Print Page | Close Window

Caribbeans: Telling us what we already know news..

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371967
Printed Date: Jan 17 2018 at 7:32am

Topic: Caribbeans: Telling us what we already know news..
Posted By: JamCaygirl
Subject: Caribbeans: Telling us what we already know news..
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:02pm

Is this the new wonder food? Breadfruit is high in protein and has the potential to feed the world, experts say

• Breadfruit has lumpy green flesh and a potato-like texture
  • It is widely eaten in the Pacific Islands and scientists are encouraging the planting of trees in countries with poor food security
  • One breadfruit, which weighs around seven lbs (3kg) provides the carbohydrate portion of a meal for a family of five
  • It can be can be ground into flour and used to make pancakes
  • The fruit is rich in vitamins and is a source of carbohydrate and protein
  • The protein in the fruit has a higher proportion of aminio acids than soy

By http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Sarah+Griffiths" rel="nofollow - Sarah Griffiths

Published: 12:56 GMT, 30 June 2014 | Updated: 15:31 GMT, 30 June 2014

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2675002/Is-new-wonder-food-Breadfruit-high-protein-experts-say-potential-feed-world.html#socialLinks" rel="nofollow -
2,844 shares
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2675002/Is-new-wonder-food-Breadfruit-high-protein-experts-say-potential-feed-world.html#comments" rel="nofollow -

- View
comments

It may not be a fruit that you automatically reach for in the supermarket, but the large and exotic breadfruit is being touted as a wonder food.

Known by its Latin name, artocarpus altilis, the fruit has lumpy green flesh and a potato-like texture so that it can be served as part of a main meal or turned into sweets.

It was once a staple in the Jamaican diet and now experts believe it could provide food security on the island, which imports more than half of its food.

Scroll down for video

Wonderfood? Breadfruit (pictured) - Artocarpus altilis - has lumpy green flesh and a potato-like texture so that it can be served as part of a main meal or turned into sweets
+4

Wonderfood? Breadfruit (pictured) - Artocarpus altilis - has lumpy green flesh and a potato-like texture so that it can be served as part of a main meal or turned into sweets

The fruit is widely eaten throughout the Pacific Islands and more breadfruit are produced per hectare than rice, wheat and corn, http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22229750.800-the-wonder-food-youve-probably-never-heard-of.html?cmpid=RSS%7CNSNS%7C2012-GLOBAL%7Conline-news" rel="nofollow - New Scientist reported.

Just one breadfruit, which weighs around 7lbs (three kgs), provides the carbohydrate portion of a meal for a family of five.

More...

• http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2674787/Just-three-fizzy-drinks-WEEK-increases-risk-breast-cancer-study-claims.html" rel="nofollow - Just three fizzy drinks a WEEK increases the risk of breast cancer, study claims
  • http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2671635/How-fruit-juice-turned-junk-food-Modern-methods-mean-not-concentrate-drinks-stored-year.html" rel="nofollow - How fruit juice has turned into junk food: Modern methods mean even 'not from concentrate' drinks can be stored for a year

The fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, including pancakes and crisps.

It is rich in vitamins and minerals, as well as being a high source of gluten-free carbohydrate and protein.

The protein in the fruit has a higher proportion of aminio acids than soy.

Diane Ragone of Hawaii’s National Tropical Botanical Garden (NTBG) has been studying the plant since the 1980s, which some people say is bland and starchy.

RECIPE IDEAS TO INCORPORATE BREADFRUIT IN YOUR DIET

Mary McLaughlin, founder of the charity Trees that Feed, said that the high-protein fruit can be used to make pancakes.

A third of a cup of breadfruit flour is added to the same quantity of orange juice as well as one egg, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.

The mixture is fried in a pan and this recipe makes pancakes for three people.

Breadfruit crisps and pasta are being developed so that the food can be more easily stored.

The NTBG said that mature breadfruit is a healthy substitute for any starchy food such as rice and potatoes if it is boiled, steamed or baked.

Small immature fruit can be boiled, pickled and marinated. They are said to taste like artichoke hearts.

Ripe fruits are creamy and sweet and can be eaten raw or used to make cakes and pies.

Even the flowers found on the trees can be candied and eaten as sweets.

She has studied hundreds of varieties from 34 countries.

Together with Nyree Zerega of Northwestern University in Chicago, she traced back the roots of the fruit using DNA analysis to the breadfruit ‘Eve’.

Most of the fruit she examined included fingerprints of a plant called the breadnut that grows in New Guinea. The breadnut is thought to be the ancestor of the breadfruit.

In 2003 Dr Ragone created the NTBG’s Breadfruit Institute, which includes an orchard on the island of Maui.

Scientists there are working with the charity Alliance to End Hunger with the aim of distributing breadfruit to places without a regular supply of food across the world.

‘Traditionally in Polynesia you would plant a breadfruit when a child was born, because that would guarantee food throughout the child’s life’ Dr Zerega said.

Breadfruit trees require little care and thrive in the tropics.

Now experts are investigating which varieties best suit certain environments and climates – as well as local tastes – in countries lacking food security.

Breadfruit (pictured) was once a staple in the diet of Jamaicans and experts think it could provide food security on the island, which imports more than half of its food. It is viatamin and mineral rich, as well as being a high source of gluten-free carbohydrate and protein
+4

Breadfruit (pictured) was once a staple in the diet of Jamaicans and experts think it could provide food security on the island, which imports more than half of its food. It is viatamin and mineral rich, as well as being a high source of gluten-free carbohydrate and protein

Just one breadfruit, which weighs around seven lbs (three kilograms) provides the carbohydrate portion of a meal for a family of five. The fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, including pancakes and crisps
+4

Just one breadfruit, which weighs around seven lbs (three kilograms) provides the carbohydrate portion of a meal for a family of five. The fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, including pancakes and crisps

THE HISTORY OF BREADFRUIT

Breadfruit was first bought to the Caribbean in the 18th Century to feed slaves.

Lieutenant William Bligh first bought the fruit to Jamaica from Tahiti.

It is said that on the way, his crew mutinied and set him adrift, dumping the cargo of breadfruit plants overboard with him.

On his second attempt as a captain in 1792, he brought 2,000 of the plants to Jamaica and 678 bore fruit.

Intended as a stable and cheap food for slaves, breadfruit was not much liked and it took around 50 years for it to be incorporated willingly into local dishes.

Scientists think that the fruit's ancestor is the breadnut, which is native to New Guinea.

Breadfruit is so called because of its high carbohydrate and fibre content. When it is just ripe enough to eat, it is more like bread as it is starchy and dry, but  when it is softer and riper it tastes sweeter and is more moist.

They are also identifying which varieties of the fruit produce the best yields and protein content.

They think that some of the fruit are highly tolerant to salt, which could prove important in the Caribbean as sea levels rise.

However, some varieties of breadfruit relied upon by people in the eastern Pacific are proving to be less robust.

Scientists are trying to use tissue culture methods to create breadfruit trees that yield more fruit sooner.

While progress is difficult, the experts have grown disease-free trees that start bearing fruit at two years of age – three years sooner than is usual.

From the varieties propagated, 35,000 trees have now been sent to 26 countries, including Jamaica and Haiti.

A variety called Ma’afala, which is native to Samoa, bears fruit a different time to varieties found in the Caribbean, extending the time when the nutritious fruit is available.

It is hoped that one day there could be forests of breadfruit trees throughout the Caribbean.

The starchy fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, including pancakes and crisps (pictured)
+4

The starchy fruit can be ground into flour and used in sweet and savoury dishes, including pancakes and crisps (pictured)

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2675002/Is-new-wonder-food-Breadfruit-high-protein-experts-say-potential-feed-world.html#ixzz36AcL0j84" rel="nofollow - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2675002/Is-new-wonder-food-Breadfruit-high-protein-experts-say-potential-feed-world.html#ixzz36AcL0j84
Follow us: http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline" rel="nofollow - @MailOnline on Twitter | http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail" rel="nofollow - DailyMail on Facebook

Replies:
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:04pm
I hope this doesn't go the same way as the Bolivians and Quinoa, now the poor Bolivians cannot afford to buy it since its become such a hot commodity as a superfood...

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:12pm
interesting. does it taste yucky? i'm always looking for healthy foods high in protein. 

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:27pm
oh, ion need no extra starch so nevermind lol

Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:27pm
I think DM meant to say high in starch, not protein....
Watch all these Brits blow up now from overeating breadfruitLOL

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 7:36pm
i dont like breadfruit. is this the next food that white people gonna act like they dicovered?? are they gonna mass produce it to the point that its pumped full of chemicals and pesticides that you cant even eat it anymore?

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 8:49pm
I hate breadfruit. Too dry. I used to fake sick to not have to eat it when I was a kid My mom loves that stuffThumbs Down

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by kerysdream7 kerysdream7 wrote:

I hate breadfruit. Too dry. I used to fake sick to not have to eat it when I was a kid My mom loves that stuffThumbs Down

Breadfruit is good...turned (roasted and fry)

Posted By: sweetskul
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 9:25pm
roast breadfruit or fry breadfruit and ackee and salt fish nothin nuh sweet like that wid some fry dumpling too and bammy 

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 9:33pm
i've had breadfruit in a soup.  was good to me.

Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by sweetskul sweetskul wrote:

roast breadfruit or fry breadfruit and ackee and salt fish nothin nuh sweet like that wid some fry dumpling too and bammy 

yess!!!

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 10:16pm
yeah you can't be hungry with a beating breadfruit tree

One tree can have like 80 ready to pick at a time

Breadfruit tastes good, textures good... doesn't need too much dressing up

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:06am
Breadfruit Coo-coo.....yass

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:19am
I like the way we eat ours. I hate when the "west" gets a hold of our stuff and "exotic-ize" it. See what they've done with palm oil?! I hope the price stays down!!! Angry

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:49am
Where is glamrock?

I hate breadfruit. #new yardie. Let me clarify i hate it cause mommy lurvesssss breadfruit and when she ready we eating breadfruit all 3 times weekly with that raascleet ackee! but i love it fried, and then you use it to sop up the saltfish oil. i like it roasted and sweet. Ive never heard of using the immature fruit and pickling it, interesting. 

Im not sure where daily mail gets its info from but i haven't heard a push for breadfruit from anywhere on this island. About 3 years ago the push was cassava.

We have ackee and breadfruit trees. when they're in season- just kill me. Except that seasoned rice (with ackee) and the pigstail or corned pork or ham!!!!!! lawwwddd

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:19am
Couldn't stomach breadfruit

Maybe it was the way it was prepared

And look at white folk again

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 3:46am
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

yess!!!
 Clap yass

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:16am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

columbusing!!

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 6:40am
never even heard of this stuff.  hmmmmmmmmm

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Where is glamrock?

We have ackee and breadfruit trees. when they're in season- just kill me. Except that seasoned rice (with ackee) and the pigstail or corned pork or ham!!!!!! lawwwddd

Lawd, my Mum will spend hours cleaning ackee like its fun or somethingConfused. Bags & bags of it. She stores it in ziplock bags & freezes it. Everyone comes to her for it. She's the ackee ladyLOL

I LOVE bammy!

I want some Sorrel.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:33am
Next they'll be saying ackee is the superfood....

I'm really over this whole superfood thing, i mean really they just mean unprocessed, unpumped up with chemical foods is good for you... who knew? eyeroll....

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 7:49am

I'm really over this whole superfood thing, i mean really they just mean unprocessed, unpumped up with chemical foods is good for you... who knew? eyeroll....
they started with coconut oil
I am waiting on Bissy and cerassie tea...

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

They can have that ish! cause mi nu want it! LOL

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:03am
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

I like the way we eat ours. I hate when the "west" gets a hold of our stuff and "exotic-ize" it. See what they've done with palm oil?! I hope the price stays down!!! Angry

Sis what is this fruit called in Naija? Do we have it?

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:12am
I hate breadfruit!

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Princess_S Princess_S wrote:

They can have that ish! cause mi nu want it! LOL
LOLLOLLOL...Gurlll u cant tell my Grand uncle nuffin..Cerassie oood for everythingLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:26pm

Where is glamrock?

Lawd, my Mum will spend hours cleaning ackee like its fun or somethingConfused. Bags & bags of it. She stores it in ziplock bags & freezes it. Everyone comes to her for it. She's the ackee ladyLOL

I LOVE bammy!

I want some Sorrel.

GYALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL we either have 2 or 3 ackee trees out back. 'sass chrise!!!!!!!!!!!! These folks will eat ackee every raas day of the week, i hate it now. We'll freeze it for my aunt and sister but when we actually tried to cook it it became ackee soup. Ive said it before but she did it a few weeks ago again- my aunt had my cousin roast so many breadfruits to take to the states I had no ice for days (she stored them in the freezer)

Ive never had bissy tea in my life, i did send some for a BHMer though lolol, it was the tea bag. I bought a bag of pure bissy at the farmers marker last saturday- i dont even know how to do it. just put it in the pot and then make it boil up and then strain it? I wish someone told me about it being good for cases of poisoning BEFORE my dogs died.CryAngryOuch

Never had cerassie. #newyardie I hate bammy too. 

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:41pm
Breadfruit must have been carried over from Africa- I happen to like it, to me its one of those veggies that takes on the flavor of anything you cook it in. Something like Eggplant or cassava?

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:50pm
I never cared for breadfruit. My mom loves that stuff though.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

Sis what is this fruit called in Naija? Do we have it?
lemme butt inLOL

it's called 'afon' in yoruba....other ethnic groups have different words for it though obviously

Igbo it's ukwa. I searched it for her   http://allnigerianfoods.com/ukwa-breadfruit" rel="nofollow - http://allnigerianfoods.com/ukwa-breadfruit

Ive never had any mashed up breadfruit dishShockedShocked im aware that they use the flour to make dumplings, porridge etc but ive enver had that either. I like the breadfruit chips but they're hard to find or the company stopped making them

Afro perhaps they gave you too thick a piece, i like it thinly sliced.

NG no it didnt come from Africa, it came from Tahiti. I think the article said it as well.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:56pm
Bammy is awesome!
I always wondered about why people love food that might kill them! When I first saw ackee I thought it was Scrambled eggs , with boiled green bananas

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:57pm

LOLLOLLOL...Gurlll u cant tell my Grand uncle nuffin..Cerassie oood for everythingLOLLOL
[/QUOTE]
Tea is the cure for everything according to my Mum. 

Got cramps? Drink tea!
Got the flu? Drink tea! 
Sprained your ankle? Drink tea! 
Got a gunshot wound? Drink tea!LOL

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 12:58pm
oh maybe its in more than one place on earth... IDK Nigerian's just said it grew there so that was my first thought, you know like yams and root veggies that people brought with them?
Just found out it was imported but its doing great in Africa!

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Couldn't stomach breadfruit

Maybe it was the way it was prepared

And look at white folk again

Afro, IDK if the kind you had is like ours, but if you know an Igbo person, ask them to make you "ukwa". It's soooooo good! There's a "soupy" way to make it and they can also roast it. I can kill a roach for this!!!! Star

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Bammy is awesome!
I always wondered about why people love food that might kill them! When I first saw ackee I thought it was Scrambled eggs , with boiled green bananas

gyaaallll the bammy can potentially kill you too. don't you know about that cassava?! Ive never heard of anyone dying from ackee, you may get sick but not die. the thing is once the ackee pod opens the poison gas is released and its fine to eat. Its only when some unscrupulous person pries it open to sell then there's a problem

IA and understand a visitor's and some locals hesitation/hatred of ackee- it's a bright yellow food and looks like placa-placa but the other type - the hard ackee can come out in pods.

CHEESE SAUCE CHRISE i get up to grab a glass of water, i open the fridge what's there sitting on top shelf? A breadfruitCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0019.html" rel="nofollow - http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0019.html
NG here's the full story, it's funny. 

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:20pm

Tea is the cure for everything according to my Mum. 

Got cramps? Drink tea!
Got the flu? Drink tea! 
Sprained your ankle? Drink tea! 
Got a gunshot wound? Drink tea!LOL
[/QUOTE]
yup..LOLLOL

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Bammy is awesome!

gyaaallll the bammy can potentially kill you too. don't you know about that cassava?! Ive never heard of anyone dying from ackee, you may get sick but not die. the thing is once the ackee pod opens the poison gas is released and its fine to eat. Its only when some unscrupulous person pries it open to sell then there's a problem

IA and understand a visitor's and some locals hesitation/hatred of ackee- it's a bright yellow food and looks like placa-placa but the other type - the hard ackee can come out in pods.

CHEESE SAUCE CHRISE i get up to grab a glass of water, i open the fridge what's there sitting on top shelf? A breadfruitCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0019.html" rel="nofollow - http://jamaica-gleaner.com/pages/history/story0019.html
NG here's the full story, it's funny. 
ackee will poison u if u force it open the pods.And aslo if u don't clean out the insides properly. Love me some ackee

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:23pm
I've also never had chocolate from the cocoa pod on the tree, ma dukes says it is "everything". *sigh*

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:23pm
breadfruit is in India and Hawaii too I believe 

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:29pm
i dont like ackee, it seems mushy to me

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:33pm

Where is glamrock?

I LOVE bammy!

I want some Sorrel.

GYALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL we either have 2 or 3 ackee trees out back. 'sass chrise!!!!!!!!!!!! These folks will eat ackee every raas day of the week, i hate it now. We'll freeze it for my aunt and sister but when we actually tried to cook it it became ackee soup. Ive said it before but she did it a few weeks ago again- my aunt had my cousin roast so many breadfruits to take to the states I had no ice for days (she stored them in the freezer)

Ive never had bissy tea in my life, i did send some for a BHMer though lolol, it was the tea bag. I bought a bag of pure bissy at the farmers marker last saturday- i dont even know how to do it. just put it in the pot and then make it boil up and then strain it? I wish someone told me about it being good for cases of poisoning BEFORE my dogs died.CryAngryOuch

Never had cerassie. #newyardie I hate bammy too. 

sounds about right!

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:41pm
Diane has had her yardie revoked ...months ago
Ackee is good once its cooked properly. especially with coconut oil

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:42pm

I've also never had chocolate from the cocoa pod on the tree, ma dukes says it is "everything". *sigh*
yasssssssssssssssssssssssClapClap

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:45pm

You don't have at least one cocoa tree? What is this lol

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

breadfruit is in India and Hawaii too I believe 

Mhmmm, i always look at spiked fruits as coming from the indo-asian pacific regions of the world. Like jackfruit soursop and sweetsop etc

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

You don't have at least one cocoa tree? What is this lol

I live in town!!!!!!!! But with my track record there could be a cocoa tree in the yard and i never noticed. Thats happened to me so many times LOLOLOL

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 1:53pm

I own it, Even use New Yardie with my friends. I've never had a wash out and have never slid down a country gully on a banana leaf with friends/or relativesCryCryCryCry  or been to Grand Market. I never did the it's summer ship the kid's off to country thing, i didn't even realise it was a thing till my coworkers teased me mercilessly about it i had to ask mommy "how comes?" LOLOL

Stop spreading liessssss about naty coconut oil liessssDeadDeadDead

Posted By: HaitianLuv
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 2:45pm
Asosi tea (cerassie tea in Haitian Creole) is freakin' gross. Its tastes like peeLOL. And do NOT drinking it if your trying to lose weight. One cup of that will make my stomach a bottomless pit for daysCry i eat everything is sight.
I dont think haitians do either breadfruit nor ackee. Ive never seen my family eat it or mention it. We're more crazy about yams and mangoes.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by HaitianLuv HaitianLuv wrote:

I dont think haitians do either breadfruit nor ackee. 

Whaaaaaat??? Where is your fam from? You've never had fruit à pain?

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 3:17pm
This is one thing I never developed a liking for.

I can't explain it, don't even remember what it taste like.

Maybe it will give it another try since I now have an adult palate.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

This is one thing I never developed a liking for.

I can't explain it, don't even remember what it taste like.

Maybe it will give it another try since I now have an adult palate.

it's understandable. it's kind of bland, actually. Easy to forget, imo.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 3:38pm

this is true

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I thought it was strange but figured maybe since it wasnt an english colonized country breadfruit didnt reach your shores. But thought to myself, that still didnt make sense as to why Breadfruit is absent from Haiti someone must have brought it there for the same reason (slave food) or any other. Thanks JP. HL just didnt see it lolol

afro y'all so damn hurtfulCryCryCry the smoke from the breadfruit is burning my eyes now and i just went outside to help my cousin pick mangoes (which i sucked at), then mom says "pick some ackees" *sound the death bells* DeadDeadDead

There are over 700 black mangoes wasting away outside, but i dont like them and no one is gonna make mango juice. lolol I ate one though, it's all so wasteful.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:36pm
I like to dice Mangoes and zip-lock them in the freezer to add to my smoothies.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:44pm
a muss me alone like ceraasie tea (sercy tea as we call it a country) wid nuff suga but nothing nuh bad like some chocolate tea wid

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:47pm
anybody here ever had mamee....mi realize eh nuff town ppl dont even know what it is 

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:48pm

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 4:50pm

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I thought it was strange but figured maybe since it wasnt an english colonized country breadfruit didnt reach your shores. But thought to myself, that still didnt make sense as to why Breadfruit is absent from Haiti someone must have brought it there for the same reason (slave food) or any other. Thanks JP. HL just didnt see it lolol

afro y'all so damn hurtfulCryCryCry the smoke from the breadfruit is burning my eyes now and i just went outside to help my cousin pick mangoes (which i sucked at), then mom says "pick some ackees" *sound the death bells* DeadDeadDead

There are over 700 black mangoes wasting away outside, but i dont like them and no one is gonna make mango juice. lolol I ate one though, it's all so wasteful.

she might know it as "arbre véritable". Sometimes Haitians call it that way instead of fruit à pain.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:26pm

anybody here ever had mamee....mi realize eh nuff town ppl dont even know what it is 

Don't remember what it looks like, but I have had something called mamee apple.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:27pm

Yes... town people don't even know rose apple

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:28pm

I hope this doesn't go the same way as the Bolivians and Quinoa, now the poor Bolivians cannot afford to buy it since its become such a hot commodity as a superfood...

okay! as soon as the hipsters hear about it the prices skyrocket...all I know is they better leave collard greens alone. they already got kale

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:28pm
Mammee apple. Never had. but i know it

Hog plum. Never had it

Star apple i lurvee. 

Custard apple. I've had havent had in over 7 years though. I was gonna post about it in the national dish thread.

You know oonu really effin brite, rose apple smell just like rose!

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:29pm
Hoggggg Plum!!!... Diane..wah di clastttt. But then again a town u come from

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:49pm

see it there you've never even heard of hog plum! Coolie or gully plum is another name.

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:51pm

see it there you've never even heard of hog plum! Coolie or gully plum is another name.

I have ...eaten it like crazy... climb nuff trees too. Cyan believe u never taste it yet

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:56pm

I have ...eaten it like crazy... climb nuff trees too. Cyan believe u never taste it yet

ohhhhhh i thought you were wondering about the name/fruit, having never heard it. You wondering why i havent eaten it EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed Uptown kids dont go to country for summer, they go to the states- that's what mommy said.LOLLOL UPTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 5:58pm

ohhhhhh i thought you were wondering about the name/fruit, having never heard it. You wondering why i havent eaten it EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed Uptown kids dont go to country for summer, they go to the states- that's what mommy said.LOLLOL" /> UPTOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did both...I use to go to the ountry for Easter. Travel about in the summer but my dad exposed us to a lot of agricultural things

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 6:02pm
Easter was for the Bahamas or staying in Jamaica. I had lots of fun in the Bahamas as a kid ohh the conch and the jonkanoo! Fruits are veggies are great when someone else chops them and peels them cleans them and fixes them for me. 

Just why would i be ever climbing a tree though? The last time i did it i got stuck (to scared to move up or climb down) my uncle had to take me down bwhhhahwhahah

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:39pm
whos had barge or stew barge 

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:40pm

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:41pm
In Jamaica it is known by various names in different Parishes such as chermina, jimbelin, Otaheite gooseberry, sour barge. In Grenada it is called damsel, Trinidad raspberry

Date Posted: Jul 01 2014 at 10:43pm

Date Posted: Jul 02 2014 at 12:24am
Some of these things I have not thought about in so many years.

Brings back a lot of fond memories.

happy tears

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 11:30am

stew and natural...very good. but when it sour...it mek u yeye run wata

Date Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 1:29pm