Forum Name: Hair Breakage
Forum Description: Hair Breakage issues, solutions, and discussions
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=6308
Printed Date: Feb 21 2018 at 4:14pm

Topic: The Hair Lady
Posted By: nved_1
Subject: The Hair Lady
Date Posted: Jul 09 2004 at 7:04pm

I know that I will probably catch a lot of sh*t for this but I have to say what's on my mind. So here goes..

After reading her page I discovered that a lot of what she is saying is true but is not necessarily the best thing for all hair types. I think that my type 4 sisters should really be careful with following her advice. For instance the ends sealing technique is not for me and you. Seriously I have tried this and it was a disaster. My roomate also tried it. She's Black with 3A hair and it worked OK for her.. for awhile and then her edges started to break off. I think the foil intensifies the heat.

I also don't believe in wearing your hair in braids for years to keep it protected. Yeah your hair will grow but when you decide to take it down it will be fragile and you will have to deal with YOUR hair. She suggests keeping it in braids and "protective styles" but what's the point in growing hair to your waist if you are not going to wear it. By the way, If I have to order a video for her to show me what you could show me on her web site for free, how generous is she ..really.

I'm not saying she is all wrong,but....

Replies:
Posted By: weaveitup^_^
Date Posted: Jul 09 2004 at 7:08pm
who is the ahir lady?

Posted By: canadiana_deleted
Date Posted: Jul 09 2004 at 7:17pm
I think she means the woman from http://www.growafrohairlong.com - www.growafrohairlong.com

Posted By: sjones
Date Posted: Jul 09 2004 at 11:31pm
i never really understood "the crown and glory technique". i have read her website and have seen a few threads about it, but never caught on to exactly what it was. is it keeping your hair braided for "years". in any event, her hair did grow long. she did achieve her long term goal, as for her short term (keeping it healthy) that may be up for questioning. have anyone followed her techniques verbatim? if so, did it work? before and after?

Posted By: skinbeauty
Date Posted: Jul 10 2004 at 5:22am

S Jones,

The crown and glory technique is many things.

keeping your hair in protective styles, combing your hair gently to avoid breakage, to me, the crown and glory technique is all the things on Robin Woods site that stops your hair from breaking and promotes growth.

If you want to know exactly what the C&G techique is, however, I would suggest you email the lady because she does have an email address on her site.

Posted By: sjones
Date Posted: Jul 10 2004 at 9:08am
Thanks Skinbeauty!

Posted By: Toscaoneday
Date Posted: Jul 10 2004 at 10:07am

I guess it just goes back to one basic point: we are all different, and just because something works for some people doesn't mean it works for everybody.

Posted By: Lita
Date Posted: Jul 11 2004 at 6:41pm
Yeah, if she ever e-mails you back! She never e-mailed me back

Posted By: Salsa
Date Posted: Jul 12 2004 at 4:21am

I've not tried her regime but I do know that it is possible to grow your hair in braids if you take care of them properly i.e keeping them clean and regularly moisturised. 

My friend has thick 4b hair and had braids almost continually for 4 years whilst she grew out her relaxer.  She recently took them out and relaxed her hair.  The hairdresser gave her regular treatments before the relaxer and has continued to do so after and this girls hair is thick and long, almost mid back. 

It is possible but takes care and patience

Date Posted: Jul 12 2004 at 1:14pm

Originally posted by Lita Lita wrote:

Yeah, if she ever e-mails you back! She never e-mailed me back

Well she emailed me back.  If she didn't I would have deleted her website from my signature long ago.

I suggest you email her again.  As with snail mail, sometimes email does not get delivered.

Posted By: Phoenix1017
Date Posted: Jul 12 2004 at 1:31pm

what's the point in growing hair to your waist if you are not going to wear it.

You wear it down sometimes, but you might not want to do so most of the time. It does get in the way.

Longer hair is a tad different from shorter hair. I think the older ends are, the more protection they need, You've got to protect a bit more from wind, clothes, dryness and wear. It's better to wear it up often.

Posted By: mskibibi
Date Posted: Sep 25 2004 at 2:14pm
I'm currently using her technique and it's great for me. you just have to make sure that you keep the braids mositurized, that way your hair won't be fragile when you take the braids out. I don't do the end sealing though b/c I don't use any direct heat on my hair (except when I roller set once a week then go under a hooded dryer, but thats still not direct heat).

Posted By: PorscheRocks
Date Posted: Sep 25 2004 at 3:18pm

Everyone with 4a/b hair isn't the same.  Even though you have the same hair type as someone, your hair is diffrerent.

Her techiniques may not work for you or your friend, but they work for other people.

Posted By: betty boop
Date Posted: Sep 26 2004 at 3:40pm
Seems a little off. Look at how long the singer Brandy had braids in her hair, her real hair is not extra long. This chick might just have a natural looking weave in her hair or a lot of split ends like Cathy Howse.  

Posted By: sweet_ambrosia
Date Posted: Sep 28 2004 at 8:27pm

Originally posted by betty boop betty boop wrote:

Seems a little off. Look at how long the singer Brandy had braids in her hair, her real hair is not extra long. This chick might just have a natural looking weave in her hair or a lot of split ends like Cathy Howse.  

Brandy may have worn braids for awhile but anybody that doesnt take care of their hair while in braids or if the braids are too tight their hair will be damaged...Have you seen Brandy's hairline lately cud it be from the braids maybe maybe not?

Posted By: sweet_ambrosia
Date Posted: Sep 28 2004 at 8:33pm

Her technique may not work for all but it works for some..I dont find it hard to believe that she grew her hair from neckline to waist length in 2 years coz it is possiable with the proper care.

Date Posted: Oct 28 2004 at 6:57pm

Originally posted by Aleeesha Aleeesha wrote:

The hair lady e-mailed me back and answered my questions even when I was probably getting on her nerves. Her site is very informational, many things logical. What's wrong with selling videos on certaing things, she can do that if she want's too. As I said before her site is already very informational. Robin is just proving that 4a/b hair can be grown long which is an inspiration to many, and many are probably buying her videos for more information on how to properly wash the hair etcetera. Marketing is marketing.

That is also true, when you have long hair, it does get in the way, so the whole time, it wont be tickling down your back. The more breakage you have to worry about and that is definetly a negative.

The only reason she kept it braided was to grow it to the desired length and it worked. Now she can tell her story and show proof and also wear it how she pleases.

Amen to that.....The way I see it is this....go to the site and use the info there....it is free after all.....you don't have to buy any products there.......However, if people feel her hair is fake, then simply do not visit the site......simple logic

I'm using her braiding techniques and they work so I'm all for her site

Posted By: Talmidim
Date Posted: Oct 29 2004 at 9:58pm

Shalom,

I used her recommended technique for washing my hair in large braids and it really helped.

It took the entire day though.

I have natural nappy hair that would become so tangled when I washed it. I would shampoo my hair with it piled up on top of my head.

It shrinks enormously when it is washed that way, however using her method there was not that much shrinkage and much less tangles..... therefore much less breakage.

I had always been told NEVER to comb hair while it is wet. However she does recommend this, after applying conditioner and removing tangles with your fingers first.

The only part of the technique I did not appreciate was having to lie in a warm tub while removing the braids after conditioning your hair. It took ages!!! However it did help.

Print Page | Close Window