Print Page | Close Window

What was the neighborhood you grew up in like?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372044
Printed Date: Aug 15 2018 at 2:26pm

Topic: What was the neighborhood you grew up in like?
Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Subject: What was the neighborhood you grew up in like?
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:54pm
What was the racial make up? were the houses big or small or were there only apartments? Were there kids your age you played with? Did you enjoy the enviornment you grew up in? Any stories?

Replies:
Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:58pm
I grew up all over So Cal it seems. I'll reply later. On my phone.

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:59pm
I grew up in the suburbs. 2 story average size house. My neighborhood was very diverse. My best friend was a black chic but we played with the white and spanish kids. come to think of it, I think there was an equal amount of black and white families.

i'm from a military town so i'm sure that makes a difference.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:01pm
Ummm....used to be a lot of white people and old people on my block.
Then the old people moved on and now there are mostly blacks around.
I'd consider my neighborhood a black neighborhood though. 

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:07pm
Black community different size houses mostly big for growing families there were plenty kids had a park near by and snow cones stands...i liked it.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:12pm
it was a city-residential area where buses went by every 10 minutes, train station in walking distance, lots of schools, highway.  parks, schools, and fast food in walking distance.

race on my block from corner to corner:  black, chinese, chinese, black, russian/jewish, filipino, indian, black, then some other type of asian.  every family had been there for at least 30 years with the exception of 1.  all the corner stores also ran by the same family so there is a sense of community even with constant traffic noise and lots of commuters parking there.  the general neighborhood was mainly black and asian in the 90s.  the asians are taking over now and some white families.

the houses were typical San Francisco...mine was on a hill...old, boxy, basically connected, garage on the first floor and living space on the second.  usually the first floor garage has an in law or built on living space.  no front yards.

an example:

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:28pm
On my run today I realized that my direct neighborhood is like 25% black, 25% white, 25% hispanic and 25% asian. Now those are maybe not the exact percentages, but that's how it seems. It's an incredibly average neighborhood with average houses. Stereotypical suburb next to a city. There was only 1 girl I played with when I was young, there are much more kids around now. I live next to a school so there was always a playground to go to, place to practice basketball/baseball/soccer etc.

Ultimately, I think my neighborhood  was too boring. I want my children to grow up in an upper class Black neighborhood with a lot of kids their age.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:32pm
Y'all wouldn't believe me...

I have truly been on opposite sides and I'm so thankful for my diff experiences in life cus it made me diverse as fck and ain't barely any other bitches as we'll rounded as me.
I am an anomaly.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:48pm
I have been in a few traps... I will slap the sht out of you if you get me there... There's not much that'll truly surprise me.. Yet I have been to a few tea parties and I'll act as of I'm above it all until you make me mad enough... Plz don't do me. If you get me there... I am a bit crazy.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:55pm
thinking back to random events my high school days..i was in la. everything was diverse. everyone i hung with was my age. all guys i was the only girl. there was some racial tension for a while... latino vs. blk folks. (in some areas) but i didnt notice until i got much older...other than that the J's were pretty cool..if you could ignore the gang meetings..which was easy to do...then we moved to inglewood. i dont know what dudes always rappin about cause it was the most quiet and peaceful place i had ever lived in. lol. my back street was a freeway (nope wasnt noisy) airport across from there...and the beach on the other side of the airport. i stayed at the beach. lol. we lived across from what looked like a pimp. (he couldve been a choreographer for all i know)...i mean if they wore fur occasionally.

apartments were nice. ours was pretty big. 5 bed 2 bath plus balcony. the library was huge <3
and that covers everything i think.Geek
Inglewood, CA : Randys Donuts famous icon Inglewood and Manchester

cause wonder wanted pics: LOL

you cant see it but i live down the street from here.those trees in the back are covering the freeway which is lower down and you have to cross over...i liked doing that. felt amazing.(this is inglewood) please dont believe the hype about this place and their stale cold donuts. out of the 10 years i lived there...i only went to randys once. 

Posted By: Joja1107
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:56pm
Detroit- nice neighborhood most everyone had 4bd brick homes with fireplaces. The house directly across the street had an inground swimming pool. Not really any apartments around. You may find a 2 family flat or Duplex here or there.  It was all black.....well except a white boy who was adopted by a black family. But we considered him black too.LOL

It's hideous now.....well not hideous but it's pretty bad.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:00pm
First, I lived in the projects. Then, Inglewood (if you've seen the movie The Wood, that's it). Then, spent the rest of it in the neighborhood, around the corner, where the movie Friday was filmed/took place.

So lots of black folk. Lots of kids around generally. A mix of apartments and houses. Still mostly poor/working class. Somewhat dangerous.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:04pm
Similar to Crooklyn.....idk how else to explain it.....lol.....its was fun and hood.....

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:19pm
y'all should post pix too

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:46pm
Ladyice you done posted Randy's. I don't what happened but back in the day...Randy's donuts were the ish. Now, ugh. I used to teach at a school around the corner from there and went to get a doughnut after not having one for years and I was so disappointed.

The newest Roscoe's, the one Obama visited, is just down the street from there now.

You probably remember when they changed the courthouse name to Thurgood Marshall in honor of him after he died. I used to love the library that's next to there.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

What was the racial make up? were the houses big or small or were there only apartments? Were there kids your age you played with? Did you enjoy the enviornment you grew up in? Any stories?

99% black, houses small, i wasnt allowed to play outside cause of Brothas and crack heads, i enjoyed the safety of my living room and my sega.

to many stories

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:50pm
the thing that I loved and hated about my neighborhood was that it was multi generational ...lots of family members living in the house so there were a lot of kids but everyone had those cracked aunties ass uncle's or molester uncle's ...everyone lived in their grandparents house.  It's hard for any independent family to move in.  Avg house sells for $670k.  And these houses all suck, very few have been touched since the original fam moved in. 

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:57pm

Mostly white, but I didn't grow up in the US, so there was never a racial issue. Mostly apartment buildings; I never played with any kids in my neighborhood, and the people in our building disliked us because we were actually very loud, since we were a big family.
I enjoyed my neighborhood because it was clean, had lots of trees, good clean air, safe, mostly families..

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:04pm
My neighborhood was like 60% Hispanic, 30% Jamaican and 10% Blacks. My friends were either Jamaican or Hispanic. Pretty idyllic South Florida neighborhood. 

Nice quiet neighborhood. My grandmother still lives in the same house. 

Everyone got along & all the kids went to each others birthday parties & such. I've never had a white friend.

Lived in an average sized 3/2 house with a nice sized yard. Our grass was/is so lush & green. I loved playing outside. When it rained in the summer & the adults weren't home we would put on shower caps and go playing in the rain.  

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:08pm
I grew up in the hood for the first 10 years of my life. One of the toughest hoods in DC. Lets just say that I have seen people get shot and stabbed right in front of my face. The DC version of paid in full I guess. Almost all of the dudes I knew are dead. Nothing fazes me after some of the things that I have seen. Then I lived in the suburbs in a nice big house with a fenced in yard and a 4 car garage and upper middle class black folks. I appreciate being on both sides of the fence. 

Oh yeah we had a candy lady who was also the bootleg liquor lady. She was my god mother. The ice cream truck sold cigarettesLOL 

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

99% black, houses small, i wasnt allowed to play outside cause of Brothas and crack heads, i enjoyed the safety of my living room and my sega.

to many stories
I wanna hear one.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

Anacostia?

Posted By: BitterSweet85
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:11pm
Mott Haven(projects)-South Bronx (Born here.. lived there until 14yrs old)
Marina Village(projects)-Bridgeport, CT ( went to high school here, moved at 18)

Blacks/Puerto Ricans

Typical ghettos.. Had an equal amount of good and bad times. Anyone who grew up in the hood knos what I mean...

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:15pm

Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

Anacostia?

Close

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:21pm
Black neighborhood.
Big yards with vegetation and a few live stock.
Beautiful landscapes
Community vibe.
We lived on a court and my family lined one side and lifelong neighbors ( close family friends) on the other.
We had potlucks neighborhood parties and community bible and teaching sessions .

Played outside from day clean to dusk . And the moms would pop over and being us lunch and snacks.
Lower Middle class -middle class neighborhood .

I remember the dads gathering all of us to go fishing and learn golf.
Those were really fun trips.

Loved it.
I had a terrific childhood.

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:25pm
Military housing all over the south Pacific and central America. Short time in New jersey..... That was interesting. We were surrounded by all types of culture. In new jersey, it was mostly white. I loved and hated it there.

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:10pm
Between Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and Nawlins, all hoods. You would never guess it if you met me in person though
I have a soft spot for everything Louisiana.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Between Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and Nawlins, all hoods. You would never guess it if you met me in person though

You sound like Lil' Boosie?

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:16pm

Shreveport it's the hood, don't be fooled by the outside

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

You sound like Lil' Boosie?

Hell naw
I'll post a video

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:23pm
All black, middle class yet hood lol

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:26pm
the specific building i lived in wasnt that bad… 

but i went places around the way that were considered bad. 

i think i was trying to find myself… 
i dont regret it though 

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:29pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGG2Y0dzthI&feature=youtube_gdata_player" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGG2Y0dzthI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kind of like this, but not as thick.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:33pm

South BR

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 10:40pm
Pasadena: Mixed neighborhood. Black and Messicans. Mariachi was heard daily. fairly nice. big houses and apts. Park and Library a 20 minute walk up the street. Public pool 5 minute walk. Neighborhood had one "bad" house with a kid named Bucky. He didn't have a chance. He was left on his own a lot. Sadly he was killed by a car speeding down the street. They put in speed bumps after that. Neighborhood started going down hill around the time we moved. I hear now it's one of those gated streets with a curfew.

Alta Dena: beautiful houses. No sidewalks. Quiet. A lot of older people. Only black from what I remember. I was the only child on the street.

Inglewood: Hood as fucc. It was a street with houses and apartments. We lived there maybe 2 years before gramma decided I was not gone get knocked up by one dem nappy headed lil boys or turn into a disrespectful lil bish like some of the girls there. We then moved to...

Pomona:   Decent houses. A nice street a lot of families. Black, white, Thai, Cambodian and messican. I have aight memories of that place. Nothing too bad really.

San Bernardino: See Pomona but with more messicans.

Ontario: Nice houses...more middleclass. More white than anything else at the time. Tho there were some black folks and messicans scattered about. We lived 2 minutes from a Dairy farm so some days the smell in the air was crazy. The cows were cool tho. The looked at you like "don't start nuffin', won't be nuffin'" while slowly chewing and assessing. Everything seemed to be so far tho. U really needed a car. We weren't too far from the park. Not a lot of trees. The pavement would wave with the heat.

Rialto: Gorgeous neighborhood. Houses and apartments. Lots of trees. White,black and messican folks. It had children but it was decent. No craziness. Had a pool in the backyard when we lived here. I loved this place.

Compton: A quiet neighborhood. We lived down the street from Magic Johnson Park...or Magic Johnson's Park...one dem. Black folks. Strip mall around the corner. Various fast food joints. Things went on from what I heard but there was never an incident on my block.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 1:05am
i've lived all over atlanta but this is where i have my most fondest memories. lived here from the time i was like 4 until i was 11 i think.  (not the exact complex but very similar). 

obviously the hood. it was huge. had 2 elementary schools, one high school and one middle school INSIDE the complex. everybody on my street knew each other and pretty much looked out for one another. we had some bougie folks on my street too. 

was known as the war zone. helicopters flying over head all the time, dope boys sealing crack out of funyun bags out the back door, red dogs laid out in the front yard, guns pointed military style, dope boys running down the street telling all the kids to go in the house cause sh*t bout to go down. normal stuff like thatLOL

despite all that, i've mentioned before that my elementary school was rated top 20 or something on itbs tests in the whole state of ga at one time. wouldn't trade the time for nothing in the world. 

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 10:54am
I grew up in Southside Jamaica Queens.

Everyone was black but quite multicultural - West Indians from all over, African Americans, Africans, etc.

There were tons of kids and I was always interacting with those my age.

I lived in an apartment, but spent most of my time at my moms friend's house - pretty small. played on the concrete and stoops. Great memories.

Very much like Crooklyn if you've ever seen it.

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 3:46pm
Crown Heights brooklyn, New york. Mostly carribeans and very few latinos. Apartments usually no more than 8 floors high. Very lively, we were next to eastern parkway so there were buses and trains and alot of cars. Alot of schools, Brooklyn schools arent as wide because of lack of space but they were usually 5 floors high. There were other haitian kids in our building so we played alot and went to each others houses to play video games. Library was two blocks away so when we were bored we went there and used the computers. Lincoln Terrance park was 2-3 block away but our parents rarely let us go there for fear of gang violence. There were alot of shops on Utica ave, usually carribean goods stores. Chinese food store and a corner store was freaking connecting to my building but we rarely ordered, i didnt realize the glory of that until i was olderCry. I lived on president and Schenectady and my school was ps 161 around Kingston ave. I could have walked there but my parent wouldnt let me so i was dropped of and picked up. I loved all my schools really. Ps 161 was like 95% carribeans from the teachers to the students. the other 5% was latino. It was a large school with a huge play ground. Good memories, no really bad kids we were all still innocentEmbarrassedLOL.
I moved when i was 10 to east new york brooklyn to brand new built brownstone houses. The neighborhood was very nice, no thugs, not many cars though we lived by a highway, people rarely even walked down our street. not many schools around though and one park. werent any other kids. we were next to only the 3 train and a few buses.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 3:54pm
when i was younger i didnt really go outside.. i had hella extracurriculars.  

but as i got a little older i did. 

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 4:05pm

What was the racial make up? 
black, with a smattering of coolies here and there

were the houses big or small or were there only apartments?
both

Were there kids your age you played with? 
Plenty

Did you enjoy the enviornment you grew up in? 
oh yes

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Ladyice you done posted Randy's. I don't what happened but back in the day...Randy's donuts were the ish. Now, ugh. I used to teach at a school around the corner from there and went to get a doughnut after not having one for years and I was so disappointed.

The newest Roscoe's, the one Obama visited, is just down the street from there now.

You probably remember when they changed the courthouse name to Thurgood Marshall in honor of him after he died. I used to love the library that's next to there.

yes thats the library i went to. i loooooooved it. i skipped there almost everydayLOL i'll take your word on randysConfused
Shockedive never been to roscoesShocked

Print Page | Close Window