Print Page | Close Window

Happy Juneteenth!

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371582
Printed Date: Nov 24 2017 at 5:01pm

Topic: Happy Juneteenth!
Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Subject: Happy Juneteenth!
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:10am
http://www.juneteenth.com/history.htm" rel="nofollow -

So, what are ya'll doing to celebrate? Any other thoughts on the holiday?

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:17am
There are some festivals nearby gonna check them out

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:56pm
I don't celebrate it. Males me feel some kind of way. Free for years and massa didn't bother to say! Darn! Stealing labor and owning folks...

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:02pm
happy juneteenth cr!!

i don't know of any happenings going on though. 

the city is still wrapped up in the finals...

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:18pm
They don't have events for this anywhere in my area lol happy juneteenth anyway though

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:26pm
we're having an event!

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:34pm
we have festivals but i havent gone since i was younger

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:40pm
explain juneteenth for non-americans (some non Americans too)

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:42pm
we should make it big, like THE holiday in America 

Like fourth of july

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

slaves didnt find out they were free til years after the Emancipation Proclamation b/c lincoln's document "freed" slaves in states he had no control over and not the ones he did.

the news to slaves in the south didnt come until years later (no twitter). hence juneteenth, the real celebration of freedom 

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:00pm
i didnt know.

Posted By: Butta Cookie
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:02pm
Happy Juneteenth!

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:38pm
http://glasstire.com/2011/06/22/claiming-art-is-also-reclaiming-space-juneteenth/blog-entry-juneteenth-parade-houston/" rel="nofollow">

Juneteenth could possibly be seen as the most significant event in American history after independence itself—the eradication of American slavery. On June 19, 1865, more than two years after President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, the word finally came down to slaves in Texas, the westernmost of the Confederate states.  Juneteenth became so significant in black communities in Texas that it inspired many to purchase and reserve a plot of land as a public park and celebration grounds.

Across many parts of Texas, freed people pooled their funds to purchase land specifically for their communities and festive Juneteenth gatherings — including Houston’s Emancipation Park, Mexia’s Booker T. Washington Park, and Emancipation Park in Austin.

Speeches were given, new works of art were created, dancing took place. Wagons were decorated with flowers and a parade would proceed around the park. In later years, automobiles were used to furnish rides around the race track, which encircled the outer edge of the parks. Now a century and half later these celebrations continue but have declined, yet these historic sites remain with memories of these rich cultural celebrations of public artistic expression among African-Americans.

http://glasstire.com/2011/06/22/claiming-art-is-also-reclaiming-space-juneteenth/blog-entry-juneteenth/" rel="nofollow">

http://glasstire.com/2011/06/22/claiming-art-is-also-reclaiming-space-juneteenth/blog-entry-juneteenthin-austin/" rel="nofollow">

http://glasstire.com/2011/06/22/claiming-art-is-also-reclaiming-space-juneteenth/m/" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:03pm
thanks southern

I've heard about juneteenth but not quite like that

This thread should be bigger 

100 page push 

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:12pm
I used to love going to our Juneteenth celebration. Most of the people I know don't know the significance of Juneteeth they just went for the food, to be seen in the hottest gear and famous acts. I stopped going because I got tired of running from bullets but it's like the most anticipated event in the city for Blacks.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:37pm
We were discussing this earlier today. I love that picture of the former slaves celebrating the holiday posing in their Sunday best.Thumbs Up

*side eying the fukk outta public school admin that didn't teach this*

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:56pm
When I first heard of it...I had no idea what it was.   And what's more is that the events we went to....nobody explained.  They just played spades and ate Bar b Que like any other Pic a Nic.

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 12:02am
I think I'd heard of Juneteenth but never understood what it was about/meant. It is not celebrated in my town either but I'm not surprised. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:27am
back home i went to the festival most years, i'm actually surprised that the festival has survived every year...i heard that a lot of states don't have celebrations.  it should get bigger though.  4th of july is NOTHING.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:31am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

slaves didnt find out they were free til years after the Emancipation Proclamation b/c lincoln's document "freed" slaves in states he had no control over and not the ones he did.

the news to slaves in the south didnt come until years later (no twitter). hence juneteenth, the real celebration of freedom 

DeadDeadLOL

anyway I feel like this needs to be a holiday that gives me a day off work.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:36am
Wait yeah I thought it was just a TX thing. But I assume most yall are talking about other states..I'm looking at what purp posted, and so why do other states celebrate it? Cause TX was the final state that made it official?

so this is even more reason to make it a much bigger deal

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:39am
Most folks in Cali don't know about this holiday

You have to go deep into the Black neighborhoods and to any MLK street just hear about it

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 1:42am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

Wait yeah I thought it was just a TX thing. But I assume most yall are talking about other states..I'm looking at what purp posted, and so why do other states celebrate it? Cause TX was the final state that made it official?

so this is even more reason to make it a much bigger deal

in San Francisco we celebrate it but most black people from here migrated from Texas, La, Arkansas...so the culture probably carried over.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jun 20 2014 at 2:54am
I almost wanna say I first learned about it in school, but I'm not sure. 

Print Page | Close Window