Print Page | Close Window

Pre-Nups Now Include Social Media Clause

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371822
Printed Date: Jun 19 2018 at 3:54pm

Topic: Pre-Nups Now Include Social Media Clause
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: Pre-Nups Now Include Social Media Clause
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:20pm
would you sign? LOL
saw this on a talk show today. I just said this in the Kandi thread. I didn't know people were doing it already. Makes sense though.

Prenups evolving to include new 'social media clause'

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/22/prenups-evolving-to-include-new-social-media-clause/#" rel="nofollow -

Prenuptial agreements are evolving to include new language called a "social media clause" that protects married couples - and exes - from a digital public relations disaster.

"When they have this social media clause, each party will agree not to post, tweet, or otherwise share via social media, positive, negative, insulting, embarrassing, or flattering images or content of the other," said New York-based attorney Ann-Margaret Carrozza.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Each party can customize the prenup, but Carrozza recommends keeping it as broad as possible, to the point of including online postings that could be considered positive.

"Because we want to guard against someone being able to defend themselves by saying 'oh, I thought you looked good in that photo, that's why I shared that photo,' so I make the clause broad enough that I don't care what you thought, you weren't allowed to share any photo after the date of the break up," said Carrozza.

If someone breaks the contract after the couple splits, Carrozza said the "sanctions are monetary in nature."

With divorce rates at more than 50 percent, the chances of an ex seeking revenge could be high.

"Wouldn't you want some type of guarantee that an angry ex - with the press of a button - couldn't publicly humiliate you on a global scale, thereby causing you repetitional harm that will possibly derail your professional career?" Carrozza asked.

Manhattan-based psychotherapist Diane Spear said that while you hopefully can trust your partner to be reasonable and loving, sometimes people are not what they seem.

"You could see a side of someone you wouldn't have believed existed when you're flushed with the romance and newness of the marriage," said Spear.

Even though prenups can be considered negative or positive for a relationship moving forward, the social media aspect of the contract is considered by some to be a future sign of problems.

"If you're marrying someone and you're concerned that they're going to put a nude picture of you on the Internet, and you have to put that into a prenup - there's probably a problem in the relationship before you're even getting married," said New York-based attorney David Centeno.

Replies:
Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:21pm
Dead

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:23pm
Standard in NDA's for a while now...and obviously an NDA should be an automatic part of the divorce settlement.

And with more states getting on the outlawing revenge PICS train, I'm not surprised.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:30pm
this is also why it's important to update your prenup periodically lol.

These such things didn't even exist when I got married -- in the dark ages

Posted By: slayfresh
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:36pm
With the things that happen on FB, twitter and IG I can't be surprised at all. 

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:41pm
when I first heard it I thought they were talking about a clause to prevent the person from posting any kind of pic of the other person on social media.  I was getting ready to call hub so we could LOL about it since he's already forbidden me from posting any pix of him these sites. It's ok tho since I rarely post any of me anyway so he doesn't have to worry.

but then I realized this was more specificLOL

Posted By: slayfresh
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:45pm
I have seen so many things play out on FB and IG. Women are good for exposing their husbands affairs on FB and IG in full detail posting photos and no filter at all. It's better than Maury.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:46pm
I haven't seen any of that yet. I mostly see subliminals  .

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:49pm
But damn not even positive stuff?

Out to dinner with my loving husband???

Cant even post that??
Why not?

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:49pm
They shouldn't be thinking about marriage if they can't handle social media.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

They shouldn't be thinking about marriage if they can't handle social media.

peoples lives get made and ruined by social media

i think its a very valid inclusion

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Cant even post that??
Why not?

you can't post anything after the date of the breakup.

eta: but I guess it's possible to be having dinner with you loving EX husband

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:06pm
I would sign because I wouldn't bother posting something negative if I divorced the guy. Bashing the ex on social media for all your friends and family members to know shows that you are bitter.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:07pm
So if the dude turns out to be a rapist, a pedophile, a bigamist or an ax murderer, you can't say nothin' about it? That clause is too broad. They should limit it to naked pictures and false allegations.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Cant even post that??
Why not?

you can't post anything after the date of the breakup.

eta: but I guess it's possible to be having dinner with you loving EX husband

Purp is so silly LOL

I should have read more. That clears it up

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:10pm
lol. I always assume the prenup is the woman's idea.

I may be wrong though lol

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:11pm
if a mofo even fixed his lips to ask me to sign a prenup in his favor...let alone one including something as specific as a social media clause...there certainly would be no marriage.  fool please.  i'd think he was the vindictive type himself actually...

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:13pm
wait...so these clauses include no social media at all?  not even shyt having nothing to do with the ex?  what?

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:18pm
I think it just means no posting about the ex once they become the ex.

I'm sure it can be tailored to your specific needs though lol

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:25pm
Not a bad idea.

Having respect for someone you once claimed to love.

Stripping someone of their dignity, and disclosing too many private matters is viscous and mean spirited.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:26pm
There are cases when that person needs to be put out on front street. Like the instances I pointed out initially. There are swindlers out there, or men who like to spread HIV and what not. I maintain that unless the allegations are unsubstantiated or criminal, the law shouldn't interfere.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:27pm

oh yeah i know.  i thought maybe this was the trend tho.

so like a gag order against speaking on the truth?  because if it were lies seems like there would be other ways to legally address and obtain retribution for said slander.  anyway,  i guess if the person wants to continue to get paid (or keep from paying), as outlined in the doc, they would agree and uphold.   i guess...

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

wait...so these clauses include no social media at all?  not even shyt having nothing to do with the ex?  what?

on 2nd thought, I wouldn't mind this rule for some LOL. Like the couples who post to each other on FB while in the next room at home (Thanks for the glass of water you just brought me, honey. You're welcome sweetie LOL)

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

There are cases when that person needs to be put out on front street. Like the instances I pointed out initially. There are swindlers out there, or men who like to spread HIV and what not. I maintain that unless the allegations are unsubstantiated or criminal, the law shouldn't interfere.

i'm thinking this is more of a civil contractual (pre-nup) matter.  meaning, the person who does the speaking would trigger the pre-nup clause that either suppresses their future payments (per the pre-nup) or causes them to have to pay the ex.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:37pm
lol purp.  i don't think i could take any man seriously who had recent habits of posting to and from his gf on social media.  and especially not social media beefs.  nicca what?  i'm grown.Sleepy

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:38pm
TC, yeah I hate reading couple's spats on FB. The subliminal ones are the worst. I click 'Hide' quick on a lot of posts.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:39pm
Lol I dont like that either Purp.

My older sister does it and I tell her I hate it.

She just posts more lol

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i'm thinking this is more of a civil contractual (pre-nup) matter.  meaning, the person who does the speaking would trigger the pre-nup clause that either suppresses their future payments (per the pre-nup) or causes them to have to pay the ex.

TC, I read that twice. In other words, you talk about him, you lose money, right? I would be pissed at being forbidden to speak about years of my own life though. And my own life would include my former mate. I understand the intent of the clause but whoever uses it better be mighty specific because that opens the door to a lot of abuse.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:43pm

Lol I dont like that either Purp.

My older sister does it and I tell her I hate it.

She just posts more lol

what?
the spats or the love notes? lol.

Oh no! am I a curmudgeon  because I hate love notes on fb!!Cry

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:45pm

Cant even post that??
Why not?

I understand why not. any and everything is fodder on SM....the most mundane/innocent things are twisted 
I say keep everything about your private life out of it.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:47pm

TC, I read that twice. In other words, you talk about him, you lose money, right? I would be pissed at being forbidden to speak about years of my own life though. And my own life would include my former mate. I understand the intent of the clause but whoever uses it better be mighty specific because that opens the door to a lot of abuse.

right.

and i also would feel some kind of way too especially if the shyt was true.  but i guess "if" i signed the pre-nup and i wanted to talk (on social media, book, interview or whetever) about it after the fact, i'd have to accept the consequence of lost payments or pay up.  i guess to talk or not to talk and suffer the consequences would depend on how ugly the truth was...

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:50pm
I cant get with any man who needs to be on social media like his life depends on it...

nicca, you 47...why you posting selfies @ 3am? foh

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

I cant get with any man who needs to be on social media like his life depends on it...

nicca, you 47...why you posting selfies @ 3am? foh

LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:54pm
lmaooooooo

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:54pm
sounds like yall have a fun friend list lol

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:56pm

Purp is so silly LOL

I should have read more. That clears it up

LOL

don't worry jones. You can post all the lovey dovey stuff you want to about your loving husband. 
*hides Jones FB posts*LOL

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 3:58pm
SO and I dont post on each other's pages...all the pics up of us were posted by friends @ parties etc. I look at his page now and then...no selfies etc. I'm good with that. I still got two good old photo albums. Pics are printed and kept in those.
People acting like SM is thine kingdom come.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 4:03pm
I'm a technological dinosaur. I opened an FB account just last year. Don't even fully understand how to use it, I never go in there.

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 4:07pm
does the s/o-spouse get your permission/approval of pix before posting your pix or do they have carte blanche to post away?

eta: you know how one person may think a pix is embarrassing or not flattering but the SO thinks it's cute and posts it LOL

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 4:53pm
With the advent of social media. Bullying is at a point where kids commit suicide. I know they're kids but
I can see how social media scrutiny by a disgruntled soon to be ex can cause all kinds of strife to adults also. 

Date Posted: Jun 24 2014 at 6:05pm
yes. It could ruin you professionally.  Have all kinds of things popping up when you're searched online.

Print Page | Close Window