Print Page | Close Window

Exodos movie:They still want your black/brown $/£

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374207
Printed Date: Dec 10 2018 at 8:12am

Topic: Exodos movie:They still want your black/brown $/£
Posted By: Lilaca
Subject: Exodos movie:They still want your black/brown $/£
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 2:45pm

'It's an important story of racial struggle': Joel Edgerton says it would be 'a shame' if Ridley Scott's Exodus was boycotted over alleged racist whitewashing of characters

By http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Amy+Croffey+for+Daily+Mail+Australia" rel="nofollow - Amy Croffey for Daily Mail Australia

Published: 04:52, 28 August 2014 | Updated: 13:25, 28 August 2014

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2736346/Joel-Edgerton-says-shame-Ridley-Scott-s-Exodus-boycotted-alleged-racist-whitewashing-characters.html#socialLinks" rel="nofollow -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2736346/Joel-Edgerton-says-shame-Ridley-Scott-s-Exodus-boycotted-alleged-racist-whitewashing-characters.html#comments" rel="nofollow -

- View comments

Ridley Scott's Exodus: Gods and Kings has been criticised for allegedly whitewashing history by using four caucasian actors in the lead roles.

Some people have even threatened to boycott the movie for doing so, but Australian actor Joel Edgerton, who plays one of those leads, Pharaoh Ramses II, has urged the public to go and see it.

The 40-year-old Sydney-sider told http://www.sbs.com.au/thefeed/blog/2014/08/27/joel-edgerton-interview" rel="nofollow - SBS's The Feed  that the story of the biblical blockbuster was so important people shouldn't turn away because of the criticism.

Scroll down for video 

New movie: Joel Edgerton told SBSs The Feed it would be a shame if Ridley Scotts Exodus was boycotted over what some people believe is racist whitewashing of characters 
+6

New movie: Joel Edgerton told SBS's The Feed it would be 'a shame' if Ridley Scott's Exodus was boycotted over what some people believe is racist whitewashing of characters 

In costume: The 40-year-old Sydney-sider said the story of the biblical blockbuster was so important people shouldnt turn away because of the criticism
+6

In costume: The 40-year-old Sydney-sider said the story of the biblical blockbuster was so important people shouldn't turn away because of the criticism

'It’s such an important story of racial struggle. The dominance of one race over the another and I think it’s such a great story. It would be a shame for people to not see it or turn away for another reason,' he said.

For the movie, based on Moses' hand in leading the Israelite slaves out of Egypt, he sports fake tan, a bald head, bronzed muscles and a whole lot of guyliner - but the blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aussie is not the most obvious choice to play an Egyptian.

The Star Wars actor, who will appear alongside Christian Bale, Aaron Paul and Sigourney Weaver in the Egyptian epic directed by the legendary filmmaker, said he was in a bad place when he found out about the movie.

Around that time, the handsome actor's engagement to fashion designer Alexis Blake ended and he was also going through a grieving period following a family death.

'I was in a very bad place in my of life when I got the got the call. Personal things like breakups and there had been a death in my family and I was tired of stuff,' he also told The Feed.

In a shift from form, Edgerton plays a villain and a historical one at that: ancient Egyptian ruler Ramses.

The film - which is said to have a budget of over $150m - is the biggest blockbuster Edgerton has ever taken part in, with an all-star cast including Sir Ben Kingsley and John Turturro.

Despite the jaw-dropping special effects which see everything from tornadoes and rivers of blood, to tidal waves and lightning storms come to life, it seems at the centre of the film are the performances from Bale and Edgerton.

The characters are described as two boys who grew up together in ancient Egypt 'like brothers', but who come to blows over their differing opinions on slavery.

Exodus: Gods And Kings is set for release in the coveted Christmas time slot in the lead-up to awards season, with it hitting cinemas on January 1, 2015. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2736346/Joel-Edgerton-says-shame-Ridley-Scott-s-Exodus-boycotted-alleged-racist-whitewashing-characters.html#ixzz3BiZ5QMVj" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2736346/Joel-Edgerton-says-shame-Ridley-Scott-s-Exodus-boycotted-alleged-racist-whitewashing-characters.html#ixzz3BiZ5QMVj
Follow us: http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline" rel="nofollow - @MailOnline on Twitter | http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail" rel="nofollow - DailyMail on Facebook

Replies:
Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 3:02pm
Nope.

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 3:05pm
Nope.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 3:34pm
I like how they posted the pic of him with that brown chick to get a lil validation....yeah can seem to drum up one single

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:01pm
I saw that Mizzsandra. my side eye was severe.

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:12pm
didnt plan on watching it but now i'll be sure not to.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Nope.

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 4:51pm

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:03pm
Hell naw.
I don't hold him responsible because he's an actor and doesn't have influence on the casting but no. I guess Ridley Scott lives in his own hermetic Caucasoid universe.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.
nope

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.
nope

nope

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:32pm
So.. is this the story of the Prince of Egypt ?

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.
nope

nope
... nope.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 6:30pm
I am so not watching this I really hope most people don't go see this BS

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 6:33pm
Can't wait for a director to do Egypt right

Such a beautiful civilization, it's a shame yts are so incredibly insecure and too self-centered to cast people who actually resemble Egyptian drawings

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Can't wait for a director to do Egypt right

Such a beautiful civilization, it's a shame yts are so incredibly insecure and too self-centered to cast people who actually resemble Egyptian drawings

Problem is I don't think modern day Egyptians themselves would want to see a movie with a cast that actually resembles Egyptian drawings, judging by that newspaper headline in the other thread.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 6:49pm
I couldn't give a fck about modern day Arab-Egyptians

They're as Egyptian as Whites are American

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 6:55pm
Why are they always trying to white wash everything. Seriously though white people are not that interesting. 

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 7:02pm
Nope.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 3:32am
Nope.

And not just because the characters are whitewashed.  They are using inaccurate historical and archeological information that was invalidated in the 90s.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 3:41am
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

nope

nope

... nope.
....nope

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 5:31am
I would quote all that and cosign but nope!

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 5:54am
Hahahaha hahahaha!

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 6:24am
Smh.

Print Page | Close Window