Print Page | Close Window

spending $100.00s at Goodwill and dollar

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=374058
Printed Date: Dec 15 2018 at 9:54am

Topic: spending $100.00s at Goodwill and dollar
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: spending $100.00s at Goodwill and dollar
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:17pm
store? wtf? why do people keep buying stuff they don't even use or need just because it cost so little~ its unbelievable*
then at the end of the month complain about how much money they don't have

Replies:
Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:21pm
Can't relate. I've spent $100+ at Good will and $100 at the ddollar store and use it all.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:23pm
the stuff at goodwill isnt even cheap.  i was their last month and looked around and was wondering why the hell were they charging so much for used goods. 

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:27pm
Shhhh yall goodwill dont have tag sales? Those be the best. 25-75% off depending on tag color. Its da best.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

the stuff at goodwill isnt even cheap.  i was their last month and looked around and was wondering why the hell were they charging so much for used goods. 
i know I seen a dress for 9.00? you can buy a new dress for the same amount at Ross, but the real issue is people who have closets full of stuff! and keep spending at these places and are still in debt and wonder how to get out?

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:34pm
My aunt found $160 dress for 99 cents at the goodwill. Still had the price tag on it. She keeps forgetting to tell me what day is 99 cent day.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Can't relate. I've spent $100+ at Good will and $100 at the ddollar store and use it all.
same.
Thrift shopping in general is something I spend a lot of money on.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:46pm
Do you go to the goodwill nature ? I can spend more in a hour . I stop donating due the price . Many people can't afford to purchase clothing and household items at retail . Why would you assume people are buying things for no reason ?

I notice seniors and people from all walks of life in the stores . I find beautiful artwork , books, albums etc .I work hard for my money . No one can tell me how to spend my money . Never make assumption regarding people buying habits . God bless you to have nice things.

Children need clothing . My daughter grew out of most of her outfits over the summer . I spent a small fortune to replace . I love to shop at Garage sales . Do I need all of the items ? No , but it makes me happy on the worse days . I give back half of what I purchase to families in need . Now get out of my Purse unless you want to donate to my addiction pleasures lol. I never notice anyone claim millionaire status on BHM . We all work hard to maintain . I could loose everything and need the Goodwill . I know many College Ladies and men that shop at all thrift stores . Rich people buy designer goods and never wear . Why would anyone pay pass that up ? I Purchase a new pair of LV boots for 50 bucks . Yes they are real .    JMO

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 1:59pm
yes I've shopped at the Goodwill, but this is not about saving its about consumption...
Goodwill, Swap marts, Garage sales, Walmart, dollar stores,
= overstuffed closets, no attic space, storage Clutter and empty pockets
maybe this is not the case for all people but for many broke people I know they spend money on what seems inexpensive just so they can justify buying it.. things that don't add value to their lives or help them in anyway

this is happening at all levels I guess like a person who keeps buying new things at the mall and puts them in the closet because she has No place to wear them I just choose to speak about the Goodwill because so many people think its harmless

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 2:09pm
I could spend $100 at the dollar store on things I actually use......like bath soap, tooth paste, toilet papers.....

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 2:30pm
I tune out the people that are always crying broke & I keep it moving.
I can't be bothered to worry about other peoples finances Ermm

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 2:38pm
which reminds me i need to go to the good will. i need a chair for my deskBig smile

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 2:53pm
who knows why people do the things that they do. unless they are coming to me asking for money, i really can't be bothered with what people do with their money. i just spent over $500 at a boutique pretty much knowing i aint going to wear half the shyt i just bought. i have a closet full on clothes, lingerie, and shoes that have never been worn. *shrugs* many people don't get it but it makes me happy. i also give a lot of stuff away too. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

same.
Thrift shopping in general is something I spend a lot of money on.
I wish I found out about it sooner!

Love getting dresses for going out for under $10 and then exchanging it the next time I want a different dress. I only wear a lot of party dresses once so it is very convenient.Embarrassed

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

I could spend $100 at the dollar store on things I actually use......like bath soap, tooth paste, toilet papers.....
I can't buy that cheap toilet paper.  It's gone in about a day, especially if both us females have our cycles at the same time.Embarrassed

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 3:34pm
I find and purchase many items at the dollar store.  Even Reynolds wrap aluminum foil.  Oh and I can't forget my fabuloso and svelte fabric softener (blue bottle).  I've even bought some nice wine and margarita glasses from there.  Hmphf, don't sleep on the dollar store.

Posted By: MissDarkEyes
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:53pm
Americans are horders!  I pretty much stopped shopping at goodwill when I was seeing more crap from Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe.  There was a time your could snag so really nice vintage pieces but I guess everyone started getting hip to the game and decided to sell all that stuff on eBay.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:57pm
Why wouldnt u see F21 etc tho?..lol Fashion trends and brands change.Thats why you get good with the crew and tell you the day they put out new shipments. Some ppl use that info and resale the clothes on ebay.

Imma go this wknd just because if this thread

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by MissDarkEyes MissDarkEyes wrote:

Americans are horders!  I pretty much stopped shopping at goodwill when I was seeing more crap from Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe.  There was a time your could snag so really nice vintage pieces but I guess everyone started getting hip to the game and decided to sell all that stuff on eBay.

Have u been to the ones in the rich, white suburbs? Like Evanston had really nice stuff. They end up giving never opened Chanel stuff to the maids. My great granny was a maid to a Jewish couple in Evanston.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:44pm
Am I trippin?

I thought we had this thread with like the exact title..

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by creole booty creole booty wrote:

Have u been to the ones in the rich, white suburbs? Like Evanston had really nice stuff. They end up giving never opened Chanel stuff to the maids. My great granny was a maid to a Jewish couple in Evanston.
yup! There is one in DC that I can find many many high end peices for $5. You have to know where to look.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:51pm
LOLok I checked, it was your thread in the past with a similar title, OP.

Nature, you got some anger towards thrift store shoppers? What happened in your childhood?

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:51pm
my fav thrift store is having a 50% off sale on labor day. nothing there is over $5. and it's three stories. i'm so excited.

but yeah idc what people do with their money. i plan on buying a sh*t load of stuff that monday.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:52pm
This thread just inspired me to go thrift store shopping tomorrow. LOL

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 5:59pm
Heck $20 here and there is not gonna break me.  I just got some Gucci Newton booties in my local thrift store for like $2.

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 6:32pm
$2 tho....

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 6:33pm
everyone overindulges in at least one thing at some point in their lives whether shopping, food, wine, 'the d'...who am i to judge? right or wrong, it all gives the same endorphin surge that people need to make it through a day in this stressful world.

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 6:36pm
I love thrift shopping. Especially at Platos Closet

Their normal prices are ridiculous so its only worth it to go there on a sale

All summer Ive been getting really nice tops and shirts for only $1-$2 each  Big smile

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Am I trippin?

multiple times, i still dont know what you all are buying inside the thrift store that cost 100 dollars.

me personally i have horrible memories of the thrift store, and dont plan on ever going back

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 6:56pm
Can we start a thread of your goodwill/thrift finds pls. I love goodwill. 

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Can we start a thread of your goodwill/thrift finds pls. I love goodwill. 

Yas, do it!

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

i have horrible memories of the thrift store, and dont plan on ever going back

CryLOL I felt the same way for yeaaarrrrrss after having to look for my 5th grade graduation outfit at this smelly one.

Buttt now I go all the time to find things to resell. Not necessarily clothes.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 8:22pm
lol, I hope you are not getting flashbacks

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Am I trippin?

You are most likely right and I think I started it guess I am still bothered by this whole idea

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 8:29pm

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:32pm
this goodwill thread was good. maybe people can post there finds here:
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/topic314860_post10985364.html#10985364" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/topic314860_post10985364.html#10985364

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:39pm
Well I recently started a financial literacy series in one of my social groups- and one of {the guest speakers talked about the spending habits of the poor- } One of the habits that stood out for me was as being true I see people line up at the Goodwill on sale day...

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:46pm
lol. "I used to have money, but I lost it all shopping at goodwill"

I promise you that sentence has never been spoken. No one is poor because of a thrift store. That's a silly assertion to me.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:51pm
So where are poor ppl suppose to shop?

buying stuff you don't need I am sure does not make you rich-

So you assume that everyone you see in that good will line doesn't need it?
Also, why is this limited to goodwill?

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

buying stuff you don't need I am sure does not make you rich-
Being rich financially isn't everyone's life goal. 
The word rich is very subjective.
Just curious, are you "rich"?

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 9:59pm
OP your judging side eye is activated strong girl. why does it bother you so?

idc what the data may show, we all buy things we don't need. outside of basic living necessities, all of our homes are filled with pointless things. doesn't matter what your annual salary is looking life.

i would even make the assumption that the richer you are, the MORE you spend on things you don't really need.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:04pm
NO I am not rich I am poor, but I am not invested in poverty... I plan to have more than enough for the life I want to lead and it does not include spending every dollar on items of little or no value to me... this thread is not to offend anyone it's just another opportunity to reflect on ourselves

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:16pm
BTW who does not want to be RICH! I don't know anyone who would not like to be rich-
But alas most people don't think they deserve it or something?

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:41pm
Most folks I know that shop at Goodwill are usually Raw Vegans and "organic" type folks that are all about recycle/reuse or some that shop for "vintage" items to resell on Ebay or summin'.  I've seen folks drop hundreds on things from specific name brand clothing to furniture pieces.  Just because u spend $100 doesn't necessarily mean you're buying a bunch of nothing.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 10:46pm
Ill shop anywhere I can save some money. I dont worry about how people spend their hard earned cash.

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:30pm
why do some of you keep saying you don't care how others spend their money where is your "cooperative economics", we need to take a step back and look at our spending habits as a community, we have to start building wealth at some point

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 11:41pm
Judging the people in the line outside of goodwill as you drive by is not the best way to practice cooperative economics. lol  Many thrift stores are non-profit anyways.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 4:15am
Macklemore's   LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Impact thrift shop here and 99 cent days are a killer for me and my momz,,,

Posted By: MissDarkEyes
Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:21am

The only one I went to was that "religious" consighnment shop on Dempster & Church...I didn't see no Chanel!  LOL  Mostly American Eagle, Old Navy.  Maybe I need to go deeper in to Evanston for the good stuff!  Or better yet, Wilmette!

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:26am
All 11 pairs of true religion jeans were purchased at good will for $7 each. Some had new tags. I have boys and the knees of their jeans are always non existent. I buy the jeans for $0.50. If I'm not thrift in then I'm buying clothes off season.

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 8:31am
I bought a Fendi clutch for $10 and it was authentic. I was followed around the store buy other shoppers hoping I Would put the bag down. Nopeeeee they failed that day.

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

$2 tho....Thumbs Up niiiice!

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

All 11 pairs of true religion jeans were purchased at good will for $7 each. Some had new tags. I have boys and the knees of their jeans are always non existent. I buy the jeans for $0.50. If I'm not thrift in then I'm buying clothes off season.
LOL Yep, me too!

Date Posted: Aug 21 2014 at 12:38pm

The only one I went to was that "religious" consighnment shop on Dempster & Church...I didn't see no Chanel!  LOL  Mostly American Eagle, Old Navy.  Maybe I need to go deeper in to Evanston for the good stuff!  Or better yet, Wilmette!

My granny used to hit the whole north suburbs. I was young back then and she's dead now so I can't even say exactly where. Next time I'm in Chicago I'll hit wilmette and Hoffman estates or something. That's a good idea.

Print Page | Close Window