Print Page | Close Window

The Dominican Republic

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371552
Printed Date: Sep 24 2018 at 8:36am

Topic: The Dominican Republic
Posted By: creole booty
Subject: The Dominican Republic
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:05pm
I've looked and looked, but maybe I'm not asking google my question correctly, for it is an ignorant question. I don't mean to offend, and I apologize in advance.

Soooo, is the Dominican Republic the light skinned mixed side of the island, and Haiti is the black side? I read that the dr overthrew Haiti and now they have a caste system with black being on the bottom (surprise).

My main question is how is that acceptable? Do they talk about it? Is it obvious over there? R black visitors treated badly?

Whites owned them too, why aren't they mad at whites like they r at blacks?

I can assume any of these answers, but I'd rather get actual answers. I searched bhm for recent Dominican topics and plastic surgery came up

Replies:
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:08pm
I also read that like 90% of the dr is considered mixed/black, but Dominicans don't claim black. Their history is a tad different from ours so this blows my mind.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:10pm
I remember Zupreme commenting in threads like this in the past. Maybe if you search for her name with your 'words' something will come up

I miss her posts BTW.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I remember Zupreme commenting in threads like this in the past. Maybe if you search for her name with your 'words' something will come up

I miss her posts BTW.

She is dropping knowledge on twitter now.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:16pm
oh tell her purplehaze said hi and hope her business is going well.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:18pm
The Dominicans love their masters too much while the Spanish will spit in them and their children.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:20pm
OP: All this time, I thought that you were born and raised in Haiti...
In a nutshell, a lot of the anti-dark sentiment came from a dictator. Similar to other countries that have systematically made their dark skinned residents relatively powerless and invisible including Mexico.

I think that you may get the info that you need if you google Z's old bhm threads "forum.blackhairmedia.com + zupreme + dominican + black" or if you check out some blogs like 'aint i latina or if you begin to follow z's tumblr or twitter.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:23pm
also, to get more bhm results on your google, add 'site:'
site:forum.blackhairmedia.com

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:28pm
She has a blog (Zupreme)

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:34pm
What is her blog?

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 3:39pm
I ALWAYS SAY HAITIANS ARE THE MEXICANS OF THE west indies.

When I was 16 a classmate told me how he and is cousins would throw rocks at poor haitians or haitians sellinf ice cream. And haitian men are simply called boy.

I hurd stories of ppl getting kidnapped and forced to work the sugar cane feilds.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

What is her blog?

pls dont click quote, im going to delete it later:
http://bad-dominicana.tumblr.com/" rel="nofollow - http://bad-dominicana.tumblr.com/

http://t.co/K1WXPYuIl7" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:22pm

When I was 16 a classmate told me how he and is cousins would throw rocks at poor haitians or haitians sellinf ice cream. And haitian men are simply called boy.

I hurd stories of ppl getting kidnapped and forced to work the sugar cane feilds.

Yup. Socio-economics and race dictate that. The all mighty dollar is strong.
I'll be honest (and it's not a dig at OP at all, please don't take it that way). AAs fascination for the DR, Brazil and Puerto Rico is really starting to annoy me. It would be fine if it was all just healthy cultural curiosity but we all know there are other factors at play here.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:41pm
Got it nj thanks

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

OP: All this time, I thought that you were born and raised in Haiti...
In a nutshell, a lot of the anti-dark sentiment came from a dictator. Similar to other countries that have systematically made their dark skinned residents relatively powerless and invisible including Mexico.

I think that you may get the info that you need if you google Z's old bhm threads "forum.blackhairmedia.com + zupreme + dominican + black" or if you check out some blogs like 'aint i latina or if you begin to follow z's tumblr or twitter.

Thank you. I'm American creole through my grandmother from Louisiana, and I just found out recently that my grandfather was Haitian. Chicago born and raised!

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

I'll be honest (and it's not a dig at OP at all, please don't take it that way). AAs fascination for the DR, Brazil and Puerto Rico is really starting to annoy me. It would be fine if it was all just healthy cultural curiosity but we all know there are other factors at play here.

No offense taken. I'm writing a paper about the DR.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 4:58pm

I read that! I legit don't understand.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:06pm
When i visited i was treated great. I think if you're an attractive woman, you'll have no issues.LOL

however i also noticed the treatment of the Haitians...if you dark skinned, then you "may" experience some hate...

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:18pm
The DR hates blacks so much that they are in the process of denationalising blacks who are legally citizens, or citizens by birth. That is, blacks whose ancestors/parents were originally from Haiti. 

These people have never been to Haiti, and have nowhere to go back to.  SMH. The DR is their home.

I saw a piece where one student doctor says they (the relevant agency) refuses to give him his birth certificate, so he is unable to finish his course. The guy was in tears.

fvckers.

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:32pm
wow wow wow. All the Dominicans I know are super dark. Why would the hate be so high? Whats up with all the hate for the Haitians? I'm curious myself. 

It would be fine if it was all just healthy cultural curiosity but we all know there are other factors at play here.
@Jolie what other reason would a person want to dig deep into these issues?

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:51pm
^^Never mind. I guess I don't feel like getting into it today. OP comes from a good place though

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Jolie Jolie wrote:

It would be fine if it was all just healthy cultural curiosity but we all know there are other factors at play here.

i dontConfused...what is it?

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 5:59pm

^^Never mind. I guess I don't feel like getting into it today. OP comes from a good place though

Nah Jolie you can't just leave me hanging like that.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

*Sigh* It's just something I noticed. Sexual tourism and colorism.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 6:07pm

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

wow wow wow. All the Dominicans I know are super dark. Why would the hate be so high? Whats up with all the hate for the Haitians? I'm curious myself. 

Probably for same reasons Americans hate Mexicans...

no real reason at all. 

^^^add Trini Indians and Guyanese Indians to that...

sad sad world...

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 6:07pm

no real reason at all. 

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

no real reason at all. 

^^^add Trini Indians and Guyanese Indians to that...

sad sad world...

am i living under a rock. Americans hate Trini Indians and Guyanese Indians??? Ok please enlighten me. 

@jolie are they using Dominicans and Haitians for sex tourism?

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 6:49pm

am i living under a rock. Americans hate Trini Indians and Guyanese Indians??? Ok please enlighten me. 

Nope. Trini indians and Guyanese indians treat blacks/dark-skinned countrymen like they are beneath them as well. Colourism, and racism (to a larger extent than we would like to think) is rife in the Windies.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 7:29pm

please explain. im from a region that is filled with people from pr, dr, brazil, cuba (high caribbean & other spanish speaking country diversity in northern nj in general) so im not fascinated with any nationality as its very diverse & common here BUT, my exposure to how people in other regions react to them may relate to what you are saying...

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 7:33pm

*Sigh* It's just something I noticed. Sexual tourism and colorism.

It is also exoticism in general. pr/dr/brazilians are very rare to see in certain regions so some people get fascinated quickly. just like here, you see the chinese, but you rarely see japanese (the really stylish ones that are the norm in Cali), so people go kinda nuts over them when they see them. fetishizing the 'exotics'.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 7:35pm
Is it the miscegenation aspect JP?

Posted By: decemberdiamond
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 8:18pm
I am a woman who comes from a black american parent and a parent born and raised in the Dominican republic. Being an afro-latina has had many challenges. I've lived in America and in DR and each country has brought its challenges and positives. I'm not dark skin by any means my complexion is dead on with Zoe Saldana. But I have experienced both ends of the spectrum where I am not light enough for the hispanic side and I speak spanish "so I think I'm too good for the blacks side." Growing up in Brooklyn sucked sometimes so much so I spent most of my time with my family uptown in Dyckman where I felt comfortable and accepted. Living in DR my family was divided half accepted me half didn't. I love my roots and I love who I am but I am not defined by how light or dark I am and what language I speak. With all that said I'm taking another trip out to DR in 4 weeks to relax, enjoy the beauty of our beaches and visit with the family I am closest too. Our country has a strong background of following an evil dictator and his ways have set our country back for many years but there is still a lot of love there I do my best to enjoy both sides of my families, I love the US and I love DR.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 8:47pm
i just punched in the google search that i recommended on the previous page and this is one of the threads that came up. very interesting dialogue that should answer some of the questions that have come up. hope this helps someone:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/just-got-into-an-argument-with-this-dominican_topic273118_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/just-got-into-an-argument-with-this-dominican_topic273118_page1.html

Originally posted by Zupreme Zupreme wrote:

nightjasmine, blackness was pretty much a erased from the dominican consciousness thru-out colonization and instead labels for gradients between indian/white/black were created.....

and then once we the country was finally independent it pretty much stayed under the rule of the white supremacist colonialists that stayed.

then came trujillo and cemented it, as he was hitler status in his hatred for haitians and blacks. since they killed trujillo the country remained under the rule of one of his proteges, so its only in the 90's that the grip of white supremacism began to let go. it hasnt yet. they still run sh*t.

the DR is pretty much the birthplace of modern blackness as we know it. all the "good hair" , "bad hair" bs, the colorism, the tactics used to subjugate, divide and conquer black slaves all over the world, were honed in there 1st and then spread thruout the rest of the americas. unfortch they have been so isolated that it will take several generations to even semi-phaze out.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 7:17am
they're niccas who don't wanna be niccas

/end thread

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 9:49am
%7bhttp://f2.blackhairmedia.com/through-the-eyes-of-a-male-dominican_topic364300_page1.html?KW=zupreme" rel="nofollow - {http://f2.blackhairmedia.com/through-the-eyes-of-a-male-dominican_topic364300_page1.html?KW=zupreme

this is what i posted in that thread above^^^^^

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/black-in-latin-america_topic306995_page15.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/black-in-latin-america_topic306995_page15.html

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/featured/preview-black-in-latin-america/172/" rel="nofollow - http://www.pbs.org/wnet/black-in-latin-america/featured/preview-black-in-latin-america/172/

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/no-blacks-no-gays-says-dominican-bar_topic269143_page1.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/no-blacks-no-gays-says-dominican-bar_topic269143_page1.html
Watch Zupreme esp in this thread^^^^^ and the one below

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/just-got-into-an-argument-with-this-dominican_topic273118_page2.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/just-got-into-an-argument-with-this-dominican_topic273118_page2.html  

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:49am
We don't need them.....next

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 10:58am

When i visited i was treated great. I think if you're an attractive woman, you'll have no issues.LOL

however i also noticed the treatment of the Haitians...if you dark skinned, then you "may" experience some hate...

This, this this  Clap

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:13am
^^^Depends on your definition of attractive. Because their definition of attractive is oftentimes pretty stringent and skin tone based.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:23am

^^^Depends on your definition of attractive. Because their definition of attractive is oftentimes pretty stringent.

Yep. I consider these women drop dead gorgeous, but Im pretty sure the DR niccas who dont wanna be niccas most certainly wouldnt agree

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:26am

^^^Depends on your definition of attractive. Because their definition of attractive is oftentimes pretty stringent and skin tone based.

Yeah, morena clara y cara fina .....

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:28am
^^I love the first one. They would think she is the ugliest thing that ever walked down the earth.

I also know someone (a Haitian woman with light skinned and hazel eyes) who went on vacation in a resort in the DR. Granted, that wasn't a recent episode, at least 20 years ago. But when she got into the dining room, some important white Dominican locals strolled in and the waiters had the nerve to ask her to move to an inferior table! Of course, she refused. But that says a lot.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2014 at 11:31am
Even that gorgeous Dominican model (Arlena Sosa, I think her name is?) talked about the ugly prejudice she went through from the fashion industry in the DR when she was trying to make it as a model. And yet, she ended up being the face of Lancôme. She insists on saying that she is black and proud of it.

Print Page | Close Window