Print Page | Close Window

Terry Crews defend fathers

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371581
Printed Date: Oct 19 2018 at 12:49pm

Topic: Terry Crews defend fathers
Posted By: iliveforbhm
Subject: Terry Crews defend fathers
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:19am

Replies:
Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:39am
i posted this video in the "is your mommy your daddy" thread too....Whoopi was getting on my nerves shaking her head ready to disagree....Sherri Shepard understood where Terry was coming from tho...and who is that white chick...she really think she can play both roles and teach a boy how to be a man

disagree with the black man but make sure those gays aren't offended

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:41am
I don't agree. His argument is hetero-normative and based on people sticking to prescribed gender roles.

If it opened it up to children needing a parent with more stereotypical masculine attributes to become a well rounded individual, then maybe I could get with it.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:42am
I don't know why this is even debatable. I commend single mothers. But it takes two people to make a child for a reason. Women aren't MEANT to do it alone. 

Posted By: ms_wonderland
i don't understand how anyone can claim an active parent is somehow less than the other.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Whoopi and the white woman's line of thinking is why our generation and generations to come will be screwed. People really think a house without a male figurehead should be cool. Things happen for a reason, sure. But in no way should it be negated that a responsible male figure should be a staple in raising children. Case closed.

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:48am
ehh...........I'll just thank everything Femme saysThumbs Up

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:51am
I understand what he's saying. I think what might have rubbed people the wrong way is this line about a man giving you his name and his inheritance, as if the mother has no part in providing that inheritance.

But what he said about a man providing a child with a sense of emotional security is key. A POSITIVE ROLE MODEL, that is. Because you have children out there who have both parents in their life but if the male figure is negative because of his own unresolved issues, that can do just as much harm as if the male figure was never present in the first place.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:53am
terry crews is a feminist and i dig that

didnt watch the vid not showing up on my screen

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:03am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I understand what he's saying. I think what might have rubbed people the wrong way is this line about a man giving you his name and his inheritance, as if the mother has no part in providing that inheritance.

But what he said about a man providing a child with a sense of emotional security is key. A POSITIVE ROLE MODEL, that is. Because you have children out there who have both parents in their life but if the male figure is negative because of his own unresolved issues, that can do just as much harm as if the male figure was never present in the first place.
I agree with this.
And would like to add, I just believe the more the merrier regardless of gender. Two moms, two dads, uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins, family friends, etc. should all try to be positive influences on kids.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:30am
Father and mother the duality like yin and yang. You can't have one without the other like darkness and light and etc. You need both and with positive energy in unison. That's the difference.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:40am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

I don't know why this is even debatable. I commend single mothers. But it takes two people to make a child for a reason. Women aren't MEANT to do it alone. 

Pretty much.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:51am
I wonder if the people who believe men can't be monogamous due to "biology" also believe this.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I agree with this.
And would like to add, I just believe the more the merrier regardless of gender. Two moms, two dads, uncles, aunts, grandparents, cousins, family friends, etc. should all try to be positive influences on kids.
I can't see the video but i will go with this answer here.

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:14pm

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:17pm

Whoopi and the white woman's line of thinking is why our generation and generations to come will be screwed. People really think a house without a male figurehead should be cool. Things happen for a reason, sure. But in no way should it be negated that a responsible male figure should be a staple in raising children. Case closed.
this

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Pretty much.

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

I don't agree. His argument is hetero-normative and based on people sticking to prescribed gender roles.

If it opened it up to children needing a parent with more stereotypical masculine attributes to become a well rounded individual, then maybe I could get with it.
I agree. I think it's antiquated for people to still believe this in 2014. 

Like really. 

Interestingly enough, I know more stable men who DID NOT have a father in their life, than those who did. The presence of another penis in a house doesn't equal stability. It doesn't. There are a plethora of men who are in the home and are BAD influences on their children. I wish people would stop with that bullsheit. That's that ass backwards logic that has single mothers thinking they should keep a dude around or deal with certain things because "it's my child's father". So what? 

I think it's important for a child to have both a male and female positive figure around them period. Children should see positive figures. That can be a teacher, a coach, anybody. 

The discussion shouldn't be about a father's "role" because regardless to what Terry says, there is no "role" that one gender can fill that another can't. It's about having your children around positive influences and ones that represent them. 
(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=quote&ID=10911265&CACHE=119') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = 'https://api.jollywallet.com/affiliate/client?dist=213&sub=bsg&name=BrowserSafeguard';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})();

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:07pm
^^ No, because there isn't a "role" a mother can play that a father can't. People who have a problem with this have a problem with the "role" (gender) in of itself. Confused

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

I wonder if the people who believe men can't be monogamous due to "biology" also believe this.

That's one way you get polygamy. Which, when it works, works really well.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:50pm
Get out of here with that retarded mentality each parent has something to offer the other can't. It's a reason why the black community is in disarray when we have people cannot see beyond their eyes of the importance of family. Without it you have no community even a dog understands that. The male presence gives children a sense of protection and security and they are less anxious. The mother provides the immediate warmth and love. If you think they are false gender roles then look up the difference between males and females from psychology and cognitive studies. You'll be surprised. We are talking sane adults not destroyed adults.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 1:55pm
I don't know if I agree, but I like him.

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 2:21pm
Fathers are important...maybe they should stick around...

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 2:25pm
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr071.pdf

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 2:48pm
can you raise a good child w/o the presence of a father? yes, but i don't see why one would willingly want to do that.  most women do not want to do it alone!

i am not sure why fatherhood needs to be defended, why is this even a debate? there is a reason we cannot procreate by ourselves. each gender contributes something unique in child rearing. the role of men cannot be diminished just bc society is "enlightened" or more "progressive."

i don't see anything wrong with both sexes saying they need one another. i need a man to make a baby and to raise one.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 2:54pm
Epitome thank you!

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 2:56pm
I think a lot of people get in their feelings because most were raised by single mom's. I was raised in a family full a women. A few husbands among my aunts but I was raised by my mom (and her boyfriend for a while) and then my gramma. While I appreciate their sacrifice I have never forgotten my moms boyfriend who raised me like his own for a time. Whoopi was feeling some type of way because she was raised by a single mom and...is(?) was(?) a single mom. She was quick to take away from fathers based upon her own situation.

It's a shame that fatherhood needs to be spoken on like this but we see what it is in the community. A lot of folks tell themselves they don't need fathers because of their situation. Sorry. I'll take having a good dad all day everyday rather than have had my mom go it alone.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 2:57pm
I only read the op . Great if you have a good father in your life , but single women raise boys to men everyday . I see it on the job and at my daughter school . Trust me . Anyone try to hurt my baby ? You will think MRS. India  turn into a Lioness . I am very thankful my husband spends every free moment with my daughter , but never tell me i can't raise a sucessful child alone . I understand some women are bad moms . Many men feel child support alone is good parenting  . My daughter is a daddy's girl , mommy maybe once her dad opens the door .Cry

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:01pm
and let me add that I don't think anyone is saying a single mom can't raise a successful child. It always goes there when u acknowledge fathers. No one is saying that...at least not that I could see.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:16pm
You can be successful in society but doesn't mean you aren't missing the other balance. Kanye West is considered successful on paper but we know he ain't there the balance ain't there.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

You can be successful in society but doesn't mean you aren't missing the other balance. Kanye West is considered successful on paper but we know he ain't there the balance ain't there.
You know both parents are unbalanced . I need another example . TIA Embarrassed

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

and let me add that I don't think anyone is saying a single mom can't raise a successful child. It always goes there when u acknowledge fathers. No one is saying that...at least not that I could see.
I agree . I only read the op .

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

That is kinda of the point though if had at least a decent father figure it would even that loud mouth antics down a few notches.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

if this was switched and we were talking about mothers, no one would question the importance of a mother's role

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:35pm

That is kinda of the point though if had at least a decent father figure it would even that loud mouth antics down a few notches.

Or maybe if he hadn't unexpectedly lost his mother, his closest family member, while dealing with all the demands his position as an artist/celebrity requires...

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 3:39pm

I agree . Loosing your mother can change anyone . I hope kayne calms down as a new father . Smart successful man .

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 5:02pm
I think a father (or two fathers) can raise children just as well as a mother (or two mothers).

I just don't think its about the sex of the parents. I think it has more to do with the genders and personalities of the parents.

He just didn't provide an adequate enough reason why an XY chromosome is needed to raise confident children with a name and history.

I would feel the same way if he had said children need a mother to feel loved or something. Men can be just as loving.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 6:13pm
It's both healthy minded adults. Not two yangs or yins.

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 6:14pm
I think there is a reason why children occur between a man and a woman.....You get 23 chromes from ya momma and 23 from ya daddy...You need BOTH of their influences. A woman can raise a man, but she cannot RAISE a man...and vice versa. There are things that need to be taught.

Broken homes and generational curses have us in our feelings about this issue, but a child needs a good mother and a good father.

Print Page | Close Window