Print Page | Close Window

D.C. Members - Let me know something

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374343
Printed Date: Jun 19 2018 at 1:51pm

Topic: D.C. Members - Let me know something
Posted By: MinnyMiss16
Subject: D.C. Members - Let me know something
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:27pm
Hi guys,

So I just moved to DC about three/four months ago and I feel like the social aspect of my life is laaacking! There are a lot of people and events here, but it seems like most interactions aren't too concrete.

What do you guys do for fun? Where do you go? I need some spots to hit up. Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

Hi guys,

So I just moved to DC about three/four months ago and I feel like the social aspect of my life is laaacking! There are a lot of people and events here, but it seems like most interactions aren't too concrete.

What do you guys do for fun? Where do you go? I need some spots to hit up. Thanks!

I'm not in DC....but this is the same challenge for every city.

I'd recommend looking up alumni that were acquaintances in college. Check out ones for young black professionals. Also, ask friends/family if they have people in your city, integrate yourself into their group, and use that as a base of sorts to branch out and meet more people. Church is a great place as well, if you find a good one. Checkout meetups.com, they have events/groups for newbies in town, as well as events by interest.

Good luck! 

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 2:00pm
Try meetup.com its a vast array of different social groups you can join based on your interest.

Look up things to do in dc

We used to have First Friday but I haven't seen any emails about those events in awhile.

How old are you and what do you like to do?

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 3:22pm

Get on some event mailing lists:  Here's one:

http://www.flowinsiders.com/register.asp" rel="nofollow - http://www.flowinsiders.com/register.asp

Posted By: MsBella
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 4:08pm
Im from Bowie, Md but I'm in DC 5-6 days out of the week. I hang with friends at sushi spots, hookah bars, lounges, clubs, games, festivals etc. Trillectro just happened in DC two weekends ago and there were tons of people there. Its pretty easy to meet people in my opinion, especially if youre approachable. How old are you though?

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 5:02pm
Hi there,

Im 24 yrs old and working out in this area. I am connected with alumni associations for both my alma maters, but that hasnt been too fulfilling. The young, black professional events are okay, but can be very cliquey. I  went to one meetup and it was ok, but I can def try more. I'll check out flowinsiders though.

I think meeting people here has been more difficult than anyplace I've ever lived (and I move a lot), might be just the nature of DC.

Oh, and I'm very open to almost anything. I like shopping, music, drinking, social gatherings, etc.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 6:56pm
its DC, not u...i've been back since Sunday and ready to bounce already...unless u got a lil clique (in college, school, born n raised, etc)...its kinda wack unless u a heavy club goer and wanna be seen...if u trying knock some boots tho send me a pic of u and maybe we can meet up

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 7:10pm
Lmao, thank you, Marcelo that's what I thought. What are you doing here anyway, if you don't mind me asking.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 7:29pm
Yeah. DC people can be a tad elitist compared to some other cities and they might be uninterested in meeting new people. At least that's been me and my moms observation. You can come hang with me if you want... I'm kinda boring though. Lol. But I think meet up is your best bet.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:23pm

Lmao, thank you, Marcelo that's what I thought. What are you doing here anyway, if you don't mind me asking.

im here just working and saving up money...i went to Howard out here and been living in Seattle since I graduated...im back for a few months until I make this move overseas...dont listen to Samone tho...I got a nice sized ding a ling, i got pics if u wanna see...and I got a body of a greek god...if u look good we can kick it, not even on some sexual ish...we can just go out for drinks or hookah..i practically know no one out here again...all my homies gone..holla at me if u tired of the fake phonies...DC got a lot of them

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:42pm
marcelo send me some nudes. 

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:50pm
Lol it may be the nature but I dont really notice it. Im about to DM you!

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

aint u in a committed relationship? i've only sent my nudes to one woman on this site and she will forever remain nameless...i can't start sendin my dicc pics out all willy nilly 

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

aint u in a committed relationship? i've only sent my nudes to one woman on this site and she will forever remain nameless...i can't start sendin my dicc pics out all willy nilly 

Ouch

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 10:11pm
shut up and send her the nudz. if they get leaked on some Xpose the Bros ish, blame the icloud.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 10:20pm
lol I am watching the news and DC was voted #2 snobbiest city by some blog
I do only hang out with people I want to school w/and their friends. It's not even on purpose. It's just easy.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:42am
Go meet some people

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 7:42am
Attend /volunteer at political events.
join the DNC.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 9:22am
Ok this thread took a quick left so fast, haha! & Why do I have to be cute to hang out? Ugly women need love too! Nonetheless, Marcelo send them nudes and a face pic Stern Smile

I do hang out with people who I've  met here, but its different. I did go to the Mike Brown March two weeks ago and it was good, but it's not a social event. No one linked up and exchanged numbers.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 9:30am
LOL The people aren't that bad...

There are tons of networking events if that's how people make friends... try ALC weekend later this month. A lot of FREE post-conference events on eventbrite.

On a serious note, are networking events how people make friends post-grad? Scary thought.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 9:31am
lol i looked at the snobbiest lists and San Fran is #1  

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 9:40am
San Fran is hella wack...Seattle >>> San Fran...my real people in Oakland

Minnie looking at the guy in your avi, I don't think u wanna see what I look like 

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 9:42am
Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

There are tons of networking events if that's how people make friends... try ALC weekend later this month. A lot of FREE post-conference events on eventbrite.

On a serious note, are networking events how people make friends post-grad? Scary thought.

Lol no, not I. Im from Northern NJ and I'm just used to random ppl saying hi/complimenting me on the street, at cookouts, etc and that's usually how I meet new ppl. PPl here don't really socialize unless they have to which is weird because it's not even like that in NYC.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 9:43am

Minnie looking at the guy in your avi, I don't think u wanna see what I look like 

Lol, I actually do. Lemme seeee!

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:12am

Lol, I actually do. Lemme seeee!

i'll PM u...what u look like tho and where u stay in DC

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:26am
Clap PM me, then we can talk specifics!

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:30am
what's the nicest?

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:38am

Originally posted by dijah.love dijah.love wrote:

Lol no, not I. Im from Northern NJ and I'm just used to random ppl saying hi/complimenting me on the street, at cookouts, etc and that's usually how I meet new ppl. PPl here don't really socialize unless they have to which is weird because it's not even like that in NYC.

oooh I seeeee! You're looking for a boothang? Go to Park!

Posted By: tbaby123
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:45am
i just moved to MD.. shyt i need some friends lol let's be friends!

SL-- where do you live?

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:50am
Lmao Dijah, I am NOT looking for a boo, just real connects (lmao I sound like a dating website, I see what you mean).

& tbaby, Im down. PM me if you're serious! 

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:51am
Wow, I didn't know you moved to MD samone. I remember you calling silver spring the ghetto.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:51am
Wait a minute! Silver Spring isn't ghetto. I like it there, everything is central and close to the metro. I live in Takoma so I'm always there.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:56am
I like in Hyattsville. We all live close to each other. We should meet up for some fun.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:56am
I know. Lol! I'm from/live in silver spring when I'm not on campus. I love it here its very diverse.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 10:58am
Yessss a D.C meetup! That sounds fun!

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:01am
peeks in. Lives in MD 

I would be willing to meet up my fellow BHM'ers

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:05am
I'd be down.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:10am
Lol yup! I think you told me that it was the hood. I was hurt. Lol.
We have diff definitions of ghetto. While hyattesville isn't my fave Place, the ghetto would be like souf east to me. Or like some parts of suitland.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:16am
Hyattsville is being gentrified.....a LOT.  I think it was a little ghetto when I was growing up--or I never had positive thoughts about PG County since I was raised in Montgomery. They should fix PG Plaza though. The area around it is looking better but the stores in the mall are not great.  My friend was telling me how he is getting priced out of Hyattsville now.  White folk realize how close it is to DC w/o having to deal with D.C. traffic and congestion. I love D.C. though which is why I kinda forced DH to move into the city and not the suburbs. Every other day he's trying to convince me to move into the burbs.  I am just not even remotely interested in such a thing. There is one suburb I'd want to move to that is Tacoma Park.  Looooove all of the homes there. They're all so unique and different and it's close to DC.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:17am
i've always felt safe in Hyattsville

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:23am
Yes Epitome,  I live on the border and I love both sides. Takoma and Takoma Park are equally as great, but Takoma Park is just cheaper.

Now about this meet up that we're going to have? Big smile

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:33am
If I had to choose between moco and PG, I'd choose PG. I'd prefer to be around black people. I told my mom I want to move to bowie or mitchelville. Lol The only thing is the bus syst m is unreliable.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 11:55am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

If I had to choose between moco and PG, I'd choose PG. I'd prefer to be around black people. I told my mom I want to move to bowie or mitchelville. Lol The only thing is the bus syst m is unreliable.

See the thing is I grew up around a bunch of black people and I grew up in MoCo.LOL
Silver Spring is incredibly diverse.  Now maybe if I grew up in Chevy Chase or Bethesda I'd have a different opinion but in SS that's not an issue.  

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 12:06pm
minny, I'm down. Just make it on a Friday and I'll be there!

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 12:10pm
I went to a private school so I guess I can't speak. Lol I understand though because I worked for pgps for a quick a second. Sometimes I feel like some of the teachers/ administration don't do right by the kids. Howard has the best school system by far.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 12:22pm
Im down as well!

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 12:29pm
Pity, you are right. I just think PG has a culture that silver spring doesn't. Also DJs/bands never shout out silver spring at Gogos. Lol.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 12:42pm
Ok, so whats a GoGo? A club?

And I'm gonna think of some good places we can go or things we can do and I'll let you guys know what I come up with on Sunday!

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 12:42pm
Me too! Keep me postedBig smile

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:28pm
Me and Samone should hang out 1 on 1. The sexual tension has been there ever since we started talking about anal sex, especially thru PM.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Hyattsville is being gentrified.....a LOT.  I think it was a little ghetto when I was growing up--or I never had positive thoughts about PG County since I was raised in Montgomery. They should fix PG Plaza though. The area around it is looking better but the stores in the mall are not great.  My friend was telling me how he is getting priced out of Hyattsville now.  White folk realize how close it is to DC w/o having to deal with D.C. traffic and congestion. I love D.C. though which is why I kinda forced DH to move into the city and not the suburbs. Every other day he's trying to convince me to move into the burbs.  I am just not even remotely interested in such a thing. There is one suburb I'd want to move to that is Tacoma Park.  Looooove all of the homes there. They're all so unique and different and it's close to DC.

Pity, Hyattsville and Takoma Park are basically the same to me. they are brother and sister. 

I used to live in Hyattsville, considering moving back because its close to DC like you said. 

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:33pm
I like Silver Spring, I hate the 495. I like places closer to the 295 and 95. *shrugs*

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:34pm

Ok, so whats a GoGo? A club?

And I'm gonna think of some good places we can go or things we can do and I'll let you guys know what I come up with on Sunday!
Gogo is a type of music. But parties that play gogo are called gogos or blackouts (at least that's what me and my friends called them). It's pretty much only popular in the area so gogo bands will should out certain places like Anacostia, Suitland, Largo, and other places where the audience could be from.. But they never shout out anywhere in montgomery county. lol

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:42pm
Thank you. Speaking of Anacostia, can someone give me the low down? Is it really as dangerous as people say?

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Pity, Hyattsville and Takoma Park are basically the same to me. they are brother and sister. 

I used to live in Hyattsville, considering moving back because its close to DC like you said. 

I said Takoma Park but I meant Takoma.

Takoma is different from Takoma Park. Takoma is actually in DC and some of it runs into Takoma Park MD.  But I only like the part of Takoma Park that borders Takoma and that is closest to downtown Silver Spring.  They have really eclectic homes.  I like Victorians and things like that and mrE like Craftsman Style. You can't find that in a lot of places.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:51pm
Takoma is a nice area. Theres a community center over there with a nice pool and weight room free for residents of DC and DC students.

Anacostia isn't the worst imo. I been thru there, Barry Farms, Congress Heights, etc. Its a lot of poverty and I wouldnt be out there at night but during the day it was all love. Only person approached me that had me shook was this gay dude who held the door for me, he was staring all in my grill like he wanted to holla at me smh

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 1:53pm
In my opinion Anacostia is more gross than dangerous. I mean dead bodies were found in the river years back but I havent heard much since then.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 2:02pm
Also note that the experience of a women in certain areas will be different than that of males. With that being said, I don't venture there to often but when I do its fine.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 2:12pm
The apts were cheap, there and in Congress Heights and by the Deanwood metro, but I was told to KEEP OUT. It's hard to gauge because I'm from Newark, so idk how scared to ever really be lol. Ah well, I live in Takoma and like it so I guess its a win.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 2:32pm
I want to move to DC really bad.. but the apts i like as far as spaceand amenities cost an arm and a leg. sheesh

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I have never pmed marcelo and he has never sent me a pm lol

I still think we should hang out. I think I can learn a lot from an older woman like yourself.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 2:39pm
I wanted to move to DC I think I would like it.
My cousin lives in Northern VA and I like visiting her there and when we take trips to DC.

Where she lives is expensive as hell.

I'm afraid of the snow though so I'll stick with my TX move.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I wanted to move to DC I think I would like it.
My cousin lives in Northern VA and I like visiting her there and when we take trips to DC.

Where she lives is expensive as hell.

I'm afraid of the snow though so I'll stick with my TX move.

So is the DMV Jonesy,so is the DMVLOL

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 11:35am
Ok Ladies and Gents,

So I think that Lucky Strike would be a great place for our first meet up. It's a bowling alley with a bar and a pretty good food menu as well. It's located in Gallery Place so that should be pretty accessible for most.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.bowlluckystrike.com/locations/washington-dc/washington-dc/

The dates that I'm proposing are: Saturday, Sept 20
       Friday, Sept 26
      Saturday, Sept 27

Let me know what you think!

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 3:29pm
I think DC doesn't really have gang violence.
Folks just like to rob. 
There's also police every damn where. 

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by MsBella MsBella wrote:

Im from Bowie, Md but I'm in DC 5-6 days out of the week. I hang with friends at sushi spots, hookah bars, lounges, clubs, games, festivals etc. Trillectro just happened in DC two weekends ago and there were tons of people there. Its pretty easy to meet people in my opinion, especially if youre approachable. How old are you though?

DC born and raised U street and H&H the spots to be...adams morgan too crowded with the young ins now 

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 5:46pm
There is no parking at lucky stripes also Lauriol Plaza is the spot~~~

Posted By: MissCapricorn
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 6:05pm
There are tons of things to do in this area...it really depend on your specific interests as others mentioned.   Grits and Biscuits was last night. What are you into?

There is garage parking on 6th St for Lucky Strike, although Redline's happy hour across the street is better.

Living Social has events, if you are just trying to do something different than eat and drink.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I think DC doesn't really have gang violence.
Folks just like to rob. 
There's also police every damn where. 

Ehh theres not too many gangs.. more so "cliques". They kinda do shoot at each other lol. Not that its funny but..that stuff happens Uptown near Irving St and places around there

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by MsBMW MsBMW wrote:

DC born and raised U street and H&H the spots to be...adams morgan too crowded with the young ins now 

Cry It is crowded with the young ones. I was there last weekend and a few weekends before that LOL

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 7:49pm

Cry It is crowded with the young ones. I was there last weekend and a few weekends before that LOL

How old are u?

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:14pm
ill be there

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 11:00pm

How old are u?

Im down for the 26th or 27th btw.

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 8:45am
Ok sounds good! Are there any other specific places that anyone would like to suggest? If not we're doing Lucky Stripes and we'll a finalize a date.

I know it was stated that there isn't any parking there, but us there parking nearby?

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 8:57am
I wont be here the 26,27th..Unhappy will be out of town
The 20th though I'll be home

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:00am
I'm extra late. We haing a DMV meetup?  Embarrassed

Where & when? Geek

I might could show up. Big smile

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:04am
And who's all coming?

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:17am
I can't do the 27th.

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 10:44am
Depending on the time, I can't do the 20th.

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 12:18pm
Ok, I'll wait for more ppl to weigh in and see which date works for the most ppl.

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 10:10pm
Theres parking garages and parking along the diff streets near it

Date Posted: Sep 09 2014 at 10:45pm
bump

Date Posted: Sep 11 2014 at 4:28pm
uppers 

Date Posted: Sep 11 2014 at 11:17pm
Ok gang, so I tried to lay low and give you time to post. I think the date in which most of us would be able to attend would be Friday, Sept 20th. If interested, can you PLEASE let me know? I've had more people showing interest than actually listing what date they'd be available. Thanks!

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 2:15pm
bump 

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 3:30pm
So we meeting up Sep 20th?

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 3:58pm
where and when? 
i need an official list of the attendees 

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

where and when? 

right now its looking like 

MinnieMiss
Princess
Ms Bella
Samone Lenoir
ConcreteRose

u coming coconess? I'll fly u out Tongue

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 5:13pm
Oooh, so you guys are interested in this thread again?

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 5:22pm

Oooh, so you guys are interested in this thread again?

yes, so we meeting up this Friday right? Tongue

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 9:04pm
time?? Also, friday is the 19th

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 9:06pm
I'll be there!

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 9:07pm

Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

where and when? 

right now its looking like 

MinnieMiss
Princess
Ms Bella
Samone Lenoir
ConcreteRose

u coming coconess? I'll fly u out Tongue

first class or nah? 

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 9:10pm
Where is the meet up? Focus y'all! Dang!!

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 9:30pm
The date and location that was chosen to be the most popular was.Saturday, Sept 20 and Lucky Stripe in Chinatown. I felt like most ppl either lost track or became uninterested sI three thread fell off. I can still coordinate the meet up, but it's kind of frustrating.

Also a time wasn't chosen because some ppl listed certain time constraints. I was hoping to gain more info on said limitations in order to choose a time that works for everyone.

Date Posted: Sep 15 2014 at 10:53pm
Saturday from 1-3pm seems fair enough.

Print Page | Close Window