Print Page | Close Window

FTC says T-Mobile is Scamming Customers

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371997
Printed Date: Jun 17 2019 at 7:42am

Topic: FTC says T-Mobile is Scamming Customers
Posted By: tatee
Subject: FTC says T-Mobile is Scamming Customers
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:12pm
FTC: T-Mobile Took Hundreds of Millions of Bogus Charges on Phone Bills

http://gizmodo.com/the-ftc-just-accused-t-mobile-of-putting-fake-charges-o-1598656528" rel="nofollow - FTC: T-Mobile Took Hundreds of Millions of Bogus Charges on Phone Bills

Kate Knibbs

FTC: T-Mobile Took Hundreds of Millions of Bogus Charges on Phone Bills

The Federal Trade Commission http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/07/ftc-alleges-t-mobile-crammed-bogus-charges-customers-phone-bills" rel="nofollow - has accused T-Mobile of placing hundreds of millions of dollars of bogus charges onto its customers' phone bills.

The FTC alleges T-Mobile engaged in a shady practice known as "third party billing," or "cramming." Customers would get charged from shifty "premium texting" third party services, like the kinds that send horoscopes or dating tips, even when they'd never authorized the fees. T-Mobile allegedly kept a hefty chunk of these fake charges.

In a process known as "third-party billing," a phone company places charges on a consumer's bill for services offered by another company, often receiving a substantial percentage of the amount charged. When the charges are placed on the bill without the consumer's authorization, it is known as "cramming."

This Is A Big Deal

These are huge accusations: The FTC alleges that T-Mobile has taken in hundreds of millions of dollars from tricking customers. They accuse the network of sometimes charging customers for services that ended up getting refunded at a rate of 40 percent a month. The reason why these refunds were coming in fast and furious? According to the FTC, because the customers had never agreed to the charges. That means the 60 percent who didn't ask for a refund overpaid T-Mobile. T-Mobile's full phone bills can be around 50 pages long, and the FTC says these phony charges are hard to find.

The FTC also alleges that, in some cases, T-Mobile refused refunds to people who figured out that they were getting scammed.

"It's wrong for a company like T-Mobile to profit from scams against its customers when there were clear warning signs the charges it was imposing were fraudulent," FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez said in a statement. "The FTC's goal is to ensure that T-Mobile repays all its customers for these crammed charges."

"We did engage with settlement negotiations with T-Mobile but we were not able to reach a settlement," FTC Consumer Protection Director Jessica Rich said during a conference call about the lawsuit.

The FTC is seeking refunds for consumers, but have not reached a specific settlement amount. The FCC has also launched a separate inquiry.

I Think I'm Getting Ripped Off - What Should I Do?

If you think you've been defrauded by T-Mobile, it's still unclear how exactly the carrier will make amends and dole out refunds if it is found guilty.

"We definitely want consumers to get refund but we have not determined how they will get them," Rich said.

"Consumers should read their bills closely and quickly contact their carriers if they see any unauthorized charges," she said. She also recommended that consumers block all third-party charges.

T-Mobile customer Kevin Rivers told Gizmodo his bills are no longer available on the company website, so you may have to wait to comb through your bill if this is a widespread issue.

Not on T-Mobile? Don't Look So Smug: You May Not Be Safe.

Rich didn't come out and say that other carriers were up to the same shenaBrothans. But she definitely didn't deny that the FTC has knowledge about cramming practices from other providers. Even if you use Sprint or another carrier, this is a good time to actually read through your whole bill.

We've asked T-Mobile to comment on the allegations and will update if we hear back. [ http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/07/ftc-alleges-t-mobile-crammed-bogus-charges-customers-phone-bills" rel="nofollow - FTC]

http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/07/ftc-alleges-t-mobile-crammed-bogus-charges-customers-phone-bills" rel="nofollow - http://gizmodo.com/the-ftc-just-accused-t-mobile-of-putting-fake-charges-o-1598656528

Replies:
Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:54pm
Exactly why I left my contract. Those fckers. I had bought a new phone, returned it, and got another one. Yet they were still charging me the data plan specific for the first phone.

Posted By: Up&Out39
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 8:04pm
I'm about to check my bill

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 8:07pm
will there be a class action suit??

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 11:28pm
I'm sure they all do this. I know for a fact Sprint does with they never having a damn signal asses

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 11:32pm
what the *?!@!$)$?

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 11:38pm
Sprint with their $30 "fees". I hate them so much I call once a month just to bitch them out.
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

I'm sure they all do this. I know for a fact Sprint does with they never having a damn signal asses

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

Sprint with their $30 "fees". I hate them so much I call once a month just to bitch them out.

They sucked me in when I was 17, they say I still owe them money.....see if they get that shyt. I moved up to Afee&fee now, but at least I always have service.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 11:55pm
is this why they offering to pay the fee to break your contract with your current carrier and come over?

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:01am
didn't read but mobile contracts are a status symbol. there are far better options available. 

contracts are a joke.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:02am
Imma keep my lil pay as i go plan· 4g unlimited everything for $60 flat every month.Fuk a contract

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:05am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

is this why they offering to pay the fee to break your contract with your current carrier and come over?

I think T-mo was the first to start that, then everybody else followed suit. I lowkey know a a way to get $1500 from Cricket.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:05am
$40 bucks everythang, perfect signal everywhere in the country.Cool

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:06am
bouncing off them verizon towers, shawdy lol

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:07am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

didn't read but mobile contracts are a status symbol. there are far better options available. 

contracts are a joke.

I was with Verizon prepaid for a while and I loved it. I only signed a contract because I needed a better phone and wanted to build some credit. My bills been cool so far.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:16am
had verizon prepaid for a minute after i dropped the contract. still too many limitations for me. 

i even had walmart's straight talk for bout a year after i left verizon alone. bout 55 bucks unlimited everything and didn't have a single problem until they caught up with my tethering three computer on the 4g 10 hours everyday. i'm on boost now. sh*t works coast to coast. 

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:22am
Lol i was waiting for metro pcs to widen their coverage for awhile . Then it happened and its been clear sailing have no issues at all...

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:30am
has metro expanded use in different states without an extra fee? i used to love metro.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:33am
Boost?   I thought muhfukkas on The BHM be shadin' folks with Boost?  or is it MetroPCS?  I'm actually thinking of switching to metro.  fucc it.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:34am
there was some boost shade recently. ion give a sh*t. pay my mofo beeper bill and maybe i'll pretend to care. maybeLOL

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:35am
Ya ive used it in Vegas with no problems at all or extra fees.

I use to have virgin mobile but they raised their prices and their data speed was hella slow after awhile.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:37am
LOL  u sure right.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:49am
metro done came up. 

does the service depend on what phone you get? like the htc's are on t-mobile towers or something? 

really if you can use their phones anywhere domestically, you really can't go wrong cause chances are they're bouncing off either verizon, t-mobile or att towers. 

Posted By: sweetskul
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:53am
i have a 60 dollar everything unlimited on metro pcs...i even have better signal than other ppl with other phone companies...sprint sucks asss my boyfriend never has signal btw metro 4glte phones work off tmobiles network 

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:53am
i do miss being able to text jamaica tho and for a while my short code texting wasnt working but they fixed it 

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:55am
Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

will there be a class action suit??

HOPE SO...cause i just dropped these idiots and still owe 95.00 which i know i have to -pay or it will go to the collector/ credit report....don't need either..

i always hated their phone service...

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:55am
Iono. The folks I spoke to that have it says they'll never in life go back to the Big 3 or 5 or whatever.  And they have one of these fancy new fangled phones.  With all kinds of innernets and wi-fi's.  They get great service with no problems with connection.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:58am
You do have to have one of their phones. But the price range is decent. Ive found them to be cheaper at Best Buy than on the MetroPCs website.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 1:15am
no you dont have to have one of their phones there is the byod program where you can bring your own device and yeah they tend to be cheaper at best buy plus best buy price matches so sometimes u can get it cheaper pricing matching on amazon 

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 1:28am
They couldn't with my previous phone but it wasn't that big of a deal u kinda wanted a new phone.

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 6:14am
people around here act like paying higher phone prices mean you accomplished somethingLOL when i tell them i pay 45 for unlimited everything they look at me like i just told them i collect empty bottles and soda cans.  yeah i was supposed to be boycotting walmart but they offered straight talk using my same att connect and i had decide what i hated more...my principles went straight out the window.  i dont even by the refill from st or walmart i get them off ebay so i dont pay taxes.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 6:40am
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

WinkThat's how I feel about Verizon.  They need to be called Horizon since that's how high my bill is every month!!!!!Angry

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 7:31am
Been years since t-mobile bill was pages...they're good with taking charges off.

Posted By: iluvmihair
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 5:55am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Not on T-Mobile? Don't Look So Smug: You May Not Be Safe.

Rich didn't come out and say that other carriers were up to the same shenaBrothans. But she definitely didn't deny that the FTC has knowledge about cramming practices from other providers. Even if you use Sprint or another carrier, this is a good time to actually read through your whole bill.

LOLLOL

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 5:59am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Boost?   I thought muhfukkas on The BHM be shadin' folks with Boost?  or is it MetroPCS?  I'm actually thinking of switching to metro.  fucc it.
i have boost. they arent bad. phones are expensive tho but they're nice. if you pay your bill on time a certain amount of times they take 5 dollars off your bill. so i pay 45 for unlimited everything...but ive been with them for years now so..Smile my aunts seem to really like metro. ive never tried them tho

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:19am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye49_RB7Aus" rel="nofollow - video

Print Page | Close Window