Print Page | Close Window

Kola Boof thoughts on CurlyNikki controversy

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372062
Printed Date: Jun 17 2019 at 11:52pm

Topic: Kola Boof thoughts on CurlyNikki controversy
Posted By: mrshairdo
Subject: Kola Boof thoughts on CurlyNikki controversy
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:21pm
...sigh* I love her..she said everything i feel and more....
your thoughts? repost? freepost? lol

BLACK AMERICA
I don't get to walk in White people's private spaces and say: "You know, I identify with you, therefore I AM you." 
White Women....and Black Women don't have the same type of hair. So this entire debate with Curly Nikki is ass-backwards typical USA camel sh*t. I posted the article in Ebony by Jamilah Lemieux because anybody with common sense and motherwit could see Jamilah was right. 
Me personally, I think this is going to get much worse for Black Americans. And I blame centuries of being raised on White people's 1 drop rule. This entire way of thinking goes back to that slave tenet....that there is no definition of Blackness. 
Yet everybody else is clearly defined. 
Whether it's casting a movie role or promoting "natural hair" beauty, the actual Blacks go on the bottom or in the back. It's the same sh*t. A Filipino woman in Oakland (who has 0 black blood) was chosen to represent Nubian Queens on a float in a parade. And on Hot 97 radio in NYC, a black man is calling white women, "White Nubian Queens." 
Are yall woke?
Most Black American people are just not ready to deconstruct this problem that has been brewing for centuries in USA. They cling to the notion that Blackness is simply a state of mind...anybody can access that mind-set and BE IT; represent it. You notice the AAs love to say: "Well she/he identifies with".....like that means sh*t. 
Of course...it never goes both ways. I don't get to be "Miss Japan" or "Miss Swedish-America" on a float. Hell no. 
And the more that "Faux Black" folks begin to have WHITE MOTHERS and Non-Black Mothers, this sh*t is going to get more and more contentious with all the power and representation going to ...guess who?
Meanwhile, Real Black folks who have 2 Black parents (or a black & a mixed parent) will be pushed to the back; eased to the bottom....told that they aren't the ones who define blackness....
THIS is why I'm the way I am. I don't adopt the AA plantation tradition. I firmly reject it. Because I can see clearly how it's destroying AAs and how it encourages them to breed out; to erase self. I can see how they keep changing the definition of "Black" to accommodate everybody but Black people. 
I can't go in White People's homes and announce "I identity with you, therefore I AM you".....hell no.
This is NO LONGER the Jim Crow era. And AAs need to begin the PAINFUL work of adjusting how they're going to identify themselves because quite frankly...the infiltration by OTHER MOTHERS and their children (who ride in 2 boats) is putting your black ass right where you were to begin with...the bottom. 
At some point...."Actual Blacks" have to define Blackness in ORGANIC terms and begin closing ranks to protect their representation and their power of their own group. I mean, seriously, how many White Presidents of the NAACP Chapters do you need in order to feel that you're inclusive and no-racist. 
"Oh but, Kola they jess as black as I am...and Bill Clinton was the first black President. Dey identify with us!"
To me, you just seem like a slave. The sh*t is pitiful.
Let these White women & their "Hair adventures" not displace our social struggle to be ourselves and to assert our blackness. Their blues ain't like ours. They don't go through sh*t compared to what we with The Helix (nappy African hair) go through. White women & Non-Black women are FREE as fresh air compared to us. And sisters or not, we need less White Supremacy...not more of it.

Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:26pm
Kola sure can speak a word.

And my soul says yes.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:30pm
^right? some days i think she's crazy but she sure does wax poetic when talking about racism 

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by mrshairdo mrshairdo wrote:

...sigh* I love her..she said everything i feel and more....
your thoughts? repost? freepost? lol

BLACK AMERICA
I don't get to walk in White people's private spaces and say: "You know, I identify with you, therefore I AM you." 
White Women....and Black Women don't have the same type of hair. So this entire debate with Curly Nikki is ass-backwards typical USA camel sh*t. I posted the article in Ebony by Jamilah Lemieux because anybody with common sense and motherwit could see Jamilah was right. 
Me personally, I think this is going to get much worse for Black Americans. And I blame centuries of being raised on White people's 1 drop rule. This entire way of thinking goes back to that slave tenet....that there is no definition of Blackness. 
Yet everybody else is clearly defined. 
Whether it's casting a movie role or promoting "natural hair" beauty, the actual Blacks go on the bottom or in the back. It's the same sh*t. A Filipino woman in Oakland (who has 0 black blood) was chosen to represent Nubian Queens on a float in a parade. And on Hot 97 radio in NYC, a black man is calling white women, "White Nubian Queens." 
Are yall woke?
Most Black American people are just not ready to deconstruct this problem that has been brewing for centuries in USA. They cling to the notion that Blackness is simply a state of mind...anybody can access that mind-set and BE IT; represent it. You notice the AAs love to say: "Well she/he identifies with".....like that means sh*t. 
Of course...it never goes both ways. I don't get to be "Miss Japan" or "Miss Swedish-America" on a float. Hell no. 
And the more that "Faux Black" folks begin to have WHITE MOTHERS and Non-Black Mothers, this sh*t is going to get more and more contentious with all the power and representation going to ...guess who?
Meanwhile, Real Black folks who have 2 Black parents (or a black & a mixed parent) will be pushed to the back; eased to the bottom....told that they aren't the ones who define blackness....
THIS is why I'm the way I am. I don't adopt the AA plantation tradition. I firmly reject it. Because I can see clearly how it's destroying AAs and how it encourages them to breed out; to erase self. I can see how they keep changing the definition of "Black" to accommodate everybody but Black people. 
I can't go in White People's homes and announce "I identity with you, therefore I AM you".....hell no.
This is NO LONGER the Jim Crow era. And AAs need to begin the PAINFUL work of adjusting how they're going to identify themselves because quite frankly...the infiltration by OTHER MOTHERS and their children (who ride in 2 boats) is putting your black ass right where you were to begin with...the bottom. 
At some point...."Actual Blacks" have to define Blackness in ORGANIC terms and begin closing ranks to protect their representation and their power of their own group. I mean, seriously, how many White Presidents of the NAACP Chapters do you need in order to feel that you're inclusive and no-racist. 
"Oh but, Kola they jess as black as I am...and Bill Clinton was the first black President. Dey identify with us!"
To me, you just seem like a slave. The sh*t is pitiful.
Let these White women & their "Hair adventures" not displace our social struggle to be ourselves and to assert our blackness. Their blues ain't like ours. They don't go through sh*t compared to what we with The Helix (nappy African hair) go through. White women & Non-Black women are FREE as fresh air compared to us. And sisters or not, we need less White Supremacy...not more of it.

Clap

and LOL @ the bolded

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:32pm
i laughed too lol...that line reminded me of bhm bout are yall woke haha

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:33pm
actual black

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:45pm
So you're not Black if you are biracial (one blk parent, one non-blk parent)

But if you have 1 biracial parent and 1 blk parent, you can claim Black?

What if you have 2 half-Black biracial parents, are you Black?

What if you have 2 Black parents and you look Biracial? Who's Black then?

Or is it only if you come out the womb of a non-Black woman that defines you as non-Black?

Someone explain to me how this math works

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:46pm
Quote changing the definition of "Black" to accommodate everybody but Black people.

Quote Let these White women & their "Hair adventures" not displace our social struggle to be ourselves and to assert our blackness. Their blues ain't like ours.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:47pm
This really had nothing to do with the actual discussion going on regarding non-BLack women embracing the natural hair movement... but it was an interesting response regardless

Someone post the link to the Curly Nikki article please

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:53pm
her point is there is no solid foundation of blackness, which allows other races (white ppl) to infiltrate spaces which are supposed to be for us

it has everything to do with the discussion, just in a different way

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:01pm
This post from the LHCF thread also spoke to me. And I'm pretty sure the poster is also a poster here.

Quote Wait a minute.

@ http://www.longhaircareforum.com/member.php?u=5870" rel="nofollow - DDTexlaxed

THIS thread saddens you?

This thread---the one in which the majority of (black) women are clearly not here for the appropriation of our Natural Hair movement by a woman who's "journey" ended when she (literally) let her hair down?

This thread---the one in which the majority of (black) women are not giving Curly Nikki or Felicity (Lol) passes for their trolling, self-promotion, and willful ignorance of what the real issues are.

So, THIS is the thread that saddens you, not Miss Lily's (oh, the irony) ignorant responses to folk trying to explain to her that while it may have been a difficult, painful struggle for her to wear her curly hair in a bun during her adolescence and finally learn to accept her silky curls, this doesn't mean she's entitled to sit with us---and by "us" I mean the black women in the military who are PUTTING THEIR LIVES ON THE LINE EVERY DAY IN SERVICE TO THIS RACIST, UNGRATEFUL COUNTRY, who can't even wear their hair in braids, dreds, twist-outs, twists or puffs because it's "unprofessional" and looks "dirty."

So, it's not any of these things.

It's THIS thread. This thread of black women NOT HAVING IT.

Ok, sis.

Keep on with the caping. I see you.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:08pm
Clap

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:14pm
Isn't Kola half Arab?

Isn't she dating a White man?

If she had a child, would her child be considered "Black"?

She cray

I wanted to agree with her completely but I don't think she thought it out thoroughly

Anyhow, I'm not sure why non-Black women would want to share our space with us. They might think the are able to relate to our marginalization but it's not like we can relate to theirs. We have so many issues between ourselves... would embracing them and their struggles hinder ours? Possibly. Is it worth finding out? Judging from history, i'll say Nope

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:17pm
5 stars

regla black/actual black all day long

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:25pm
#StillStandingWithJamilah.

For reference:
Jamilah's article http://www.ebony.com/style/white-women-on-teamnatural-no-thanks-405#axzz36SXUKErl

Nikki's article http://www.curlynikki.com/2014/07/curlynikki-responds-to-ebonycom.html

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:28pm
I can't take this woman seriously...

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:47pm
i sighed reading nikki's response....shes a bhm #newblack

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 6:00pm
She spoke the truth.

Eta: sometimes it's the message and not the messenger that counts.

Posted By: afrikan gal
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 6:09pm
Kola spouting off again, like someone said she does not practice what she preaches, what she does well is to rile up emotions with her rants. 
Jamillah's article was funny, reading her article, i taught Nikki was a white women lol, yes 4c women are underrepresented by the natural community, im not  sure of reasons either due to aesthetics or black women's disinterest. i don't get why Nikki  cant represent black women's  hair in AA community, i taught most AA's were mixture of races? Please educate me if not. Being African my self, i cant relate to hair practices but i'm sure others with similar hair patterns can.
Nikki's response was longggg, so i couldn't read it all, but what i got from the few paragraphs i scanned through i was a lot self righteous spouting, why doesn't she admit she has made alot of her money  and gained popularity through representing a feature of black woman, whom she herself has no full claim over it? instead she talks about inclusion etc....

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 7:15pm
You know, I have mixed feelings about the whole one drop rule being harmful, tbh. Because even though I can see how it can create problems in terms of media representations of blackness and all that, it's African-Americans that came up with the natural hair movement and I don't see how it would have happened any other way. Knowing how the mentality is in the Caribbean, I'm pretty darn sure that there is no way in hell that this movement could have originated from the West Indies. And I'm not too sure about Africa either at this point because there's this whole thing going on where if you are to be viewed as cosmopolitan and sophisticated and all that, you gotta have Kim K weave nearly grazing your butt. It's very much in fashion nowadays to attack this one drop rule thing these days but I feel like people are overlooking the benefits of it. There is a cohesiveness that would have NEVER been attained in the U.S. black community without it. I mean, look how things are going elsewhere in the diaspora in terms of black identity. The whole mulatto elite situation is hardly better. In Haiti, this is what we are dealing with, despite our black revolution.

I know I'm only speaking for myself but it's AA black consciousness that drove me to explore my own blackness as a woman of west indian descent RAISED IN NORTH AMERICA. I'm very much aware of that, all things considered. So even though the one drop rule was borne out of racism and ignorance, there have been some positive effects that came out of it. Now the problem is to find a way around the negative impacts.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 7:18pm
Broken clock is right twice a day......

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 7:24pm
I mean, think about it. In many places in the Caribbean and Latin America, you have light skinned/mulatto individuals that have banded together to create some type of a buffer class that is supposedly "superior" to their darker-skinned counterparts. One drop rule has allowed black americans to avoid all that bullsheit and that's a good thing.

I'm thinking of Haiti, cuba, Brazil (and let's not forget DR!)... Sometimes I think that one drop rule would have done us some good.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 7:26pm
I get what she's saying as well. I understand the problems she's trying to highlight. I just don't think it's that cut and dry.

And further more , wasn't Kola's father an Arab? Does that mean she's not a real black woman, by her own standards? This whole thing can get murky when it's treated in a simplistic manner.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

So you're not Black if you are biracial (one blk parent, one non-blk parent) NO

But if you have 1 biracial parent and 1 blk parent, you can claim Black?  NO

What if you have 2 half-Black biracial parents, are you Black? NO

What if you have 2 Black parents and you look Biracial? NO. Who's Black then? my problem with the reverse one drop rulers is they can't seem to agree on a %...Sleepy

Or is it only if you come out the womb of a non-Black woman that defines you as non-Black?

Someone explain to me how this math works

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 4:08am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

Broken clock is right twice a day......

yeah

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by afrikan gal afrikan gal wrote:

Kola spouting off again, like someone said she does not practice what she preaches, what she does well is to rile up emotions with her rants. 
Jamillah's article was funny, reading her article, i taught Nikki was a white women lol, yes 4c women are underrepresented by the natural community, im not  sure of reasons either due to aesthetics or black women's disinterest. i don't get why Nikki  cant represent black women's  hair in AA community, i taught most AA's were mixture of races? Please educate me if not. Being African my self, i cant relate to hair practices but i'm sure others with similar hair patterns can.
Nikki's response was longggg, so i couldn't read it all, but what i got from the few paragraphs i scanned through i was a lot self righteous spouting, why doesn't she admit she has made alot of her money  and gained popularity through representing a feature of black woman, whom she herself has no full claim over it? instead she talks about inclusion etc....

Our ancestry is not as homogenous due to lighter complected rapists in the blood line. And since rapists are cowards and cowards don't hold themselves accountable, all we know for sure is that we're Black.  American by way of the Motherland and ships. African by race. Not sure if that helps. 

Posted By: juicifruit89
Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 10:34am
Disappointed to hear that CurlyNikki is going in a new direction, off to find other websites that are more relevant.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 10:35am
I never understood the 1/2 white/Anythingreally + 1/2 black (Or even 1/4 black, etc.) = not black thing. At all.

Print Page | Close Window