Print Page | Close Window

Sept 8th BLACKOUT hit em where it hurts

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374069
Printed Date: Nov 25 2017 at 6:24am

Topic: Sept 8th BLACKOUT hit em where it hurts
Posted By: noneyons
Subject: Sept 8th BLACKOUT hit em where it hurts
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:00pm

Thanks to AmandaKay and sexyandfamous!Clap

spread the wordThumbs Up

Replies:
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:23pm
fixed

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:27pm
I approve this message

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:49pm
are any famous people on board with this? This would be AMAZING if it works

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:58pm
this i can def get down with. 

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:58pm
I'm on board, but living in Phoenix this is gon be hard as hell . Guess I'll just stay at home all day .

No but really, where am I supposed to get my gas? Unless I fill up before Sept. 8....

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:02pm
I will definitely be participating in this.

OAN I posted this on my facebook page yesterday and someone commented saying why does everything have to be about race. -_- 

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

I'm on board, but living in Phoenix this is gon be hard as hell . Guess I'll just stay at home all day .

No but really, where am I supposed to get my gas? Unless I fill up before Sept. 8....

Girl fill that tank up the day before!

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:03pm

Posted By: thickblkbarbie
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:15pm
I got this Memo while at work , I was waiting for my co worker, to be done with the copier, he is black by the way,Before i gave him a copy, i asked if it was safe to use the copier, And guess what, it wasn't, my copies I made, was in transit via email,to a few of his yt co worker    , So me/ co worker, started to have a dialogue about the Micheal Brown case in the Fax/Copier Room, and guess who walks in, the yt co worker, she said she received the Memo, I kindly told her, if she wanted to participate she can, if not Delete the Memo ,but i continue to give a few of my black colleague the Memo!!and told them to spread the word!!

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:17pm
^^

i love it! LOL

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:24pm

what do you mean by living in Phx? its the same as living anywhere else.
I just want to know if we see another Black person shopping are we going to remind them its a "black out" day? lol

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:28pm
^^ It's very ehhh white out here . I honestly haven't heard of anything black owned out here besides a barber/hair salon and a few soul food restaurants. Just being honest. Do you know of any other black owned businesses I could patronize here?

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:34pm
Sept 8th. no problem.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:39pm
Thumbs Up I'm in

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:02pm
I'm in, my friend posted this on IG and of course some White people were offended, talking about how you can't fight racism with racism.

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:07pm
yup, I got some of those comments too

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:17pm

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:19pm
I wonder how many people are actually gonna do this though...

this has major major potential if a lot of people participated...
I will share this...

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:20pm

^^ It's very ehhh white out here . I honestly haven't heard of anything black owned out here besides a barber/hair salon and a few soul food restaurants. Just being honest. Do you know of any other black owned businesses I could patronize here?
yes well there is the black chamber https://phoenixblackchamber.com/ you can find a list of biz. here but you are right about staying home that day sometimes temptation would be to great- if everyone stayed home cities would shut down

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:23pm
Thumbs Up This will be a perfect opportunity to get black businesses more recognition as well.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:28pm
Needs more days.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:43pm
shared

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:55pm
the bureau of labor statistics does a monthly index report that can give us an idea of any changes in overall consumerism. i'll bookmark the page and post it in october. 

whether or not we make a dent in the numbers on our first shot, let's just consider this a test run for any future blackout plans and promise to spread the word and participate in good faith. Thumbs Up

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Needs more days.

Yes!!

And this should be on the black radio shows every 15 minutes to get higher participation.  Hopefully the black owned business associations will push this as well.

Somebody mentioned publishing some local lists of black businesses.  This is a good place to put it and then share on other websites we belong to.

and facebookDead

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 12:12am
brick by brick. one step at a time.

let's do this!

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 12:30am
I'm in Thumbs Up

Posted By: trudawg
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 12:56am

Another Phoenician? There are PLENTY of black businesses in the valley!

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 5:22am
It would be more effective if this happened on a Saturday. Many people would have turned up, shopped and left with very little funds right after pay day. 
Most sales and deals (in store and online) are offered
Fri - Sun anyway, so there's really no incentive to shop on a Monday unless you getting the basic necessities. 
Not trying to sound like a Debbie downer, but just being realistic. 

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 5:42am
I think it should be a solid week but ...some folk need baby steps when it comes to boycotting.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 5:51am
Usually I find these kinds of protests futile but in this case, I will happily participate! Show them the power of the black dollar.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:03am
I'll participate. And I'll tell as many ppl as I can.

I gave up my tropicana, simply lemonade/oj, swishers and some other Florida company last time around.

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:28am
Yay, excited and will participate!  I agree it should be more days but I get it; one step at a time.  I'll tell friends and family! Thumbs Up

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:29am
I got this Approve
Cooking my lunch that Sunday and bring my coffee from home
And I am gonna share this on my facebook

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

what do you mean by living in Phx? its the same as living anywhere else.
I just want to know if we see another Black person shopping are we going to remind them its a "black out" day? lol

if i make any purchases the weekend prior, i will make it a point to mention the black out day to every black person i come in contact with and hopefully they'll make it a point to get all their shopping done that sat. and sun.

i might print some flyers and pass them out hmmm...

and ita with blaque. doing this on a saturday rather than a monday would make the biggest impact but trying to get the masses on board might be tricky. maybe we can aim for that next time, followed by a full black out weekend.

Posted By: Longhairwanted8
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:14pm
I suggested September 11. It has double meaning

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:18pm
I am in but I think it should of been on a large shopping day and for atleast 2-3 days

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:37pm
@longhairwanted and mzsophisticated, i wish we could boycott the entire week including sept 11 but i think one day is a decent start and hopefully a motivator. we can build up from there.

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:46pm
im in..... cause im broke anywayzzzCool

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by HaitianLuv HaitianLuv wrote:

im in..... cause im broke anywayzzzCool

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:20pm
I just sent an email and text to all the people I know

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 7:41pm
I agree it should be more days.

I posted this on instagram and facebook last week...most are only on that ice challenge tho

Posted By: browneyez4548
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 9:45pm
I'm in.

Next time around (hoping VERY soon) we should specifically targeting Walmart. Last time I read up on it, they are still refusing to release the tape of the unarmed man that was shot there.

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 10:16pm
That ice challenge is cray. Nobody bet not call me out cause I ain't doing the sh*t. That said I have informed some FB peeps of the blackout.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 10:54pm
im down 

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by Meme0887 Meme0887 wrote:

I agree it should be more days.

I posted this on instagram and facebook last week...most are only on that ice challenge tho

thisSleepy

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 11:59pm
Be strong because when stores like Target, Sears and Walmart hear of this they'll be putting on the unbelievable sales.

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 12:38am
Sept. 8th is a Monday...

Eta: Im in.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 11:57am
I'm going to do this from England...

For british lukrers/members..... Walmart owns ASDA, Walgreens owns Boots....and ofc just avoid Maccy d's and kfc ect

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Aug 22 2014 at 8:54pm
I am in wish this was on the News....

Date Posted: Aug 23 2014 at 7:52am
^^^^^^Right? But we all know ain't no major news group gone help spread this.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Aug 23 2014 at 12:43pm
what do we have here? let me push this back up!

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:02pm
bump

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Aug 28 2014 at 5:11pm
Great idea. Doing this from Canada. Is this being pushed on Black Twitter?

Date Posted: Aug 29 2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Great idea. Doing this from Canada. Is this being pushed on Black Twitter?

Not on Twitter but I hope so!  Less than two weeks away.

Date Posted: Aug 30 2014 at 3:15pm

Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 8:30am
Bump!

September 8th is coming up! 

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 9:03am
Yup i will not forget! I will post this on facebook and twitter. and forward it to folks

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 11:01am
Im in!

Posted By: Lonisha87
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 11:12am
Its been forwarded. There are only a few black owned Businesses my area. One black owned bss I worked at snd a few restaurants.Oh and one hella overpriced boutique.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 12:33pm
I wish we did this for a whole week....

I wonder how hair vendors and BSS would get it together if black women did this for an entire month..'

and the real, i wish Mexicans would not to go work for a week....to show everyone how much we depend on their labor.

(sorry for the rant...but I was watching the Cesar Chavez movie over the weekend)

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 12:35pm
I'm just hearing about it. I think that it should be longer as well, and people should be reminded not to stock up over the weekend or the following days to compensate.

Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 1:07pm
Agreed Amilia. I might give a pass if it's gas and you can't find a black owned station or summin'.   but yeah...don't spend all your moneys with white owned establishments days before and days after. Thus leaving you no money to spend with black folks. The whole point is to spend those same moneys with black people not to not shop period on Sept 8th.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 1:13pm
Im here for this

I really hope it's successful

this needs a lot more exposure since this is the first Im hearing of it

Posted By: Soulful Beauty
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 2:26pm
I've been seeing this on FB. After sept 8, it's supposed to be every Friday after.

Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 3:14pm
so basically it's "black" Friday erry Friday? that could be interesting. It's one day out the week so even folks that only got white establishments in their neighborhood and online can participate.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Im_oh_so_hott Im_oh_so_hott wrote:

I'm in, my friend posted this on IG and of course some White people were offended, talking about how you can't fight racism with racism.

i dont see why not. Nothing else has worked.
shrug,

Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:06pm
Why is it always racism when we make it a point to support ours...just like errybody else is doing for theirs? I don't see white folks patronizing black businesses no where.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:44pm
yeah well when we have the govt at every level backing our bias

Then you can come and tell us about "using" racism

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:49pm
I'm down..I just hope I remember

Date Posted: Sep 06 2014 at 10:31am
bumpity bump.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 2:20am
I completely forgot about this - have not logged in in almost a week - so I did not post it up on my school. I am going to avoid shopping on Monday anyways.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 3:33am
lawd ....i do need to remember this coming monday cause it is my day off from work and i was gonna___________Embarrassed..hopefully my daughter is working and takes the car from 11- closing at her job...glad i did the major stuff today(saturday), nails done, more unnecessary spending $$$

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 7:10pm
no one has heard about this> ? pretty sad because its a good idea but needs more organization

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:31pm
I'm doing it. Some people don't understand the importance. I really wish there was more support.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:36pm
i wonder what the turn out will be...

a lot of people in my age group dont seem to care

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:38pm
yeah uhhhhh...about this whole boycott thing for tomorrow

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:38pm
I gotta get some sh*t from Wal-Mart and Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow.
Ooops.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:40pm
hitting up the black owned beautiful restaurant after depositing a check into the black owned citizen's trust bank tomorrow. don't care what anybody else does, tomorrow will be the start of me weaning myself off the system. 

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:50pm
i planned to go up to my college to do something tomorrow but i just remembered this. I'll save my visit for tuesday. We should do this the 8th of every month or for a week every few months. This needed more advertisement and planning. We need some well known people with huge followers to get the word out.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 8:51pm

who started this idea?

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 9:53pm
ready

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:08pm
On board Thumbs Up! However, I feel a little strange about what we did today. I mean we filled up our gas tanks and did our grocery shopping. This was what we were going to spend tomorrow anyways. Does spending the money the day before really "hit em where it hurts" tomorrow? Did we F it up Unhappy?????

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by StylingArabella StylingArabella wrote:

On board Thumbs Up! However, I feel a little strange about what we did today. I mean we filled up our gas tanks and did our grocery shopping. This was what we were going to spend tomorrow anyways. Does spending the money the day before really "hit em where it hurts" tomorrow? Did we F it up Unhappy?????
no. buy black tomorrow.

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:26pm
Glad I did most of my errands/ shopping today .. 9/8 spends no money ,no matter what I need!!!

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:37pm
this is my 1st time seeing this thread. and i came home with my tank on E. so ya'll already know what imma do first thing in the morning. Stern SmileStern SmileStern Smile

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:39pm
try to buy black tomorrow guys

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:48pm
Does buying black online count? My town is white washed as far as businesses go. 

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by K_Camille K_Camille wrote:

Does buying black online count? My town is white washed as far as businesses go. 
yes

Date Posted: Sep 07 2014 at 10:59pm
^^Ok, I'm still in.  

I agree that this needs more exposure and shouldn't be a one-time thing.  Maybe next time we can get the word out to more people.  

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 3:50am
today's the day

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 3:53am
Approve hope everyone stays focused.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 4:32am
i should have prepared a little better for this… 

good luck though guys. 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 8:13am
Forgot to bring lunch but there is a black owned food spot not to far from work.
Gonna see how long i can hold out.

I wish we owned more gas stations even though the gasoline itself is another story.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 8:17am
bought my own coffee and waffle ..my lunch ....and my snack from home.So I am good

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 8:23am
No black own business in my neighborhood

Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:50am
Originally posted by thickblkbarbie thickblkbarbie wrote:

No black own business in my neighborhood

You can buy online and/or make a donation.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:52am
oh ish i fugged up already, I bought gas this morning. 

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:55am
Was going to get lunch for the week from whole foods today but i'll just wait

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 9:56am
Are y'all avoiding business owned by the Brown and Yellow folks ?

Print Page | Close Window