Print Page | Close Window

grown people who dont drive

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374269
Printed Date: Sep 21 2018 at 1:07am

Topic: grown people who dont drive
Posted By: ModelessDiva
Subject: grown people who dont drive
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 5:50pm
(excluding the people who live in areas where you may not need a car....NYC etc)

At what age is it unacceptable to be a "rider"?

Im not talking about someone actually saving to get a car, or having car problems so they cant use their car temporarily..that's understandable...

I'm talking about grown people, who have really never had transportation and seem like they dont care to ever have it. They are always "riding" with someone and never driving when you go places. They always supply gas money...etc..etc...but my thing is I dont understand grown people who are ok with always riding and not having their own. 

Even if they are good people/friends in every other way would you continue to ride them around? or nah

Deal breaker?

Replies:
Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 5:54pm
Some people have anxiety about driving from (bad accidents, etc). I know I do. I can drive I just don't, but I have my own car. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 5:59pm
People with kids that don't drive really get me...my bfs sister in law refuses to drive. His brother goes out of town for work like three nights per mth and she has to go sleep at her mothers house because she would be stranded with their 4 yr old son. We have had so many complications that would've been erased if she could drive.

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

Some people have anxiety about driving from (bad accidents, etc). I know I do. I can drive I just don't, but I have my own car. 

and i can understand this...

im talking about people who dont... because they just dont.....

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

People with kids that don't drive really get me...my bfs sister in law refuses to drive. His brother goes out of town for work like three nights per mth and she has to go sleep at her mothers house because she would be stranded with their 4 yr old son. We have had so many complications that would've been erased if she could drive.

Stern Smile

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:03pm
I can't stand driving, dang sure don't want to drive no one else around. Where I live you need a car too. Around 25 I'd have to say. But still some people aren't fortunate enough to have a car or in the position to buy one so that has to be understood.
Or like someone else said, some people fear driving or just don't know how to 

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:05pm
cheap i say, don't want to spend $$$ on maintenance, payments, or anything to do with another expense...there is this guy at my job (well he dont work there anymore) who doesn't have a car and wanted to take me out...guess who would have had to drive all the way to Broad and Olney and pick up and tote to said destination and drop off before i would have 40 minutes to get home myself...

i said no to him....cheap i say..

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:11pm
25 you say?

Posted By: AshBash89
My cousin will be 30 in September and has never had a license. He's a bum though.

girl he 34 years old.....wth??? 

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:13pm
When my car was in the shop and me and my friend were taking classes together. I remember she got pissed off at our teacher and left me there....and then went back to MY HOUSE!! Angry

I'm more annoyed by people who CAN drive and just haven't taken the initiative to get their own sheit because they rather use someone else for free. Never again. 

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:13pm
whoever one starred this must be that person.....
lol

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:20pm
I find this very odd

Unless you have a good reason like the ones you listed I don't understand how someone is comfortable taking the bus or relying on rides from other people

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:22pm

When my car was in the shop and me and my friend were taking classes together. I remember she got pissed off at our teacher and left me there....and then went back to MY HOUSE!! Angry

I'm more annoyed by people who CAN drive and just haven't taken the initiative to get their own sheit because they rather use someone else for free. Never again. 

LOL this is exactly what this thread is about.... to the "T"...

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 6:45pm
Luckily I don't have any bums in my life that bother me for a ride because I am a taxi driver for no one. 
O/T: My car was being worked on once years ago and I had to take the bus.  Never ever ever again.  I'll rent a car before riding the bus!

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 7:34pm
in the city i guess i can see cause the insurance rates are super high.  But still________. You can't keep depending on folks with cars to tote ur ass around, they have things to do also. I did it,done it, and been there will never do it again unless they r a co-worker and their car is in the shop and need a ride to work and work only...get a rental if u need to do errands and stuff...

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 8:22pm
I'm a late driver. I was too scared to drive until now. I always thought that I was going to crash into people but it's really not that bad. Hopefully I get my license and a car by Oct Smile

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 8:28pm
I don't drive because of anxiety issues stemming from an accident years ago when I was "T-boned", I know that's not the real subject of the OP, but I wanted to bring that up anyway. I'm too independent to depend on others, so I still get around.  I'm hoping to work on my driving issues and, slowly but surely, get back behind the wheel again....

But if there's some people who just outright expect others to taxi them around, a good idea would be just to hand them a bus book and a number to an actual taxi. My brother (who has no driving issues) is like this and his wife has to drive him AND my niece everywhere. He's 47 y.o.......Sleepy

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 8:57pm
^^ what is "T-boned"?

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

I'm a late driver. I was too scared to drive until now. I always thought that I was going to crash into people but it's really not that bad. Hopefully I get my license and a car by Oct Smile

best of wishes galBeerThumbs Up

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

^^ what is "T-boned"?

When you're driving straight and someone hits you on the side.

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:19pm
Well, at least I'm not alone. 

For me it's debilitating because I'm ashamed about my anxiety. When I actually DO get behind the wheel though, I'm fine and I drive regular. It's crazy. 

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

^^ what is "T-boned"?

When you're driving straight and someone hits you on the side.

Ouch

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:28pm

For me it's debilitating because I'm ashamed about my anxiety. When I actually DO get behind the wheel though, I'm fine and I drive regular. It's crazy. 

You're definitely NOT alone. I'm good with driving too it's just everyone else I can't trust. I really think I'm gonna die out there, it's tough feeling that way Cry

But like I said, I'm gonna try my hardest....with a few friends helping me, to finally conquer this mountain. It won't be overnight I'm sure but I DO know it WILL happen. Hang in there. Wink

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:33pm
I have anxiety about driving. I'm afraid that I don't have the attention span and focus needed. I can drive well enough to get some one to a hospital but I don't have my license... yet.

And honestly I don't call people for a ride because I know that it can be a hassle. I've had friends cuss me because I don't ask if anything. I'll accept a ride if they're already going in the same direction.

I live in Boston tho. A car is convenient but not as necessary as say L.A.

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:34pm

You're definitely NOT alone. I'm good with driving too it's just everyone else I can't trust. I really think I'm gonna die out there, it's tough feeling that way Cry

But like I said, I'm gonna try my hardest....with a few friends helping me, to finally conquer this mountain. It won't be overnight I'm sure but I DO know it WILL happen. Hang in there. Wink

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:34pm
Most people I know who don't drive say they get to anxious and that's fine. I wouldn't want someone who gets very anxious behind the wheel to drive. You're ready when you're ready.

Some can't afford a car, gas, taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc so I can understand that too.

I dunno. As long as you got gas money, you can ride with me!Stern SmileLOL

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:36pm
how exactly did that happen AZ?

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:37pm
AZ MAVERICK....were you the one who posted a pic of your white car on here when i made that post of getting a new car?  you were in an accident since you posted that pic? if it were you...

if so, so glad you are ok and not seriously hurt...OMG...can always get another car but not another Y.O.U.

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:51pm

Long story short....about a year before I had kids, so about 21 years ago, I was just going to the store right in the neighborhood I was about a half a block away....light turns green....but the person to my left ran the red light and that's when it happened. They weren't drunk, just not paying attention. It didn't hit where I was but more in the back and made the car spin around. It happened so fast I was shaking Cry

I was able to walk away, thank God, but it scared me so much to think that my life could have been over in a split second. it's terrifying!

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:54pm
UR SO VERY WELCOME...stupid ass driver....

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

AZ MAVERICK....were you the one who posted a pic of your white car on here when i made that post of getting a new car?  you were in an accident since you posted that pic? if it were you...

if so, so glad you are ok and not seriously hurt...OMG...can always get another car but not another Y.O.U.

No, that wasn't me, but thank you I appreciate it! Heart

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:07pm
People just don't know man....it's awful. I live somewhere where you have to drive, have reliable transportation. This situation has put me in the position where I am getting blatantly taken advantage of. 

To some degree this has to be a confidence issue, where I just don't trust myself. It really makes me angry. 

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:15pm

Long story short....about a year before I had kids, so about 21 years ago, I was just going to the store right in the neighborhood I was about a half a block away....light turns green....but the person to my left ran the red light and that's when it happened. They weren't drunk, just not paying attention. It didn't hit where I was but more in the back and made the car spin around. It happened so fast I was shaking Cry

I was able to walk away, thank God, but it scared me so much to think that my life could have been over in a split second. it's terrifying!

Hug

its extremely terrifying..i know exactly how you feel

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:29pm

that sucks.  I'm so sorry you had to go thru that.

smh. see...i'm afraid that that person will be me.

But also as a pedestrian...I could have been mowed down many a time just this past month when I had the right of way due to people not paying attention.  I'm lucky that I'm in the habit of checking both ways and making eye contact with drivers even when I have the right of way.   Cars just cruise right thru like they ain't see the red light. *shrugs* maybe they didn't.

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:37pm
@Modeless: OMG.....I'm so sorry that happened to you! Hug Thank God you're still here, people are plain nuts!

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:48pm

@Modeless: OMG.....I'm so sorry that happened to you! Hug Thank God you're still here, people are plain nuts!
moments like those teach you how short life really can beOuch
that was so terrifyingCry

Hug
Im glad you made it out ok also..isnt God good?Heart

i just know i dont ever wanna experience anything even remotely close to that again...

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:59pm
I just don't care to drive....i have no problems getting where i have to go on my own....i do know how to drive only for emergencies....i don't even bother tell ppl anymore they make a big deal out it and want to tell others guess it's shocking....I'm just like meh...with buses, cabs, rails, and walking im good...city life is the way to go for me.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:06pm
I don't understand it. Especially when you have kids. Like WTF?

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

I just don't care to drive....i have no problems getting where i have to go on my own....i do know how to drive only for emergencies....i don't even bother tell ppl anymore they make a big deal out it and want to tell others guess it's shocking....I'm just like meh...with buses, cabs, rails, and walking im good...city life is the way to go for me.

how old are you if you dont mind me asking?

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:20pm
One of my biggest pet peeves. Always want you to take them somewhere and will use their kids to guilt trip you

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:22pm
^^^29

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

One of my biggest pet peeves. Always want you to take them somewhere and will use their kids to guitar trip you

mann

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:56pm

^^^29

ooh ok

Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:56pm

girl.  even if I don't say nuffin' other people make sure to let other people know so they can watch everybody try to shame me.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 11:58pm
20. 18 if you have kids

Date Posted: Sep 01 2014 at 12:07am

Hug

i just know i dont ever wanna experience anything even remotely close to that again...

I hear you!

I guess the good part that came out of this fukkery was I lost some baby weight I was carrying over the years. Smile

Date Posted: Sep 01 2014 at 12:14am
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

20. 18 if you have kids

lmao damn nitaCry

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Sep 01 2014 at 12:15am

Originally posted by BBpants BBpants wrote:

best of wishes galBeerThumbs Up

Thank you Big smile

Date Posted: Sep 01 2014 at 12:28am

Hug

I hear you!

I guess the good part that came out of this fukkery was I lost some baby weight I was carrying over the years. Smile

awesome...Wink

i learned a lot of valuable life lessons that day....my whole world changed...

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Sep 01 2014 at 1:25am
I see no problem with it if the driver is offering them the lift and they pay for petrol and ish....

plus its environmentally friendly to lift share

ia with the anxiousness though.....but luckily i live in a city where you don't need a car.

Posted By: cosmogirl
Date Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 4:01pm
I don't drive - I'm late 30's.

I either have my bus, taxi or train money or I keep my azz in the house.

If someone is going my way - offers a lift or I ask for a lift then I slip them some cash or I give them a thank you gift like a bottle of wine/beer if they refuse cash.

I am not in a position to own a car.

Print Page | Close Window