Print Page | Close Window

The ONE Best Thing you learned here....

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: The Archives
Forum Name: Talk Archives
Forum Description: Archive Section
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=39890
Printed Date: Apr 14 2021 at 2:13pm

Topic: The ONE Best Thing you learned here....
Posted By: Soulie
Subject: The ONE Best Thing you learned here....
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 12:59pm
Ok, yall... new topic:  please name the SINGLE (one) best thing you have learned on BHM... maybe it's a technique, a product, a type of hair.....  i know we all have learned a lot, but try to just name the absolute BEST thing!

Replies:
Posted By: DivaVocals
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 1:47pm
For me it's two things.. Product information and hair resources.. I'm not ashamed to admit that I write down almost EVERY product Miss Lux has recommended... I also learned that there's a lot of women across this country who are crazy about HUR!!!!

Posted By: MoreHair4me
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 1:49pm
I learned about products and quality hair you can reuse.  Thanks everyone.

Posted By: crysm2k
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 1:53pm
I've gotten some great tips on protective hair styling to help me get through the times until my next touch up. I know u said one but I also have to mention that if it wasn't for BHM I wouldn't know anything about weaves as well.

Posted By: LynnNyc
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 1:57pm
that women CAN share information. 

I used to get so tired of seeing women in the street with really nice weaves and when asking them, NICELY, who does your hair?  (never said the word "weave"), the response was off the wall... "my cousins friend's sister was here from outta town last weekend and did it for me" kinda nonsense.  yea, ok...LOL

Posted By: LovelyLisa
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 2:19pm
LG and Vapon

And lastly The Diva turning me onto to EP hair!

One more thingLOL The vast amount of informationHug

Posted By: DeeDeeStayFly
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 2:38pm
NON-BSS HAIR....definitely my friends think im "BOUGIE" because i order my hair lol

Posted By: Soulie
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 2:48pm

So give the name of the product or the brand!!!!  I'm gonna use this post to help build my weave kits  LOL

Posted By: somethingnew
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 2:55pm
I'd have to say hair sources. Through this forum I learned where to buy the type of hair I was looking for--good quality hair that matched my own.  This board saved me a ton of trouble I believe. Had I not found the 'perfect' hair then I probably would not have a weave right now because I wasn't going to settle for anything other than what was perfect for me.

I'm very happy I found Extensions-Plus through this site. It was my first install ever and it has turned out so well!

Posted By: sunshine3215
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:03pm
I have finally learned how to care for my hair, what steps that might help.  I have learned about LG and I'm try the tape thing at some point.  But I learned that with some practice, I can do this, I can keep my hair looking GOOD Until I go to the shop.  I probably will always pay for my braids/sewn in weave but I know I can LG a weave in quick if I need to and independence is a good feeling.

Posted By: ChoclateDymond
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:07pm
I learned about pre poo and co-wash.I also learned that u can use oivle oil and honey in your regular conditioner.Also one more thing how to stretch a relaxer.

Posted By: OrangePop
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:28pm

Finding out about Ultra Sheen's Crème Satin Press. Miracle product when it comes to blending. Use a generous amount and then flat iron it with a really hot flat iron and your hair gets soooo straight and shiny. Makes your hair look just like the indian stuff.

I'd also say finding out about Wagman was a good thing.

I'm anxioust to try EP, but a sistah has to budget.

And just the overall comraderie on the board. I love weave and it's great to be able to share this obsession with like minded individuals.

Posted By: TexasPearl22
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:35pm
I've learned so many things from you all. More importantly hair breakage and growth information; highly recommended products; and the fabulous EP hurrr. My pockets are hurtin' yallLOL
Also, I love the fact that you ladies are so open with information.

Thanks GuysClap

Posted By: essence
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 3:42pm
Its really tough to just pic one thing.... But in general this is where I learned how to do my own sew ins.

Sorry gotta add the learning how to curly perm weave hair myself.  That is a big one too....

Posted By: deewhizz
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 4:17pm
I would say Remy hair (Thank tha lawd!!)any of it is better than the "human hair" I was getting from BSS

and LG and vapon cuz' those small cornrows were thinning my hair its fragile and I couldn't go back to that latex glue that broke it off even worse!Angry

I didn't know WHAT I was gonna do next when I realized I was going to have to stop the cornrowing, then I found out about LG and hair is getting thicker againSmile

Thanks Ladies!

Posted By: McKelle
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 4:34pm
Well Soulie,

I would have to say all of the knowledge, tips, tricks of the trade, do's and don'ts, yeas and neh's, all the smiles, laughter, fun and drama of the BHM is what I have learned about weave.

It's not just one thing, its a little of everything. Not to mention, my sisters on here have GOT IT GOING ON!

Ladies, Let me hear it "NO BAD HAIR DAYS, ONLY PHAT WEAVES!" Clap

--Mckelle

Posted By: McKelle
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 4:35pm
Hey Dee,

What's LG and why don't you conrow no more? Isn't that what everyone does?

--McKelle

Posted By: samantha
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 4:37pm
definitely remy hair

Posted By: deewhizz
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by McKelle McKelle wrote:

Hey Dee,

What's LG and why don't you conrow no more? Isn't that what everyone does?

--McKelle

Hi Mckelle LG is liquid gold adhesive, it works really well, u just have to make sure your hair does not have any product on it especially not oil when u apply it. It comes out pretty easily with the LG remover and u can them from our pal Sherrie at

http://hairextensions101.com/main/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1

Things were ok for a while with the sew-ins until I noticed my hair was getting thinner all over, I had more hair than the usual shedding when I took out the cornrows.
I tried all sorts of moisturizers(carrot oil, carol's daughter hair butter, mango butter etc.) but the problem persisted even though I didn't do the cornrows that tight.
So I gave up the sew-ins and switched to LG/tape when I found out about itSmile

I did find out from Koffee and Cookin' girl about a net weave where the hair is sewed to a net cap and there is only one cornrow. I'm thinking about trying that on the next install.

I'm not sure if the thinning issue was the braids or my hair does not like to be covered like that. My hair got thicker(and grew like crazy!!)
 when I wore individual braids doing the crown and glory method. All my hair is out between the wefts now.

I guess we'll find out when I try the net weaveSmile

Posted By: lifegirl01
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 5:15pm
Definately non BSS hair!!! and NGWink

Posted By: Suwanee
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 8:27pm
I have to say coming to this site has been one of the best things I've ever done.  One thing that stands out as important to me about this site is so much knowledge is here.  I have learned so much about hair care, natural products for my skin and hair so that I am gruadually switching over to all natural products, diet and health care.  So much info on one site!!! And of course, coming into contact with Ms. DivaVocals tops the list!!!!!

Posted By: Ladyash2004
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 8:28pm
    PRODUCTS AND STRECHING RELAXERS

Posted By: figboo69
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:23pm
KNOWLEDGE/UNITY

Posted By: ThAbAdDeStBaBy
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 9:46pm
Hair quality and product(s) knowledge!!! And I love you guys for it!!! LOL

Posted By: digital_eyecand
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 10:23pm
dominacan wash and set, condioner wash, remy hair, texterising ect.

Posted By: sweettrini
Date Posted: Oct 18 2006 at 10:55pm
I have to say this board is one of the best things that evere happened to me. I have learnt so much - i thank the lord my father was obviously kunta kinte (hard hair as we say) else I would be bald. I only ever cared for my hair with oil and i used heat every day. Lord have mercy and EP - need I say more

Posted By: DivaVocals
Date Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Suwanee Suwanee wrote:

I have to say coming to this site has been one of the best things I've ever done.  One thing that stands out as important to me about this site is so much knowledge is here.  I have learned so much about hair care, natural products for my skin and hair so that I am gruadually switching over to all natural products, diet and health care.  So much info on one site!!! And of course, coming into contact with Ms. DivaVocals tops the list!!!!!
Awwww.. back at cha girl.. the feeling is DEFINITELY mutual!!!!!

Posted By: MissB404
Date Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 1:12am
Originally posted by TexasPearl22 TexasPearl22 wrote:

I've learned so many things from you all. More importantly hair breakage and growth information; highly recommended products; and the fabulous EP hurrr. My pockets are hurtin' yallLOL
Also, I love the fact that you ladies are so open with information.

Thanks GuysClap

Ditto...ClapClapClapClap

Posted By: MissLuxurious
Date Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 5:52am
Virgin Indian Remy Hair

Posted By: marie67
Date Posted: Oct 19 2006 at 7:39am
 Wholesale info. on the indian hair,and various braiding patterns for different styles!Thumbs Up

Posted By: cookingirl
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 3:09am
Extensions Plus, Aveda Brilliant cream, different patterns to do my own weave, weave caps/nets.   

Posted By: requestaword
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 7:47am
The knowledge that there are better ways of doing things than the "same ole, same ole". I wish more (NY) stylists were aware of this board -- when I mention it (and show topics I've printed) I always get a blank stare. I wish I had the capacity and patience to do my own hair -- but since I don't at least I know which wigs will be best for me (I'm getting tired of having good hair and so-so styling).

Posted By: yaki1
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 11:05am

It has to be finding out about Remi hair, if it wasn't for this board I honestly don't know what I wouuld have done.

I also like the fact I can talk to women accross the pond who are even more mad about weave than I am

Thanks for all your tips and advice

Posted By: SWEETBREAD
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 11:52am
Being able to find good hair like EP that will last...........
being able to ask questions.....and receiving good responses
good info on hair products

Posted By: Nichelle
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 2:32pm
I would say finding out about good hair that lasts and techniques for washing your braids (using a squirt bottle with a pointy end to get to your braids with water and poo/con mixed in it)!  The first person who did my sew-in couldn't recommend how to wash your hair underneath and how to keep your hair healthy underneath, but the ladies up here told me how to do it!  And, I really appreciate it!  I took my weave out 2 weeks ago, put a phyto relaxer in last week and ladies my hair has really grown!  I had a toni braxton haircut and my hair is to my ears now!  And, it's healthy all because the ladies up here talked about how to care for your natural hair as well!  And, what products to use.

Posted By: havilland
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 2:56pm
i learned how to get my scalp clean after i workout.  i run 5 miles a day and if it wasn't for you all i would be a H.A.M!  somethingnew told me about witch hazel and that saved my life...and my scalp.

Plus I also LOVE being able to find out about products, hair and web sites from everyone's experience without having to suffer through trial and error.  everyone is so willing to share, it saves a product junkie like me alot of money.  and alot of hair. LOL

i'm so glad i found you guys!Clap

Posted By: RICARDO
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 2:59pm
LG is the best thing I have found out since I have been on here.  I know so many people on here are against BSS hair but I have found one that is great for my clients and thanks to the "bleach bath" I have learned how to work with the cheaper hairs as well.

Posted By: relaxedblax
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 6:54pm
About buying hair...the cuticle alignments and the truth about BSS hair vs. higher up hairs.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 7:14pm
Remy hair....I especially like EP Thumbs Up

People were looking at me like I was on crack when I would ask about Remy hair.  I have a cousin who is a bonifide weave queen (and drama queen) and even she was NOT in the know...she was like "chile why would I put some Remy up in my hair" Confused.  I finally figured out she was talking about Remy Martin the alcoholic beverage LOL.  Needless to say she had to get schooled by lil ole me Wink.

Posted By: Dimple2xs
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 7:25pm
Most definatey EP Hair has been the best thing I have learned from this board.  African Black Soap and Tendskin for my husband have been the best things I have learned about on the skin care board.

Posted By: Reign15
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 8:00pm

LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG! Thanks Sherrie & extensions101.com

Posted By: cookingirl
Date Posted: Oct 20 2006 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Remy hair....I especially like EP [IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>

People were looking at me like I was on crack when I would ask about Remy hair.  I have a cousin who is a bonifide weave queen (and drama queen) and even she was NOT in the know...she was like "chile why would I put some Remy up in my hair" [IMG]height=17 alt=Confused src="http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley5.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>.  I finally figured out she was talking about Remy Martin the alcoholic beverage [IMG]height=17 alt=LOL src="http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley36.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>.  Needless to say she had to get schooled by lil ole me [IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>.

That is too funny!

Posted By: hopeful
Date Posted: Oct 21 2006 at 2:06pm
i've learned  that remy hair is the way to go!! Thumbs Up

Posted By: Carla From VA
Date Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 12:56pm
Remy hair
Indian Hair
Extensions Plus
Beyond the Zone Noodlehead
Liquid Gold
Lacefronts
Protac
Relaxer Stretching
Infusium 23 Leave in
Cream of Nature
Good Flat Iron techniques

Sorry there is NO WAY I could just pick one thing! :-)

Posted By: mltrs62
Date Posted: Oct 22 2006 at 1:54pm
Knowing i can re-use the hair i buy over and over, also remi indian hair and tips of hair care and appliances also never to use BBS hair as long as live...LOL......also the great ladies on here for the vast knowledge on the subject of hair...thank you allClapHug

Posted By: mahogany814
Date Posted: Oct 24 2006 at 5:11pm

WOW - that's a loaded question...

remy hair, moistrizing hair underneath weave and sealing wefts.

Posted By: glamgal
Date Posted: Oct 25 2006 at 8:34am
I found extensions plus hair. Thanks Ladies! Its the only hair I will ever use from here on out and it was worth every penny. I went from people asking if my hair is real to people saying"your hair is gorgeous" and not even asking if its mine cause they assume it is real

Posted By: dcnative
Date Posted: Oct 26 2006 at 3:33pm

I'm new to weaves, but due to a medical condition, they have become my best friend, and obsession (thanks to this board).  The most important things I've learned about from this category (in order) are:

1) Closures (serious help for me) and
2) Non-BSS hair

Posted By: Marlene2007
Date Posted: Oct 26 2006 at 7:37pm
Non BSS hair
LG

Print Page | Close Window