Print Page | Close Window

Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371885
Printed Date: May 24 2018 at 1:52am

Topic: Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: Our America: Rising Rate Of HIV In DC...
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 7:51pm
watching?
tonight 10pm est

Lisa Ling Investigates The Rising Rate Of HIV In Washington, D.C.'s Poorest Wards (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/26/lisa-ling-hiv-aids-washington_n_5531223.html?page_version=legacy&view=print&comm_ref=false" rel="nofollow -
#news_entries #ad_sharebox_260x60 img { padding: 0px; margin: 0px; }

Daphnie is a 56-year-old woman in Washington, D.C. who has been living with http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/" rel="nofollow - HIV for nearly two decades. In the district's poorest wards, HIV infection rates are soaring among straight, black women.

In an effort to understand why, http://www.oprah.com/app/our-america-with-lisa-ling.html" rel="nofollow - Lisa Ling talks with Daphnie and her mother about the disease, which disproportionately affects black Americans. In the above http://www.oprah.com/own-our-america-lisa-ling/The-Silent-Spread-of-HIV" rel="nofollow - "Our America with Lisa Ling" video, she asks the women why they think HIV is so pervasive in their community.

Daphnie, who now works as a case manager at an organization that provides resources to women with HIV and AIDS, and says healthcare is an issue. "You don't have a lot of blacks who go regular to get checkup," she says. "That doesn't happen."

Another woman who works in a D.C. public health clinic tells Ling that when her clinic offered free testing, the stigma surrounding HIV stopped many people from getting tested. "They didn't want other people to know they were being tested for it," she says.

Daphnie's mother believes the stigma centers around a lack of education. "I myself was uneducated and I did not become educated until my daughter got sick, which I’m ashamed to say," she says.

http://www.oprah.com/own-our-america-lisa-ling/The-Silent-Spread-of-HIV" rel="nofollow - "Our America with Lisa Ling" explores the silent spread of HIV on Thursday, June 26 at 10 p.m. ET on http://www.oprah.com/channel_finder.html" rel="nofollow - OWN .

Replies:
Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:18pm
I will be watching.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:21pm
man this is crazy. according to the stats I wonder how many members here have HIV? I am not making a joke. I just think its crazy. I get tested at least once per year! Thank GOD I am free of this- but at least people feel like they can come clean- instead of living in shame and silence.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

man this is crazy. according to the stats I wonder how many members here have HIV? I am not making a joke. I just think its crazy. I get tested at least once per year! Thank GOD I am free of this- but at least people feel like they can come clean- instead of living in shame and silence.

Ain't no poor people on BHM.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:31pm
I might watch this. Maybe it will help me understand why in this day people are still contracting an easily avoidable disease.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I think most are poor,that's why they spend so much time on this forum waiting for a something amazing to happen???
but all jokes aside this is still killing Black women at an alarming rate!

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:39pm
I think part of it is due to having Sex with strangers/and infected partners and please don't say condoms because they are not 100 percent effective

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

aren't you on here waiting to find a man?

how poor are you?
awwww shyt lets……………………….. http://giphy.com/gifs/79UNsCtG89CBW" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:54pm

aren't you on here waiting to find a man?

how poor are you?
loving husband, do you think I am waiting on a women's forum to find a man you are mistaken that don't even make any logic? there is no shame in being poor as long as one is working on it?

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:55pm
People on here stay trying to hit me with low blows about my relationship status when they know they in the same boat or worst! I got plenty don't worry about me worry about your own status!

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:59pm

I think most are poor,that's why they spend so much time on this forum waiting for a something amazing to happen???

What makes you think that? Are you included?  I'm not sure if the bolded came off as a joke. I'm not personally offended. Just curious about why you made that assumption.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 8:59pm

I think part of it is due to having Sex with strangers/and infected partners and please don't say condoms because they are not 100 percent effective

I mean.....duhLOL

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:00pm
I have nothing to prove on here but to be honest some of you all need to come clean about the issues you struggling with, because its obvious something is WRONG with you... trying to attack anyone you feel has a trait you can exploit for your own amusement!

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:03pm

I have nothing to prove on here but to be honest some of you all need to come clean about the issues you struggling with, because its obvious something is WRONG with you... trying to attack anyone you feel has a trait you can exploit for your own amusement!

True, but I never attack members on here and never irl. I dislike bullying. I'm still curious about what I asked. 

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:04pm
how does being poor equate with having HIV? that is part of the point I was getting at HIV! I am not invested in poverty, if that is what you are asking

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:09pm
I am not RICH! so by some standards I am poor but I live in America, a roof running water money in my savings account, and can buy food and hair weave- if I want how are we defining poverty? lets talk about poverty of the mind!

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:10pm
@NG

I meant why do think most BHM members are poor.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:13pm
because most Americans are poor-

Posted By: Nisha
@sonny, he infected a lot of people

I wonder if some of them are watching

Posted By: sugabanana
Originally posted by MizzAmirah MizzAmirah wrote:

@NG

I meant why do think most BHM members are poor.

oh dear............................................................................................CC do you have any tea for this thread that I can sip on?

Posted By: rohan
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:14pm
Black people in the U.S are more likely to be poor than whites.  Poverty is associated with a lack of education.  Combine these two and you'll see almost every societal ill imaginable: high drug use, alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, sexual promiscuity, single-parent homes, and the list goes on and on.  

In DC's case, the 8th ward is a case-study for everything I mentioned here.  It's crazy that less than 4 miles from there you'll find some of the richest communities in the entire country.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:14pm

How to avoid it is easy...abstain from iv drug use and sex.

I'm more concerned about the why. Why is it that black women in particular seem to have a mindset that includes no care for their health? Especially when we clearly care about other more trivial things. I wonder if it's because people don't really die from HIV anymore, kind of like diabetes.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:26pm
bhm has all types of crazy and varying standards of poorness… 
ive been called a broke bitch on here myself.. 
i wouldnt pay NG any mind. 

i think people come up with things about other posters to try to make themselves feel better. 

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:30pm
Can we stay on topic?This is an interesting subject.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:31pm
Research shows that even in the poorest communities people know what condoms, unprotected sex, and HIV are due to television and public information campaigns.

I just don't understand what's missing that causes people to have unprotected sex. IV drug use and dirty needles I understand, because you're not in your right mind.

Edit: Maybe it's because people are having sex younger? Much more likely to make the decision to have unprotected sex then. And if nothing bad happens to you, you'll probably carry that habit into the future.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:32pm
so poor people are not on the internet? ok? and only the poor get HIV? ok and I am here getting tips from Non-married women Ok? lol it all is becoming clear now

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:33pm
i remember finding out someone i went to college with has AIDS....it's still shocking to me

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Research shows that even in the poorest communities people know what condoms, unprotected sex, and HIV are due to television and public information campaigns.

I just don't understand what's missing that causes people to have unprotected sex. IV drug use and dirty needles I understand, because you're not in your right mind.

its not just these people getting HIV...

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:35pm
I just started watching

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i remember finding out someone i went to college with has AIDS....it's still shocking to me

one? sad as that is, this is great. I lost quite a few college friends as a result of hiv/aids.

eta: by great I mean it shows progress. But still not enough.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:38pm
prison? hmmm

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:39pm
I think a lot of people are living disconnected from reality! I guess everyone is doing this to some degree- but people really think this can't happen to them

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:42pm

so poor people are not on the internet? ok? and only the poor get HIV? ok and I am here getting tips from Non-married women Ok? lol it all is becoming clear now

I dd not say that
Look just stay away from me I don't like you anymore

Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

one? sad as that is, this is great. I lost quite a few college friends as a result of hiv/aids.

eta: by great I mean it shows progress. But still not enough.

I mean people don't share their status. He is public with it after years of dealing with it privately and is now an advocate. I am sure there are more.  You know you kinda think of college as a gothic wonderland---or i mean that was its nickname...at that age it's not that I didn't know about AIDS or get tested.....I was just naive about it.  It seemed very "other."

Don't think anyone is saying this.  There is a digital divide though.  That's real.  And a racial divide when it comes to hiv rates.  That's real too.

I mean people don't share their status. He is public with it after years of dealing with it privately and is now an advocate. I am sure there are more.  You know you kinda think of college as a gothic wonderland---or i mean that was its nickname...at that age it's not that I didn't know about AIDS or get tested.....I was just naive about it.  It seemed very "other."

oh I get it. Yeah nobody was sharing their status back in the 80s either, only with close friends. Most family members wouldn't even visit at the hospital after hiv was mentioned.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:44pm

its not just these people getting HIV...

My focus is on black women (and black people in general).

It just seems to me there's a disconnect between sex education (even the minimal amt) and actually making sexually healthy decisions.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:48pm
oh no. Her church rejected her. I'm not surprised but that's sad.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:48pm
I agree we need to come up with some ideas

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:50pm
maybe the poor don't make good sexual health decisions bc they think it can't get any worse.....like if you have a kid you can always get welfare and government aid...you're surrounded by worst case scenarios all the time

rich people think bad things can't happen to them so they're reckless

maybe the middle class are the most self-aware and safest
....im making sh*t up obvi 

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:53pm

I just don't understand what's missing that causes people to have unprotected sex. 

Yeah people know they should use condoms and know what HIV is.  People just don't care.  

My take: People care more when their lives have meaning and they feel that they are able to effectively control what happens to them.  For a lot of people they don't feel that control.  Nothing in their lives really works out.  The tags on their cars (if they have one) are always expired, their lights are off...safe sex is just another part of their lives that doesn't work, as crazy as that sounds.  And drugs and alcohol are always there too.  I mean I know some of these folks back home, grew up with them, and there isn't a single thing in their lives that actually work well.  And with that hopeless feeling, people just don't care.  This is my guess on the "why": Hopelessness.

*kinda like what epitome said.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:53pm
I knew someone who is very dear to me that died from aids about 10 years ago.She contracted it from her husband. He dies soon after they found out. She said that she didn't understand what HIVwas at the time. She just kept telling people she had cancer and her kids still stick to that story until this day. I asked them why they wont just say it was aids and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Its still shameful for people to admit to having aids.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:56pm
yeah it's definitely still shameful

like disease like that .

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:57pm
I somewhat agree with Rohan but I think that its more of a mentality that some people have regardless of their wealth or lack of wealth. I see people like lil wayne spreading his seed all over america and i'm just like isn't he or these women scared of getting a disease. I think some people just like living carefree.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 9:57pm
Epitome and Rohan I think you're both right. And it's certainly born out in research. We've already seen that people's cognitive abilities around decision making are affected by poverty. Then you add how living in scarcity and always being in survival mode adds to that.

Ugh, now I feel even more hopeless. Because there isn't a fix for those things.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:02pm
Yeah I didn't want to say "they ain't go sh*t to lose" so what is AIDS really--but that's kinda what I meant. Your whole life is like a virus if you want to be really metaphorical and ish.

wait middle class black women are getting this too... at an alarming rate not watching this doc. does this talk about this?

Epitome and Rohan I think you're both right. And it's certainly born out in research. We've already seen that people's cognitive abilities around decision making are affected by poverty. Then you add how living in scarcity and always being in survival mode adds to that.

Ugh, now I feel even more hopeless. Because there isn't a fix for those things.

Yup, agreed totally, and the bold is clutch!  

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:05pm
we are talking like They... and this is part of the problem everyone thinks that they are not at risk!

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:07pm
that lady said fear is a reason that so many Af-american women are contracting it. I remember that 'down low book guy' said that too. He said that women are so happy to have a man in their bed they are afraid to bring up, let alone insist on condoms. I didn't believe him.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:11pm

we are talking like They... and this is part of the problem everyone thinks that they are not at risk!

I don't know if it's really a part of the problem. But maybe.

All I know is my risk is close to 0...but I still see it as "our" problem.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:12pm
That is sad. I wish more black women knew their worth.

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I wish this too, but for both men and women! If we had more value for each other then we could be so much greater

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:17pm
I may have missed it, but did that guy who lives in Rhode Island say if he tried to contact the people he had infected?

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 10:51pm

"They" refers to the poor black women in DC that this article is talking about. 

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 11:06pm

I was going to say this :-)

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 11:23pm
I watched this with the bf tonight. fell asleep midway though. I actually thought about PH when i saw it on the tv guideEmbarrassed

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 11:31pm

Naturesgift, is English your first language ? I'm not being disrespectful.

Also when you said Waiting for something amazing to happen??? did you mean drama on the board between members?

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 11:45pm
Didn't read the thread or see the program but something else to consider ...

access to treatment or the types of treatments being prescribed to blacks may have an impact on transmission rates

Studies have revealed how doctors show bias against blacks ... two studies off the top of my head, when prescribing pain meds and the other in diagnosis of disease for blacks

Date Posted: Jun 26 2014 at 11:47pm
NG sounds very much like two other posters

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:54am
I think it also has to do with peoples attitudes towards sex. People have Sex with other people so freely and at the same time think its too soon to say: "I love you."

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 1:03am
I did not watch this documentary so I can't comment on it. But what I would like to comment on is the fact that as a Black community we still continue to act like this is isolated to the underclass when HIV is crossing all classes...

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 1:04am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

NG sounds very much like two other posters

what is it that you mean?

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 1:05am
It's 2014.  People need to protect themselves, the information is everywhere.  If I were to contract it I wouldn't have anyone to blame but myself...it's way too embedded in our community for 20 plus years to pretend not to know better.  We all take the risk when we have sex.  I agree with the statements about learning your worth...I blame that over education.  You can't educate the willfully ignorant, the education is very public and accessible.  I doubt that anyone in America that tests positive will claim that they were never told anything.  A bunch of women being infected by careless men that only care about getting their dck wet.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 1:18am
Originally posted by rohan rohan wrote:

I was going to say this :-)
Well in the clip it says Americas' silent epidemic * Black America, it had both men and women as a focus subtitle: Our America so for me THEY includes all of us

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:26am

How can we do that when within the first couple of pages of an HIV thread, women start insulting each other because of their relationship status???!!Confused We base our value on whether we are single, have a baby daddy, boyfriend, or husband. It's sick.

Also, I thought it was a well known fact that there was a strong correlation between socioeconomic status and HIV/AIDS. It's not even debatable. 

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 7:38am
nvm

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 8:58am
And then there's stuff like this in DC.  You can't even make this sh*t up.

Jury finds HIV/AIDS grant money was used to build a strip club.
http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/24/dc-jury-finds-hivaids-grant-money-was-used-build-s/#.U6sue7hb16M.facebook" rel="nofollow - http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/24/dc-jury-finds-hivaids-grant-money-was-used-build-s/#.U6sue7hb16M.facebook

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:32am
NG first made a comment about there being people on bhm with hiv because most of bhm is poor and thats why theyre on here so much.. 

the man plan thing wasnt out of left field.. 

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:33am

Girl you already know you can't have a serious convo with these heaux without them bringing up something irrelevant. HIV is a SERIOUS topic and the fact that someone tried to derail this thread for a few likes when this disease is killing people every hour of the day shows how inept her life is. 

There are so many people that don't know about free testing centers. I called Planned Parenthood a while ago and was told the cost started at around $80+ I believe. There's a clinic literally a few blocks from the PP that does it for free...and gives free condoms and tickets to baseball games! LOL Women need to learn to protect themselves, especially. Many of our women are in what they believe are monogamous relationships. Yet, their men are sexing down other men, women, etc., and bringing a special gift back to their wives/girlfriends. It's disgusting and I honestly think it should be criminalized. It's one thing to unknowingly infect your partner because of an unknown HIV positive status that you may have acquired from a previous relationship or time in your life, but when you KNOW you're sleeping around in a monogamous relationship, you should be held liable for infecting your partner. 

I had what I thought was an HIV scare and it literally destroyed me for the few weeks I assumed I had contracted it. Although I'd used a condom so many thoughts ran threw my mind. Then the symptoms came. Oh, the symptoms.

Never Google HIV symptoms if you think you may have been exposed. It literally killed me mentally because I attributed every cough, sore throat, episode of fatigue, etc with the disease. Come to find out, I'd just acquired food poisoning.

I truly pray and really want to do something for those who are affected by the disease. I can't even imagine and I don't want to imagine. But, prevention is key. I still can't fathom how in this day, people are still having unprotected sex with people they barely know and not getting tested. Way too many consequences. I need for our women to stop learning this the hard way. 

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:36am
No feelings were caught. I would just hope in a thread about a disease this will affect 1 in every 32 black women and 1 in every 16 black men, some sense of couth would enter your brain.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:37am
I came back to read the serious responses. Don't worry about me.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:42am
femme who is the 'her' you are you referring to? 

lol@ yall acting like you didnt see NG take a jab at all of bhm first… 
her response couldnt have been serious 

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:44am
And I literally think every woman should have the mindset that every male they meet is HIV positive. It could save so many lives. Just get tested. The rapid test at many of these clinics takes 5-10 minutes! What's 5-10 minutes versus having to pay hundreds-thousands for treatment for the rest of your life? What's 5-10 minutes to saving your life? If someone objects then consider yourself lucky because he/she may have something to hide. 

eta: I'm not responding to the personal crap y'all have going on. HIV IS KILLING OUR COMMUNITY. I repeat, HIV IS KILLING BLACK MEN AND WOMEN.

We are the group LEAST likely to be able to afford treatment yet we have the fastest growing rates in the country.

There are people on this very board who do not know their status. There are anonymous women and men who browse these boards every day who need to see threads like this as a catalyst to get tested. Take your issues to the Random Thoughts thread or something. 

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:45am
nvm, dont answer.. i wont derail the thread any further. 
continue on with your positive, uplifting, serious conversation about how to better our women whilst inbetween commenting on ineptness and poorness of bhm. 

Posted By: babelipsss
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:47am
Being thought of as poor is worse than HIV?!? We have a long way to go.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 9:51am
Not to mention herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea, etc. 

I just wish our women would get tested! 

Stop settling for these in the "heat-of-the-moment" acts of "love" only to find out that man who really just wanted to f*ck then bounce left you with a lifelong affliction. It's not worth it. It's never worth it!!

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:08am
babel, that wasnt the point… 

but anyways, i know ive been vocal on here about my carelessness as far as protecting myself before… 
im not about that life anymore and it is a very serious issue.. and people do think, 'it wont happen to me..' but yea, im going to be more responsible about it. i was dumb. 

Posted By: babelipsss
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:12am
My post was to no one in particular. The tone of the thread actually saddens me as a black female.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 10:22am
I don't believe the higher HIV rates are due to black women being less responsible, less aware or less educated

There's likely a systemic reason for this

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:10am
The CDC has weighed in as well.  

African Americans face a number of challenges that contribute to the higher rates of HIV infection. The greater number of people living with HIV (prevalence) in African American communities and the fact that African Americans tend to have sex with partners of the same race/ethnicity means that they face a greater risk of HIV infection with each new sexual encounter.

African American communities continue to experience higher rates of other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) compared with other racial/ethnic communities in the United States. Having an STI can significantly increase the chance of getting or transmitting HIV.

Lack of awareness of HIV status can affect HIV rates in communities. Almost 85,000 HIV-infected people in the African American community in 2010 were unaware of their HIV status. Diagnosis late in the course of HIV infection is common, which results in missed opportunities to get early medical care and prevent transmission to others.

The poverty rate is higher among African Americans than other racial/ethnic groups. Thesocioeconomic issues associated with poverty—including limited access to high-quality health care, housing, and HIV prevention education—directly and indirectly increase the risk for HIV infection, and affect the health of people living with and at risk for HIV. These factors may explain why African Americans have worse outcomes on the HIV continuum of care, including lower rates of linkage to care, retention in care, being prescribed HIV treatment, and viral suppression. New data from 2010 indicate that 75% of HIV-infected African Americans aged 13 or older are linked to care, 48% are retained in care, 46% are prescribed antiretroviral therapy, and only 35% are virally suppressed.

Stigma, fear, discrimination, homophobia, and negative perceptions about HIV testing can also place too many African Americans at higher risk. Many at risk for HIV fear discrimination and rejection more than infection and may choose not to seek testing.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:39am
Thanks Jasmine! Damn, that's pretty much everything right there!

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:41am

I don't believe the higher HIV rates are due to black women being less responsible, less aware or less educated

There's likely a systemic reason for this

I don't either. We are not stupid people and it comes off very condescending to keep hearing how less educated and unaware we are. We know all of these things. So whatever the reason is, that's not the main one.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 11:43am
As BHM historian and a neutral party, the cass-cass started when NG said the people on BHM are poor because they sit around waiting for interesting thing to happen online. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the members are poor, perhaps we're all rich and have the leisure time to sit around on BHM. Any many shades of grey in between.

I wrote about HIV in the Caribbean last night but i erased it, didnt want to take the spotlight off DC/the AA comm. I'll say that it mirrors the AA community and is compounded by the acceptance/normalization of cheating/full knowledge of it, men using their partners neg. test as an indication of their own status and that grown folks don't know basic biology and how their anatomy works plus societal attitudes that encourage bearing children and a mistrust for contraceptives including condoms. I'll add women who "cant" ask for condoms to be used by their partners- the fear factor esp when he's the provider.

ETA It really grinds my gears when members say we can't have civil discussion on serious topics. We can, just come correct.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:21pm
nice discussion and good points.

thanks Diane for thinking of me when you saw this. I feel honored. Heart

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:28pm

I knew someone who is very dear to me that died from aids about 10 years ago.She contracted it from her husband. He dies soon after they found out. She said that she didn't understand what HIVwas at the time. She just kept telling people she had cancer and her kids still stick to that story until this day. I asked them why they wont just say it was aids and they act like they have no idea what I'm talking about. Its still shameful for people to admit to having aids.

Cry
this reminds me of my dear friend who died about 2 years after undergrad. His family told everyone it was cancer. I wanted to ask them how they knew what he had since they refused to visit himCry but out of respect for him I let them lie.

Posted By: pebbles251
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:31pm
People are aware. some do not care. Take for instance I went on vacation to the Caribbean last week and had 3 men beg me for sex. One even offered to swim with me and told me how he would sex me in the water. I quickly told him I am not a tourist and indeed a native of the island who is quite aware of the HIV Rate on that island. He said he did not care about HIV. smh

Too bad some poor tourist will fall for his sweet talk and catch his disease.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:35pm
I've not seen this thread in hours but I only made the comments about poor people because Sang, said there WERE NO POOR PEOPLE on BHM! that was a joke. I also don't understand why people are so pissed off about this... there are poor people everywhere.
I think its important that we discuss the issue of HIV and the way its impacting our communities.

Posted By: pebbles251
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Cry
this reminds me of my dear friend who died about 2 years after undergrad. His family still  everyone it was cancer. I wanted to ask them how they knew what he had since they refused to visit himCry but out of respect for him I let them lie.

I understand too well.  But its because people look down on you when you tell them your family died from HIV. Many people who family says died from cancer or pheneumonia died from complications developed because of HIV.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

And I literally think every woman should have the mindset that every male they meet is HIV positive. It could save so many lives. Just get tested. The rapid test at many of these clinics takes 5-10 minutes! What's 5-10 minutes versus having to pay hundreds-thousands for treatment for the rest of your life? What's 5-10 minutes to saving your life? If someone objects then consider yourself lucky because he/she may have something to hide. 

eta: I'm not responding to the personal crap y'all have going on. HIV IS KILLING OUR COMMUNITY. I repeat, HIV IS KILLING BLACK MEN AND WOMEN.

We are the group LEAST likely to be able to afford treatment yet we have the fastest growing rates in the country.

There are people on this very board who do not know their status. There are anonymous women and men who browse these boards every day who need to see threads like this as a catalyst to get tested. Take your issues to the Random Thoughts thread or something. 

I don't think that's a positive way to approach life or a relationship with that kind of distrust.  Rather women need to think positively and proactively.  Think "I need to protect myself and I am the best person to do that. I care about myself and my health and my future."  That way you're not living life under a cloud negativity bc that won't help relationships either & the onus isn't on someone else giving you something but on you protecting yourself. It's a subtle difference.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:43pm
Welp, here comes pebbles to back it up! I'm assuming i know where she was and I'll say YUPX1000!

Undercover condoms is having a sale, http://www.undercovercondoms.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.undercovercondoms.com/ Once again Crown Skinless has won the World's best condom award (at Condom Depot)- 13 years and running. it's also number 2 at undercovercondom.com, but their own undercover branded condom is number one *side eye*

http://www.condomdepot.com/reviews/best-condoms.cfm" rel="nofollow - http://www.condomdepot.com/reviews/best-condoms.cfm List of the World's Best Condoms etc

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:54pm
the concept of "universal precautions" is a good approach IMO! before you sleep with someone one of your dates should be to go and get tested- together! It may not seem romantic but its better than dealing with something later.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by pebbles251 pebbles251 wrote:

I understand too well.  But its because people look down on you when you tell them your family died from HIV. Many people who family says died from cancer or pheneumonia died from complications developed because of HIV.

yes this is trueCry.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 1:05pm
yes, we have to do more to erase the stigma of HIV

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 3:28pm
I have only read pages 10 & 11 and I agree 100% with Diane & Pebbles. People know the risk. Many people do not care. Many people feel invincible and think that HIV happens to other people. Many people feel that if you 'look' healthy, you are free of HIV. Many people are afraid to require their partners to wear condoms with fear of offending them. Some people are afraid to require their partner to wear a condom because they are afraid of domestic violence. Many see condomless sex as 'special' as if it is a gift shared with their partner. Many people are not knowledgeable of the amount of people that they encounter every day that are on medication for HIV but do not say a word.

There have been countless threads on BHM where people discuss their unprotected sexual encounters with strangers, acquaintances and committed partners. The same people later post that they are 'healthy' and as clean as a whistle though they have no health insurance, no doctor exams and no HIV testing.  A guy on BHM detailed how he only dates women with college education and a 'good job' because they have something to lose and would likely be using 'something' to prevent pregnancy and that he has unprotected sex with them because none of the many women that he has dealt with have ever asked him to wear a condom. None.
Lets be honest, he isnt getting tested and the woman are not being tested.

Certain things can not be explained. There is a weird veil over HIV awareness in the black community. People meet, fall in love and move the partner in quickly have unprotected sex daily with no HIV tests no nothing. The have a nice date with a person that they just met and for the sake of spontaneity, they are having sex with no condoms. They are not discussing & stressing HIV awareness & prevention with their  children. I hear boys at the train station on a regular basis talking about how they do no not use condoms with some of their girlfriends but use them with some of their other girlfriends. I have friends that work in HIV testing centers as well as in hospitals that are baffled by the amount of people from very young (14) to elderly that go to have an HIV test b/c they are forced by a relative and are tested positive.

Certain things can not be explained. Just know that it is relavent, there is a crisis and since it is now a black epidemic, no one in power gives a shyt, so it is up to you to educate yourself, your mate and your children.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 3:36pm
Also, google the term 'serial monogamy'. I remember reading a study when my friend was getting her Public Health Administration PhD and was working in AIDS prevention and the findings of the study showed that in the Black community, 'serial monogamy' is the norm. We meet, we now 'go together', after a few weeks/months we have unprotected sex like a married couple, have babies, break up then the next relationship is the same, then the next. No HIV testing is involved, no one know until they are pregnant and the doctor gives an HIV test or until they fall ill from full blown HIV.

A lot of medical doctors do not give an HIV test in the annual physical. You have to specifically request it. Then the doctor looks at you crazy and wants to know if you had sex with a gay man, had an orgy or high-risk sex or if you used intravenous drugs. Then after the doctor gives the test. That alone turns some people off and makes them say, well since I havent done those things, Im probably fineApprove. Wrong. Very wrong.

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 3:46pm
^great posts Glam

I have said this before on BHM, I had a black nurse at the school hospital tell me I only needed to use condoms 50% of the time.  And this was a highly ranked hospital.  I was only like 20 I think. I remember being so shocked and I said "what?" She was like "well nobody is safe 100% of the time so just try for 1/2 the time."

in hindsight I should have reported her reckless ass. How do you tell young folk that kind of sh*t?

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 3:55pm
interesting...

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 3:58pm
if you don't have insurance how do you manage your yearly well woman visit?

Date Posted: Jun 27 2014 at 4:09pm

if you don't have insurance how do you manage your yearly well woman visit?

Free clinics, health centers.

Print Page | Close Window