Print Page | Close Window

RIP Bobby Womack

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371913
Printed Date: Oct 18 2018 at 5:33pm

Topic: RIP Bobby Womack
Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Subject: RIP Bobby Womack
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:49pm

Music News

• http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=875228" rel="nofollow - Share

• http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=875228#ic-anchor" rel="nofollow - 3

©GettyImages.com / Bobby Womack
© GettyImages.com / Bobby Womack
Bobby Womack, legendary soul singer, dead at 70
June 27, 2014, 8:28 PM EST

By Jethro Nededog
http://www.thewrap.com" rel="nofollow - TheWrap

Soul singer https://www.bing.com/search?q=bobby%20womack&filters=ufn%3abobby%20womack+sid%3aa09c7332-879b-1045-75e8-f8208e11c334&FORM=MSNMEP" rel="nofollow - Bobby Womack has died, his record company, https://www.bing.com/search?q=xl%20recordings&filters=ufn%3axl%20recordings+sid%3a1f72144a-21ef-fe2c-cac6-96f0b7983ed4&FORM=MSNMEP" rel="nofollow - XL Recordings , confirmed. The cause of death is currently unknown.

The singer's career spanned seven decades and included '80s hit "If You Think You're Lonely Now."

Womack began his career in the early 1960s as the lead singer of his family musical group The Valentinos. He was also Sam Cooke's backing guitarist.

In the late-60s, Womack went solo. In 1968, he signed with Minit Records and recorded his first solo album, "Fly Me To The Moon," which included his first major hit with a cover of The Mamas & The Papas' "California Dreamin'."

More to come ...

Replies:
Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:51pm
damn.  i was just talking about him in the remake thread!  rip!

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:53pm
R.I.P

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:57pm
This hurt me for real. I listen to him all the time. "Thats the way I feel about cha," is one of my favorite songs. May he rest in peace!!!

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:05pm
He had one helluva life!
I will have to watch his unsung episode again, though it was only a tip of the iceberg of his life.

Ugh. I tried to post Love Has Finally Come at Last and my all time fav "No matter how high i get, i'll still be looking up to you" but i couldnt post correctlyCry

Posted By: sunshine321511
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:27pm

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:30pm
This is the FULL ALBUM.....

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:30pm
Thought he had already passed....he is responsible for some great classics

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:32pm

Posted By: indiecat
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:34pm
RIP to this soul brotha, today is a day where I actually am in the mood to listen to his music. 70 seems young to die these days.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:35pm
Thank you for sharing the videos, Sunshine!!!Clap

Posted By: spencer4hire
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

This hurt me for real. I listen to him all the time. "Thats the way I feel about cha," is one of my favorite songs. May he rest in peace!!!

That's my favorite too !
RIP Bobby

Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:49pm
rip

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:32pm
rip. Loved his music.

(whoo lawd at that I wish he didn't trust me so much song.  Mem-- mo---ries)

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:35pm
Heart

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:46pm
My Mum used to play if You think You're Lonely religiously at the all night tunc parties

Posted By: NadiaPost
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:09pm
Up On 110th Street was my Daddies song. I was a bit surprised he married Sam Cookes widow when he and Sam were suppose to be bestfriends. I guess things happen when you are grieving.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

rip. Loved his music.

(whoo lawd at that I wish he didn't trust me so much song.  Mem-- mo---ries)

My classmates and I were learning way too much about life lessons at an early age from that song and some of his other songsLOL We would be writing out the lyrics at lunchtime and having discussions to try to rationalize the how and why of the scenarios in the songs.LOL

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:40pm

lol NJ.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:49pm

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:32am
Hope he is at Rest! And Hopefully his love ones will find peace .. His music as touch so many and spanned Generations!

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 1:36am

rip. Loved his music whoo lawd at that I wish he didn't trust me so much song.  Mem-- mo---ries)

There is a very sick story behind the "inspiration" for this song. I'm shocked no one has brought it up yet......or do ya'll know?

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 2:15am
^^I do know (but I'm old lol)

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 2:19am
did yall read his autobiography? That's a thread in itself.

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 2:31am
R.I.P. Cry

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:00am
R.I.P Bobby

Posted By: spencer4hire
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:17am
...yep he married Sam's widow and was sleeping with her daughter . The daughter later married his brother .

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:33am
rip BOBBY

think it oveeeer, think it over giiiiiirl!

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:37am
Originally posted by Qualified Qualified wrote:

i should have come to page one and just quoted

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 2:53pm
I played "If You Think Your Lonely Now" over and over this morning for him.
RIP Bobby!

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by spencer4hire spencer4hire wrote:

...yep he married Sam's widow and was sleeping with her daughter . The daughter later married his brother .

Wait what? Ummmmm I don't know how I feel about this.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:20pm
yeah and supposedly after his wife discovered the affair she told him to get out, chased him w/ a gun and shot him. The daughter married Bobby's brother and never spoke to her mom (bobby's wife) again.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:21pm
oh and sam's brothers beat Bobby to a bloody pulp when they found out he married their SIL.  Wife/Sam's widow tried to shoot them to stop the beating, but Bobby had unloaded the gun. So when she fired it just clicked.

eta: I guess Sam's wife liked to shoot people.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:37pm
Whoa Purp...Well damn

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:39pm
more Womack family juice (nobody cares lol)

The brother (cecil womack) that married the daughter, later went on to marry Mary Wells . Mary  had children with him; then Mary later  married and had children with  another Womack brother (curtis).

eta: 'they say' she had an affair w/ one brother while married to the other one.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by NadiaPost NadiaPost wrote:

Whoa Purp...Well damn

yeah I didn't want to bring all the juice into his RIP thread lol but since we're here...

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:00pm

Heart

I forgot about this song....this is one of the BEST ONES!!!

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:24pm
I rotate several of his jams. I hate to see he was involved in mess. RIP.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:27pm
i need that book!!!!

ratchetlife!

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:29pm
awwww!

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:51pm
Why are y'all saying "slept with", Lisa was a CHILD, Bobby used to sneak in her room at night and molest her.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:54pm
Linda, not Lisa

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 6:59pm
Sam Cooke was scandalous as hell too. I read where he had 3 women pregnant at the same time AND they all gave birth within 5 weeks of each other.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 7:08pm
oh no.  After reading that she married his brother, I thought that meant she was an adult.

eta: was she underage when she married too?Cry

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 7:21pm
No, She was an adult when she married the nephew.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 7:34pm
I don't know how I feel about this. He made great music but he sounds like a perv. I'm conflicted. I don't like pervs. R. Kelly is a perv and he makes great music and Elvis was a big fat ass perv who white people still worship. I heard Sam Cooke got shot by a female madamn.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 8:26pm
I think I need to go to the library and borrow his bio.

Date Posted: Jun 28 2014 at 8:26pm
Cecil and Linda Cooke-Womack were 6 years apart and they met/connected when they were still children. He proposed to her when she was under age though they claim that they were not physical at the time and she said, no, we're too young...etc and they moved on.  Cecil then married Mary Wells for @ 10 yrs. After his divorce, he & Linda reconnected, quickly married, had a rack of kids, has success as a musical duo (Womack & Womack - Baby I'm Scared of You, Love Wars, etc) and were married until his death last year.

When I was a kid, Linda was a beauty icon with those full features and big fluffy unrelaxed hair.

As far as Bobby is concerned, there are some really awful allegations about him that havent been posted that I prefer to let people from the local Cleveland area post about that would be better at giving their take on whether they think the story is valid...but he even made it clear on Unsung that he wasnt ish and that he was really bad on drugs, so I think that he probably did mess over everyone in his path.

Jodeci/KC & Jojo would never have existed if it werent for the smooth sound of Babby Womack's voice. Music-wise, he was in a league of his own.

Cecil Womack & Linda Cooke-Womack:

Date Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 9:40am
the number of times i saw my folks and their crunk friends get down to womack (sonny, joe, marvin and teddy) in our living room.. is probably why i love that era of music so much ..

Date Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 9:56am
my memories are tied to my older sibs. I remember hanging around them listening to those good songs from that era. They would let me play DJ and change the records (old school lol)
 little did I know that they only LET me change records so they wouldn't have to get up. I loved it tho lol

Afro, you talking about Joe simon? or is that too old school for you?

Date Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:12am
yes joe simon and crying ass lonnie liston smith

Print Page | Close Window