Print Page | Close Window

Food Stamps for fast food ? Agree or disagree?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371490
Printed Date: Apr 23 2018 at 3:03am

Topic: Food Stamps for fast food ? Agree or disagree?
Posted By: india100
Subject: Food Stamps for fast food ? Agree or disagree?
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:37am
http://www.kens5.com/news" rel="nofollow - News print logo

Food stamps for fast food: 48 local Jack in the Box locations accepting EBT

• Posted on June 13, 2014 at 8:28 PM

SAN ANTONIO -- The rumors are true. Forty-eight Jack in the Box locations around San Antonio are now accepting food-assistance payments for their fast-food meals.

Throughout the week, many locals noticed advertisements promoting the new payment option. Some took photos and posted them on social media.

According to a spokesperson for the franchise, the restaurant chain is in the process of rolling out technology that would allow all of its San Antonio locations to accept Lonestar, EBT, Cash Aid and TANF cards.

The following is a statement released to KENS 5 by the restaurant chain:

"This is a great program for those customers who need financial assistance to help them feed their families, especially for some seniors and those who cannot cook for themselves."

Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:45am
Don't like it for several reasons...

-subsidizing many companies who create the need for the SNAP program in the first place
-contributes over time to health care issues that end up being an expensive drain on our government, not to mention the effects on the individuals themselves
-reinforces the idea that it's somehow impossible/expensive to cook for yourself and eat in a healthy manner (even in so called "food deserts")
-it's not limited to food/necessities (which is a problem in general with SNAP)

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:48am
I don't agree. Just because you're on gvmt assistance shouldn't mean it should be wasted on fastfood. Healthy choices is what I agree on.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:49am
I see no problem with seniors . Many have transportation problems . Now i know why so many FF open close to low income neighborhoods . I hope the parents continue to purchase Healthy food for the children at least 5 days a week .

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:52am
Oh and just in case anyone needs this for themselves or others...

Here's a link to the FREE cookbook created by an NYU grad student for people living on SNAP (or a 4$/day budget).
http://www.leannebrown.ca/cookbooks/" rel="nofollow - http://www.leannebrown.ca/cookbooks/

There's also a kickstarter to help pay for printed versions of the books. But the pdf is free. Lots of good cheap recipes.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:53am
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

I don't agree. Just because you're on gvmt assistance shouldn't mean it should be wasted on fastfood. Healthy choices is what I agree on.
Right . I think once a month would be ok as a treat . I was shock to learn people can use a card at strip clubs . smh

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:56am
I need to invest in Jack in the Box and any other ff that accepts EBT asap....

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 11:59am
I am surprised, but only because here in NJ, it is not permissible to purchase prepared food (the hot buffet at the grocery store). In the past, you were able to buy steam crab legs, etc from the grocery store and the fish market, but that ended 1-2 yrs ago, so Im surprised that ff is permitted.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:01pm
The government would rather give them easy access to foods that will kill them than healthier alternatives because they're seen as expendable anyway. Providing a slow death to the poor makes our "health" care system richer.

So no. I don't like it.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:02pm
I use to love the old jack in the box when I was a kid.

Anyways, I'm here for this thread.Big smile

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:02pm
all valid points maysay that I agree with ... especially subsidizing companies that thrive on under paying workers

- if you have two jobs and kiss to pick up, time might not always be in your side. 
- they may not have jobs that have fridges and breakrooms

Yes proper planning, cooking meals ahead of time, etc do save time 

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:04pm
little Caesars won a lawsuit on EBT they did so well that all other pizza places had to drop their prices

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:06pm
Hmmm. I don't know how I feel about this. I'm not familiar with Jack in the box but it sounds like a greasy burger joint. I believe that most folk getting FS are able to cook. But I do know that there are some people who are homeless or old and aren't able to cook. But burgers and fries isn't good for anyone's health. I would rather a place like chipotle accepted benefits. Atleast you can get some fresh veggies. This is just going to add to the obesity in america. And that fast food crap is expensive. If you eat it often you will probably blow through all of your fs quickly. 

I can't stand feeding my kids that crap. If I know that we are going to be out all day I bring sandwiches, fruit, bottled water from the house. It saves money and its healthier.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:07pm
They are allowed to withdraw money off the card. So adding fast food places to the list accepting EBT is not suprising

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:08pm
I wonder if Mcdonalds excepts stamps or will join . I think some people will abuse the system . I notice a lot of parents with a cart full of steaks and food items for adults that are blessed with stamps . White folks live in the deli and organic section using stamps .

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:08pm
Not sure why I should be concern with what someone chooses to eat??
Food stamp recipients can eat bad foods purchased from grocery stores. I see no reason to limit their choices, it's food-let them eat what they choose.

Not everyone can cook for themselves.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:09pm
Well why not let the grease and fat get to their arteries.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:13pm
This reminds me of the thread about whether or not the government should control what you can and can't buy (junkfoods) with food stamps.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Brjasuga51 Brjasuga51 wrote:

They are allowed to withdraw money off the card. So adding fast food places to the list accepting EBT is not suprising
Stamps use to be seperate . I think that system works better to make sure the rent was paid . I wish they would give our family a few stamps. India would have her own Fridge . Now that i think about it , her items take up most of the space . I know we spend at least 100 bucks a week on my daughter food and snacks . I cook most days . My hubby loves leftovers thank God . 

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:17pm
Pretty much all fast food places (burger king, mcd's, jack in the crack, etc.) as well as those fast casual restaurants and grocery stores accept EBT here in cali. They accept both regular cash assistance (welfare) and SNAP assistance (food stamps).

There are lots of barriers to getting and cooking your own food. People who need SNAP are more likely to be living in places that don't have any appliances, like a motel room, or may be homeless. Many are physically unable to prepare their own food. And many just don't have the skills to grocery shop intelligently or to cook.

But to me it's not about policing people's food choices. It's about using the limited dollars we have wisely, and promoting the best possible choices we can. Fast food is certainly not the answer.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Pretty much all fast food places (burger king, mcd's, jack in the crack, etc.) as well as those fast casual restaurants and grocery stores accept EBT here in cali. They accept both regular cash assistance (welfare) and SNAP assistance (food stamps).

There are lots of barriers to getting and cooking your own food. People who need SNAP are more likely to be living in places that don't have any appliances, like a motel room, or may be homeless. Many are physically unable to prepare their own food. And many just don't have the skills to grocery shop intelligently or to cook.

But to me it's not about policing people's food choices. It's about using the limited dollars we have wisely, and promoting the best possible choices we can. Fast food is certainly not the answer.

I understand your view.
But, isn't that putting more limits and penalties on disadvantaged people?

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:22pm
Im against policing the poor however I dont see a need for this .
I agree with MaySay's points ...

I'm conflicted as to why they added this

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:22pm
Killing them slowly, are we? 

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:25pm
Against for hot foods

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:26pm
i wouldn't  assume the majority are always eating fast food...

and anyway, personally, i have issues with the so called cheap "healthy" shyt they sell in the grocery store...so meh.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:26pm
Heart attack central, no they should get discounts at health food joints.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i wouldn't  assume the majority are always eating fast food...

and anyway, personally, i have issues with the so called cheap "healthy" shyt they sell in the grocery store...so meh.
Gurrl lol . Healthy choice is awful  . Dead

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:29pm
There will always be limits. There's a limited amount of money available and a limited amount of care that society has for people in this position.

Not allowing SNAP funds to be used for fast food is no more a penalty than not allowing it to be used for alcohol or dog food.

There are alternatives that don't have the negative consequences for health, the budget, and the long-term success of the program.

I'd much rather allow use of SNAP funds to buy a home-bound or motel bound person a rice cooker or a crockpot that they can cook a whole meal in for years than using it on a fast food value meal that feeds them for an evening.

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:31pm
More profit for them other fast food places might follow.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

I understand your view.
But, isn't that putting more limits and penalties on disadvantaged people?
no. you are not allowed in most states.
Fast food has a low nutritional profile and having it is an advantage.

You can't buy alcohol either.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:33pm
First world problems

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Ok , but" they "could be you or anyone in the topic . I think the ability to use stamps at health food stores would be great .  

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:34pm

so maysay are you against them buying more expensive organic raw foods? since this seems to be about limits and ultimately costs, it seems for you...

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:36pm
It's about individual food choices.
Do these fast food eateries still offer $1 menus??

There are working poor who are only eating one meal or less a day so if they can eat for $2, it's better than hunger.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:37pm
I think food should be free! food people need to live should be free, if people want french fries then they should pay

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

basically the study said that the benefits helped the lower income families eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and dairy and drank fewer sugary beverages

so the program was doing what it was supposed to

sorry, this may not be relevant to this thread at all lol

EBT started being accepted at fast food places just about 3-4 years ago here. So I'd love to see a study after a decade has passed to assess what people are eating and look at whether there are increased health issues/costs.

I'd also like to know just how much money these places are making from these contracts. I think the LA Times did a story on it but couldn't get the actual numbers. Considering they already get tax breaks and underpay their employees, it's ridiculous to me that now they also get government money directly as well.

I have never heard of fast food joints accepting stamps here in MD. I just realized that places like WaWa and 7 Eleven accept them.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:38pm
would you be ok with them accepting ebt at healthy fast food places?

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Ok , but" they "could be you or anyone in the topic . I think the ability to use stamps at health food stores would be great .  

Great idea isn't never use stamps when I was poor.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:40pm

basically the study said that the benefits helped the lower income families eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and dairy and drank fewer sugary beverages

it does. They should focus on making them available at most farmers markets

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:40pm

would you be ok with them accepting ebt at healthy fast food places?

I would be. I am more for cooking healthy foods but if for some reason you can't and need to get already prepared foods I would rather places like chipotle, and this other place that I can't remember but they serve whole foods and lots of veggies. But I don't thinnk there are many "healthy" fast food places around.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:41pm

There are working poor who are only eating one meal or less a day so if they can eat for $2, it's better than hunger.

why yes.  yes they do.  even mcdonalds has a cheap/quick/healthly salad.  i mean, just as "healthy" as the heavily pesticide sprayed genetically altered veggies in the grocery market... Sleepy

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:43pm
First priority, feed as many hungry people possible. Second priority, feed them as healthfully as possible.

I think that SNAP should be modeled after the WIC program. We have an idea of what is "healthy", real whole foods should be the focus of the program. It doesn't matter whether you get the food from a convenience store, kroger/safeway, or Whole Foods.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Clap  but most of the locally organically grown veggies/fruits are more expensive of course...

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

I think food should be free! food people need to live should be free, if people want french fries then they should pay

I agree.

And we already have a mechanism for it. We feed school kids free breakfast and lunch. May as well send a few thousand extra meals and have any adults who need food assistance show up to pick up their breakfast and lunch in the morning. Obviously logistics would have to be worked out, but I think it could be one of the alternatives, certainly would encourage more parental involvement in school.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:49pm
I think that idea would be almost impossible to work maysay. People have so many different types of diets. Its easier to let people go to the grocery store and buy their own food that they prefer to eat. Who wants to be forced to stand in a food line everyday?

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:50pm

oh lordt.  the anti communist free market nut jobs are gonna get you!  lol

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:51pm
i'm all for local vertical indoor farming making a surge... 

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by petiteone29 petiteone29 wrote:

I think that idea would be almost impossible to work maysay. People have so many different types of diets. Its easier to let people go to the grocery store and buy their own food that they prefer to eat. Who wants to be forced to stand in a food line everyday?

i actually remember the gov't cheese/butter ect lines...

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:54pm
Off topic: In some hood corner stores you can buy beer with food stamps. I think they just scan a food item but not sure. When I was young my aunt gave me some food stamps(back when it was bills) and I went and got her some beer.

This is strictly for financial gain of the company and not the well being of those who have ebt.

Eta: back home they have a Farmer's market right outside of the WIC office and WIC provides you additional checks for the market. This is in the 'burbs, I'm not sure if they had the same thing in the inner-city.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:55pm

When people are hungry, they will stand in line. Where I used to work I would pass by a church that gave free food twice a week. Folks started lining up at 5am and the line would be around the block...old people with walkers, middle aged people, moms with little kids. Nobody wants to do it, but that's the reality.

And schoolkids have lots of different diets and allergies...guess what, if they want free lunch, they get what is given by the program and they're just fine.

Like I said, I am more concerned with hungry people being fed. If that means they have to stand in a line or only get rice and beans and broccoli, then so be it.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:55pm
I c u Jack in the Box.

Jack in the Box workers getting paid minimum wage and low hours, many on food assistance, now they can use that aid to put more money right back into the companies pockets.

Surprised more restaurants aren't lobbying for this.Stern Smile

I like the farmer's market idea too TC.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:57pm

Clap  but most of the locally organically grown veggies/fruits are more expensive of course...

not so much when in season.

The other side of that con is that people eat too damned much

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:02pm
I get your point maysay.  But from what I most families receiving fs are working poor. They have jobs. They just need some help. So standing in a line every single day just doesn't seem reasonable. And having the government dictate what they have to eat instead of giving them the option of purchasing their own food just seems kind of degrading to me.  

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:03pm

not so much when in season.

The other side of that con is that people eat too damned much

really???  the organically grown (pesticide free) stuff at farmers markets i go to are way more expensive that the crap i can get at jewels...

aldi's actually has some decent prices for locally organically grown veggies tho...in season, of course...

and i agree people do eat too much...lmaoooo 

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:03pm

You can use EBT at all of the vendors that are registered to accept EBT here. You can use EBT at the organic grocery stores here too.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:04pm
I know one of the proposed ideas was to double the value of dollars if spent on vegetables and fruit. Which is good, even though those things are very low calorie. I think it'd be better if they expanded it to include whole foods like rice, beans, and meat.

I also think receiving SNAP should require a mandatory class on grocery shopping and food preparation. And recipients should be given or allowed to buy helpful cooking tools like crockpots, rice cookers, and good knives.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

You can use EBT at all of the vendors that are registered to accept EBT here. You can use EBT at the organic grocery stores here too.

Yeah I was gonna say that. The whole foods, bj's(wholesale clubs), costco, farmers markets etc all accept ebt here. I just never heard of fast food joints doing it.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:07pm
This girl I used to work with told me about this seafood carryout that accepts ebt. They have raw and cooked seafood. So what they do is ring you up like you purchased raw food and then they cook it for you for "free". The wharf does this also.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:08pm

i agree. plus the issue of access. it is a reality that a person with physical and or mental handicaps that are eligible for ssi disability income as their sole income may not have a car and may not have the capacity to carry groceries and get bags of food back home and cook so it is a matter of survival for some people to have access to pre-prepared food.

I personally know a few transient people (homeless due to mental illness and drift from friend's couch to homeless shelters to living on the street).  I was talking to one of them on Friday and it is a reality that you can not just buy a big ole bag of groceries with ebt to make a meal when you are living on the streets 90% of the time. A soup kitchen is the 1st option for a relatively decent meal for the people that I know, but they can not always fill their belly off a cup of oatmeal and the 1 link of italian sausage at the soup kitchen. Food pantries are everywhere here but a bag of raw chicken isnt going to help a homeless person. The fast food EBT access will save lives, especially for homeless people with children.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:09pm
yep good point nj!

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:09pm

I get your point maysay.  But from what I most families receiving fs are working poor. They have jobs. They just need some help. So standing in a line every single day just doesn't seem reasonable. And having the government dictate what they have to eat instead of giving them the option of purchasing their own food just seems kind of degrading to me.  

Well, they wouldn't be standing in line every day. They'd be going to pick up a to go box of food, breakfast and lunch. Though ideally it would be box of real whole foods, not prepared meals.

The summer lunch programs here already provide food in a to-go manner. It's easy and fast so I know it can be done.

Being hungry is degrading. Eating food from the trash is degrading. Begging people for food is degrading. All of which I've done. Standing in a line and being given some food other people chose, not degrading at all. Not my favorite option, but not degrading.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:11pm
I remember the gov't cheese lines too TC. That was way back in the day. That cheese weighed like 20lbs and  was good as hell though. I remember the plain white cans and boxes of usda foods with the black letters. They had powdered eggs, cannned pork, beans and some other things I can't remember. 

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:11pm
I think this gives SNAP recipients some flexibity .
Ideally we want ppl cooking healthy meals but there are certain occasional instances that prevents that.

I see why this is warranted.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:16pm
If a person is so disabled that they can't leave their house, carry groceries, or warm up food in a microwave...and they also have no caretaker to do it for them..then we've seriously failed them as a society if the only option to feed them is to allow them to order pizza from domino's and chinese food.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:17pm

okay so we asked about fast food in the study (he even mentioned cali) but he didn't remember the results....I'll keep digging

.........we asked how often and how much did they spend on fast food

only found information for the control group, less than 10% reported eating one of their daily meals away from home at a fast food restaurant

Thank you for checking. I love to know data on this. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:18pm

I remember the gov't cheese lines too TC. That was way back in the day. That cheese weighed like 20lbs and  was good as hell though. I remember the plain white cans and boxes of usda foods with the black letters. They had powdered eggs, cannned pork, beans and some other things I can't remember. 

yep yep.  powdered milk too i think...

that cheese made the best.com grilled cheese sammiches!

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:19pm

If a person is so disabled that they can't leave their house, carry groceries, or warm up food in a microwave...and they also have no caretaker to do it for them..then we've seriously failed them as a society if the only option to feed them is to allow them to order pizza from domino's and chinese food.

that's not the only fast food options tho...and if they wanted that every now and then...i don't care...
IA

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:19pm

that's not the only fast food options tho...and if they wanted that every now and then...i don't care...

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:21pm

Well, they wouldn't be standing in line every day. They'd be going to pick up a to go box of food, breakfast and lunch. Though ideally it would be box of real whole foods, not prepared meals.

The summer lunch programs here already provide food in a to-go manner. It's easy and fast so I know it can be done.

Being hungry is degrading. Eating food from the trash is degrading. Begging people for food is degrading. All of which I've done. Standing in a line and being given some food other people chose, not degrading at all. Not my favorite option, but not degrading.

Point taken. I just feel like putting funds on a card is more convenient. But of course if there were no other options then I'm sure people would stand in those lines to feed their families. I would if I had to. But right now we have a system that works for those in need who aren't abusing it and buying beer and non food items. 

OAN I always appreciate your honesty about things that you have been through.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:21pm

I'm talking about that specific situation. If a  person is so disabled that they must rely on prepared foods then the only options available to them are places that deliver. Here that's pizza and chinese food.

If they had a caretaker or community help then they wouldn't need fast food in the first place. But a person in this position would completely dependent on it, it wouldn't be every now and then.

And that is not a good option for anyone.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:22pm

my ex co worker would be against this

she didn't think people getting assistance should buy cupcakes and the the like with their aid

come to find out this bish didn't eat her first ho ho until she was 17

no joke

she was mad her family grew up poor and they couldn't afford cupcakes and ish and felt if she went without so should others

but she would try and act like it was a health issue yet never mentioned community gardens and food education programs

also talked about walking 2 miles to whole foods with bags of food and said if she can do it everyone else can too

I feel like your coworker and I would get along.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:22pm

This girl I used to work with told me about this seafood carryout that accepts ebt. They have raw and cooked seafood. So what they do is ring you up like you purchased raw food and then they cook it for you for "free". The wharf does this also.

That was the norm here until 1-2 years ago, even at all grocery stores. It wasnt even considered a work around. The rules would usually be prominently stated on the wall of what could and couldnt be bought with EBT and the steaming at no charge was detailed in the posted sign so it wasnt covert. You would pay for the raw food b4 they steam the fish. I dont really know what made the gvmt stop that.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:24pm

okay so we asked about fast food in the study (he even mentioned cali) but he didn't remember the results....I'll keep digging

.........we asked how often and how much did they spend on fast food

only found information for the control group, less than 10% reported eating one of their daily meals away from home at a fast food restaurant

yeah...i wouldn't expect the majority would just wild out on fast food...

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:28pm

I'm talking about that specific situation. If a  person is so disabled that they must rely on prepared foods then the only options available to them are places that deliver. Here that's pizza and chinese food.

If they had a caretaker or community help then they wouldn't need fast food in the first place. But a person in this position would completely dependent on it, it wouldn't be every now and then.

oh here (in the hood mind you) other places deliver...but ok...i agree there should be other programs in place for completely sedentary citizens with no alternate  support whatsoever...

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:29pm

Fail or no fail, it is a reality.

I personally know and care about people that are in very bad situations like that. They make due the best that they can and are not always eligible for a caretaker. Most of the home health aide programs where the aide cooks for the recipient that offer benefits to people eligible for certain types of medicaid have very, very long waiting lists. I have helped people get onto the lists and I know people that are in management level at those companies and those programs are usually the 1st to get goverment cut backs when the gvmt balance their budgets.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:30pm
NJ I know it. Believe me, I see it all the time.

I just know that ultimately we're doing ourselves a disservice by going about things this way. These companies are the reason why people can't afford to feed themselves and their families. There are much better ways to get food to the people who need it.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:31pm

prefers to live some pseudo-struggle life

Dead

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:32pm

why yes.  yes they do.  even mcdonalds has a cheap/quick/healthly salad.  i mean, just as "healthy" as the heavily pesticide sprayed genetically altered veggies in the grocery market... Sleepy
You forgot the tons of water on Greens . Ouch I love mcdonalds crispy ranch salad . Smile

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:32pm
Lol Samone.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:33pm

Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Killing them slowly, are we? 

this.

if they wanna allow it be my guest...

Posted By: lanae
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

if people want french fries then they should pay

I agree. Food stamps are meant for survival not to satisfy your sweet tooth. Or fry craving

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:37pm

oh here (in the hood mind you) other places deliver...but ok...i agree there should be other programs in place for completely sedentary citizens with no alternate  support whatsoever...

I agree. Most grocery stores in the hood have a van that offers delivery option where you can call in your order. I have never asked how EBT comes into play, but I guess that they can read off the # and the food gets charged like a credit card. But here, pre-prepared food doesnt fall under that so they would still need to purchase food that requires prep or end up eating a lot of cereal and crap instead b/c they cant necessarily get to the stove for 3 meals a day.

Charitable organizations like Meals on Wheels (my 97 yr old granny volunteers for them and coordinates & supervises the preparation of the meals and I volunteer there too when I visit her) but even that is sometimes with budget cuts is just a cheese sandwich with that little round plastic carton of apple juice and 1 small apple or small orange which isnt enough food to fill an adult.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:40pm

just a cheese sandwich with that little round plastic carton of apple juice and 1 small apple or small orange which isnt enough food to fill an adult.

Cry

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:40pm

Yes . Everyone would meet at the local Fire department lol . My father would get so angry at mom for getting in the line lol . I refuse to try Spam or Can Ham with jelly water . Thank God we had options . I think mom went because everyone love the cheese . LOL

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:41pm

my ex co worker would be against this

she didn't think people getting assistance should buy cupcakes and the the like with their aid

come to find out this bish didn't eat her first ho ho until she was 17

no joke

she was mad her family grew up poor and they couldn't afford cupcakes and ish and felt if she went without so should others

but she would try and act like it was a health issue yet never mentioned community gardens and food education programs

also talked about walking 2 miles to whole foods with bags of food and said if she can do it everyone else can too

I have seen this so many times. A lot of people with these conservative views used to be poor themselves and despise anything related to being poor. Reminds me of house speaker John Boehner. He grew up poor and he loathes poor people. He refuses to pass an emergency unemployment extension bill because he believes that unemployed people are lazy and don't deserve gov't handouts.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:44pm

. My father would get so angry at mom for getting in the line lol . I refuse to try Spam or Can Ham with jelly water . Thank God we had options . I think mom went because everyone love the cheese . LOL

lmaooooooooooo.  that cheese was EVERYTHING.  lol that your mom defied dad, lined up and got some!!!!!!!!LOL

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:47pm

Yes . Everyone would meet at the local Fire department lol . My father would get so angry at mom for getting in the line lol . I refuse to try Spam or Can Ham with jelly water . Thank God we had options . I think mom went because everyone love the cheese . LOL

Yes, and that food was actually available because of a  'governmet surplus' that existed at the time (the way that farmers were subsidized changed, etc and it caused a surplus of certain foods so it was a one time shot for a few years where across the country, everyone could get the 'free' food (I put free in quotes b/c it wasnt a hand out, it was already paid for by gvmt dollars) so it was something that everyone could take advantage of and benefit from without any regulations on your income level.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:48pm

First . I am so proud of you .Heart I recall your post in past topics lol . Maysay meals on wheels taste awful . Many seniors sit in mcdonalds all day drinking coffee until the dinner dollar menu . Something is wrong when you get old and need to choose meds or food . I try to help . Cry

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:49pm

Yes, and that food was actually available because of a  'governmet surplus' that existed at the time (the way that farmers were subsidized changed, etc and it caused a surplus of certain foods so it was a one time shot for a few years where across the country, everyone could get the 'free' food (I put free in quotes b/c it wasnt a hand out, it was already paid for by gvmt dollars) so it was something that everyone could take advantage of and benefit from without any regulations on your income level.
Right . I can't imagine how long the lines would be today .

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:51pm
yep the food was a result of the surplus that was already paid for thru govt subsidies....

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:57pm
India, spam is a delicacy.

You need to go to Hawaii and have it hooked up for you. It is GOOD.

Now I want some.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:58pm
Dead
I cannot get down with the spam. What the hell is it??

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:59pm
eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww spam is worse than fast food....Sick

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:02pm
Don't say that to a hawaiian.

The real, original spam is good. Not all that other stuff they have to do with weird preservatives and crap in it.

Spam omelet...man.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:03pm
oh ok...i'm talking bout that stuff in the can...lol

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:05pm
It comes in the can. But you don't want the newfangled flavors. Just the original that has like 3 ingredients.
Edit: It has 6 ingredients: pork shoulder/ham, salt, water, sugar, potato starch and sodium nitrite. Much better for you than fast food actually.

Aside from the tropical fruit, spam is my favorite thing about Hawaii.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:07pm
True story, I didn't have fresh ham until I was a teenager. I thought spam was the ham everyone was talking about.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:07pm

India, spam is a delicacy.

You need to go to Hawaii and have it hooked up for you. It is GOOD.

Now I want some.
Can we visit without eating spam ? I have bad dreams about the type back in the day lol . No spam unless i can't afford anything to eat . Cry

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:08pm

I like spam.....I have not had it in years

I also like scrapple though
DeadHug LOL

Print Page | Close Window