Print Page | Close Window

Aaliyah Movie Gets New Lead

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372399
Printed Date: Sep 15 2019 at 3:07pm

Topic: Aaliyah Movie Gets New Lead
Posted By: indiecat
Subject: Aaliyah Movie Gets New Lead
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:07pm
http://time.com/3005807/aaliyah-biopic-alexandra-shipp/

riskthefall
1:06 pm - 07/18/2014
Alexandra Shipp Replaces Zendaya, Will Play Aaliyah in Lifetime Biopic
23 year-old actress Alexandra Shipp will play the slain R&B singer in the Lifetime biopic due out later this year.

"Shipp is set to play the R&B legend Aaliyah in an upcoming Lifetime biopic scheduled to premiere this fall, according to talk show host Wendy Williams, who is an executive producer on the project. Shipp takes on the role after Disney Channel star Zendaya Coleman opted out in June."

Shipp is best known for her role as KT Rush on the Nickelodeon show “House of Anubis.” She has also appeared on “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel,” "Days of Our Lives", “Switched at Birth”, “Victorious”, and "Awkward". Currently, she can be seen in season 2 of Showtime's "Ray Donovan".

"The film, Aaliyah: Princess of R&B, will portray the life of the beloved singer who’s music topped the pop charts from 1994 until her untimely death in a 2001 plane crash at 22. The TV movie will be based on the biography, Aaliyah: More Than a Woman, by former TIME editor Christopher John Farley."

Wendy Williams (executive producer) confirmed the news first:

Article from The Wrap:

When TheWrap spoke to Jomo Hankerson, Aaliyah's cousin and president of her label Blackground Records, he said that the family was ready to withhold whatever rights it holds regarding Aaliyah from the production.

“Because we control the masters [to Aaliyah's recordings], the rights and some images of the musical elements that we put together like the videos, and photo shoots and things that we did, what we can do is just withhold those elements from the production, which we would do,” Hankerson said.

That would make it difficult for the production, but not impossible to gain usage rights to Aaliyah's songs. Blackground Records owns the recordings of Aaliyah's voice, but not the publishing rights. So, Lifetime can purchase rights to re-record the singles from the songwriters, which include Timbaland, Missy Elliott and the late Static Major.

The film will be produced by Aaliyah Productions, Inc., with Howard Braunstein (“The Informant!”) and Debra Martin Chase (“Sparkle”) executive producing. Bradley Walsh (“Turn the Beat Around”) is directing, working from a script by Michael Elliot (“Brown Sugar”).

Replies:
Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:10pm
I'll watch...only so I'm up to date on my pop culture not because I'm interested

Wendy does not need to be producing this but whatev

Posted By: CaramelRose
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:18pm
They should have picked this girl.Her name is Lolita Price and she's a Youtube personality.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:22pm
^^errr...did she audition?LOL cause her looks are spot on

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:23pm
Better pick than the other chick

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

From what she said on Youtube,the only way she'd do an Aaliyah movie was if it was to go to the theaters.

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:36pm

Lolita Price on the left and Aaliyah on the right.I swear they look alike.

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:42pm

Originally posted by CaramelRose CaramelRose wrote:

From what she said on Youtube,the only way she'd do an Aaliyah movie was if it was to go to the theaters.

they really do look alot alike

Ok, this is just spooky...

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:42pm
Hmmm another mixed girl kinda wondering why zendaya got so much hate.

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:43pm

I agree

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 5:44pm

they really do look alot alike

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 6:01pm
Lolita price really should go ahead and play Aaliyah.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 6:04pm
Why produce a movie that the family doesn't want? That's just disrespectful in my opinion.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 6:11pm
Looks are not enough though. They could have found Aaliyah's long lost twin but if she can't act, it's back to square one..

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 6:44pm

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 6:57pm
Yes, I agree with JP; this Lolita Price looks a lot like Aaliyah but can she act? And who she thinks she is to say "i will only play Aaaliyah in a movie if it goes to the theaters"? have a seat girl.

The girl they picked now looks a lot like Aaliyah too, not as much as Lolita Price, but she is a better pick than Zendaya.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Looks are not enough though. They could have found Aaliyah's long lost twin but if she can't act, it's back to square one..

Right...looks are not the most important thing.  They can do enough of that in hair and make up.  How the hell a random yt personality is in a position to put her nose up at lifetime is beyond me.

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 7:28pm
Good

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

Sheesh just throw in the towel already. Let's be real there's not much to tell and unless they keep it real w/the R. Kelly stuff this is a waste of time.

on Wendy's show she said she would focus on that because thats what ppl really want to know about.

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 7:51pm

There's a strong resemblance, yeah...

Posted By: lovelove
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:12pm
I'm sorry but I don't understand the purpose of this switch.LOL 

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:17pm
yea… i just googled her and she looks more mixed than zendaya… 

zendaya quit though.. but still.. this new girl should get some backlash too. 

too lazy to paste pics 

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:25pm
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=jR_JHvkHwr9-uM&tbnid=DVW2VxxaR3XhLM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Fname%2Fnm3381295%2F&ei=xtbJU6uDDNC8oQSntoKIBg&bvm=bv.71198958,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNG9CpqhCB0u2ARaEQQOiH4TEDaE7w&ust=1405822558178399" rel="nofollow"> http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Alexandra+Shipp/Celebs+Film+TV+Awards+London/nkRF8F0Kdqb" rel="nofollow"> http://www.listal.com/viewimage/5882011" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:27pm
lol i bet teyana taylor is mad. 

but obviously they were going for a specific 'look' 

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:35pm
As some BHM member already mentioned, this is going to be like Flex Alexander playing Michael Jackson.

People need to stop with these biopics.

I heard that Andre 3000's Hendrix movie isn't allowed to use his music. There is a James Brown biopic coming out in August, Don Cheadle was cast as Miles Davis, and Zoe Saldana did that ratchet Nina Simone Biopic.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 9:40pm
Great now can they start filming.
I don't know why Wendy Williams is involved in this movie.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:19pm
heauxz aint neva happy Ermm

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 12:04am
Yt people really think they famous and shyt...chile boo

Talking bout what movie she would do. bish aint nobody asked your ass. Give people a Iphone with a camera and they think they Spike lee of youtubedom.

I cant

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 12:28am
Dead

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 12:30am
This is the lil girl from Everybody Hates Chris (I don't if this is in reference to this role but i'll post it anyways)

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:31am
Wendy williams doesn't understand the principle of it....Aaliyah may have been light skin but she was 75% black with indian blood....she was fully a person of colour... why get someone with white blood? Would it be right if zendaya played mariah carey?

Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:43am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

She can Smile

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

This is the lil girl from Everybody Hates Chris (I don't if this is in reference to this role but i'll post it anyways)

awww i loved her on Everybody Hates Chris

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 1:31pm
Can Lolita dance?
She would have been a great match.

Singing does not really matter b/c Aaliyah (RIP) could not sing either.

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 1:47pm
what is the point of that o braggin on her white mama?

Posted By: TeeTee1984
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:07pm
she's not bragging, she's making a point... like "oh well"

she knows the ugliness thats coming her way from the critics for being mixed and playing Aaliyah.

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:09pm
id like to say wendy williams should be ashamed.. 
i didnt know she had her foot in the production or whatever.. 

but i mean… she has had everything done to try to look 'different' 

so i guess its not that surprising. 

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:20pm
That girl Alexandra's face shape is all wrong ...she better be able to act her ass off

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:23pm
and dance.. 

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 2:24pm
I at least feel like Wendy wouldn't cast someone who can't act and dance...she was huge on the radio during that time so I know she's gonna be as accurate as possible.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jul 20 2014 at 4:26am
it's disrespectful to both aaliyah and her fam having someone who doesn't reflect her ethnicity play her. 

The girl looks like the type to choose black when its convenient. 

Posted By: atexaschick
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 1:59pm
A second Aaliyah movie is being made that is suppose to go to theaters.

http://s2smagazine.com/2014/07/30/b-simone-to-star-in-aaliyah-feature-film/" rel="nofollow - http://s2smagazine.com/2014/07/30/b-simone-to-star-in-aaliyah-feature-film/

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

Confused Ok so they found a look alike. Great...it's not gonna make her life more interesting. I'm still confused what the hell this movie could even be about inbetween R. Kelly & the plane crash. Dance clips? 

I've heard she was like Rihanna of the 90's

Posted By: crzyabthair
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by purple.chuckz purple.chuckz wrote:

As some BHM member already mentioned, this is going to be like Flex Alexander playing Michael Jackson.<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">

I heard that Andre 3000's Hendrix movie isn't allowed to use his music. There is a James Brown biopic coming out in August, Don Cheadle was cast as Miles Davis, and Zoe Saldana did that ratchet Nina Simone Biopic.

Who in the actual fuk told him this was a good idea? (Flex)

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by SimplyPut SimplyPut wrote:

Why produce a movie that the family doesn't want? That's just disrespectful in my opinion.

Lamp

it makes you wonder how certain events will be portrayed...

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by SimplyPut SimplyPut wrote:

Lamp

it makes you wonder how certain events will be portrayed...

Im guessin the fam doesn't want more details about her relationship with producers,rappers and rkel to come to light.

With Wendy being on it I feel like it will be messy...

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 4:17pm
a good 2pac movie > a good aaliyah movie, his whole life story is wow.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 4:21pm
gkisses i'm sure.  perhaps, they are also worried about how they themselves factored into alladat and how it will be portrayed as well...but that's none of my bizness... 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

a good 2pac movie > a good aaliyah movie, his whole life story is wow.

Ya id agree theater worthy vs. Vh1

Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 5:31pm
I think I was 10 when Aaliyah died if my math is correct and a die hard nsync fan so I aint listen to r &b buttttt I dont think Aaliyah needs a movie at all and if it was in theaters it would place like 5th 

rip though you had some great songs boo 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 5:32pm
yea I would go to the theater to see a tupac movie though 

Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

gkisses i'm sure.  perhaps, they are also worried about how they themselves factored into alladat and how it will be portrayed as well...but that's none of my bizness... 

Ya they never really addressed it, but i feel like they knew of their relationship.

Posted By: atexaschick
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 5:44pm
The girl they chose to play in the new movie is from Dallas. I'm shocked they picked her to star in a major role when she hasn't had any serious acting gigs before.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by purple.chuckz purple.chuckz wrote:

As some BHM member already mentioned, this is going to be like Flex Alexander playing Michael Jackson.

DeadCry

Print Page | Close Window