Print Page | Close Window

Minneapolis/St Paul recommendations?!?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=384422
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 4:51am

Topic: Minneapolis/St Paul recommendations?!?
Posted By: NJHairLuv
Subject: Minneapolis/St Paul recommendations?!?
Date Posted: Oct 20 2016 at 3:37pm
Minneapolis/St Paul recommendations for great food, must see stuff and things to do?
I will be going there for 1 full day really soon (paisley.park), so I already know the Prince related sites and the Mall of America so I AM LOOKING FOR GENERAL MUST SEE STUFF, FOOD, NIGHTLIFE, ETC IN MINNEAPOLIS & ST PAUL.

Thank you!

Replies:
Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Oct 21 2016 at 7:26am
I'm so happy for u! Have fun

Date Posted: Oct 21 2016 at 8:57am
Thank you CB!!!

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 1:58pm
I know this is late, but did you go see First Avenue? Is that club still there because that is one of the places I plan to go on my trip there.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

I know this is late, but did you go see First Avenue? Is that club still there because that is one of the places I plan to go on my trip there.

That's one of the places on my list when I go to Minneapolis next year....plus the Hard Rock Cafe in the Mall of America, I believe that's where the have some of his memorabilia as well.

Date Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 11:42pm

Yes. I went to all of the Prince related stuff. First Ave is great. I took pix in front of it.

FYI - If you do go on a trip there, please do not assume that you can Uber your way around. When my friend went 2 wks ago, she mentioned overhearing people with $80-100 uber charges for very short trips and when I was at Paisley Park, I heard these two ladies looking at their uber app and saying that it would cost $80 to get back to their at the parking lot near the Chanhassen Cinema which was less than 10 minutes awayShocked (They ended up waiting and taking the last shuttle back to their car, not Uber).

I rented a car (a Charger) through Costco Travel (I have a Costco membership) and the car was from Alamo at the airport, was $45 for 1 day and that included all taxes and fees, unlimited mileage and could have covered one additional driver. My return flight got cancelled, so I had to rent a car for another day (less than 24 hours) and I got a Jeep Cherokee for $34, so you see that there is no way that paying uber will be economical.

Date Posted: Oct 26 2016 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

That's one of the places on my list when I go to Minneapolis next year....plus the Hard Rock Cafe in the Mall of America, I believe that's where the have some of his memorabilia as well.

Yes, his Sign O' The Times clothing and more is at the Hard Rock Cafe. Since I was short on time, I just hit the other things on my itinerary including the big Prince exhibit at the Mall of America that is only there til mid November.
If I wasnt stuck at the airport all Sunday til 6PM, I would have made time to see the stuff at the Hard Rock, but I just rushed out the airport, got another rental car, checked into the hotel that the airline paid for, then rushed to the Sheila E concert where proceeds went towards the local MN charities that Prince used to donate to.

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:07am
That's so cool!! Was that the Purple Philanthropy concert?

Sheila E., George Lopez, Judith Hill, and other celebs have a "Glamorous Life" cruise for Feb.'17 to the Bahamas. There will be tributes to both Prince & MJ.... I'm already booked for that one.

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:14am

That's so cool!!

Sheila E., George Lopez, Judith Hill, and other celebs have a "Glamorous Life" cruise for Feb.'17 to the Bahamas. There will be tributes to both Prince & MJ.... I'm already booked for that one.

Nice!!! Enjoy!!!Clap I remember hearing about that. Im sure that you will have a GREAT time!

I mentioned in the random chat thread, but not in the Prince thread that when I went to the Sheila  E Tribute for Prince, I was surprised to find out that my seats were in Prince's family's section (a box section over the stage). I was right behind Tyka (his sister) and her husband, Prince's nephew and Prince's brother and his guest.
Tyka and the nephew reached out to me and hugged me. They were very kind and sweet.

Im going to post a link to 2 clips of Sheila E's performance, but will be taking the link down rapidamente since BHM has that really quick no-edit policy now.

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:18am
***Here are 2 of my video clips from the Purple Philanthrophy concert***

Sheila E and Prince had a god son together (his parents worked for Prince during the Purple Rain tour) and he is now Sheila's guitarist:

https://instagram.com/p/BMB9MXHguWnq9jp5-qusHZy7_WOPi9dmm2N8_00/" rel="nofollow - https://instagram.com/p/BMB9MXHguWnq9jp5-qusHZy7_WOPi9dmm2N8_00/

The Glamorous Life:

https://instagram.com/p/BMA57s1AX7XyJ-jGgtHKWeYkTiC1PW1UBN4zW40/" rel="nofollow - https://instagram.com/p/BMA57s1AX7XyJ-jGgtHKWeYkTiC1PW1UBN4zW40/

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:21am
Omg you sat near & hugged his fams?!?

Can't get any closer to PRN than that, how awesome !! Girl, imma be screaming, singing and crying on this cruise, lol, can't wait! :)

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:31am
Some the pix i took whole sightseeing. First Ave, the murals in MPLS, etc:

The outside of the Mall of America Prince Exhibit:

The mural he posed in front of right before he hit the big time:

Paisley Park is in my heart

Chanhassen Cinema mural:

"Uptown" mural (Uptown Minneapolis)

Sheila E and Prince's family:

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:34am

Omg you sat near & hugged his fams?!?

Can't get any closer to PRN than that, how awesome !! Girl, imma be screaming, singing and crying on this cruise, lol, can't wait! :)

Girl, yes. I was sitting with the family.
If you look at the glamorous life video clip, that is Prince's nephew in the view of the camera clapping & dancing. Tyka was to his left. Prince's brother was to his right.

It's weird, but i always end up in fluke situations like that lol. Always

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:44am

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 12:53am
HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart So much greatness! Love the vids, Love the pics, I'm living vicariously through your purple experience, Thanks so much for sharing!! Big smileCryCryClap

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 1:58am

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 2:16am

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart So much greatness! Love the vids, Love the pics, I'm living vicariously through your purple experience, Thanks so much for sharing!! Big smileCryCryClap

You are very welcome!!!
I did more sightseeing in general landmarks in St Paul and Minnesota including St Paul's Cathedral, the homes of F. Scott Fitzgerald and also I went to the Electric Fetus record store, etc but those photos give the gist of the Prince must-see landmarks during a very brief trip (i got to MN at 8am on Saturday morning and was supposed to fly home at 12 noon on Sunday (ended up back at the airport at 4am on Monday for a 6am flight back home), so I saw and did everything that I had on my itinerary for the 1 day trip that I had planned.

Also, there is a lil cafe in St Paul called The Buttered Tin. My only regret for the whole trip is that I wasnt able to go back there on Sunday and Monday for breakfast bc their food is SOO GOOD!!!

Sidenote - Everyone in MN is really tall and corn fed (solid/athletic build). I was surprised, but I know that just like how Texans are tall, sturdy people, some Midwesterners are too, but i was just caught off guard by how many of them are really tall, but I remembered that it's bc of their German, Nordic & Swedish genes in that region. They are big, strong Minneaota Vikings for real.

And I never heard the stereotypical MN accent while I was there though i talked to a lot of people that have lived their all of their lives.

But then again, my cousin is a newscaster there in MN on a major network and she and her family there dont have the stereotypical MN accent, so i think that the accent may be more north or maybe in Fargo like that movie lol

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 4:00am
Did you stay at a hotel? I know you mentioned Uber's craziness with the prices, would Lyft be any different, you think? I don't drive, so those will be my only options right now....

Date Posted: Oct 27 2016 at 7:22am
Yes, the hotel that I booked and the hotel that the airline put me in after my flight got camceled were both across from Mall of America and 10 minutes from the airport. I have never used Uber nor Lyft, so I dont know
If those are your only options, at least you have a heads up about possible transportation costs.

Print Page | Close Window