Print Page | Close Window

Mom Suffocates Toddler- Reaches Breaking Point

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372180
Printed Date: Aug 14 2018 at 4:15pm

Topic: Mom Suffocates Toddler- Reaches Breaking Point
Posted By: indiecat
Subject: Mom Suffocates Toddler- Reaches Breaking Point
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:42pm
smh, he's such a beautiful baby
pix11.com/2014/07/08/queens-mom-allegedly-kills-11-month-old-son-after-reaching-breaking-point/

Queens mom allegedly kills 11-month-old son after ‘reaching breaking point’

ELMHURST, Queens (PIX11) – Detectives say she told them that she killed her own baby boy because she had “reached her breaking point.”

Now, Nicole “Nikki” Kelly is in police custody charged with the second degree murder of her 11-month-old son, and the story surrounding his death is disturbing to people who knew him and his mother.

The child, Kiam Felix, Jr., was pronounced dead at Elmhurst Hospital on Sunday afternoon after Kelly, 22, brought him into the emergency room with the boy’s father, who does not live with them.

Resource: Safe Surrender, other options for overwhelmed parents
Instead, Kelly and her baby boy rented a room from another woman, who herself has a two year-old boy. “I really don’t want to talk about it,” the woman, who would not give her name, said Tuesday morning regarding her roommate’s arrest the day before.

She did describe the child who had been staying in her home until she saw him unconscious with his mother on Sunday afternoon. “He was a happy baby,” she told PIX11 News.

Indeed, in every photo of him on Facebook, little Kiam Felix looks sweet, kind and happy. Some of the photos are particularly disturbing based on information conveyed by Kelly’s housemate.

She said that she’d seen Kelly on Sunday afternoon with the body of her lifeless baby, just before the baby’s father had come over to take him and Kelly to the hospital. The baby was dressed in a completely white outfit — vest, collared shirt, necktie, pants and socks, identical to the wallpaper photos on Kelly’s Facebook page.

Below that photo banner, Kelly had posted, in part, after her son’s death, “Missing my baby boy so much wish there was some way I could bring him back to life I feel horrible knowing he passed away. Am [sic] his Mother. I was supposed to protect him.”

Police at the nearby 110th Precinct could not agree more. They arrested Kelly, and after questioning her, they reported to district attorney’s office investigators that the woman who has worked as a home health aide wrapped her baby so tightly in a bed sheet Sunday that he couldn’t breathe or move.

She left him alone on the bed for a half hour, while she showered. After he turned blue, Kelly called the boy’s father, who took them to Elmhurst Hospital, where he was pronounced dead early Sunday evening.

After she was taken into custody, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office, she told investigators, “I reached my breaking point, I didn’t want him anymore.”

Two ironies are worth mentioning. It was Kelly’s 22nd birthday on Monday, the same day she was arrested for causing the death the day before. Also, she is currently undergoing a psychiatric evaluation at Elmhurst Hospital, the same facility to which she’d brought her son.

She is currently expected to make a first appearance before a judge on the murder charge on Wednesday. Kelly will be arraigned at her bedside at Elmhurst Hospital.

If she is found guilty, she faces a sentence of 25 years to life in prison.

Replies:
Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:52pm
Dang, just heart breaking

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:14pm
RIP baby. I know the father of is beating himself up over the murder of his son.Cry

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:19pm
She may be mentally ill. If she wasn't abusive before the baby passing,then maybe she really did wish him "to go away" but not to die.

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 4:52am
maybe she suffered from PPD

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 6:39am

why have kids if you don't want them...
geez... it's not that hard

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 6:42am
Wow, she is psycho

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 7:25am
Postpartum depression is real, it scares the sh*t outta me (as someone who has bouts of depression)

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 7:32am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Postpartum depression is real, it scares the sh*t outta me (as someone who has bouts of depression)
And a lot of people under estimate the effects of it.

Posted By: Bekah
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:14am
I feel for her and the baby who lost his life.. I dealt with PPD.. and well as depression.

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:18am
Really so sad.
And yes everyone truly underestimates the postpartum depression. ALSO the effect of birth control on new mothers and just women in general.

They just think women are supposed to be so strong.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:18am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

maybe she suffered from PPD
Yea, I was thinking that too.  Sad though, RIP Kiam.  Maybe there should be counseling, in addition to pre and post natal care, for all pregnant mothers.  I wonder if that would help decrease these infant murders.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:19am
People need to take ppd more seriously....smh

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:21am
I hope they do a real thorough investigation of her mental state, see if she was on birth control...
SMH I had bad thoughts while on that Mirena I knew I had to get it out

Some people cant realize something is causing them side effects or just think they can deal on their own though

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Bekah Bekah wrote:

I feel for her and the baby who lost his life.. I dealt with PPD.. and well as depression.
Hey Bekah, I feel ya.  I went through it too.  Luckily my mom saw the changes in me.  She took care of my child for 2 weeks and I took a vacation.  It's the hormones all out of whackWacko and the stresses and anxiety of becoming a mother, I believe that causes it.

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:25am
I don't think she deserves a trial. Put her down right now!

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:26am
I too dealt with ppd, I still deal with depression. it's important to talk about it and get help. it's important to have supportive people around. Family and friends who can give you a break at times. It's even worse to have ppd as a single mom because nobody is there to support you, nobody is there so you can sleep, you don't get any time to yourself. like her, even a shower, you can't get that. it does become frustrating and lonely, you can't always soothe your child and have to rock your child all night. it's sad, but always get help and always speak up if you don't feel like you can handle things. I just wish this mother left the baby at a police station, a hospital, or a church instead. her mind must have been out of control, it seems she regretted it.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:26am
very sad..

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:29am
Very sad. I remember feeling like a zombie right after the birth of my son. I hope she gets help. RIP to that beautiful baby.

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:35am

Yes it is scary as hell.  I went through it badly with my second daughter.  It was made worse by the fact that my husband and I split while I was pregnant with her.  Thinking about where my head was at during that time makes me scared.  I was totally lost and ended up somewhere for a while, away from my kids, getting help.  

I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.  RIP to that poor baby.  

Posted By: NadiaPost
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:38am
PPD is real but this bish aint sh*t. What the article left out is that she not only suffocated the baby, she left him and proceeded to take a nice relaxing shower. She then came back in the room where the baby lay deceased, dressed the deceased baby in a white suit. Nikki then took a picture. She then got to the hospital took another picture when he was pronounced dead. Made a photo collage of the deceased child in his suit side by side with the picture of him deceased in the hospital bed. Posting all of this while in the hospital. Everyone is crying but this special case is too busy making fb statuses answering questions. Depression is real but I will not feel sorry for this bish.
https://www.facebook.com/BabygirlMinnie?fref=ts

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:17am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

why have kids if you don't want them...
geez... it's not that hard

they keep doing it...every.day.  

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:21am
Glad you ladies got the help you needed.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:25am
This entire thing just seems like a mess. 
The baby's father new girlfriend on fb calling the baby her son. smdh people have no boundaries.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:29am

it is scary. i went through something like that.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:54am
Originally posted by NadiaPost NadiaPost wrote:

PPD is real but this bish aint sh*t. What the article left out is that she not only suffocated the baby, she left him and proceeded to take a nice relaxing shower. She then came back in the room where the baby lay deceased, dressed the deceased baby in a white suit. Nikki then took a picture. She then got to the hospital took another picture when he was pronounced dead. Made a photo collage of the deceased child in his suit side by side with the picture of him deceased in the hospital bed. Posting all of this while in the hospital. Everyone is crying but this special case is too busy making fb statuses answering questions. Depression is real but I will not feel sorry for this bish.

That only goes to show you how out of it she was, though. Just like anyone else, I'm horrified when a child is killed by his mother. However some cases of post-partum depression are legitimate. I don't see the point in incarcerating her for life. That woman needs treatment. She's off her rocker.

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 10:40am
I have to say, I'm shocked at how easy ya'll are taking it on this chick.

I have to wonder if there'd be so much sympathy if she were White.

Posted By: newin2009
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:11am

Yes, but what "normal" person would do that? She's gotta be off mentally.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:27am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

That only goes to show you how out of it she was, though. Just like anyone else, I'm horrified when a child is killed by his mother. However some cases of post-partum depression are legitimate. I don't see the point in incarcerating her for life. That woman needs treatment. She's off her rocker.

But how many crimes are committed due to undiagnosed depression? If your depression makes you murder people then there is no way to prevent that from happening again. People go off their meds all the time and she is free to reproduce as many times as she wants. What will happen when the PPD comes again? Depression cannot be an excuse for murder. *bangs gavel*

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 11:46am
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

Guuurl. *sips tea*

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:27pm
Sounds like too Many know what that breaking point feels like for this woman or the subway woman to catch hell

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:00pm
geeezus.  Cry

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:01pm
DP .

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:02pm

I'll be honest, I probably wouldn't have much sympathy if she were white. But the fact that this illness is recognized when Becky is afflicted with this is precisely what makes me feel more lenient towards this black mother. We all know they're likely to throw the book at her regardless. Ain't no extenuating circumstances for black people.

PPD is transient. If she ever gets pregnant again (god forbids!), she needs to be kept under observation.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:05pm

NVM . My comment was not what God would want me to say . I found more info on the tragic death . I think Prison and possibly meds would be the right thing .

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:28pm
Do you all think the bf knew?

Im curious to know why he is not being charged with something. from the article is sounds like he when might have known the baby was deceased before he got over there. 

If you go over your gf's house and your baby is dead...why not call 911? ..and after seeing the your gf freshly showered...why not call the police?

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:48pm
Sad...guess she couldn't handle being cooped up with her own baby all day.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 6:43pm
She just sounds like a chick tired of having a baby to me. Y'all immediately went to PPD without any evidence. Murder is not normal, so technically we could say no "normal" person commits murder. We should let half the prison system free in that case.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Im curious to know why he is not being charged with something. from the article is sounds like he when might have known the baby was deceased before he got over there. 

If you go over your gf's house and your baby is dead...why not call 911? ..and after seeing the your gf freshly showered...why not call the police?

If I get a distressed call about my child, I'm going straight to the ER as well. I'm not waiting for 911.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

The article isn't properly written. When I went on fb I can tell she has a  new 31 yr old bf (she's about 19) who isnt the childs father and the childs father has a new gf who referes to the kids as "her son"

IDK if the article is referrirng to the actual bf or baby father?

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 7:34pm

Of course not, but then again, white people do the same thing so.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by SimplyPut SimplyPut wrote:

She just sounds like a chick tired of having a baby to me. Y'all immediately went to PPD without any evidence. Murder is not normal, so technically we could say no "normal" person commits murder. We should let half the prison system free in that case.

Right.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:13pm
White women automatically get sympathy. Someone has to give black women the benefit of the doubt, may as well b other black women. I'm sure the media won't even mention the possibility of ppd.

She needs to b locked away somewhere whether that's jail or a hospital.

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:02pm
Bhm is so one dimensional sometimes ....

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 10:08pm

I doubt it.

Print Page | Close Window