Print Page | Close Window

Is taylor swift Perpetuating Black Stereotypes

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374060
Printed Date: Apr 19 2018 at 9:39am

Topic: Is taylor swift Perpetuating Black Stereotypes
Posted By: bunzaveli
Subject: Is taylor swift Perpetuating Black Stereotypes
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:07pm

Quote Earl Sweatshirt: Taylor Swift Is "Perpetuating Black Stereotypes" With Her New Video

Earl Sweatshirt: Taylor Swift Is "Perpetuating Black Stereotypes" With Her New Video

"haven't watched the taylor swift video and I don't need to watch it to tell you that it's inherently offensive and ultimately harmful"

By Evan Minsker
August 18, 2014 at 11:18 p.m. EDT
Tonight, Taylor Swift announced herupcoming album "1989" with a Mark Romanek-directed clip for her new single "Shake It Off". Among other things, the video features her singing and dancing alongside twerking women and breakdancers. Earl Sweatshirt jumped on Twitter to criticize Swift for her "inherently offensive and ultimately harmful video.

He wrote:

Here's that video:

is he reaching ?

Replies:
Posted By: Josephuss
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:12pm
black people perpetuate black stereotypes at the bidding of record labels. to her and director they could just be making what they perceive as a hiphop video.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:12pm
don't care for video but the song is ok.

(don't know much about TS and her music though)

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:15pm
She got no as$

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:41pm
Wow, that wasn't anything as bad as I thought it was gonna be--video-wise, but I don't care for the song itself

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by sexyandfamous sexyandfamous wrote:

She got no as$

None of those chicks have any ass. That Nicki Minaj Anaconda video has colored my perception.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:03pm
Tbh...I cant even work up a response after nickis video.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:03pm
I laughed hard when I scrolled down. That pic is worth 10,000 words.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:04pm
Don't think that had anything to do with blacks. She was making fun of all dance forms and videos. Hate the song, but I can't stand behind this uproar.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:20pm
Um shake it off by florence and the machines >>>>> whatever crap this was. But she wasn't portraying black stereotypes. She is literally just making fun of how she can't dance and has a lot of different types of dances in her video.

kinda surprised that earl cares since odd future has said many times they let their white friends say n* and they don't care about anything including racism and whatnot. He must be growing up.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:33pm
Worst song ever in life

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:43pm
I don't see it.

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

Um shake it off by florence and the machines >>>>> whatever crap this was. But she wasn't portraying black stereotypes. She is literally just making fun of how she can't dance and has a lot of different types of dances in her video.

kinda surprised that earl cares since odd future has said many times they let their white friends say n* and they don't care about anything including racism and whatnot. He must be growing up.

Basically. he's reaching.

but then again he didn't even watch the video. kinda makes him look stupid now.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:46pm

put it in some bars earl.  otherwise, no one cares about your commentary on social issues.Sleepy

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:57pm
how do you start off with i havent seen the video and then proceed to critique itErmm

im just gonna go'hed and blame bunz.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 8:24pm
good idea lol

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

how do you start off with i havent seen the video and then proceed to critique itErmm

im just gonna go'hed and blame bunz.

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 8:36pm
If anything she's perpetuating the stereotype that white girls can't dance, because Taylor can't dance.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 12:57am
I don't see the problem.  I watched the vid without sound.  The video involves alot of different forms of dance.  Not just the "black people" sh*t.   I actually laughed when she was crawling under the twerking girls.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 4:08am
gonna be the odd ball here...I love it...no problema with taylor swift here...she aight with me...Embarrassed

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:44am
I like the song, and she looked really cute in the vid.  Her shape is nice and fits her..everyone doesn't need a fat a$s.  *shrugs*

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 2:25pm
It's a reach

I am glad a black rhythmic gymnast/ballet person is portrayed in her vid though

Posted By: gabi03
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 6:21pm
I saw the screenshot, got curious, and actually found nothing wrong with the video. I kinda like the song and the video was cute. I mean guess she could have fit in a few black dancers in the other forms but I'm not tripping about it. Nicki's Minaj's video gives off a more negative stereotype/image of the black woman than this one does. Folks are really reaching with this one.

Print Page | Close Window