Print Page | Close Window

ANOTHER texurizer question yaw...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Texturizers
Forum Description: Discussions on Texturizers
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=380720
Printed Date: Dec 17 2017 at 1:14am

Topic: ANOTHER texurizer question yaw...
Posted By: metrofemme
Subject: ANOTHER texurizer question yaw...
Date Posted: Sep 01 2015 at 4:43pm
Okay....here's my hair story....

In the past year or so, my hair has gone through a bit of a somewhat terrible phase. It all started after I got surgery in Nov. 2014 for fibroids (long story). While I am not sure if that sure if that is the culprit, I am at least sure it has a part of it. Any who, around January of this year, my hair began to shed major. So much so, I began to literally see it blow away in the cold Minnesota winter air. I thought that by washing my hair every two weeks would bring my hair back to life, it didn't. Then, like a knucklehead, I decided to get a perm..........BIG mistake, my hair became thin, limp and lifeless. I had to wear a ponytail on up until spring. In April, I began getting braids to seal up the problem. Well, needless to say, since my awful perm in February, and since I've had the braids...my hair has gotten back to it's original state. I guess because I've left it alone, along with the heat and chemicals. Now, Autumn is coming and I am already over getting braids. Hence, I am scared. because I am not so convinced my hair is truly healthy again and that maybe I should go a bit longer with getting braids because I don't have to deal with the BS my hair put me through in the beginning of the year.

So...........I was online chatting with a friend one night and she asked if I ever heard of a texturizer, I said no and she basically told me that maybe I should try that. She did state there are some pros and cons about getting one and she did tell me to do my research before I even step foot in a salon. I googled pictures of women who have received texturizers and they look great, some not so great; but I guess it all depends on how you take care of your hair.

Truth be told, I loooooooove short hair. And I would love to be able to wear it again and that is one of the reasons why I want to stop getting braids, but I know that in order for me to wear short hair again, I would have to get a perm in which I do not want to do and I don't want to wear it natural because I do not know how my hair will react with no perm in it....SO........that's where the texturizer idea comes in. I do not want to go through the trails and tribulations of wearing 10 products in my hair a day and going through excessive nightly rituals either, I just want to get a treatment that will bring my hair back to life and will make short hair look good on me again. But I am not sure if a texturizer is the way to go. 

As a reference my hair is coarse and a bit wavy and fine (and it breaks off easily)....so it's mix of textures.

If anyone can help me with my dilemma, that would be great!

Thank You! StarWink

Replies:
Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Dec 16 2015 at 4:10pm
I'm sorry, what was the question?

Posted By: Kliaah292
Date Posted: Jul 25 2016 at 12:27am
I suggest, if you check and it's okay with your doctor to take a hair supplement (from my experience biotin works wonders for thickness). Try to grow your hair in thick with a couple of protein treatments here and there, since you mentioned your hair is thick. Make sure you know your porosity and moisturize so you don't protein overload your hair. Get your hair nice and healthy and strong before using a very mild texturizer and I think you should be okay. This way, by thickening and strengthening the hair, you make sure that your hair is able to take the texturizer. In the meantime while you take these measures, I would suggest protective/low maintenance styling.

I totally feel you on getting surgery and it changing your hair. I had long, shiny, extremely soft and manageable bra strap length hair and had a major surgery on my spine. I didnt eat much and was on medication and it left my hair pretty thin and I lost length. Since then I got about a year and a half's worth of wearing weave. I cut off all heat and my hair got thicker after taking biotin and I could barely comb through my head full of 4B/4C hair. Since then yes my hair is thick and it doesnt look damaged, but it is so so so dry, brittle and rough that no matter what I do (DC, Cowash, LOC, heated DC, cold water rinse) nothing works. It's soft when it's wet, but when it air dries, it gets extremely dry. It is so frustrating, investing in expensive product and nothing works. I have been in cornrows under a wig going on a year now. It doesnt look as if my hair's grown at all. Im going to try to take biotin again in hopes of growing my hair out. I will be attending college Fall of 2017 and will definitely be getting a texturizer to make my hair more manageable. Honestly, I can't stand my 4C hair (not the look, just the maitenance)

Wish you good luck!

Print Page | Close Window