Forum Name: Dark Spots
Forum Description: Discussion on Dark Spots
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=384894
Printed Date: Nov 19 2018 at 1:42pm

Topic: Diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris aka Chicken Skin
Posted By: Fauxtaye
Subject: Diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris aka Chicken Skin
Date Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 9:21pm
My son, age 9, was diagnosed with keratosis pillars and after seeing his primary doctor and dermatologist, they both said that there isn't a medicine to cure or treat it. While the rough skin.tiny bumps do not hurt, he's of age and starting to play a part in his self esteem. I give him black soap and Cetaphil for moisturizer in the morning and organic coconut oil with aloe vera gel for moisturizer at night. I'm curious if anyone has ever dealt with this skin issue and how you went to treat it. Im interested in any OTC med, holistic treatment, creams, etc.

Thanks in advance

Replies:
Posted By: camille07
Date Posted: May 20 2018 at 4:08pm
why didn't the dermatologist prescribe a topical retinoid? Confused 
if his age is an issue, rx strength salicylic acid is also an option. 

you can get urea creams from amazon. alldaychemist for tretinoin; adapalene/differin is also effective and it's otc now.  

i've been dealing with this my whole life, so let me know how, if any, these work for you. how long have you been trying this cetaphil/coconut regimen? 

Posted By: Fauxtaye
Date Posted: May 22 2018 at 4:23pm
Thanks for your response. The dermatologist had mis-diagnosed him with a different issue prescribe him with hydrocortisone. Once I saw it was the exact same brand and strength she gave him for eczema, I went right back to her office and told her to try again. She said there is nothing she can try beside acidic skin peel but do want to try that until it's super necessary. 

So since his keratosis diagnosis, I give him Gold Bond's Rough and Bumpy Skin Cream. It's been less than a month so no noticeable improvements. He still uses Dove soap and black soap to wash. I'll update this with any improvements or if it's gotten worse.

Posted By: perfekt904
Date Posted: Sep 28 2018 at 3:49pm
I use consistent exfoliation on my clients who suffer from KP. Its basically encrusted dead skin cells in the skin, exfoliation with a loofah or KIT (check link) should help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C8DR1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1# - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C8DR1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

Posted By: camille07
Date Posted: Nov 02 2018 at 11:34pm
i now use it so infrequently that i ran out of tretinoin unexpectedly. ordered some and it has been stuck in customs for forever. my skin reverted back so quickly, and i’m checking the tracking compulsively but nope, still in customs. 

so i can now say for certain that retinoids are the key to getting the skin totally clear and keeping it that way. 

Print Page | Close Window