Print Page | Close Window

does hiphop effect children more negatively then

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374335
Printed Date: Dec 13 2017 at 6:11am

Topic: does hiphop effect children more negatively then
Posted By: bunzaveli
Subject: does hiphop effect children more negatively then
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 7:19am
does hiphop effect children more negatively then it did us years ago ? i heard this on the radio (the breakfast club), where charlamagne said music effects everything you do, my question is why would the negativity in hiphop be more detrimental to children today then it was to many of us in our youth ?

the ny style gangsta rap/hiphop that landscaped and was popular in the 90s   was a lot more violent, mysogynstic then it is today, no ? lil wayne is a skateboarder that talks about all the women he sleeps with and young thug wears dresses to concerts and calls his male friends lovers. wu tang on the other hand was talking about shoving a hot coat hanger in your ass.

Replies:
Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 7:52am
Charlamagne is a certified c*nt.

I agree with a ton of sh*t he says .. But lately he's been talking out of his ass ..

He's been pandering of late.

The Only argument he can throw is that hiphop is more accessible but the advent of the internet blows the presumed effects of hiphop on the psych out of proportion.

Hiphop like jazz is a scapegoat for people who don't want to address the root cause

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:07am
its more accessible and the content changed.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:08am
lmao, i kept sounding out effect and affect, and for some reason i stuck with effect cause of a thread i saw on 50 cent messing up the word. dont judge me

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:45am
The difference between now and then is even back then, there was at least some substance being played. And they were bangers! They were hits.

I was driving the other day and randomly happened on my town's hip hop station. I thing Young Thug or Rich Homie Quan was playing. Yall. The entire song literally sounded like one elongated, slurred, word. I could barely decipher what he was saying to determine whether I should be offended or not. I wouldn't even consider a lot of what is put out as music. It's just a jumbled mess.

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 8:56am
I think hip hop does play a role in setting expectations for children. It helps illustrate social templates that kids want to follow. Environment and racism and poverty, yes all of that too, but it's worth mentioning that hip hop is very influential to growing people . Maybe more than any other music genre (aside from country) it teaches as well as entertains.  It teaches people how to talk, how to dress, how to think.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 9:29am
I am sorry bunz but you and that damn avi is killing me CryLOL

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 11:37am
I absolutely think so. I used to say that the media doesn't raise your children, you do. But once they reach the age that they strive to be accepted by their peers, all that logic may not apply any more

My aunts a 5th grade teacher and one year she had to sit down with two of her black boys. They had called one of the darker girls ugly because of her skin tone in front of the entire class. The little girl was so hurt. My aunt said she had never seen a student cry like that. When she told the boys parents, one of them were shocked. They said they always taught their son that black women of all shades are beautiful and to respect them.

But when he gets to school and all his friends are reciting misogynistic lyrics - then what? I don't know how I'm going to buffer peer pressure when my son gets that age aside from talking his ear off about it.

I definitely agree that the content of music has changed. Conscious rap was popular and mainstream. Not so anymore.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I think hip hop does play a role in setting expectations for children.
It helps illustrate social templates that kids want to follow.
Environment and racism and poverty, yes all of that too, but it's worth
mentioning that hip hop is very influential to growing people . Maybe
more than any other music genre (aside from country) it teaches as well
as entertains.  It teaches people how to talk, how to dress, how to
think.

does it really?

or is it a reflection of the constant youthfulness of the culture?

its still very much influenced by inner city trends rather than the other way around

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 11:45am
also we keep talking about conscious rap

lets bear in mind that conscious rap as a movement was dead by 1991 pretty much

we havent had a conscious movement in rap on larger platform since the beginning of 1992 and then only a few groups managed to peek through like arrested development

the conscious rap movement's been dead longer than it was alive.

the rawkus and koch era couldnt even make that much of a significant impact

Posted By: Josephuss
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 11:49am
content wise, hiphop has no redeeming qualities these days. hiphop wasnt worse in the 90s. they atleast tried to surround the negativity with substance. now the majority is pure garbage.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Charlamagne is a certified c*nt.

I agree with a ton of sh*t he says .. But lately he's been talking out of his ass ..

He's been pandering of late.

The Only argument he can throw is that hiphop is more accessible but the advent of the internet blows the presumed effects of hiphop on the psych out of proportion.

Hiphop like jazz is a scapegoat for people who don't want to address the root cause
No argument there.Wink

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:14pm
so your girl fluent in trapanese?

theres a text id like translation on mate

lol

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I think hip hop does play a role in setting expectations for children.
It helps illustrate social templates that kids want to follow.
Environment and racism and poverty, yes all of that too, but it's worth
mentioning that hip hop is very influential to growing people . Maybe
more than any other music genre (aside from country) it teaches as well
as entertains.  It teaches people how to talk, how to dress, how to
think.

does it really?

or is it a reflection of the constant youthfulness of the culture?

its still very much influenced by inner city trends rather than the other way around

Those trends would remain niche without hip hop to get it out to the masses.

My girl is a teacher, working with kids all day. Hip Hop absolutely teaches them how to talk, how to dress, how to think, and in a lot of cases what to think about topics/situations.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:35pm
when i was in the 4th grade, there was a dance called the doodoo brown, its pretty much what they called twerking in 93 or whatever year that was. little girls were doing this dance during recess. they would never dare do that sh*t in front of our parents cause they would tear our asses up. this was like 20 years ago

fast forward to last year, me and my brothers were looking at our window and these hoodrat mommas were encouraging there daughters, had to be like 7 or 8 years old to "twerk", we was like damn everyone in that parking lost at life already.

what happen between then and now ? i grew up around Brothas, and these Brothas is different.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:43pm
Yeah. I agree with others. I think its just a matter of over saturation.
Even R&B music is all about boning in the club and pulling your panties to the side.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:51pm
I never understood how doodoo brown was allowed to be cool, come nuh man doo do brown?

here on the islands my answer (in relation to dancehall) would be yes yes and definitely yes but not only the kids but the young adults too plenty of anecdotal evidence as proof, it is scary how young the mtv generation is/kids stop watching cartoons /shows. but as regards the OP im sitting back in the cut reading and thanking, thanking and reading.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 12:55pm
Yes . Children and adults try to emulate the image and lifestyle. Growing up in the southern suburbs of EAST ST LOUIS , The message of hip-hop music was liberation and confidence. Hip-hop shaped politics and gave a positive image of our people , but that was 1979/1980.

My love affair with hip-hop ended after years of disappointment with messages of violence, misogyny, materialism and hostile sexual stereotyping. I will never purchase the current rap for my little daughter .

We listen to old school rap on occasion , but my baby likes MJ and One Direction . I enjoy old school rap like Snoop in private mommy time. We need better images and lyrics for our teens .
Children should never be exposed to hard core rap in my op . Many young kids can sing the lyrics to rap artist , but fail Kindergarten . I think many young parents expose children to adult content and think it's cute and ok . My parents would never allow kids to sit in the same room during Adult entertainment times . We as Parents are responsible for our children , not the rappers if we allow our kids to listen to that mess . JMO

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 1:34pm
The difference is that back then there was balance and some substance. You may have a song repping thug life and then another about something positive. There was diversity. There was the Fugees, and then there was Bone Thugs N Harmony. On top of that, there were social films/movies that hilighted good rap and other issues. Rappers back in the day, made sure in their songs that people never forgot where they "came from". 

Even rappers like Kanye, who DID put out quality music in the beginning sharply declined around the later 2000s. 

Rappers now have VERY little substance and have evolved into coons. All they talk about is eating pu$$y, getting pu$$y, money, or what they have. They completely disrespect the old heads that paved the way for them. I heard Missy and Timbaland talking about this at one point. They NEVER disrespected the artists that paved the way for them, nowadays if you haven't made a hit in 5 years all prior accomplishments and music means nothing. These new rappers have never lived the lifestyles that they speak and most are unoriginal. They copy each other's style of rap so much to the extent where they all sound the same. They are actors, literal performers and have no type of connection or understanding of the communities that support their songs. 

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 1:40pm
......but despite all of that....let me be clear, music has gotten BETTER since the "Snap Era". 

THAT was terrible.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 1:40pm
THAN, not then.
Why isn't crime rate and teen pregnancy going up?
Why is it the lowest it's ever been?

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

THAN, not then.
sang with that ether

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 5:35pm
I wasn't really old enough in the 80s or 90s to know who really stood for what, but atleast right now, none of the most popular(radio, tv, etc) hip hop artists really stand for sh*t.  they're mainly playing scared and afraid to say anything controversial unless it has to do with degrading women.  Besides, they all have more money than the generation of hip hop before, been rich too long, and have become a shell of themselves.  I don't know the impact it has on children...it might not be negatively impacting their lives, but it's not really doing much positive either.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 5:55pm
lol I just randomly remembered when I heard Trick Daddy's "Nann" for the first time. I was riding in a rented van with my uncle and a bunch of old people listening to Kirk Franklin's God's Property album. I ain't wanna listen to "Stomp" all the way to South Carolina from Florida so I asked my uncle could I listen to his cd player. I went through his cds and picked out his Trick Daddy cd.

I put the earphones on my ear and eventually "Nann" made it's way to my ears. More specifically, Trina talking about riding dick on a dime, and letting other girls lick her clit, and selling ass, and licking nut sacks, and fuccin 5 and 6 best friends, and making Brothas cum, and deep throating. I had that song on repeat for damn near 5 hours, with a woody in my pants, like

Hip Hop taught me a lot of sh*t about life.

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 5:57pm
^^im cryingCryLOL

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

......but despite all of that....let me be clear, music has gotten BETTER since the "Snap Era". 

THAT was terrible.

I had a good time dancing

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 6:19pm
*does the poole palace* 

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

The difference is that back then there was balance and some substance. You may have a song repping thug life and then another about something positive. There was diversity. There was the Fugees, and then there was Bone Thugs N Harmony. On top of that, there were social films/movies that hilighted good rap and other issues. Rappers back in the day, made sure in their songs that people never forgot where they "came from". 

Even rappers like Kanye, who DID put out quality music in the beginning sharply declined around the later 2000s. 

Rappers now have VERY little substance and have evolved into coons. All they talk about is eating pu$$y, getting pu$$y, money, or what they have. They completely disrespect the old heads that paved the way for them. I heard Missy and Timbaland talking about this at one point. They NEVER disrespected the artists that paved the way for them, nowadays if you haven't made a hit in 5 years all prior accomplishments and music means nothing. These new rappers have never lived the lifestyles that they speak and most are unoriginal. They copy each other's style of rap so much to the extent where they all sound the same. They are actors, literal performers and have no type of connection or understanding of the communities that support their songs. 

im not sure if you agree or disagree but going back to what afro said, is it the music making the children, or the children making the music ? the hughes brothers made menace to society at 18 or 19 years old.  that sh*ts mind boggling to me. 18 ...

gary gray and ice cube made friday when they was 24. gary gray made set it off when he was 25.

and to say the artist never disrespected there elders ? thats one of the cornerstones of hiphop, out with the old, in with the new. jaz-o is crying some where right now.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

THAN, not then.
more head ?

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Sep 04 2014 at 6:51pm
its amazing ho young everyone was back then.........

I feel like its a mixture.... I just wrote on facebook how New York has shown waaayy more love to bobby shmurder than joey badass or troy ave.  Most ppl I know complain bobby is more chi-town sounding yet the don't embrace joey.

Bunz  the reason those moms were prob encouraging it was because they grew up on uncle luke and such, so they see it as all fun and games.  

Print Page | Close Window