Print Page | Close Window

Google:Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372014
Printed Date: Sep 19 2019 at 10:19pm

Topic: Google:Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Google:Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 1:56pm

Tech More: Google Women Women in tech Gender Equality
Google Is Offering Free Coding Lessons To Women And Minorities

Dave Smith

Avni Shah, Google's director of product management, speaks to the crowd at the 2014 I/O developers conference.

Google is offering vouchers to any women and minorities interested in learning how to code, CNET's Seth Rosenblatt reports.

In a blog post from Gregg Pollack, CEO of the Code School, Google is paying for three free months for any women and minorities interested in tech to expand their skills.

While Google is also offering the same vouchers to the women in attendance at its annual I/O developers conference this week, the search giant has released an online application that’s available to women everywhere. Google says its available vouchers for women number in the “thousands.”

This new initiative comes just days after Google published a diversity report that revealed only 30% of its employees are women, while African-Americans and Hispanics only comprised 1 and 2% of Google’s tech employees, respectively. Google said the current state of its company diversity is “miles from where we want to be.”

Google did say at its I/O keynote, however, that there were twice as many women in attendance compared to last year.

The search giant also recently launched its $50 million “Made With Code” initiative, which aims to help close the gender gap in tech. (That particular enterprise is unrelated to the Code School vouchers.)

Outside of Google, the Labor Department says only 20% of software developers in the U.S. are women, while only 12% of computer science degrees today go to women.

Megan Smith, vice president of Google’s X division, said the company’s initiative to encouraging women in tech is all about “debugging inclusion.”

“We shouldn’t feel guilty about our biases,” Smith said. “We should wake up and do something about them.”

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/google-free-coding-lessons-to-women-2014-6#ixzz36L4Abc38

Replies:
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 2:02pm
application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hVfdHMoIphbL3x2fMTjW532zS_B2aojA5ifefZlG8YQ/viewform" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hVfdHMoIphbL3x2fMTjW532zS_B2aojA5ifefZlG8YQ/viewform

In the chance that you are not selected to participate in this learning opportunity, we encourage you to check out the free content available at: https://www.codeschool.com/courses#all" rel="nofollow - https://www.codeschool.com/courses#all

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 2:11pm
posted this in your recent coding thread lol

Thumbs Up

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 2:11pm
I'm a woman and a minority!! I went ahead and and submitted a form.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 2:51pm
Let me in Google.

Im going to apply as soon as I hit the door

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 2:56pm
sweet!!

Posted By: MissDarkEyes
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:20pm
Nice!  Is anyone reading the BI comments?  This whole Angry White Male "movement" is starting to get old and tired. 

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:26pm
That's awesome.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:33pm
SO HERE FOR THIS

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:42pm
I signed the hell up! Pick me, Google!

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:11pm
I have a question (that I also will be asking my friend that is a Google mgmt level engineer that I will see next week):

*Is this free coding lesson advantageous to person that is not in the tech field?

*If the average person that is not in tech completes the free coding lessons, then what is the next step? Will they likely be able to create apps that they can potentially sell on iTunes? Will the lessons make job opportunities open up for them? Or is this program pretty much for people that are already in the STEM field?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I have a question (that I also will be asking my friend that is a Google mgmt level engineer that I will see next week):

*Is this free coding lesson advantageous to person that is not in the tech field?

*If the average person that is not in tech completes the free coding lessons, then what is the next step? Will they likely be able to create apps that they can potentially sell on iTunes? Will the lessons make job opportunities open up for them? Or is this program pretty much for people that are already in the STEM field?

Please advise.

Thanks!

this is what I would like to know as well... 

I would want to know if someone start their own business doing this..

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:49pm
awwwsssome

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 4:49pm
ETA: I highly doubt these are for people already in the stem field. They seem to be for people who want to be web developers (so like websites, phone apps, and computer apps)

Copied from reddit:

I would personally recommend (if you are a beginner) to begin learning a single language on Treehouse (as it is focused on beginner learning) and then sign up at Code School and go through the courses on the same language. Code School is focused on the Intermediate-Experienced developer.

After you learn one language I would suggest doing the Git Courses at CS.

If you are just getting started I'd recommend learning HTML/CSS first as it is the most basic web language. Then Javascript/JQUERY, which is used on something like 97% of all websites. Then you can learn Ruby which is more advanced, but will get you a significantly higher paying job and you'll learn to do some pretty awesome things.

I've also read many success stories of individuals who have started with Codecademy and treehouse, then went on to use Code School. Ultimately if you want to be successful you need to practice continually and learn from many different sources.

|* I am an employee at Code School *|

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:29pm
Microsoft has a nice website with videos that teach you how to code.
They also have video training for their certs.
All the information is out there and free if you really want to learn. 

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 12:24pm
I know nothing about tech. it would be so amazing to be included in something like this- its like learning how to read for the first time! Thanks for posting this

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 12:47pm
only in america?

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Lilaca Lilaca wrote:

only in america?

No its worldwide

thanks cr! i downloaded an app 'cause of tatee's post the other weekStar

Posted By: DixieDarlin
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:37pm
As a black woman who's majoring in computer science, this would help me tremendously.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:38pm
If you guys want to learn other form of coding, such as Java, Python, Ruby on Red, etc, there's also code academy.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:42pm
I don't think they teach Java on Codecademy. I would would be so happy if they didOuch

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:44pm
Yes it's javascript. 

Java is kinda similar though....and once you learn Java, C# will be easy to learn....and if you learn C#, VB is easy to learn. 

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:52pm
Oh yeah, my bad it is Javascript... learnjavaonline teaches Java.

You usually start out with Visual Basic, since it's a beginner language and it's pretty easy. So is Python. Java gives me headaches.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:06pm
This isn't such a hot topic hmmm

Let's post the starting, intermediate and experienced salaries 

.... beats low pay and no additional student loans

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:09pm
Darlin, what do you want to do with your degree?

For anyone what programming languages do you think would be beneficial if one is interested in machine learning?

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:15pm
I feel like if you learn the logic they're all pretty easy to learn.
I found myself turning C++ code into VB one day and I don't even know C++.

And CR I googled....apparently Python. I see "R" and MATLAB....I don't even know what that is tbh. I also see Java/C and SQL.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:22pm
Ok that doesn't seem too bad. Does your job involve coding?

I've played around in R (but Im better in SAS because I took the class). They are both statistical programming languages, but R is free. and Im a damn near pro in matlab (hardest language ever doe). And Im taking C next semester, so I think I'll be ok. The problem with coding is that I can do ok in a class and still feel like I don't know sh*t about the language.

Every time im interviewed Im asked if I know SQL (I don't), and I'm pretty sure that's why I can't get an internship to save my life. We have no classes on it in my school.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:26pm
What do you recommend for someone interested in management information systems?

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Ok that doesn't seem too bad. Does your job involve coding?

I've played around in R (but Im better in SAS because I took the class). They are both statistical programming languages, but R is free. and Im a damn near pro in matlab (hardest language ever doe). And Im taking C next semester, so I think I'll be ok. The problem with coding is that I can do ok in a class and still feel like I don't know sh*t about the language.

Every time im interviewed Im asked if I know SQL (I don't), and I'm pretty sure that's why I can't get an internship to save my life. We have no classes on it in my school.

Learn it.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/" rel="nofollow - http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:06pm
Thanks sang. the summer is the perfect time honestly. I need to stop procrastinating. 

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Im looking at college programs in this MIS for you. Most of the colleges have classes in Access, Oracle, MS SQL Server, SQL, Java, Visual Basic, JavaScript, XML. What do you want to do specifically? Because it seems there are many sub-categories to this.

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 12:50pm
Did anyone apply and get selected for this. Emails were sent today.

Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 1:01pm
deniedThumbs Down

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 1:07pm
Denied as well.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 1:49pm

Code School Learning Opportunity

Thank you for your interest in learning with Google. Due to high demand we are no longer accepting applications. Please join the Women Techmakers newsletter at  http://g.co/WomenTechmakers" rel="nofollow - g.co/WomenTechmakers  to stay updated about the community and learning opportunities.

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 2:08pm
Yeah, I got the same email. Hopefully someone on here may have been accepted.

Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 2:22pm
I got denied, but I got a free 2-day pass to something or other...

Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 2:24pm
I went to a Powershell course the other day, figured I'd take advantage of other free opportunities. There are a lot out there.

I learned a little about Powershell but I learned a LOT about how powerful tech heads are. All the stuff you see in the movies is true! And not necessarily on a high level either.

These dudes detailed step by step how they hang out at Sbux and look at people's FB pages and other personal info. I won't share it here but it's actually relatively easy to be all up in people's stuff on an unsecured network. Confused

Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Originally posted by Miss B Miss B wrote:

Im looking at college programs in this MIS for you. Most of the colleges have classes in Access, Oracle, MS SQL Server, SQL, Java, Visual Basic, JavaScript, XML. What do you want to do specifically? Because it seems there are many sub-categories to this.

Do you know a lot about MIS? I may PM you. Honestly I'm still figuring all of that out.

Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 2:41pm
No, Im honestly I dont know very much. LOL

Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Jul 23 2014 at 6:21pm
i got denied

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jul 24 2014 at 11:49pm
Same here.

Date Posted: Jul 25 2014 at 8:26am
Them fuckers rejected me smh

Posted By: 4shopiece
Date Posted: Jul 25 2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

Them fuckers rejected me smh

I got rejected as well and I really feel some kind of way about it LOL
however, the rejection email did include links to a lot of sites that I will check out when I have the time

*I am not able to post without replying directly to someone , why is this site so glitchy

Date Posted: Jul 31 2014 at 10:06am
http://lifehacker.com/learn-linux-with-this-free-edx-course-from-the-linux-fo-1612770920?utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_facebook&utm_source=lifehacker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow" rel="nofollow - Learn Linux: free edx course

Print Page | Close Window