Print Page | Close Window

So..being a dog owner

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=373924
Printed Date: Dec 16 2017 at 12:23am

Topic: So..being a dog owner
Posted By: Random Thoughts
Subject: So..being a dog owner
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 5:54pm
I'm being begged by my s.o to take one of the puppies our mutual friend's dog just had. I know next to nothing about being a pet owner, aside from the time when I had a fish as a kid. Before I take on the responsibility, anybody have any tips or things I should be primed on? Health Insurance, going to the vet, dogfood, and other things I might not be aware of?

So yeah, dog owning for dummies. Help?

Replies:
Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 5:55pm
You and I are in the same shoes. My hubby says we are getting a dog for the boys next week. I tried to change their mind and got them a rabbit. The poor rabbit stays in the cage in the garage. They feed it and change the cage every friday but the guys out number the WOMAN of the house. I just fear the day I wake up for water or chicken in the middle of the night and step in poop with my bare feet.Dead

I will bleach that foot until its lightskinned.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 5:59pm
not everyone is built for that life, you're setting yourself up for 8+ years of picking up dog sh*t 1 to 2 times a day

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 5:59pm
They have pet health insurance? Get it!!

My friend just paid an ass amount of money for her rescue dog. The dog contracted some near fatal virus and had to get a hysterectomy and was at the vet for over a week. That on top of the visits when they were trying to figure out what was wrong plus meds cost them 1,000+

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:02pm
pets are like kids that never grow up.

proceed with caution. LOL

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:04pm
we got cats out of the blue, in a do or die for week old kittens kind of scenerio

I was disgusted at the thought of cats in the house, worried about hair, smells and the litter

But it's been easy breeze and even my grandmother loves them and she's an almost 90 year old caribbean lady (typically very anti animal)

Dogs are more loving and more easily trained so I imagine that the pros will outrun the cons

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:05pm
yeah I agree about dogs giving more, but they also require more (I think)

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:06pm
can't you train a dog to use wee wee pads? 

I saw a vid about dogs trained to pray before meals so I figure they learn anything lol

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:09pm
Dogs are great! So loving and they get excited everytime you walk in the door. I got my dog a couple years ago as a surprise I never had a pet before so im no expert but...

definitely keep his shots up to date

give him a preventative flea and tick medication every month (I use trifexis)

go to a groomer that is small (my dog hated going to pet smart they keep them crated for hours)

Potty training can be a pain but if you keep them in a crate you won't have to worry about an accident in the house

go to the pet store the employees there usually have great tips...also ask the vet they are the ultimate expert

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:12pm
what are you getting, Random?

I'[m fond of German Shepherds

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:13pm
dont be a nigguh random, dont get a pitbull

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:14pm
And be prepared to have a tail, dogs follow you around 100% of the time especially when they are puppies...they're always there!!!!! But you get used to it

don't let them sleep in the bed, once they start its a PAIN to break the habit

pet stores usually have training sessions on the weekend so go to them

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:17pm
Excuse my dirty ass table.

Click for a larger view

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:18pm
Aw hi puppy

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:19pm
awwwwweeee it's so cute

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:24pm
1. Research the breed if you have children or plan to .
2. Dogs are like children . You need to spend time and money .
3. Avoid long hair dogs unless you are ok with costly grooming .
4. Train your puppy from day one to go outside and do his business .
5. Never allow your pet to sleep with you . The dog will never stop .
6. Feed your dog quality food to keep the pet Healthy . Corn based foods will cause the dog to shed like crazy .

7.Make sure to expose your pet to adults and children .
8.You and your girl need to be on the same page with discipline .
9.Puppies will follow you you the door . Make sure you have a house or proper cage during the first weeks .

10. Check your local city website . Many require a permit.
11. Make sure you are ready . Your lady will fall in love with the dog and if you change your mind she will leave you lol .

I own 3 dogs . Not by choice . I own a dog at 5 . A dog will love you hard if your treat it right . Ask for the parents records . Watch Dog Whispers and purchase the book .

PS . Ask for any shot records are pay for first on the day you pick up the puppy . Never allow the puppy on grass for the first weeks . Fleas will have a party . Google the breed and place on the national kennel site . I could go on lol . HTH

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:30pm
cutie. What you gonna name her/him?

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:31pm
that cute little tail!

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:33pm
Beautiful dog . I own 3 Schezus . Unless you are ok with the dog jumping on the table to eat out of your plate , Please feed and train away from the kitchen . I can stand a dog in my kitchen lol.

PS . The dog may get fleas no matter how careful you are . Save your money . Dawn regular will kill the fleas without harm to the dog .

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:35pm
- if you don't like pet hair, learn to love it.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:37pm
it's cute
dogs are cute but dogs are expensive and i dont want to get emotionally invested 
and like Purp said, they're like kids 
please dont start calling yourself a Pet Parent.....

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 6:50pm
Wait . How old is the puppy ? You need to wait at least 6 to 8 weeks to wean off the mother . You can buy the high price milk at Petco or dilute 2 % with water . After a few weeks you can slowly mix dog food with the warm milk . Make sure you stick with the same food to avoid cramps and messy messy all over your home . Make sure you get a girl dog fix . Menstrual are like we woman go through but worse in a dog .

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I'm being begged by my s.o to take one of the puppies our mutual friend's dog just had. I know next to nothing about being a pet owner, aside from the time when I had a fish as a kid. Before I take on the responsibility, anybody have any tips or things I should be primed on? Health Insurance, going to the vet, dogfood, and other things I might not be aware of?

So yeah, dog owning for dummies. Help?

This will be long Stern Smile

Health insurance: dont get the PetSmart plans, they are full of sh*t and its not insurance, just good for vaccinations and office visits, but if your dog has an emergency, you pay the expenses. I cant wait for my plan to expire. If you dont mind the long wait take him to the Humane Society clinic for vaccinations when he/she reaches the starting age.

Vet: Shop around. Make sure they actually like dogs. The first one i went to was such a grouch i wondered who condemned her to that career.

Dogfood: Some breeds are more sensitive than others. If you decide to change the brand, introduce it very slowly, mix it with the old one over time. Dont buy any dogfood that has lots of grain or has corn in the first few ingredient list. Its a cheap filler which is found in many terrible dogfoods. Do NOT buy any dog treats made in China, there have been many recalls with lots of them having melamine and other plastics, which have killed many dogs.

Training: it will be a nightmare since its a puppy. You will need to buy a crate and diaper pads for potty training. Look up youtube videos and http://www.dogforum.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.dogforum.com/ for advice on pup training. Buy Natures Miracle Stain and Odor remover, its the best enzymatic cleaner for pet odors and stains, the rest dont work, especially if you have carpet.

Dogs are needy, therefore high maintenance compared to cats. They are expensive, need to be groomed, and need lots of outdoor exercise everyday. You will need to take him/her out to potty every morning, so if you are not a morning person, it will be hard at first for you. Beyond the cuteness, they are a huge responsibility which if you are not ready for dont start; my dog was a rescue, likely abandoned after the novelty wore off, he was in a pretty bad shape when i found him.

But with all that said, i love my dog to death, he's fccing awesome Cool

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 8:13pm
i'm jealous

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 8:35pm
Oh my gosh, it's so cute!  Damn at that list of responsibilities everyone gave..Lort.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 9:32pm
i would help you but all i do is give money to my mom and grandma to take care of my maltese. i know she takes him to the vet for his shots, buys him food (he's very picky about what he eats so it has to be gourmet dog food), take him to his grooming appointments, buy stuff to keep his teeth clean because maltese are prone to dental issues, and other stuff. i just enjoy the fun stuff. having a dog is like having a baby and i aint got time for all that. but i probably spend about $250-$300 on him monthly which is just usually for his food, grooming, teeth cleaning, and other misc things. we take really good care of him so he's never had any major health issues. i love buying him new toys and other random things. he's my baby. 

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 10:02pm
smaison, I just love your posts! lol

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

it's cute
dogs are cute but dogs are expensive and i dont want to get emotionally invested 
Yep. They train you to let them eat when you eat, their favorite foods, when they like to go out, types of toys & bedding...they are very worth it if you have the time and patience.

The puppy is so cute! You know you want it RT.Big smile

Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 10:44pm
yeah he knows he wants it.

Random, the rule is  after you post its the pix on the internet, it's yours lol.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 11:19pm
RT acting like he isn't gonna love & treat that dog like Taye Digg's character in Ba ge Claim.LOL

Keep the puppy RT!

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 11:36pm

<--My new baby puppy.

I joined a forum for my puppies breed, and just read everything.
I've had dogs for years but that forum taught me so much more than I'd known.

Good luck with your new puppy.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Aug 12 2014 at 11:39pm
all I know is I see a lot of people who have Dogs abuse them-
leaving them alone for hours on end
locking them in the back yard because they don't want to deal with them
locking them in cages all day
feeding them unhealthy nasty food!( causing dog cancer and dog*sugar)
and not letting them have any Dog friends or socialization

Date Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

smaison, I just love your posts! lol

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

can't you train a dog to use wee wee pads

I saw a vid about dogs trained to pray before meals so I figure they learn anything lol

Yep, I didnt even know this until I saw my friend throwing one in the trash. Shocked me. She said her dogs are in the house for 10 hours a day and she doesn't think they would be able to hold it that long.

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

all I know is I see a lot of people who have Dogs abuse them-
leaving them alone for hours on end
locking them in the back yard because they don't want to deal with them
locking them in cages all day
feeding them unhealthy nasty food!( causing dog cancer and dog*sugar)
and not letting them have any Dog friends or socialization

Lol not everyone needs a damn dog.

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 8:45pm

I just said the exact same thing to someone yesterday. I've had mine for less than 2 years. I love the heck out of him. But how I gotta figure out what to do with him when I travel cus he's not small and portable. If I never got him, I may not have done so knowing what I know now. But I can't give him up. I love my dog. Embarrassed

You lied Bunz. You clean sh*t when they're real young. The sh*t part made me have instant regrets within hours to days. But he was good after a few weeks. After about 6 months, they don't need constant monitoring and can be left alone for hours with no issues. 

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 9:46pm
Prepare to be loved, adored & loved some more LOL
The unconditional love you get from a dog is almost comparable to the love from a mother IMO.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 12:16am
i knew it howard!

RT, you mean the dog is already at your house?! That puppy is yours LOL

Adorable wittle puppy!

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 11:39am
Also, you need to consider restrictions you will have for extended time away from home.  Such as vacays.  Like who are you going to leave your dog with while you're away from home.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 1:04pm
^^^ very true!  Dogs are just like children.  They need to be bathed, fed, walked 3 or more times if puppy, potty trained, held, cuddled, kissed, loved.  But there is nothing in the world like a dog...the most loyal pet that will give you unconditional love on the planet.  JMO!

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

You lied Bunz. You clean sh*t when they're real young. The sh*t part made me have instant regrets within hours to days. But he was good after a few weeks. After about 6 months, they don't need constant monitoring and can be left alone for hours with no issues. 

lol im guessing you one of those people who dont pick up there dogs sh*t after it does it thing when you're walking it.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 4:03pm
Good luck with your doggie, RT. Now go ahead and marry that girl so that you can give that dog a stable home.

My friend wanted to give me this dog for my bday, but #1 no dogs are allowed where i live #2 i dont have anyone to watch my dog or to take it out when im away from home unexpectedly #3 winters are brutal here and there is no way that im taking a dog out during a blizzard

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 4:41pm
Awwww he's cute. Could use a haircut/grooming but he/she is adorable.  Maaaaaan stop making excuses.  Just put a coat and some boots on that dog and walk em. Wink

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 5:03pm
consider this a trial run for the kids

you got hemmed up bruh!!

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 5:16pm
14 years later and we're still running our trial LOL
Not sure yet.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 5:16pm
has Random been back to thread or is he too busy playing dog daddy? lol

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 5:22pm
My mother thought her dog could Catch HIV . The sweet lady refuse to allow any dog near Tonto . My dad use to say " You are going to turn that dog gay ". True story .   

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 5:42pm
some big azz burly azz bytch azz mother phucking dog devoured my little baby today. I was on vacay when my mom called to tell me. I am so piss I wanna go and blow that dog's head off. I'm home now. My baby is at the vet and will be undergoing surgery tomorrow. He's currently on oxygen and pain meds. It's costing a couple thousand dollars. Send some positive energy towards my baby please.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

some big azz burly azz bytch azz mother phucking dog devoured my little baby today. I was on vacay when my mom called to tell me. I am so piss I wanna go and blow that dog's head off. I'm home now. My baby is at the vet and will be undergoing surgery tomorrow. He's currently on oxygen and pain meds. It's costing a couple thousand dollars. Send some positive energy towards my baby please.
OMG!!! I'm sorry Smaison.......I hope all goes well!Hug

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 8:50pm

Cry Small dogs are resilient little creatures. Your baby will pull throughHugHugHug

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 8:55pm
We need a "Post your Pet" thread.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

We need a "Post your Pet" thread.
Thumbs Up

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:18pm

Word right outta my mouthLOL

OT: My mom is buying my cat a kitten or puppy......cause he lonely......LOL

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:21pm

oh no Hug
I know he will get the best treatment and be pampered thru the healing.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

LOL

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

it's cute

so MOMMIE is ok? LOL

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:23pm

sweet Jesus Cry

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:26pm

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

LOL

Levels to this cat lady shyt......levels.....LOLLOLLOLLOLCryCryCryCry.......

Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 9:29pm
The Pet Supermarket people are always tryna get me to adopt those cats/kittens. 
Adopt one & get one free.
That cat thread is wearing me down but my dog is not having it LOL

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Aug 14 2014 at 10:38pm

I hope things go well!!! Cry

Date Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 7:03am
Originally posted by kerysdream7 kerysdream7 wrote:

Cry Small dogs are resilient little creatures. Your baby will pull throughHugHugHug

They really are but my mini one thinks he's a Rottie!  If someone knocks on the door you would think I had a BIG dog until he comes running or tripping down the stairs.LOL

Date Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 9:42am
Thanks everyone, my baby is having surgery today and the vet said he did well last night so the surgery should go smoothly. I miss him so much, he looks so sad. Can't wait to spoil him when he gets out.

Print Page | Close Window