Print Page | Close Window

White Jamaicans

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372165
Printed Date: Sep 23 2018 at 6:23pm

Topic: White Jamaicans
Posted By: CLCNY20
Subject: White Jamaicans
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:10am
I'm sorry, but I can't wrap my mind around this ish LOL

I feel like he's faking the damn accent, but that's a damn good impression if he is...

this is really f*ckin with me LOL

Replies:
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:31am
I had...

no idea...

how ignorant I was towards anyone w/o brown skin speaking this way...

I have learned something very important about myself today...

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:43am

Posted By: MissDarkEyes
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:57am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2vGtlSoZA" rel="nofollow -
Interesting doucumentary on "Germaicans"  Ethnically German but culturally Jamaican.  Sorry, have no idea how to embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2vGtlSoZA

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:02am
Originally posted by MissDarkEyes MissDarkEyes wrote:

Interesting doucumentary on "Germaicans"  Ethnically German but culturally Jamaican.  Sorry, have no idea how to embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2vGtlSoZA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2vGtlSoZA

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:09am
Nope.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:15am
Dead.  Sandra, log off  LOLLOL

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:24am
I was gonna direct you to the Chinese who left video and the video with the German lady.

ETA but they were posted already

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:26am
The op is legit, the guy in the car sounds like he's been in foreign for a little too long

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:27am
How do you mean been in foreign for too long?

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:29am
I love that Jamaicans all have the same accent no matter what race...except for the rich, flight attendants, and the news people lmao

I miss Jamaica smh

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:31am
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

To me he sounds like he's been in the us for a while and he's losing his accent...I only watched for a few seconds though

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

The op is legit, the guy in the car sounds like he's been in foreign for a little too long

naaaaahhhh the OP is trying to speak in patois, it isn't his go-to langugage, he sound like the English taxi lady's car i took that lived in Jamaica for about 15 years but was originally from England. The guy in the car is on point. But both are legit.

The German gentleman and the 2 Chinese are speaking Standard Jamaican English, if im remembering properly.

Oh yes CLC, REPOSTLOL the first videoTongue

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:50am
Out of many one people...that's our motto.
Jamaica is a melting pot...Chinese..indian...white...

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:52am
yes we all speak patois...but I realized while growing up the people in Kingston accent is different than the people in Trelawny...St Mary...St Elizabeth and other parishes

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:23am

I love that Jamaicans all have the same accent no matter what race...except for the rich, flight attendants, and the news people lmao

I miss Jamaica smh

Naah its not homogenours, even the words used like St. elizabethians (lol) use the pronoun) him, im for her and him. Kingstonians like Brja said have a distinct kingstonian drawwwwlllllllll. Im talking true kingstonians not those of us who live in st.andrew. 

So there are regional accents as well and i find the folks in the south coast speak so fast an "chip the patois" so hard it's hard to decipher.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:45am
Out of topic, but to the Jamaicans on the board, is it cheaper to live in Jamaica than in the US? I am talking about the really nice neighborhoods.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 12:02pm
what you mean to buy a house? or rent? or the prices of goods and services?

Yes God Yes. Rent in a nice neighbourhood on the flat in kingston can be $350-800. Up in the hills now things get into the $1200 range. I've seen real estate listing for $150,000,000-200, 000, 000 JMD or 1,500,000,000- 2,000,000 USD in the hills and it just blew my mind. 200,000 USd and get you a never remodeled family home on 1/4-1/3 acre of land with fruit trees 5 bdroom 4 or 3 bath in my neighbourhood. I have seen 400, 000 listing in my neighbourhood. rolls eyes

Let's see good and services are the same price range except in the resort towns. but open air markets are cheaper than supermarkets. the most I;d consider paying for a weave in 2014 is $50 USD, the most ive ever spent was $35 yearrrsssss ago when i wore weave but there were girls doing $10 weaves.

Posted By: bigsexylisa
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 12:19pm
I have a coworker that is half Black and half Asian--but was raised in Jamaica.  The look on a person's face when she open's her mouth is priceless.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by bigsexylisa bigsexylisa wrote:

I have a coworker that is half Black and half Asian--but was raised in Jamaica.  The look on a person's face when she open's her mouth is priceless.

Lisa long time no see.Smile

Uhmm some of these raised in the back of the wholesale chinese speak some hardcore patois, i remember teasing a friend of mine mercilessly.

My cousin (black chiney) says he has a hard time getting folks to believe he's Jamaican esp since he doesn't speak patois, he says they come up to him and speak spanish all the time. #SeanPaulproblems

Posted By: sweetskul
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 12:43pm
the other day i come across this video of this white jamaican man a whine up himself to chaka demus and pliers mi nearly dead him did real serious wid it 

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 12:46pm
seet here 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203868804550082&l=1912977707105363426

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203868804550082&l=1912977707105363426" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203868804550082&l=1912977707105363426

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by sweetskul sweetskul wrote:

the other day i come across this video of this white jamaican man a whine up himself to chaka demus and pliers mi nearly dead him did real serious wid it 
LOLLOLLOLLOL dem is very serious bout dem dancing.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 2:06pm
white/Asian/other Jamaican's...hmmm...quick question. Are they acting black?

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 2:32pm

No he sounds just fine. He doesn't even sound like he's ever left.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 2:39pm

seet here 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203868804550082&l=1912977707105363426

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203868804550082&l=1912977707105363426" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203868804550082&l=1912977707105363426

LOL what di fuk you a talk?!
you ain't warn us about the singing too tho! LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 2:43pm
then of course I had to go to Youtube to see if there was more LOL

laaaaawd I had a good day with these videos LOLCryLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 2:47pm
THIS is why I'm having trust issues--I don't think this dude is Jamaican, but he's doing a good imitation

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 3:13pm
Yall hear the Canadian boy who did a cover of popcaans song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7O-SL8qrg" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx7O-SL8qrg

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 3:16pm

I saw him on on stage, he sounded good best any popcaan song has ever sounded. But i sing dancehall songs like that ALL the timeEmbarrassedEmbarrassed

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

No. they act like people. They've been here all their lives. I dont even know how to answer. it's not like they are outside the culture looking in, they are part of the culture. I dont look at a white Jamaican as i do a white North American or European.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

I saw him on on stage, he sounded good best any popcaan song has ever sounded. But i sing dancehall songs like that ALL the timeEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
him and poppy need fi do a collab 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:12pm
lol @ this thread.  do you smoke weed?

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:20pm

No. they act like people. They've been here all their lives. I dont even know how to answer. it's not like they are outside the culture looking in, they are part of the culture. I dont look at a white Jamaican as i do a white North American or European.

Indeed Diane. The question...I was being facetious.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

He can bring back Pappy career
NO!

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:27pm

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:28pm
I see what CLC has been doing all day...dats y shi nuh post nuh food pic!!!

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

NO!

aight no more Popcaan

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:36pm

oh yeah?  go check

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:59pm
The guy in the first video sounds Irish to me. But then again, I've always thought Jamaican speech is mostly a fusion of West African and Irish English. My perception of the first guy tho might be because of his "white voice". 
I heard my JA friend call his friend "my lad" and I told him he sounds Irish. IDK too much about the Caribbean history but from the well-known title "Pirates of the Caribbean" (and pirates stereo-typically being Irish), the Irish may have had a big influence on the Jamaican speech.  The only African word I know in Patois is "unnu" which has the same meaning as "unu" in Igbo. 

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 6:01pm

oh yeah?  go check

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 7:16pm

Like foreigners in America who speak just like Americans

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 10:10pm

Originally posted by MissDarkEyes MissDarkEyes wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2vGtlSoZA" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY2vGtlSoZA

Interesting that they have that Jamaican accent but I do detect a bit of German accent too.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:15pm

Indeed Diane. The question...I was being facetious.

lolol sorry didn't catch that one

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 11:35pm
tbh I can't remember the thread but it there was a debate on Justin T acting black because he sings r&B/pop.  Some folks said he's white therefore appropriating period, others said he was raised in Tennessee home of r&b/blues etc so he truly has been influenced by his surroundings.  The tone was suggesting that he was 'acting black' because his lyrics involved broken english and slang.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 4:52am

I had...

no idea...

Sounds like his putting it on 

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 9:32am
White West Indians fascinate me.

But in MY opinion/experience, the thicker accent like the one in the OP is "put on" a little. I don't doubt he spent some time there but I DO doubt that that's how he spoke on a regular basis. He looked how black Americans with some upward mobility act when they're trying to seem down.

In Barbados they sequester themselves in little white enclaves and generally don't have the Bajan accent but every now and again you come across one and its like Shocked say something else....

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Missvw Missvw wrote:

I had...

no idea...

Sounds like his putting it on 

Nope that's perfectly fine and YG agreed as well. he sounds like most yardies i know.

How do y'all skip the first video posted with the dad and say this accent sounds off? Confusedlolol

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:15pm
I'm not gonna lie, I wonder that too--the father sounds more forced, this dude?  if I close my eyes, I can imagine someone from my stepfather's side sharing a tale about getting they ass whooped LOL

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:28pm

I'm not gonna lie, I wonder that too--the father sounds more forced, this dude?  if I close my eyes, I can imagine someone from my stepfather's side sharing a tale about getting they ass whooped LOL

Exactly, i closed my eyes and didn't even need more than 5 seconds. I just watched his video it's funny. I never get beating though, my mom didn;t do that oh no she slapped me once, i still have her up lolol. I got beating from my principal (for doing what kids do i wasnt being rudeCry) once in my life and she didn't beat the other kids. Wench! Shes dead now.

I think the trailer demonstrates the other side of the spectrum- Standard Jamaican English with a few patois words thrown in, variations on the accent as well. But no video has full patois. Those Germans/red naygas can chip it though. When they speak it's like huh?!Confused

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:29pm
...this sh*t is sexy on White guys. 

#dontjugeme

#awfckitjudgemebutfckyourjudgement

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:35pm

#dontjugeme

LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 12:36pm

#dontjugeme

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA. 

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:12pm

tbh I can't remember the thread but it there was a debate on Justin T acting black because he sings r&B/pop.  Some folks said he's white therefore appropriating period, others said he was raised in Tennessee home of r&b/blues etc so he truly has been influenced by his surroundings.  The tone was suggesting that he was 'acting black' because his lyrics involved broken english and slang.

Ok i see where your thoughts are now. We see it as a shared history and culture, but the language is different on class lines so the percentage of patois changes as you go up. There are some uptown folks who can not speak patoised-english because it was learned second hand and it was never heard growing up (i went to school with a few). So exposure levels are different. I didn't really hear it at home but i heard a big enough percentage to not sound forced. Much to my mother's dismay i didn't really start to talk it till i got to my former workplace and my cousin till she went to school. lololol

I often get "do you travel" "you lived abroad" "where you live" "where you come from"? Even last Saturday it was me and the 2 men (that's proper patois grammar) selling pineapples and papaya at the market in cross roads arguing over how i speak. I kept trying to explain i speak SJE and not American or British English and they took a while to get it. I think im 80%SJE and 17% patois 3%BHM speak

We don't look to them as appropriating anything for they've just always been here in the Gideon. Jamaican and Americans dont have the same views on race, generally it's nationality first race after but blacks are the majority here so that factors in too and there's classism/colourism more so than racism (but it's stemming from that).

If you stopped the man/woman on the street and asked do you think the fellow in the car is a poser? They'd look at you weird and ask "how else should he talk? He's Jamaican."Confused

It's a small bit of land, the rock we pass each other interact all the time esp the country folk. Whereas justin may have been in Tennessee he prob. was far removed from where the cultureof r&b/blues is.

CLC i get it, when  want to say southernI was shocked at seeing a Chinese Jamaican on the voice, i myself was shocked at her being shocked.

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:08pm
Just a friggin' mindf*ck...this ish is like a circus attraction to me...I can't...

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:20pm
CLC is that yendi is your avi? If yes......how what where and why is she doing that?

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:23pm
No clue, there was a set on tumblr, looks like she was modeling and she started dancing, lol

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:26pm
ok, gotcha!!!!!!

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:27pm
dont be vex with me but I'm not shocked

the Chinese and Indians were indentured slaves in Jamaica after the African slave trade 

The Irish were slaves in Jamaica before Africans and of course colonialism brought whites there

I was surprised how close the Irish accent is to a jamaican accent.   We had a fresh off the boat Irish principal and I was the principal whisperer lol

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:29pm
YES!!! Isn't that weird?! When I try to do an Irish accent, people say I sound Jamaican, and I can hear it! LOL.  Meanwhile, the Irish can't stand Blacks.  Go figure?!

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:33pm

Diane killed her principle lol

I didn't even realize it was Yendi...

ew, lmfaoooooooooooo

I guess no matter where they come from, they don't understanding sh*t about seasoning, huh?

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:35pm
Right?! It's like know thyself and then come back and apologize to us lol

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:47pm
Ok--real talk time, cuz I'm genuinely confused...

If the Irish were considered the nuccuhs of white people
And the Italians were considered the nuccuhs of white people
...Who the hell were these elite groups of white people that were doing the shunning of them? lollll

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 10:53pm
im guessing 

the British 

Colonialists and imperialists through and through 

Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:03pm
hmmmm...

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jul 18 2014 at 11:53pm
Meh

Sounds better on Black ppl

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 10:09am

ew, lmfaoooooooooooo

I guess no matter where they come from, they don't understanding sh*t about seasoning, huh?
dat Brotha wife

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 12:43pm
ahhh boy poor john caan cook...boy yuh betta can cook think yuh deh ya fi yuh pretty looks yuh waan go a restaurant and done man bank book 

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

dont be vex with me but I'm not shocked

the Chinese and Indians were indentured slaves in Jamaica after the African slave trade 

The Irish were slaves in Jamaica before Africans and of course colonialism brought whites there

I was surprised how close the Irish accent is to a jamaican accent.   We had a fresh off the boat Irish principal and I was the principal whisperer lol

I'm glad I'm the only one who thought so about the accent. It's nice to know my "hypothesis" wasn't way off. loL!

YES!!! Isn't that weird?! When I try to do an Irish accent, people say I sound Jamaican, and I can hear it! LOL.  Meanwhile, the Irish can't stand Blacks.  Go figure?!

My point exactly. 

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

The guy in the first video sounds Irish to me. But then again, I've always thought Jamaican speech is mostly a fusion of West African and Irish English. My perception of the first guy tho might be because of his "white voice". 
I heard my JA friend call his friend "my lad" and I told him he sounds Irish. IDK too much about the Caribbean history but from the well-known title "Pirates of the Caribbean" (and pirates stereo-typically being Irish), the Irish may have had a big influence on the Jamaican speech.  The only African word I know in Patois is "unnu" which has the same meaning as "unu" in Igbo. 

Guys Miss Amirah mentioned the irish sound a few pages back, remember?

Mizz when he says "my lad" it's pronounced my "laad" or "laahd" english translation is "my lord" not "my lad"

The english always the english, saw a post in the LOL threads around July 4th that said "every country has an independence day except England because they are the ones everyone else was seeking independence from"CryCryLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 3:04pm
LOLOL MizzA that post was typed last night but i forgot to press send.

BBPants who did i kill?

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jul 19 2014 at 4:13pm
The accent isn't Irish as much as West Country

Print Page | Close Window