Print Page | Close Window

Yay or Nay to this idea for applying extensions?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372193
Printed Date: Aug 19 2018 at 8:07pm

Topic: Yay or Nay to this idea for applying extensions?
Posted By: rohan
Subject: Yay or Nay to this idea for applying extensions?
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:07am
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1189742948/hookie-do-hook-your-hair-extensions-in-minutes-not?ref=discovery" rel="nofollow - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1189742948/hookie-do-hook-your-hair-extensions-in-minutes-not?ref=discovery

Replies:
Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:14am
interesting. It seems like it would be a little bulky. Also, I'd be afraid of a weft coming off with a slight tug.
It wouldn't appeal to me though because I don't really need to change my hair that often. I hope she succeeds though.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:18am
naw...I want to be able to get to my scalp
Thinking about when u flexrod and the go to bed.....the compression of the rods and hooks..not good

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:19am
i like the concept. i can already think of a few improvements to the design. personally, i think her price point is a lil high which is a ripe situation for copy catters...

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:26am
isnt this just a wig then???

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:30am
i dont know wtf im looking at, but props on a black woman making 7k, and 10k from starting up her business dream

horrible name though, sounds like caca

Posted By: babelipsss
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:34am
Nay.  Looks bulky and hot.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:35am
the hooks are to hook the extensions SL

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:40am
Nayyyyyyyyyy for 89.99 why not just get a wig? $89.99 plus a couple hundred for the tracks naw...she needs to drop the price

**I would get the knock off from aliexpress for $29.99 though

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:44am
bunzy i too hate the name...

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

so the clips at the top are the main thing that keep the wig on?

I do this already

the little hooks hook into the cornrows?

it simply looks like a wig cap with an elastic band to me lol the hooks are for the tracks...

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:47am
she basically expanded on the u-part wig concept that has become popular.

instead of sewing or gluing the wefts onto a wig cap, and cutting out the u-shape, your hooking them on.

i like the idea though. i'll always support Black women getting into the hair game. i would purchase something like that. her price is a bit high for a one size fits all type unit though

she should offer customized sizing.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:48am
meh...kinda like.

im just gonna need a name change tho.

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:52am
Originally posted by HaitianLuv HaitianLuv wrote:

isnt this just a wig then???

this is what I said out loud as I was watching LOL

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:53am
good for her Clap

that name thoLOL

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

she basically expanded on the u-part wig concept that has become popular.

instead of sewing or gluing the wefts onto a wig cap, and cutting out the u-shape, your hooking them on.

i like the idea though. i'll always support Black women getting into the hair game. i would purchase something like that. her price is a bit high for a one size fits all type unit though

she should offer customized sizing.

All of this.

Plus, I have limited mobility in my hands. I can't do the sewing and what not necessary for making a wig or doing a weave. Something like this would be quick, I could still change my look when I wanted using good quality hair, and it would be pain free.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:59am
my bad samone. there are 5 combs inside the cap to secure it to your head.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:06pm
This seems like something for a temporary fix. Like you bought some big fru fru hair for an event or something.

But all it takes is ONE toddler up in your head, or one passionate moment for this idea to unravel. Literally.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:09pm
i hope she gets enough $$$ to drop the price considerably because the Chinese might come up with this by morning

She should get a patent there so she'd have something to work with to crack down on imports

I agree TC I already thought of improvements and that's a recipe for knockoffs. With the right clips and less bulk it can really work.

She's in the beginning stages perfect time to flesh it out

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:20pm

Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

yeah to the cornrows right?

I wouldn't want little hooks hooking into my cornrows all over my head

the clips at the top are enough
nawwww...the hooks are on the outside. Imagine hanging your coat on a hook. Attaching extiensions to a hook and eye

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:09pm
Now lets hook your hair up!

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:28pm
I love it because it takes me forever to make my own wigs. I hope she gets a patent for this cause we know all the factories in Qingdao will make this in a few mins.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:31pm
I'm lazy. I'd still want someone to do it for me

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:36pm
hope she succeeds.
I have clipped tracks to a wig base cap before when I didn't want to clip them to my own hair. (the caps with horizontal bands across it).

I like new inventions. I'm working on something new now myself.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:41pm
lawd that wig cap is thick and i am menopausing....that would be good for someone who doesn't have a lot of hair to deal with and can use that cap....unless she can find a way more lighter material for us who can't stand those thick wig caps, i would def try...but for 89.99 i am better off going to THE WEAVE BAR and getting a weave job for 50.00..

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:45pm
yes.  a lighter more breathable material would be nice.

Posted By: kfoxx1998
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:58pm
much lighter and much less fabric and we're there.  This would eliminate the sewing part of my wig-making but the caps need to be light mesh.  Cant deal with all those rows and rows of this and that. 

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:11pm
I wonder if she could do this w/ the wig base caps (open spaced)?

eta: I have no interest in stealing or revamping her idea but I don't want to help anyone else do it either lol

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:21pm
yeah open spaced net like caps seems like it would work better....

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:35pm
lmaoooooooooooo

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:38pm

why would I do this?

hook them up track by track....why?

i guess you can easily reuse the cap as well and quickly replace a track if necessary.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:45pm

seems like a lot of work

well if she can get people to buy this I am all for it

you think so?  i'd think it would be easier and quicker than actually sewing tracks down.  my only issue at this point,  is what appears to be hot azz material and the bulk...

i also think if she can figure out a way to make it more lace wig-ish...you know like snapping on ventilated pieces (that can blow in the wind without tracks showing) section by section...that would be cool....

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:03pm
She needs to revamp the design;

The wig cap is too thick and is going to make the scalp sweat, It's too bulky...Why so many hooks ?

A mesh cap would've been better... at the end of the day, I would buy a wig rather than do all that work.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:32pm
maybe she can market it to caucasian women

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Nayyyyyyyyyy for 89.99 why not just get a wig? $89.99 plus a couple hundred for the tracks naw...she needs to drop the price

Ali already duping the cap as we type CryCryCry

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:38pm
Looks neat.

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Ali already duping the cap as we type CryCryCry

whaaat? you got a link? i want to see how they did it

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:03pm
a lot of people don't know how to position tracks or have a weave head for sewing

This makes it more foolproof, no real skill needed

I see what she was trying to do

Not sure how secure the pins/clips ate

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:31pm
looks like your head will be hot.  the cap looks thick. but go 'head girl.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:34pm
The lady messaged me on reddit to say that she is definitely seeing some traction with it.  She's past $10,000 on kickstarter now.  Hope it works out for her, I'm sure this thread will help with some feedback.

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 10:59pm
I like the idea. I would use a more sheer, yet durable material tho, that way the scalp would breathe more easily. 

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:01pm
Ok, she's outta her mind for that price. The raw materials can't even be worth more than $5. Ermm

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

I like the idea. I would use a more sheer, yet durable material tho, that way the scalp would breathe more easily. 

could work.  maybe that "hard" lace?  or mono lace?

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

could work.  maybe that "hard" lace?  or mono lace?

Exactly. Or even the soft nets they currently have in stores of sew-ins. Maybe eventually, she could have material options with different cap colors. 

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:08pm
The name is horrible. The idea is neat. I agrew she should use flesh tone colors in a sheer stretchy strong material.

I could make that tho. For way less than what shes askin

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:23pm
^^^^^
Right. I couldn't even pay $90 for something could "the hookie do" lol! Needs a more serious name. lol!

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:25pm
I'm just mad she didn't re-film some of the shots that made the process look annoying LOL.. like the hair getting stuck in the hooks

but I'm not hating.. I'm happy for her and I hope she makes millions Clap. I could see how some people might want this

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

i hope she gets enough $$$ to drop the price considerably because the Chinese might come up with this by morning

LMAO!

you aint lyin.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

The lady messaged me on reddit to say that she is definitely seeing some traction with it.  She's past $10,000 on kickstarter now.  Hope it works out for her, I'm sure this thread will help with some feedback.

Is she reading this thread?

Good luck [to her]!

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:44pm

yeah to the cornrows right?

I wouldn't want little hooks hooking into my cornrows all over my head

the clips at the top are enough
nawwww...the hooks are on the outside. Imagine hanging your coat on a hook. Attaching extiensions to a hook and eye

ohhhh....wtf

oh hell no...it is 90 something degrees outside and having that on my head...save this ish for the dead of winter when it's 20 below zero...lawdhammercy...sweatin and havin a heat stroke at the same time while tryinn to look dayum cute in this hot behind weather..wth???

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

a lot of people don't know how to position tracks or have a weave head for sewing

This makes it more foolproof, no real skill needed

I see what she was trying to do

Not sure how secure the pins/clips ate

Yes that's sorta what I was thinking. Some can't even put needle to weft to attempt sewing.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:56pm
Microfiber would work great . The material is cool and strong . Good luck to her .

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:56pm
~deleted the 1st part of my comment b/c i dont intend to give anyone any ideas and I definitely dont want anyone to swipe her concept~

For certain concepts, it is best to protect your idea, get a bank loan for financing for the product & marketing...it is a dog eat dog industry and the Chinese vendors stay on the hunt...they are all over IG stealing pix and product ideas...bless her heart.

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:01am
truth.^^^^  this is not a "start where you are" business idea.  You need backing...especially when u know it's something that's gone get took regardless of patent.

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:10am

truth.^^^^  this is not a "start where you are" business idea.  You need backing...especially when u know it's something that's gone get took regardless of patent.

I worked for a consumer goods company not many years ago and in the many industry periodicals that I used to read, it was crystal clear that a lot of people world wide are getting paid big bucks to surf all of the forums and blogs that we all are familiar with to steal new product ideas from the 'gurus' and the posters that innocently post new maintenance & care tricks. The blogs/forums/youtube gurus names were thrown around left and right in the articles.

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:54am
I believe it.  The amount of things stolen from here alone let me know that. 

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 12:57am

I believe it.  The amount of things stolen from here alone let me know that. 

I even scanned some of the mindblowing articles from the industry publications with intent to post them on bhm, then i was like, eh, why bother, the depth will go over people's heads, and now, who knows where I saved those jpgs lol

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 7:26pm
Last update:

Ole girl did it! Clap

She raised over $20,000 on kickstarter:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1189742948/hookie-do-hook-your-hair-extensions-in-minutes-not?ref=discovery" rel="nofollow - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1189742948/hookie-do-hook-your-hair-extensions-in-minutes-not?ref=discovery

Note, I have no affiliation with her, just like her story, and the fact that she gave this a shot.  We've been chatting back and forth on reddit, but one huge takeaway from this is that ideas don't have to be perfect. You can get moving with something, improve on it, and win.  Biggest thing is to get moving on something.I'm really enjoying this little uptick of black folks getting stuff funded on kickstarter. Awesome!!!! 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 7:27pm
Yes.
Good for her.

Hope she does well

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 8:05pm

nice!

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 8:14pm
dang, she jumped up 13k in like 24 hours. she won, i hope it all works out for her.

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

dang, she jumped up 13k in like 24 hours. she won, i hope it all works out for her.

Yeah Bunz, it literally went viral over night!

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

~deleted the 1st part of my comment b/c i dont intend to give anyone any ideas and I definitely dont want anyone to swipe her concept~

For certain concepts, it is best to protect your idea, get a bank loan for financing for the product & marketing...it is a dog eat dog industry and the Chinese vendors stay on the hunt...they are all over IG stealing pix and product ideas...bless her heart.

Banks are not lending to small businesses with no history or solid revenue.
It just isn't happening right now.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 8:40pm
Nay for me.

Wig cap at my BSS- $5.99
Hooks- $7.99
Wig stand- $6.00

That's a grand total of about $19. Why would I pay almost 5 times as much for that.....

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 8:41pm
looks like the BSS turban i sleep in turned inside out with hooks added along the weft lines

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:07pm
I know a few engineer friends that would love to tweak this conceptually. The bones of the idea seem sound, but the execution can be cleaner. And that price point is way too steep, she better snatch her hookie do- off of kickstarter before Mei Su Lang and the other chinamen at the sweat shop, have this hookie do in chinatown on some ol 1 for 5, 2 for 10!

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Banks are not lending to small businesses with no history or solid revenue.
It just isn't happening right now.

In NJ they are. The local banks definitely are. Plus there are tons of state sponsored & city level micro loans that will provide 20k, even for people with sketchy credit.

Print Page | Close Window