouncy and not weighed down and shiny.  I tried using one of those heat protectors and I did not like how it made my hair look and feel.  Attached is a picture.[IMG]http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/uploads/20070710_125646_DSCN0952.JPG" height="479" width="640" />

Girl, your hair looks great! Lottabody? I think I've heard of it, but what exactly is it/ does it do. Are you all natural, b/c I could never get my hair that straight without a comb...

Posted By: miss_westindies
Date Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 9:02am
Thanx for everyone's posts, beautiful hair socialite.

Date Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 1:31pm

I just began straightening my hair after a long time of wearing it either curly or weaved up.  I wash it and then use a "reconstructor" to keep damage from occuring.  Then I rinse that out.  I then spray in lotta body throughout my hair.  I start at the nap of my neck and work up blow drying small sections getting it as straight as I can (i use a comb on the end of the blow dryer)  Then I take my flat iron and start from the nape of the neck and work up and flat iron 1-2 inch small sections at a time until I get to the top of the head.  After I finish flat ironing I make sure i wrap it each night.  The Lotta body is the Only styling product I use.  My hair is bouncy and not weighed down and shiny.  I tried using one of those heat protectors and I did not like how it made my hair look and feel.  Attached is a picture.[IMG]http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/uploads/20070710_125646_DSCN0952.JPG" height="479" width="640" />

Girl, your hair looks great! Lottabody? I think I've heard of it, but what exactly is it/ does it do. Are you all natural, b/c I could never get my hair that straight without a comb...
Thanks!  I am all natural.  If you go to my fotki you can see my hair journey to get healthy hair after damaging it with too much color.  Lotta body is a setting lotion.  I buy it at Sally's but you can buy it other places.  The directions are on the bottle but I usually dilute it 1 part lotta body and 3 parts water in a spray bottle.  It is what makes my hair bouncy and soft.  You can also use it to wet set your hair also.  I used to use a straightening comb but not anymore.  If you do small sections blow drying it with the lotta body and a Hot blow dryer and comb on the end of it and a good flat iron you can get it that straight. I think in my fotki is a pic of my hair blow dried also and it is BIG.  The flat iron gets it straight. 

Date Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 1:32pm

by the way your hair is GORGEOUS!

Date Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 3:22pm

Girl, your hair looks great! Lottabody? I think I've heard of it, but what exactly is it/ does it do. Are you all natural, b/c I could never get my hair that straight without a comb... [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />
Thanks!  I am all natural.  If you go to my fotki you can see my hair journey to get healthy hair after damaging it with too much color.  Lotta body is a setting lotion.  I buy it at Sally's but you can buy it other places.  The directions are on the bottle but I usually dilute it 1 part lotta body and 3 parts water in a spray bottle.  It is what makes my hair bouncy and soft.  You can also use it to wet set your hair also.  I used to use a straightening comb but not anymore.  If you do small sections blow drying it with the lotta body and a Hot blow dryer and comb on the end of it and a good flat iron you can get it that straight. I think in my fotki is a pic of my hair blow dried also and it is BIG.  The flat iron gets it straight. 

OK-- I'm going to try out your regimen next week. I saw the pics in your fotki with your hair blowdried and although mine is definitely a bit "bigger" than yours, it's comparable....SO, I'm gonna try no comb and only blowdry and flat iron. I currently use a Jibere' Ceramic blowdryer with a (taped on) comb on the end that does wonders when I do small sections.
I just still can't believe the flat iron alone is gonna get my hair straight. But we'll see [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" /> And oh, do I hope so!! If I can cut the hot comb out of the equation my hair would be sooo much more healthy...and it would take way less time to do. Thanks!

Date Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by miss_westindies miss_westindies wrote:

Thanks lady!! I saw your Fotki and am curious about your experience with Henna...
I'm seriously thinking about trying it. Please share!!

Date Posted: Jul 11 2007 at 7:06pm
Sorry about this last empty post.  Don't know how to erase the thingEmbarrassed

Date Posted: Jul 12 2007 at 4:45am

Originally posted by miss_westindies miss_westindies wrote:

Thanks lady!! I saw your Fotki and am curious about your experience with Henna...
I'm seriously thinking about trying it. Please share!!

No prob, I would definately recommend it; I only do it every 2 months because it's quite time consuming but the results are super black hair. The only piece of advice I would give is rinse the henna really well then shampoo and condition it out- it even helps if you add just a touch of conditioner to the henna so it rinses out easily, by the way I've used Lush henna and not the powdered form. HTH

Posted By: Booshaitian
Date Posted: Jul 13 2007 at 11:28am
What kind of flat iron do you guys use to get your hair bone straight like that?! How often do you straighten your hair?!?!..I'd think too much heat in the week would be damaging. When I was natural lon ago, I didn't use any
heat protectant when I straightened, I think that's a great idea, now back to square one for me..thanks ladies!

Date Posted: Jul 13 2007 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by NanaBoo NanaBoo wrote:

What kind of flat iron do you guys use to get your hair bone straight like that?! How often do you straighten your hair?!?!..I'd think too much heat in the week would be damaging. When I was natural lon ago, I didn't use any
heat protectant when I straightened, I think that's a great idea, now back to square one for me..thanks ladies!

Hi I press my hair with a comb and oven and then go over the press with ceramic, 1 inch flat irons. My flat irons are Thompsons Jade Ceramics, about $40, but hard to find. It heats to about 450 degrees hottest and the jade plates protect your hair. I press about every 3 weeks to month and flat iron a bit several times during the week in summer, almost none in fall and winter (when there's no humdity).

Date Posted: Jul 13 2007 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by NanaBoo NanaBoo wrote:

I only use a blow dryer with a comb attachment and then I have two flat irons.  I have a 1 inch fake CHI from Sally's that is pink ceramic flat iron and a Jibere (also from Sally's) 1 1/2 inch Ceramic flat iron.  They both get about 450 degrees.   I only do it once every two weeks.  Every night I wrap it and it stays like that. I don't use the heat once I get it straightened until I wash it again!

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Jul 21 2007 at 11:35pm
im so happy i've found this thread
i've been looking all over the place for some good flatironing advice

Date Posted: Jul 22 2007 at 7:19pm
OK, I cannot believe I have been pressing and flat ironing my hair for the ENTIRE two plus years I've been natural! Today, I took Cookingirl's (thanks girl!!) advice and just blow dried and flat ironed my hair... and do you know it got even straighter than it normally does with the hot comb??!! I don't know how in the world that can be. But what I do know is that this new routine has me sooooo excited about my natural hair and my ability to manage it. For one, not having to press my hair will easily save me 2 hours off my routine....and I am SURE my hair will be healthier in the future. I'm used to pressing then going over the press with a flat iron. So now I'll be subjecting my hair to HALF the heat it's used to. From just flat ironing my hair is very straight, but it's also more soft and healthy-looking than it was with my press. I can't explain how happy I am with this new routine. I kind of feel like an idiot for not realizing a 450 degree ceramic could straighten even my natural hair just fine! And I have some thick hair, so I know if I can get my hair straight with just a flat iron that anyone ought to be....Rest in Peace my pressing comb!

Posted By: shanky
Date Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 7:01pm
After I wash my hair I put in BB Wrapping Foam and let my hair air dry then I'll flat iron my hair in small sections, after I'm finished flat ironing I put a light cream moisturizer in my hair that's it.  

Posted By: Ayedeeosmeeo
Date Posted: Jul 24 2007 at 5:30pm
Socialite, I had the same revelation about 3 weeks ago. I've been pressing then flat ironing my hair for 4 years until I bought a Sedu flat iron and Lottabody. Those two products are God-sends! The Sedu is ridiculously expensive but it's worth every penny. And being a product minimalist (I can't do stiff hair) the Lottabody really gives your hair that fluffy look. I'm definitely gonna toss out my pressing comb stove (yes, I'm old-school). Good riddance! I used to dread  doing my hair, but now I can actually get my hair done in a reasonable amount of time. I recommend those two products to anyone who wants to waste less time on their hair routine.

By the way, if you do use Lottabody,  please follow the mixing directions. If you don't your hair will be CRISPY and BRITTLE.

Date Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Ayedeeosmeeo Ayedeeosmeeo wrote:

Socialite, I had the same revelation about 3 weeks ago. I've been pressing then flat ironing my hair for 4 years until I bought a Sedu flat iron and Lottabody. Those two products are God-sends! The Sedu is ridiculously expensive but it's worth every penny. And being a product minimalist (I can't do stiff hair) the Lottabody really gives your hair that fluffy look. I'm definitely gonna toss out my pressing comb stove (yes, I'm old-school). Good riddance! I used to dread  doing my hair, but now I can actually get my hair done in a reasonable amount of time. I recommend those two products to anyone who wants to waste less time on their hair routine.

By the way, if you do use Lottabody,  please follow the mixing directions. If you don't your hair will be CRISPY and BRITTLE.

LOLLOLLOL
Yes, Ayedeeosmeeo, weren'y you soooo happy when you had this revelationSmile
I'm gonna try this Lottabody. Not sure what it's gonna do to my hair but it has enough followers to give it a go.  Your hair looks very pretty and healthy. Do you put in Lottabody when hair is wet? And how hot does the Sedu get? My Thompson's gets up to 450 and I'm curious if these others get hotter. 
Also my blowdryer is 200 watts ceramic and I think that's really the key to my straightening...

Date Posted: Jul 25 2007 at 2:46pm
sorry for double

Posted By: BeautyWitch
Date Posted: Jul 28 2007 at 1:20pm

OK, I cannot believe I have been pressing and flat ironing my hair for the ENTIRE two plus years I've been natural! Today, I took Cookingirl's (thanks girl!!) advice and just blow dried and flat ironed my hair... and do you know it got even straighter than it normally does with the hot comb??!! I don't know how in the world that can be. But what I do know is that this new routine has me sooooo excited about my natural hair and my ability to manage it. For one, not having to press my hair will easily save me 2 hours off my routine....and I am SURE my hair will be healthier in the future. I'm used to pressing then going over the press with a flat iron. So now I'll be subjecting my hair to HALF the heat it's used to. From just flat ironing my hair is very straight, but it's also more soft and healthy-looking than it was with my press. I can't explain how happy I am with this new routine. I kind of feel like an idiot for not realizing a 450 degree ceramic could straighten even my natural hair just fine! And I have some thick hair, so I know if I can get my hair straight with just a flat iron that anyone ought to be....Rest in Peace my pressing comb!
So you press on 450Shocked? My hair couldn't take that I only use 300 and my hair gets super straight and stay that way, I don't even blow dry either.

Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 2:41pm
what do you use in your hair when you just want to wear it natural without blow drying it?

Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 2:47pm
what do you use on your hair if you're just wearing it natural after washing to get the curly effect?

Date Posted: Jul 29 2007 at 7:07pm
Yes, I flat iron on 450 and get bone straight results. I don't like air drying. My hair type is super thick and its very healthy, so can take the heat

Posted By: samanthajones67
Date Posted: Jul 30 2007 at 11:37am

Yes, I flat iron on 450 and get bone straight results. I don't like air drying. My hair type is super thick and its very healthy, so can take the heat   

I have learned that is the Key!!! the heat!

I have a maxi glide and a sedu - and I could not understand why - my hair was straight, but not swingin' bone straight!!!

I know now that my hair can take a lot of heat, and that I will be getting a nice 1 inch iron that will do the trick!!!

Posted By: diamante87
Date Posted: Aug 01 2007 at 4:01pm
how do I find out how hot my flat iron will get? I've had it for several years and I only know that it's given me average results, but you guys are so inspiring. I want to rush out to the BSS tonight!

Date Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 3:49am

OK, I cannot believe I have been pressing and flat ironing my hair for the ENTIRE two plus years I've been natural! Today, I took Cookingirl's (thanks girl!!) advice and just blow dried and flat ironed my hair... and do you know it got even straighter than it normally does with the hot comb??!! I don't know how in the world that can be. But what I do know is that this new routine has me sooooo excited about my natural hair and my ability to manage it. For one, not having to press my hair will easily save me 2 hours off my routine....and I am SURE my hair will be healthier in the future. I'm used to pressing then going over the press with a flat iron. So now I'll be subjecting my hair to HALF the heat it's used to. From just flat ironing my hair is very straight, but it's also more soft and healthy-looking than it was with my press. I can't explain how happy I am with this new routine. I kind of feel like an idiot for not realizing a 450 degree ceramic could straighten even my natural hair just fine! And I have some thick hair, so I know if I can get my hair straight with just a flat iron that anyone ought
to be....Rest in Peace my pressing comb!
I'm so glad it worked for you!. It takes me no time to blow dry and straighten my hair now. I can do both under two hours.   I used to do the same thing as you with the hot comb and I was just adding more torture to my hair than necessary!

Posted By: samanthajones67
Date Posted: Aug 02 2007 at 11:56am
Originally posted by diamante87 diamante87 wrote:

how do I find out how hot my flat iron will get? I've had it for several years and I only know that it's given me average results, but you guys are so inspiring. I want to rush out to the BSS tonight!

Usually the pacakging will tell you right away. Heats up to...blah blah....

Check your packaging, or go to Folica.com. that should help you.

Posted By: AjStarr
Date Posted: Aug 05 2007 at 12:30am
...i love this post lol! i have to try jus about everything you all suggested!! my only reason for not really doin ne kind of heat on my hair is bcuz im in vegas and its SO hot that my press jus sweats out...but im goin back to LA on friday so ima try it then!

Date Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 8:52am
Originally posted by AjStarr AjStarr wrote:

...i love this post lol! i have to try jus about everything you all suggested!! my only reason for not really doin ne kind of heat on my hair is bcuz im in vegas and its SO hot that my press jus sweats out...but im goin back to LA on friday so ima try it then!

Yep...that's there are two things that will stop a good press in its tracks: rain and humid heat! Can't wait for the fall!

Posted By: iimaprinc3ss
Date Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 9:08am

today i washed my hair with baby shampoo and blow dryed it.. den i flat ironed it first and it came out straight but not straight enough so then i saw some extra virgin olive oil on the dresser and i put that in my hair then blow dryed it.. it came out straight and bouncey

Posted By: Keena76
Date Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 12:45pm
I'm currently transitioning and I took out my braids over the weekend.  I washed and deep condition my hair and allowed it to air dry. 

Then I blow dry my hair using a brush and I use Loreal product The Texture to give my hair that smooth sleek look.  It helped my hair out alot, normally while I blow dry my hair is dry and very brittle.  THis product gave my hair moisture and softness.

Then I flat iron or use the curling iron.

Posted By: sweetkeesha
Date Posted: Aug 06 2007 at 2:35pm
OMG ladies your hair is gorgeous!!! I can never get my hair as straight as yours. Maybe its the technique. Question, how large of a section do you straighten at a time?

Posted By: MizzCat
Date Posted: Aug 07 2007 at 6:07am
Do you ladies blow dry with a round brush?? Or blow dry with a comb attachment?

Posted By: Miss_Pepa256
Date Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 9:25pm

Your hair is gorgeous! How long have you been flat ironing your hair? I would like to do mine myself, but I never get good results so I go to the salon and get it done. It's only $16 and they do a great job lol, but it would be nice to do it myself

Posted By: GodGivenGlory
Date Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 11:53am

I get my hair pressed but sometimes I wash it, blow dry it, and then flat iron it. If you blow dry before flat ironing it gets straighter.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 12:23pm
so what is the best technique in terms of what you actually do with the flat iron should i be like pullling? I heard of someone use small comb right after the pass, in order to get it really str8 
I am trying to get salon like results * and not burn myself/ my hair. how long to pass the iron through the hair what direction to hold the iron if you want a little bump at the ends. I want my hair stright but shiny and bouncy oh and I have a (andis cermaic iron) is this one hot enough?

Posted By: Aspicedoll
Date Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:27pm

Hi Ayedeeosmeeo,

I saw your photo album on Fotki and I was wondering exactly what flat and curling irons do you use to style your hair? Beautiful hair by the way. Your natural hair pics are similar to my hair texture and I was just curious. 

Posted By: MrsSidandi
Date Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 11:32pm

Originally posted by AjStarr AjStarr wrote:

Yep...that's there are two things that will stop a good press in its tracks: rain and humid heat! Can't wait for the fall!

Is this why my daughter's hair poofs out minutes after I flat iron it?  It's so hot and humid here and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.  I use the maxiglide and it looks soft and beautiful and 30 minutes later it's poofed out like she stuck her hand in an electric socket.  I thought it was doing it because I didn't have it set hot enough.  I had it set on 5 and it goes to 10.  What do ya'll think?  When I hear about presses lasting 2 weeks I just don't get it.  How do you get them to last that long without reverting?

Posted By: MissCassC
Date Posted: Aug 27 2007 at 11:57pm
MrsSidandi, the humidity is definitely making your daughter's hair poof.  I can keep a press straight for 2 weeks if I'm in dry weather.  If there's humidity in the air, my press is out of the window.

Posted By: Romeosgirl81
Date Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 12:20am
i flatiron my hair this pass week and it came out terrible. it almost makes me give up on trying to get relaxer straight hair without a relaxer! i will try it again in november with the tips i have learned from this thread and hopefully that will help!

Posted By: xoflirtyfunox
Date Posted: Aug 28 2007 at 10:38am
i love this thread!! you ladies all have GORGEOUS natural hair. i'm transitioning and i'm about to go try some of these strategies right now! thank youuu! Clap

Date Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 6:41am
I think I've finally found the right technique; rollerset, blow dry and then flat iron. I managed to get my hair straight with just an air-dried rollerset followed by a flat iron but it didn't have much swing and silkiness. In terms of products I use a small amount of ORS Olive Oil Lotion, a leave-in and a few drops of serum on wet hair and that's it, if anything maybe a bit of serum while flat ironing.

Date Posted: Aug 29 2007 at 1:48pm
What do you guys blow dry your hair with????????!!!!!!!
One with a comb attachment or round brush??

Posted By: Silky-Tresses
Date Posted: Aug 31 2007 at 9:35pm

Hello Ladies!

I live in Atlanta but am originally from California (LA).  I've been in Atlanta for 3 years.  When I first moved to Atlanta, I had the hardest time finding a stylist.  See in Cali, the salons press your hair with a pressing comb using the marcel oven and then go over your hair with a marcel flat iron (the ones you stick in the oven) and proceed to style your hair with some marcel curling irons.  I'm natural by the way, always have been.

Anywho, when I got to Atlanta, I tried out a few salons and what really tripped me out is that none of the salons here used pressing combs to straighten your hair.  They only used ceramic flat irons (the plug-in kind). Also, due to the heat and humidity in Georgia, A LOT of women have relaxers.  Well for me, a relaxer is NOT an option bcuz my hair is way too fine.  I just thought it was SO crazy that I couldn't find a salon that pressed hair.

I tried out 2 different salons when I first moved here.  The first one, the lady kept trying to convince me that since my hair was shorter on the sides and longer in the back, that she needed to cut the back of my hair to the same length as the sides.  I was like "Huh?!, Excuse Me?" So, I got rid of her real quick, like after 3 visits.

I found another salon that had receptionists you check in with at the front and they had about 30 stylists.  When I told them I was "natural" they referred me to a dude that specialized in natural hair.  This salon also only used ceramic flat irons.  I stopped going to dude bcuz he wasn't getting my hair straight enough.  Like my hair would frizz up by the time I got home and I had never had that problem before.  Plus, that salon was hella expensive.   I went from paying $35 to get the same thing done on LA to $55 with dude who wasn't getting my hair straight.

Someone referred me to this Ethiopian chic who only charged $35 as well.  The person who referred me ranted and raved about how straight the girl got her hair and how healthy her hair was since going to her.  So, I tried her out.  Needless to say, I have been going to her for the past 3 years.  I want to share with you guys her technique:

1).  After she washes and conditions my hair, she rolls my hair up with these big rollers and sits me under the dryer until it is completely dry (about an hour or so and it also) 

2). After my hair is completely dry, she takes the rollers out and wraps my hair up securing it with a hair clip and sits me back under the dryer for 15 more mins.

3). After 15 minutes she calls me to her chair.  By this time my hair is already straight.

4).  She proceeds to flat iron my hair with a ceramic flat iron (fhi to be exact).  She also uses the flat iron to style/curl my hair.

My hair comes out just as straight, if not STRAIGHTER than it did when I used to get it pressed back home.  She uses the roller technique to cut back on heat bcuz using a blow dryer, especially one with a comb attachment can be damaging to the hair.

Ladies, when I tell you that this girl has gotten my hair so healthy.....my hair has just been growing and growing.  I don't think my hair has ever been this long.  I mean, I've always had long hair but it would stop growing at one particular length.  My hair has surpassed that "stopping point" many inches ago.

So what I did today was went out and bought a FHI ceramic iron.  I was using a Gold-N-Hot ceramic iron, but that thing could NEVER be used to flat iron my entire head after a wash and blow dry.  It's only good for touching up my hair once I've come from the salon.  I also plan to buy some of the big rollers and try and wash and flat iron my hair myself.  I've never been able to do my own hair.  But I'm thinking/hoping that I can achieve a professional salon look by using the same techniques/tools that she does.

Please check out my fotki to see how my hair looks after coming from her shop:

http://public.fotki.com/Silky-Tresses/my-hair-/" rel="no follow - http://public.fotki.com/Silky-Tresses/my-hair-/

The last 3 pictures (#5,6,7) is what my hair looked like after she did it this past Tuesday.  I had just taken my hair down from a weave and my hair has grown since the weave.

Posted By: growingitlong
Date Posted: Sep 01 2007 at 9:27am
Silky-Tresses you & your hair are BEAUTIFUL! Do you mind sharing the stylist's contact information with me? Although, I am in Memphis my DH has to attend a conference in Atlanta sometime this year, forgot the exact date, and I would love to set up an appointment.

Currently, I am in the process of growing out a botched texturizer after being natural for close to 2 years. I have being going to the stylist every two weeks for a wash/set/braid style. What the stylist does is wash/deep condition my hair then she blowdries w/ the comb attachment. The thing that I do not like is that she then sits me back under the dryer for say 15 mintues. Once done, she uses a curling iron to flat iron my hair b/c she does not own a flat iron and then she braids my hair back in cornrows. For some reason, I feel that she could braid my hair without the need to dry/fry it as much as she does. She says that she has to get my hair as straight as possible in order to braid it. Ladies is this true?

Date Posted: Sep 01 2007 at 1:56pm
Thank You Smile  Her name is Lily and the name of the shop is Lily's Hair Studio 404-315-0218.

Your stylist shouldn't have to blow dry your hair and straighten it just to put it in braids, but then again I'm not sure of the texture of your hair.  Since she is braiding it that way as a hairstyle for you and not to sew tracks or anything onto it, then she may use that technique so that it looks neater.  My friend braided my own hair back like that one time, but she left it wet while she braided it.

Posted By: growingitlong
Date Posted: Sep 01 2007 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Silky-Tresses Silky-Tresses wrote:

Thank You Smile  Her name is Lily and the name of the shop is Lily's Hair Studio 404-315-0218.

Your stylist shouldn't have to blow dry your hair and straighten it just to put it in braids, but then again I'm not sure of the texture of your hair.  Since she is braiding it that way as a hairstyle for you and not to sew tracks or anything onto it, then she may use that technique so that it looks neater.  My friend braided my own hair back like that one time, but she left it wet while she braided it.

thanks sweetie.  I used to get my hair braided when I was little and I remember my mom doing the same, braiding while wet. Judging from the pictures she took it worked.....I was TOO cute Embarrassed. I am going to give your stylist a call when I speak with my DH regarding the date of his conference. Thanks again so much for sharing her contact information with me.

Date Posted: Sep 02 2007 at 1:11pm

I am a beginner when it comes to hairstyling and I dislike blow drying hair with the round brush, (I hope I made sense.) I find blowouts too difficult and time consuming. What is the easiest way to straighten my hair?? I wouldn't mind the blowdryer/comb attachment cause that is soo much easier. I am also planning to buy a flat iron. So how do I get silky straight hair easy without blow drying with the round brush??!! I just want to flat iron only or blowdry/comb attachment then flat iron only. These are easy for me!! What do I need to do??!!

I like these dryers :

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/303076.jpg" rel="no follow - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/303076.jpg

Posted By: trini_gyal
Date Posted: Sep 06 2007 at 2:13pm
Silky-Tresses - Do you know what heat setting she uses to flat iron your hair? What rollers does she use?

Ok so I went for it today after reading through all these posts
I am in love with the sedu!

I washed and conditioned my hair with ors mayo conditioner or uplifting shampoo. Then, I bought setting rollers and put some  ors olive lotion on it. Let it air dry a bit and went over it very briefly with a blow drier.  Then, I set the Sedu to 300 and flat ironed it. It looks perfect!  I used almost no heat on my hair other than the flat iron. It totally did the trick. My hair was all nice and fluffy and bouncy.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 5:57pm
My stylist's f.h.i. iron doesn't have a heat setting.  The one that I have at home does and I set it on 375.  She uses some rollers that have these little teeth in them and she uses these pins to secure them to my head.  I'm having a hard time finding those rollers.  I found some similar ones at Target by Conair and I am going to use those bcuz they have the little "teeth" in them.

Posted By: xoflirtyfunox
Date Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 6:04pm

i just got a solia and using the advice in this post, i got THE best results ever. my hair is silky and shiny and it MOVES!!! i don't have a camera, so no pics, but trust me. solias are TOTALLY worth the money. thanks ladies Clap

Date Posted: Sep 09 2007 at 5:40pm

I am a beginner when it comes to hairstyling and I dislike blow drying hair with the round brush, (I hope I made sense.) I find blowouts too difficult and time consuming. What is the easiest way to straighten my hair?? I wouldn't mind the blowdryer/comb attachment cause that is soo much easier. I am also planning to buy a flat iron. So how do I get silky straight hair easy without blow drying with the round brush??!! I just want to flat iron only or blowdry/comb attachment then flat iron only. These are easy for me!! What do I need to do??!!

I like these dryers :

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/303076.jpg" rel="no follow - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/303076.jpg

Posted By: PearlBeauty4ul
Date Posted: Sep 13 2007 at 11:52am
MizzCAt, perhaps this will change your mind. Easier blowdrying. And I'm def going to get this myself!

http://vimeo.com/251682" rel="no follow - http://vimeo.com/251682

Date Posted: Sep 14 2007 at 8:28pm
Wow that video was nice.. thanks!! I might actually invest in this.. and it looks easy !! omg omg omg!!

Date Posted: Sep 15 2007 at 11:56am
Thanx for sharing! I used to think that those hot air brushes were gimmicky!

Posted By: modelinggirly
Date Posted: Sep 15 2007 at 2:30pm
You just have to be careful when using hot air brushes. If you use them too much on your hair it can cause a lot of breakage.

Posted By: PearlBeauty4ul
Date Posted: Sep 16 2007 at 8:47am
No Problem!!! WAit --- if we do a dominican blow dry don't they use blow dryers and use brushes on our hair too? I feel that it's the same thing!! The thing is they (Dominicans) can make our hair feel and look so healthy!!!

Date Posted: Sep 20 2007 at 3:08pm
Hmm.. I don't know. I do know that using the hot air brush is a lot easier to do than the regular dryer & brush..

Posted By: ~*ADANNA*~
Date Posted: Sep 30 2007 at 8:20pm
i have a hotair brush, and it works great...i like it better than a flat iron because it doesnt flatten the hair, it makes it more volumous (if dats a word)...im also able to get my edges with this device...if u want super bone straight results, a flat iron might be better, but the results with the brush is straight enough for me...

Posted By: nillawafer
Date Posted: Oct 04 2007 at 10:08am
Hey ladies. After pressing your hair, how do you keep it "straight" or keep it from reverting or getting poofy? do you use products or do you just wrap at night? Please...I need all the help I can get Big%20smile. I can get it straight, but after a few hours or even the next day, my hair is a little frizzy and a little puffy. Thanks!

Nillawafer

Posted By: trini_gyal
Date Posted: Oct 04 2007 at 6:18pm
What kind of hot air brush do you use?

Date Posted: Oct 07 2007 at 8:34pm
I didn't get one yet and still debating

Posted By: GodGivenGlory
Date Posted: Oct 08 2007 at 1:52pm
Where do you buy LottaBody? What kinds of blow dryers work best? My hair is long (not cut in 20 yrs) but really soft and I'm afraid to put too much heat in it. I get it pressed or flat ironed, but I normally curl it right afterwards. Then as the curls fall after a few days, I wear it kind of wavy, like in my pic.

Posted By: demeritte
Date Posted: Oct 18 2007 at 1:30am
Socialite - God has blessed you with gorgeous hair

Posted By: sandra361
Date Posted: Nov 04 2007 at 3:56pm
I flat iron my daughters 4z hair.  I only do it in the winter.  I do a deep conditioner the night before and shampoo with a claryfing shampoo,  mos. conditioner the day of.  Heat protector, blow dry, flat iron, wrap hair,spray with hot 6, wrap head with saran wrap, under dryer for 30 minutes and her hair comes out so shinny.  I just have to bump some curls on the end.  She has been begging me to start this year so, I will post pic this weekend. 

Posted By: Krazeehair
Date Posted: Nov 04 2007 at 10:42pm
Thanks so much for your flat ironing techniques.  I straightened my hair for the first time 2 days ago and it came out ok, not as straight as I would've liked.  But I think my hair is in the "training" stage since it's been years (20+) since I've been without a relaxer.   It's just a relief to know that it can be done without a relaxer.  I was about to give up.Confused   The only thing I didn't do this time is use some straightening wax.  But now it's getting a little poofy.  How do I keep it looking shiny and looking fresh even 2 days later?

Posted By: mssunstar1
Date Posted: Nov 06 2007 at 10:48pm
I usually. Wash, and condition it.  Apply infusium, I can let it air dry or for optimum results blow dry with golden hot ionic blow dryer.  I spray lightly with either isoplus oil sheen, or rub a small amount of biostrand fine' or sir Charles hair food vitamin A& E.  I then use the maxi glide.  I pre soften if necc. and make sure to turn the flat part of the iron, not the Spike part in the direction of the curl.  For curls I use Con Air ion shine heated rollers.  If I want hold I will lightly spritz with pink oil moisturizer spritz and I follow with goody satin wrapped rollers.

Posted By: Pancrainian
Date Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 8:33pm
I'm a 4a.  I wash and condition with Avalon Organics shampoo and conditioner.  I blow-dry my hair, in small sections at a time, using a large barrel round brush till it's dry, but not too dry.  I found out the hard way that the longer the hair, the larger the brush should be(previously, I was using a small brush and my hair would get tangled around the brushConfused).  I usually only flatiron when I have a special occasion(which isn't very often).  When I do, I then flat iron my hair in small 1/2" sections using a Conair Infinity flatiron set to 330degrees celcius.  It only takes one pass to get the hair straight and it looks like a relaxer when I'm done which is great because I was concerned with how I would handle my hair since I went natural.  I usually finish with a quarter-sized amount of Parachute brand coconut oil rubbed between my hands and used only on my ends(Parachute coconut oil is found in most indian grocery stores--you can cook with it too!).  The best advice I can give when handling wet hair is take your time and comb from the ends up to the root--it's alot easier to untangle the hair with little or no breakage.   

Posted By: clovercurls
Date Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 2:54pm
The ladies that are flat-ironing with no products are telling the truth. My aunt who is a hair stylist recently flat-ironed my daughter's hair using a FHI. As she was doing my daughter's hair I asked if she was going to use any hair products. She stated that the hair does not need anything more than being shampooed, deep-conditioned and blown out. She said that the conditioner alone was enough and anything else would make the hair weighed down. As she was flat-ironing she showed me how shiny and light the hair was, like glass. She convinced me to do my hair also and both our hair remained straight for an entire week. The best part was after our hair was washed it reverted back to our original curls.Clap

Posted By: casualsatire
Date Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Ayedeeosmeeo Ayedeeosmeeo wrote:

how hot does the sedu get? and what kind of hair do you have, i'm a 4a  think. 

Date Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 2:20pm
also does anyone use pink oil anymore? and have any of you used a chi or a solia flat iron? i need something that goes to 450 F. im not sure how hot the chi gets and i find varying answers online.

Date Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 8:55pm
I'm going to buy my own appliances soon and learn to self-press! I think I already found my blow dryer & flat iron!!

Date Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 7:33am
Originally posted by MizzCat MizzCat wrote:

I'm going to buy my own appliances soon and learn to self-press! I think I already found my blow dryer & flat iron!!
what kind of iron are you going to get? i just got on by helen of troy (i think) it has black all ceramic plates, i've yet to find a routine that works for me.

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 2:11pm
I'm going to buy a tigi flat iron

Posted By: DaughterOfFathe
Date Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 5:59pm
Here are my pictures!  I use the Jilbre tourmaline 1" flat iron.  I deep conditioned for 15 minutes underneath my bonnet dryer, then I put in Dudley's creme press on sections of wet hair and used my bonnet dryer for an hour to dry my hair curly.  Then I used the flat iron on sections of my hair.  It took me 45 minutes, but I could probably shave 15 minutes off that.  The preceding pictures are my natural texture and then my hair flat ironed. 

Posted By: Lady_Q_Tee
Date Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 6:10pm
^ i cant see the pics :(

Print Page | Close Window