Print Page | Close Window

Hair Stretching techniques for growth

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Growth
Forum Description: Hair Growth issues, solutions, and discussions.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=372011
Printed Date: Dec 13 2017 at 11:52am

Topic: Hair Stretching techniques for growth
Posted By: LadyAradia
Subject: Hair Stretching techniques for growth
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:22am
A few of us have been talking about good ways to stretch by African threading, banding etc for length retention and low manipulation ease of styling. Let's post  our thoughts, updates and techniques here!

I found this video really helpful as a starting point. Note she mentions you can use kanekalon hair and that her technique covers the strand from root to tips with no gaps

Then this techniques shows how to do a round 2 for further stretching. I do not like how she leaves big gaps not wrapped.

I think if the little girl's hair is oiled, then braided in at least 2 large braids every night and tied down with a scarf sleekly every night  it will help to maintain it.
Then I suggested using elastic bands the length of head bands to wrap root to tip but it came up that theyre bulky

It will be interesting to see how it works for everyone and if the cwk  straight plates work well or not. 
How's everyone's stretching going? Is it helping you to do better twist outs, etc? Fewer ssk  and hair loss? Any hints and tips? How about maintenance... and tips for best upkeep and dealing with humidity?

Replies:
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 10:48am
Another technique I came across online was heat training. Apparently Longhairdontcare used it successfully and had butt length hair.  I believe Longhairdontcare went from like a 4c  to a 3c/4a with regular heat training.

This video shows her doing a root touchup with heat training at 450 degrees. (for fine hair she says as low as like 350 degrees.) She does 20 passes with a heat protectant. She say it takes 4 sessions like that to make each area of hair her desired looseness.
It would be good to do a protein and oil treatment before and use a good heat protectant.
I am certain heat training once or twice a month is much better for the hair than using chemicals. 
You do not continue to heat train the hair at that high temperature once you've reached the desired effect! Once you have trained that hair you  only use the lowest heat to style in subsequent weeks or you go no heat once you've gotten the desired effects and just condition the hair. You only then work on the roots that come out like she did above as the roots grow out every month. Remember it takes about. 4 seperate sessions of heat training on the hair to loosen it

PS I did heat train my hair last night with coconut oil and heat protectant. Today I am doing the coconut milk/lemon juice prepoo for a couple hours and then cowashing. It will be interesting to see how my texture reacts  WITH NO CHEMICALS!   Smile 

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:05am
Stretched hair easiler manipulate that's why i like it seem like less breakage before styling...french braids use to be my go to but im loving the headbands no dents just elongated hair.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 11:34am

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 3:50pm
Thanks for opening this thread.
I was thinking we were crowding the other daily thread.

I an still liking my hair with the threading.   It is very loose now, but I am holding the sections with stretch bands.
Very determined to hold out until the weekend
Hope it does not create tangles.

Really need to do adequate protein treatments though.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 5:28pm
Spent more than 10 hrs on YT yesterday looking different styles/types of threading and locking.   Still undecided, but will really like to do something that will last longer than a few days.

I also realized that I threaded my hair when it was wet rather than waiting for it to dry.   Not sure if that was why the thread slipped.

Thinking of taking out the current thread tonight, and do a proper treatment on my hair over the next 2 days and rethread.

Hope everyone have a Happy & Safe Holiday Weekend

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 5:37pm
Oh wow, please share with us anything interesting that you learned from those videos Benni

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:16pm
I just like using braids for stretching. I used the blow dryer yesterday but I won't do that often since it takes too much time and hurts my arm.

I do want to try banding though.

I'll come back with my maintenance routine for my stretched hair when I completely figure it out lol

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by LadyAradia LadyAradia wrote:

Oh wow, please share with us anything interesting that you learned from those videos Benni

Sure, I try to weed out the worthwhile ones and post the links.

My mind is open to using hair rather that thread, but still a little concerned about the bulk.

Using the hair (temporary locs) will allow me to keep them in for about 2 months, instead of the weekly threading.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:54pm
double post

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 6:58pm
Forgot my yarn will get it soon...keeping in flat twist up-do till i do.

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:16pm
Took the threads out, and surprisingly they just slipped out without my having to use scissors, which was one of my concerns.

My hair feels moisturized which is a plus, but silly me was enthused because the threads came out intact which means they can be reused.

Can't hide being frugal

Wonder if the hair will be reusable also Y:]

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 11:40pm
Temporary Loc Extensions {Marley & Kanekalon hair}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bzHWuhmns

Sorry I cannot post the Videos just links.

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 12:04am
Wish I could do better with these links. Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvf4VOftDvk&index=37&list=WL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bzHWuhmns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADeypCUgeC8

Date Posted: Jul 04 2014 at 11:25am
I wished the braiding hair could be just wrapped around real hair guessing for thickness purposes it wouldn't work.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 1:15pm
Here are photos of hair that has been heat trained for looser or more manageable curls

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=332853

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=332853

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztCrQUFsWGI

So heat training (or heat damage LOL) can produce some very beautiful curls on natural hair.  Also, it can leave you with a texture that is smooth enough to roller set and wrap without the use of chemicals or even further heat styling on a regular basis. Heat trained hair (thermalaxed hair) also looks great just air dried with curl moisturizers like Care Free Curl. But heat training must be done judiciously to maintain the "health" of the hair and to achieve and maintain a fairly consistent curl pattern from root to tip. " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQWevI4euo" rel="nofollow - My Beauty Marc " on youtube lays out an excellent plan for achieving and  maintaining thermalaxed hair.

I have done one session of flat iron heat training now and will do hot oils and protein treatments then reevaluate if I want more sessions of it or can switch over to no heat until time to treat only my new growth. This first session consisted of 20 passes on each strand at a max temp of like 390 degrees or less. MyBeautyMarc has a tighter texture than me and she did 20 passes at 450 degrees. She also required FOUR of such sessions to produce her desired results.
One thing is for sure,  heat training has turned out to be my solution to the humidity that makes my hair revert during Summer Smile

PS: The reasons one might do this are for: length retention,  less shrinkage, less reversion during humidity, easy detangling sessions, less hair loss from detangling, fewer single strand knots,  generally lower manipulation natural hair, an incredibly easy way of giving up relaxers, many more styling options and much easier styling. Furthermore, this may enable one to do wash n goes that were more challenging with non termalaxed hair due to shrinkage. Best of all, you need no products, you only need a flat iron and you are still chemical free!

Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 4:21pm
Semi-stretching with 2 braids.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 7:15pm
Hello ladies. Hope you had a wonderful Holiday.

I threaded my hair again today, but instead of the 7 sections I did last week, I did 19 this today.
Paid more attention to the spacing of the thread.
Hope it last more than 5 days this time.

Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 7:57pm
Good luck with it Benni!

Date Posted: Jul 05 2014 at 8:00pm

Good luck with it Benni!

Thank You   

Date Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 2:42am
Tips on how to transition from relaxed hair to heat trained "natural" hair

Stretch the time between relaxers to about 4 months so that you have sufficient new growth to heat train
Once you have a good amount of new growth do the 20 pass new growth only technique as shown in this video using temperature of 410 or greater with a heat protectant..

Repeat same procedure on new growth only at wash day until desired looseness of new growth is achieved. The same technique may be used on previously heat trained hair to touch up the new growth. My Beauty Marc finds that she requires about four treatments  to produce her desired effect on 4a/b hair. You may require more or less for your tastes.

To style the length of the hair that is already looser texture, do not use high temperature of 410 or greater. Use a very low temperature on already loose ends of around 320 degrees or less with a heat protectant as shown in this video such as to not end up with straight tips or breakage. Also, use only one or so passes also on already loose ends for the same reason. You may just set the ends on rollers with dry hair,  do braid outs, or wraps instead of using heat at all on the ends during this time of new growth treatment

Once you have done the heat training, you may desire to switch to NO heat styling techniques like roller sets and wraps or braid outs until time to heat train your new growth only again. During this time, pamper the hair.
Condition the hair with regular hot oils, hydrolyzed  protein and leave in oils to moisturize and seal.

There is no reason to ever chop your relaxed ends. Just simply always pamper and condition well all of your hair.

Date Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 9:56am
HEAT TRAINING UPDATE on 3b hair

I co washed today and did and aphogee 2 min and hot olive oil that was infused with onion and garlic then kanechom ceramide conditioner.

Where I did 20 passes in the 2 front quadrants, my hair hair  dries more elongated. So it loosened just a tiny bit with this 20 pass session.
where I did 10 passes on the top of the back quadrants the hair looks the same or maybe only very slightly loosened
where  I did 5 passes on the baby fine hair at my nape, the hair remained the same also. 
So, all in all I think this is what I wanted and I will not need to do any more heat training sessions. I will only do protein and hot oil treatments from now on.
My hair still looks curly but just a bit more elongated around the face. The hair also will probably frizz less around the face but be able to wear curls in the back. Just what I wanted. My fine, color treated 3b hair responded OK to one 20 pass session.
I was mainly looking for humidity and shrinkage relief so this is probably enough for me. Type 4 hair will need FOUR sessions at 410-450 according to My Beauty Marc.
I will give more feedback once the hair is dry and also later in the month.
How are you ladies doing with threading??? 
Enquiring minds want to know!

PS  The subtle elongation I got from this was just enough for me to actually LIKE the effect of a wash n go where as  I did not previously. I just round brushed the face framing lengths into feathers at the front and left the rest to air dry! I LOVE IT. Before it would have shrunken just a tiny bit too much for my tastes. I may do another session in a week or 2 after I do some more protein and oil DCs.

Curiously, African Export on youtube said the same thing. She said after her heat session she actually liked a wash n go where as she didn't before.

PS To put this in perspective. many white women flat iron their hair daily. I have only flat ironed mine once.
When the hair air dried past damp to moist, I brushed it flat with a bristle brush, the curl had been weakened to the pont that it remained straight with only slight 2c to 3a curls forming on the ends. it finished air drying that way and looked like body wave weave hair when dry. Before this treatment it looked like water wave weave naturally when air dried. So the curls are still there but can easily be knocked out after this first treatment to dry in a larger state if brushed smoothly while drying. Certainly, if I did another session of this, I would not have to brush the curls smoothly, rather I might have to scrunch them to keep a bit of curl

Date Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 1:23pm
My scalp was a bit sensitive after the threading.   I was more cautious during sleep because I did not want to pull hairs from my scalp.   
Not that they were tight, but because I am so aware that I don't have much, and did not want to lose anymore
At this time I am not sure I would do this many braids again, maybe they will last longer than the thicker braids, but I will take my chances and just do them larger.

Date Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 2:08pm
braids? did you actually braid the hair inside the threading Benni?

Date Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 2:20pm

braids? did you actually braid the hair inside the threading Benni?

No, not actual braids.

I did not even realize that was how I referred to them.

Posted By: SwaggerSoChic
Date Posted: Jul 06 2014 at 10:05pm
ohhhhhhhh! Tongue Now I want some faux locs. That might be on the menu instead of box braids 

Date Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 2:33pm
Well I had to do some work outside today and my hair was getting wet with perspiration. It stayed like a body wave. It did not frizz at all for a change, rather it hung limp LOL It still feels good but I am going to condition it like I am going crazy now. I have achieved a loose enough curl pattern with just ONE real FLAT ironing session in about two years. Not many people can say that they have only flat ironed their hair once in two years by the way. Some people were jumping on me about flat ironing this time but then I had to remind them just how often they've used their flat irons over the last two years compared to my one power session.

But I am finished with heat training for now. I will just do air dries, roller sets and wraps again.... and of course protein conditioners, hot oils, and deep conditioners like my life depends on it.  All in all, I would definitely say that heat training with My Beauty Marc 's technique on youtube is far better than relaxing, even when you do the full four separate 20 pass sessions imo.

Date Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 8:07pm
Some of the threading is already loose.

I had to re-thread a few of them today.

I am developing a likeness for the Havana twists.

Looks like I may have to grow a 'pair' and just do it

Date Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 9:48pm
Benni try doing them a little tighter at the roots.

Date Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

Benni try doing them a little tighter at the roots.

I tried doing that rell but they still slide down.

I have lost a lot of the bulk of my hair, first in '10 ten '13.
During that time I will just stand under the sprayer of the shower and hair was just falling out in clumps.

This time with the threading I really felt the sensitivity/soreness on my scalp. Maybe it's because it was sectioned smaller...IDK

But I know that styling my hair sectioned and contained is working so much better for me as far as maintenance goes, I really like it.

Still researching to see what will work out best for long term, maybe every month or two before having to redo.

Date Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 5:36am
I know your hair is thin as you have said, what curl pattern do you have, is it also fine ? Things also slide on my hair. Also, maybe your hair is too delicate for the threading? Tell me more so I can understand please.
If you are looking for some way simple to put your hair up for 2 months, maybe just braids under a wig or 1/2 wig? cornrows under a wig? When I did Senegalese twists, I did find mine slipping every few days and I was redoing a section every week. I didnt complain about it because I knew it would happen with my thin hair. It just is. So if you do the Havana twists, be prepared to twist some almost daily for upkeep if your hair is thin or fine. Also, the weight on your follicles might not be good if your hair is already delicate. The cornrows under a wig is sounding pretty good for your situation.

Benni, did you ever figure out why your hair fell out in clumps in 2010 and 2013?

Date Posted: Jul 08 2014 at 5:24pm
The best I can remember during those times is that I had taken trips, and applied heat to my hair prior.

My curl pattern    I have mostly 3b, and 3c at the crown.

I can do corn rows but doing it myself is pitiful . I cannot have anyone else do it for my for fear they will be done too tight.

I will keep looking into other options, but in the mean while I will just deal with it the best I can. I do know that my hair grows best when ignored.

For now I have bundled the threaded sections with stretch bands and they are staying put. This is day-4, so I am doing better than I did last week

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:13pm
I removed threads this morning, it was a bit more time consuming than last week, and scissors were required .

I did not finger comb/detangle,   it did not seem to be necessary.
I spritzed with moisturizer and placed in a bun.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 4:35pm
Did a test stand with yarn...it came out great takes alot longer but i love results...need to do them loser at the roots cause i feel my hair pulling.

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 5:56pm
^^^^    

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 6:27pm
Think i'm going to do about 10...4 not going to get it...the roots seemed puffy....will do my whole head when it dries.   

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 6:48pm
Wow, it seems like you ladies have taken to this like fish to water!
Congratulations on your successes!

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 8:50pm
   Maybe it's a Summertime thing.
The daily care does get tedious, and while caring for the hair we seem to put a lot od wear and tear on it.

My hair needs partial hibernation

Date Posted: Jul 09 2014 at 9:22pm
Like Benni my hair needs a break.

It's easier than any other protective style i want to try.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 1:41pm
Will not thread for a few days because I am doing my 2nd Cycle of Inversion.   That 4-5 mins of massaging will just undo that threading immediately .

I will "invert" for the 7-days and keep my hair in 2-strand twists and baggy .

Not quite sure what exactly I am getting from the inversion, but I will give it at least 4-Cycles to find out.

Good Luck with your Yarn Braids rell85

How are things going for you Aradia

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 2:54pm
Glad to hear all is well Benni. I am just conditioning, oiling and bunning to strengthen my hair after the heat session I did. Trying  not to do much to it other than that right now.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 3:34pm
Thanks, Benni

I threaded last nite did 10...took me 2 hours...i had to tie the ends they kept coming a lose...they're flexible...i had no problems sleeping...they fit under a wig nicely...i wore them out though cause i had pinned them up when i finished.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 7:10pm
rell85 good to know you can do 10-Yarn Braids and still wear your wig.   It gives me hope because everyone has more hair than I do .

Aradia I just remembered something I used on my scalp 4 years ago that caused blistering and scabbing.    It is called PROVILLUS.   I was always on a quest for thicker hair

It really damaged my hair line which is a struggle for me to regrow.

It is slowly coming back, but I must always be careful when I Henna.

I must avoid getting Henna on my scalp in two spots along my hair line, or after the application there will be no hair there.

I know it has nothing to do with the brand of Henna.   I am just flakey that way.... Super sensitive

Date Posted: Jul 10 2014 at 8:15pm
Benni if my hair was longer i could get away with 4...im bsl...my front doesn't reach all the way to back so i have to tuck the first one in the second.

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 4:54am
Thanks for the story Benni. Thank God, i am not showing any negative effects at all from my heat session. (knoock on wood) I am just doing the oils andd the aphogee as a preventative measure. All seems good (knocks on wood again).
PS Besideds, I took a calculated risk. I did the most passes w the flat iron ONLY in the front triangle between the crown and top of the ears. This would affect only the short layers in the front/top of the hair. I did very few passes on the back of the head where the length is. The front of the head with all the passes is doing fine too due to my babying it (knocks on wood )
My Braggs Liquid Aminos should be here in a few days and I can begin round 2 of my pampering my hair with liquid aminos, oil, eggs, knox gelatin and mayo

I am considering doing a round 3 of pampering with casia obovata, oil and conditioner glaze (blonde "henna") The coating would serve to further strengthen the strands against environmental stresses.

I view length retention sort of like preserving fossils or relics

Date Posted: Jul 11 2014 at 1:15pm
Good Luck to you both    

"I view length retention sort of like preserving fossils or relics"    
I know what you mean.   It seem to come so easy, retaining it is the problem even though we do all the necessary things. Hope.....    

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 1:49pm

Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

Good Luck to you both     

"I view length retention sort of like preserving fossils or relics"     
I know what you mean.   It seem to come so easy, retaining it is the problem even though we do all the necessary things. Hope.....     

Yeah Benni, keeping mine oiled with coconut oil almost 24/7 is a huge part of that preservation for me. Also keeping it stretched to avoid knots and tangles that lead to breakage. protectively wrapping it up too is a big one for me. So I basically keep it wrapped up sopping in oil LOL
Last night I co washed and let it air dry. I looked like Diana Ross bc it dried so big LOL 
Today I am allowing myself one day of it loose since it is so fluffy. Tomorrow, back to oiled and wrapped up again LOL

What are you ladies doing to the hair at night to retain the  stretch when you are not threaded? How's it holding up and lasting?

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 3:26pm
I don't thread for the stretch effect since I do not usually wear my hair out just yet

I am doing it mostly to keep it contained so that I don't have to manipulate it daily even though I spritz and massage often...Doesn't make much sense now that I see it in print    

Date Posted: Jul 12 2014 at 7:23pm
Wish i didn't have an oily scalp...i can feel the oil already...only thing helps it is my sulfur mix...i can assess my scalp but don't feel like smelling sulfur...guess I'll moisturize tomorrow or monday.

Date Posted: Jul 13 2014 at 3:17pm
Oiled my scalp with coconut oil seems to be helping...still getting use to the idea of my hair not out.

Date Posted: Jul 14 2014 at 5:16pm
Removed my threads this morning to wash and condition.

This last time I braided the thread with my hair.   It lasted a bit longer even with the 4-5 min massages

Removing it was time consuming, but a tiny bit of conditioner on each braid helped to make it a lot easier.

Not sure if I will re-do them later .   I have 2 days left to do inversion.

Date Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 1:11pm
So I finally got to see my hair stretched, looks really nice and I did not have to use heat

Threaded again last night...Hope this is not an addiction

Date Posted: Jul 15 2014 at 5:41pm
Been wearing my threads out just bunning them...in the wig with pins was too much tension.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 2:38pm
Last day of Inversion for me. I want so badly to remove the threads and Co-wash, but then I think I will be defeating the purpose of my threading.

Maybe I will just Co-wash with the threads and see how that works out.

Date Posted: Jul 16 2014 at 3:55pm
Took threads out...hair was in super moisturized...not sure if I'll put them back in since sunday is the start of my inversion...if i do put them on it'll be Thursday night.

Date Posted: Jul 26 2014 at 3:18pm
Well ladies, I have done it! I did a real hair stretching technique... a Brazilian Keratin Treatment called UNCURLY  from  http://www.uncurly.com/" rel="nofollow - www.uncurly.com
It was super easy to do. I had to shampoo my hair with their clarifying shampoo first.
Then I put the keratin lotion in my hair and let it sit for 20 minutes
Then I blow dried it in the hair and flat ironed the hair... simple. The hair will obviously feel coated until you wash it out 3 days later bc you blow dried and flat ironed something like a keratin conditioner in the hair.
I've had to keep my hair straight and dry for the past 3 days so it could cure in the hair. 

Basically what I did was flat iron keratin in my hair so that the heat from the flat iron supposedly made the keratin coat and infuse in each strand. It is supposed to fill all the weak spots of any damage on each strand and make each strand stronger. It is also supposed to make the curl up to about 2 letters looser. So if you are a 3c it will make it about a  3a (from c to a) If you are a 4b it would make your hair like a 3c approximately. However, the results are affected by many factors. Firstly, some brands work better and last longer than others.  Also, if you don't put enough on your hair it won't loosen much. If you do too few passes with the flat iron or use too low a heat it won't do much to the hair either. They recommend 4-10 passes at 450 but you can do less if you want. Also how long you keep the hair straight and dry before the first shampoo effects it . If you wait only 1 day before you rinse the keratin out you will have very little texture change, whereas if you wait the whole 3 days or even a week before you rinse the keratin out of the flat ironed hair it will supposedly last longer and reap looser curls. Ideally, I would like it STRAIGHT. Since obviously it will not straighten that much the first time, I would really  be happy with 2c like Chilli of TLC. I will probably just get 3a. I think I will be somewhere between 3a and straight since I had 3bc hair... either one will be fine for real. The average lady with type 4 hair can expect to get into the 3s if they do it right with a good product. Being in the 3s with humidity resistance will allow you to do wash n goes for curly and even roller wrap for straight with no heat!

In addition to making the curls about 2 letters looser, the hair is supposed to be totally  resistant to humidity and obviously have less shrinkage. If you blow dry or flat iron your hair it supposedly much faster and lasts longer with no reversion in bad weather or when sweating. That is the main reason I did it. I also really like the idea of it coating the hair with keratin to make it look shiny without any oil, you need less oil and styling aids to get even better results, and the hair is supposed to be STRENGTHENED by the keratin coating for more length retention. The more you shampoo the hair, the more the keratin coating wears off and the hair reverts. Some brands last 2 weeks, my brand is supposed to last 3-5 months if you do it right.  After it wears off your hair supposedly  in 3-5 months your hair supposedly gradually goes back to natural.  So there is no line of demarcation as it grows out like with a relaxer, rather the whole head just gradually reverts back to where you started. They make a lot of claims. I will tell you honestly how it delivers on each and every one of these claims over the next few months.

So theoretically, since I was a 3b/c I should be at least a 3a after I wet my hair again the first time 3 days after applying it.  I will probably cowash for the first time tomorrow for my big reveal of my initial results. I am so excited.  They make formaldehyde free formulas that bond the keratin to the hair with something like glycerin, propylene glycol or something else but they don't work very well. The brand I used does have formaldehyde in it so I had to have a fan blowing at my face and I did this in a room with the windows open.  I am hoping this works out for   me because it really seems like an answer to my prayers..
Question though, since it is supposed to wear out of my hair and leave it totally natural again in 3-5 months, do I  still call myself  natural now or do I have to wait until it wears out to call myself natural again. LOL  Embarrassed
I will update any results. I hope it does something good to my hair. LOL

PS I found out that a WHOLE LOT of people were following the curly girl method because they thought that following that method would loosen their texture so they would have curls. They basically thought the cg method would be like a texturizer or texlax treatment for the hair. (Ironically, the White women were thinking the opposite. They thought cg method would tighten their straight hair and give them some curl Ouch)  No the curly girl method does not do that but the UNCURLY girl method might Wink Brazilian Keratin Treatments like UNCURLY  are  like texturizers or  texlax  that works without the usual chemicals. Where as a relaxer WEAKENS the hair by removing keratin and weakening bonds, the keratin treatment actually strengthens the hair and adds keratin.

Posted By: luvmybiga$$fro
Date Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 12:49pm
Hey Ladies! I was reading through the thread and you all seem to be having really good results with the various stretching practices. I hope it continues for y'all!

Although I'm WL, my Cleo can shrink to EL. So, I have a love - hate relationship with shrinkage.i get frustrated at times bc my true length is only shown when straight(although she shrinks whilst straight too). I'm not ready for a more permanent solution so I stretch Cleo by bunning. I split Cleo down the middle, M&S each section, and bun. I usually wear Cleo like this for two days so she can fully dry. Then, I take down each bun, brush with my paddle brush and put her in a ballerina bun. The result is really stretched hair. It almost looks like I have her a medium blow out and touched her up with a light hot comb. Keeps the tangles and ssk's down.

Date Posted: Jul 27 2014 at 2:44pm
Congratulations Luv! I am so glad to hear it is working great for you.   I got a look at my stretched hair today after cowashing and it went up just about 1 letter maybe (to 3a)... not much difference at all but it's OK.  It loosened it enough that I do actually like the way it looks in a wash n go finally! So I would say it was a success even though I used an inadequate flat iron.
It made it look and feel healthy and shiny. I will buy a new flat iron that can at least get up to 400 degrees before I do it next time.

I will be doing some brand of Keratin treatment on a regular basis from now on because I do like what they have to offer. I will just get a new flat iron before I do it next time and research which brand I want to try next time.

I just learned some helpful info about keratins:
  • If you want to keep your curl you use a ceramic iron at 400 degrees F or less, 4-7 passes. ( What I did)
  • If you want it straight when wet, you use a Babyliss Titanium iron at 450 degrees F, up to 10 passes, and keep it straightened for 3 days or more before washing it out with sulfate free shampoo or cowash.
  • If the hair is fine or damaged like mine and you want it straight, use 410-420 degrees F, up to 10 passes.

Another thing, do you know that glassy shine from inside the hair that you can see on some people's hair (that mine never had)? Well, as you are flat ironing the hair, that glass like glaze, polish comes up on the hair with each pass with a Keratin treatment as you are ironing the keratin into  the hair. And after your first wash, you still see it.  I feel my iron was not hot enough  (no where near 400) to get the full polish to come up on the hair with more passes. But as the hair dried after this first wash, I could see a tiny bit of that glass like glaze polish, shine coming on my hair... just a little bit of it.  My hair has never had that before. I think this polish like gloss radiating off the hair naturally is kind of the signature look of a keratin treatment along with some degree of a stretched  curl  pattern.   

I am looking forward to getting a bit more of this glassy shine on my hair with my next treatment with a  Titanium iron at 410-420 degrees F.  I also do not feel the need to use anywhere near as much oil on my hair now with this treatment. I still put some on the ends but the hair had a bit more sheen and healthy feeling even without so much oil when I co washed this out.  Also, I did notice what Luv was saying,  about my curls just getting kind of knocked out really easily as it dried  it twisted in a bun.   I didnt really notice my curl being so easy to just knock out with the least bit of manipulation before.  I also do notice  a LOT less frizz and a LOT more humidity resistance.  So all in all, I like a LOT about these treatments and how they generally make the hair kind of the bomb  in a subtle way ! LOL Thumbs Up 

Oh and just grit and bear the coated feeling for the first 3 or 4 days before the first wash. That is really the only down side to this whole thing. I didn't even mind that. I found that putting  a tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends of the hair after it was flat ironed got rid of the rough, coated feeling during those first few days. I dont know if that hurt the results at all but it made the process a lot more bearable for me. 

I will update on any changes and how it holds up with time.Wink

PS: I am already looking into the Keratin Research brand for the next time and of course a Titanium iron at 410-420 F for my fine, fragile hair.  Oh yeah, and it did make my hair feel a bit stronger too! I will probably do my next one sooner rather than later. We'll see how long this one holds up. Approve

ETA: After yesterday's air dry and sleeping in  a top knot last night, I woke up this morning with it looking almost exactly like Leona Lewis' hair here. NO HEAT...air dry and top knot only

Date Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 11:01am
Gosh I am still so loving this UNCURLY thing. 
I am back to air drying and just twisting my hair on top of my head in a top knot with my leave ins and a bit of coconut oil.
Update: Let me tell you, shrinkage, reversion and humidity frizz are all  things of the past for me right now. My hair needs a lot less oil and stays really shiny with so much less product now. I went out in the humidity and it behaved wonderfully! 

I am SO happy I decided to do this treatment to my hair! It is one of the best things ever for my hair so far. Will update any changes and how long it lasts..

Date Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 5:46pm
Using silicone mix help stretched my hair alot...look liked i had a blow out when i took down my french braids.

Date Posted: Jul 30 2014 at 10:54pm
Thanks for reminding me of Silicon Mix! I have to pick some up from my local BSS. I like the one with Bambu.

Date Posted: Jul 31 2014 at 10:07pm
Oh my, I have been away too long

Rell85 is doing Silicone treatments

Aradia Keratin treatments

What have I been missing

Date Posted: Aug 01 2014 at 6:03pm
Benni i had to my hair seemed weak...hows your hair doing?

Threaded...have 6 threads on each side...they came out way better this time at the roots.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2014 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

Benni i had to my hair seemed weak...hows your hair doing?

Threaded...have 6 threads on each side...they came out way better this time at the roots.

Hi rell85, Looks like I may have to do something special. Experiencing breakage again.   Not sure if it's because I have been skipping my supplements for the past 2 weeks, but I have been tending to my hair as usual with conditioning treatments and moisturizing.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2014 at 5:32pm
Awww Benni that sucks...i hope you get your hair back on track.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2014 at 5:49pm
Hi Benni, Maybe you can do absolutely no manipulation to your hair for a while. I've seen several ladies say that they can not wear their hair at all   or it breaks. Some have to just put it away and hide it all the time... at least they know it is there Wink

I have to admit that I am back to less manipulation myself. Just soaking it sopping with oil and twisting it on top of my head works for me. I have not had any breakage (KNOCK ON WOOD) It is just my go to to try to grow my hair. I notice a lot of ladies on the Long hair forums tend to wear buns for very long stretches to retain length and get over length humps. The buns may not work for some ladies, so maybe sopping in oil and braiding , putting on a wig and leaving it for many months.

Braiding is still a type of stretching. The only thing is maybe you never get to take it out at all Question

Date Posted: Aug 02 2014 at 7:10pm
Hi Rell85 and Aradia, While I enjoy and look forward to the warmer months, I am beginning to dread summer.

It seems like whenever I have 'hair blues', it occur in the summer.

Today I actually felt like shaving off all my hair

It was doing so well there for a while.... Then this

Frustrating does not even begin to describe my emotional state at this point.

I keep going back thinking my Protein/Moisture balance is way off.

I will try the "set it and forget it" method like you suggest Aradia.
That means I will have to stay off this Forum during this process .   

At this point I will try just about anything.

Hope you both have an enjoyable weekend    

Date Posted: Aug 03 2014 at 5:43pm
Hair Care day, but I ensured that everything was within an acceptable pH.

Threaded into 6 portions and will hope for the best.

Hair is still coming out in larger quantities than is acceptable.

Date Posted: Aug 03 2014 at 7:39pm
Do you think you should use some other type of thread? I would think some thread could tear the hair.  Reli is using yarn I think and the braider on page 1 says in Africa they use plastic with no problem at all and grow to whatever length they want.  
Maybe the type of thread you're using is rough on your hair? I thought you were going to try braiding instead?

Date Posted: Aug 03 2014 at 9:55pm
I do use yarn Lady A...im sure african thread would be better couldn't find it.

Date Posted: Aug 03 2014 at 10:23pm
I am willing to try anything at this point.   I am at peak desperation.
Noticing the point at which the breakage is occurring.....About 2 inches from scalp.
Not doing any type of chemical treatments. Everything is natural.
Last box color was 6 years ago. Since then I have been using Henna
Working with pH levels this weekend in everything I use.
My tap water is 7.5 pH....Not too bad !!
I will see what happen in a few weeks of this new treatment.
Always love homemade recipes

Oh, how I dread Summer    

Date Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:44am
About 2 " from scalp could be where your thread first hits the hair when you bundle hair in groups. So like at the root of the threading bundles.  The hair that is pulled tightly across   is maybe getting cut by your threads cutting into them. 
Maybe not for you or use a softer substance than your current thread. Yarns are not ideal but are obviously much softer than something like coat thread. Might have to allow a little slack at the roots too if you keep threading instead of braiding..
I really wish you a lot of luck with this Benni. But it really sounds like maybe threads are too sharp for your fragile hair.
PS Maybe you can write to the African braider who did the first video in this thread and ask her what she recommends to thread fragile hair.
http://www.worldofbraidingacademy.com/home.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.worldofbraidingacademy.com/home.htm
https://www.facebook.com/pages/WORLD-OF-BRAIDING-EXTENSIONS/93962581040" rel="nofollow - https://www.facebook.com/pages/WORLD-OF-BRAIDING-EXTENSIONS/93962581040
I did my research. I actually called the lady at Uncurly before I ordered it. She and I spoke on the phone quite a bit before I did it to my hair and I feel I made a good and informed decision for myself. Maybe you should write World of Braiding to get some more tips on how to protect your hair in the process of threading.
Remember almost every technique worth learning usually requires a bit of fine tuning to perfect.

Date Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 1:21pm
Thanks for the suggestions Aradia this makes sense, but the threading is not that important. I am doing it only because my braids become loose after just a few hours, and I wanted to just keep my hands out of my hair too often.

I am also considering that my hair may be over moisturized.

I will keep exploring.

How is your Keratin Treatment working

Date Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 2:07pm
I am glad to hear you've got it under control. Thanks for asking about my keratin treatment. I co washed yesterday for the 2nd time and I still love it a lot. It did loosen my hair a little bit and I still don't have shrinkage or reverting when I smooth it now. It stays styled smooth and that was what I was trying so hard to get.

I keep reading about them and a lot of people say that your curls get even looser the next time you do it. That does not worry me but it did worry some who wanted to keep a really curly look. They were told to just put the keratin on the roots only and flat iron the roots only when time for a touch up. The standard technique is to do the whole head over in 3 months  but it will cause the curls to get even looser... That is what I will do. I am researching which brand I will use next time in a few months. I am leaning toward Keratin Research because it is cheaper than uncurly but has realy good reviews also. I read really good things about QOD  Silver for color treated hair also but that one is really expensive.

WO!! Look at that SHINE that came up on her hair with the keratin treatment! It looks like she has silky straight weave hair in there but that is her real hair with a keratin treament! And QOD actually straightens instead of texturizing.  And you don't have to leave it 3 days with this one wow! .... OK I think I will have what she's having LOL (My only criticism of the stylists is that they left at least one inch of new growth untreated! That is a technique you can use on Caucasian hair so it will be less flat. Not applicable to AA hair as it is leaving ng Confused)

But yes, this is a real keeper for me at this point. It smoothed my hair, makes the hair look healthy, shiny and makes the straight styles last.  Mine did not get straight like the girl in the video. Mine went up to 3a/2c when wet and that gets knocked out to a larger roller set look by doing a bun. The hair does feel a little stronger  too. So I am liking it. I may go with  a formaldehyde free formula next time and use low temp flat iron again to keep a loose wave . I haven't decided if I want it straight or like this again next time. But I will figure it out by that time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps acting like it has some sense. Wink 

Date Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 3:38pm
Great...

Yes, her hair does look healthy, shiny and strong

Date Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 2:06pm
I had to go somewhere today and my hair crimped up a little bit before I got there. It was not as bad as before I got the BKT at all.... But I did not look well groomed in the style I had intended to have at all. SO, I guess I got my answer. I will have to do it as straight as possible next time for my tastes. I am personally never really into wearing curly hair  when I need to go anywhere important ever. I can get curly looks easily by doing one or two bantu knot top knots so that is really easy if I ever get in the mood to do a playful big look. But for when I want my straight hair when I have to go somewhere.... I guess the texlaxed 3a look is just a transitional phase for me. I will have to make it smoother when I do my touch up Keratin treatment in a few months. 
Also, I have a lot of gray hair in the front of my head. It is crinkled unlike my natural hair. That texture crinkled all up as I sweated  and it generally made me start to look frazzled like I had been through the mill  although I had blown it smooth before I left home. Again it is no where near as bad as it was before BKT because then I looked like an electrocuted Diana Ross wig. Now I just looked like I had  done my hair a week or 2 ago and got caught in the rain a few times and beaten up a bit in the mean time Ouch LOL
So it is making it easier for me to stay a little closer to the groomed straight styles that I like.... closer but still no cigar in real heat.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2014 at 8:07pm
    at the Diana Ross comparison,

Glad it is still working out for you even though there are kinks to work out. Minor though they may be.

Date Posted: Aug 06 2014 at 1:23pm
May have to co-wash and thread...hair staring to puffy...only cause i moisturized.

Date Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 2:27pm
My braids are holding up, although they look like loose crochet chains

Date Posted: Aug 07 2014 at 8:43pm

Date Posted: Aug 08 2014 at 1:24am
Threaded...started doing small threads then didn't feel like taking all nite... i have 4 big threads i threaded the smaller threads together to make one...i think i like the bigger ones better i don't feel the tension and takes less time.

Date Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 5:37pm
I have been Crocheting the past few days, so after I did 2-step ApHogee today I wrapped yarn around my braids.

They look like dreads. Maybe they will last a bit longer    

Date Posted: Aug 10 2014 at 7:32pm
Crocheting oh wow! What are you making Benni? 
Good luck w/ your threading

Date Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 1:37pm

I have been Crocheting the past few days, so after I did 2-step ApHogee today I wrapped yarn around my braids.

They look like dreads. Maybe they will last a bit longer    

A Messenger Bag.

I must credit you for this. You once posted Crafty Gemini, and that lead to other Crafters which lead me to Crocheting YT's.
Have not don't this in over 20 yrs.
Enjoying it immensely though

Date Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 2:50pm
Am I losing it

I meant to quote Aradia, but quoted myself

Date Posted: Aug 11 2014 at 4:21pm
sounds like fun!

Date Posted: Aug 13 2014 at 2:20pm
Will remove my first-time yarn today.   Anxious to see the results, especially when I co-wash tomorrow.   Hope the breakage/fallout has subsided after last weekends 2-step ApHogee tx.

Date Posted: Aug 15 2014 at 7:38am
Have 4 threads...im really enjoying the big ones they don't get frizzy when wet or come loose.

Date Posted: Aug 16 2014 at 7:41pm
Huge Girlie Curls
One inch wide or LARGER JUMBO Flexi Rod Sets

Improvising 3 rods in each curl LOL

Dry on stretched hair set with just shea butter.

1 1/4 " Wide

Date Posted: Aug 17 2014 at 4:54pm
Threaded again last night. Cut off 2 inches that appeared to thin.

Date Posted: Aug 18 2014 at 8:08pm
I think a Pony Tail Roller Wrap should be a go to for all AA women (natural and relaxed alike) for every wash day.
For naturals, you may use jumbo flexi rods or curlformers on the ends of the pony tails instead of magnetic rollers.
Maintain at night by just putting in a few flexi rods or wrapping the hair and a scarf

The ponytails stretch straight the new growth at the roots
The products used are not important just the techniques

Ponytail FLEXI ROD Set

Natural hair

Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 7:43pm
Satin Scarf Braid outs on already stretched hair 

A VERY easy, super sexy, playful and fun style. Oil and Re Braid each night with thick scarves to keep the style fresh and the hair stretched. Will look silkier and better each day after re oiling and rebraiding each night in a few braids with fat scarves.
Thicker, fatter scarves with fewer  braids make fatter beach waves

Great on already stretched hair set with a thick oil like castor oil or shea butter whipped with oils for added silkiness on natural hair.

May maintain the look by rebraiding each night with scarves..

I am going to the thrift store and the dollar store to look for some long scarves like in video one. If I dont find a set, I will get a yard of satin like fabric and simply cut it into strips. I think I will do 2-4 braids with FAT scarves to make large bends in the hair. I am not a fan of tight braid out look on me. I like more of the waving iron look like the last video or even bigger waves like the 1st video.

Date Posted: Aug 23 2014 at 3:11pm
Taking a break from threds it's my inversion method week...while i love threads still adjusting to seeing large amounts of shed hair...im use to doing my hair daily so when wash day came it'll be close to nothing now it's a ball of shed hair.

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 5:23am
So you say shedding is or is not a problem with threading?

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 6:44am
I did this satin scarf braid set like Yahya's last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuvxTXRCHrc
I used a long hot pink chiffon neck scarf and cut it in half.I then
Did a middle part and did two Pocahontas braids. Satin bonnet and went to sleep.
I see that I can do this with two big swatches of jumbo braid hair instead of or along with scarves sometimes. When you use jumbo braid hair, you don't need thick scarves for bulk, so you can add pretty colorful ribbons instead of scarves to dress it up. The scarves or braid hair serve the purpose of making BIGGER braids which result in FATTER, LOOSER wave pattern from the set (ie more stretch)
I can't wait to see how this set turns out.[/QUOTE]
Ps I woke up and unbraided one side. It is the bomb! A very acceptable loose Indian wave. So I have a new go to... Pocahontas braids with satin scarves and / or jumbo braid hair as a daily protective style! When you take it out you've got ready to wear, natural looking, carefree. loose waves like loose wave or body wave weave hair! Yeah!
So now I will get a bag of jumbo braid hair because I want my Pocahontas braids to be TBL or longer and donkey fat.
I will also get some more chiffon, neck scarves in electric or jewel colors to dress them up.
I love my new go to ps
(You can stretch first with threading if necessary, then do this the second night onward.You can also start out with French braids at the hairline to keep your front roots stretched.Also edge control (Curls Passion Fruit Control Paste), bristle brush and stocking cap w/ tight scarf will help some with stretching for this)

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 1:33pm

I think she meant that daily shedding seem to be a small/average amount,
but when the shed hair is allowed to accumulate for a week or so with threading, it seem like an awful lot.

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 2:44pm
I took the two braids out and put them back in with kanekalon hair along with the scarves. They are a little below waist length with curls on the 3"of loose ends a at the bottom. I DID put gel on my hair at the roots so it would hopefully stay smooth longer. Will tie it down tonight. Will also m/s + re-do it frequently. I feel like a blonde Native American.
P.S. hopefully the gel will be okay... I'm usually against it.

I used Xcess styling gel sport hold from the dollar store. It supposedly is really light.

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 3:09pm

I took the two braids out and put them back in with kanekalon hair along with the scarves. They are a little below waist length with curls on the loose ends. I DID put gel on my hair at the roots so it would hopefully stay smooth longer. Will tie it down tonight. Will also m/s + re-do it frequently. I feel like a blonde Native American.
P.S. hopefully the gel will be okay... I'm usually against it.

Did you make Flax Seed Gel, or is it store bought.

I have been thinking of making some FSG

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 3:14pm
I used Xcess gel sport hold from the dollar store. It supposedly is really light. I have some flax seeds so I may make some

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 3:16pm

I think she meant that daily shedding seem to be a small/average amount,
but when the shed hair is allowed to accumulate for a week or so with threading, it seem like an awful lot.

Yes that's what i meant.

Print Page | Close Window