Print Page | Close Window

Starbucks Workers to get FREE Bachelors Degrees

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371484
Printed Date: May 24 2019 at 12:11am

Topic: Starbucks Workers to get FREE Bachelors Degrees
Posted By: maysay1
Subject: Starbucks Workers to get FREE Bachelors Degrees
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:01pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/06/15/starbucks-to-offer-employees-free-tuition-to-complete-online-bachelors-degree/" rel="nofollow - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/06/15/starbucks-to-offer-employees-free-tuition-to-complete-online-bachelors-degree/

Starbucks is planning to announce on Monday a new plan to offer full tuition reimbursement to thousands of  its employees to complete a bachelor’s degree online — with no mandate to stay with the company after graduation.

The Starbucks College Achievement Plan, in collaboration with Arizona State University, will be announced in New York by Starbucks chief Howard Schultz, along with U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan and ASU President Michael Crow. ASU has one of the country’s largest online degree programs, offering some 40 different majors for undergraduates.

Under the plan, some part-time and full-time employees of Starbucks will be eligible for differing amounts of tuition reimbursement. Here’s how the plan will work, according to a Starbucks press release:

Through this innovative collaboration, partners based in the U.S. working an average of 20 hours per week at any company-operated store (including Teavana®, La Boulange®, Evolution Fresh™ and Seattle’s Best Coffee® stores) may choose from more than 40 undergraduate degree programs taught by ASU’s award-winning faculty such as electrical engineering, education, business and retail management. Partners admitted to ASU as a junior or senior will earn full tuition reimbursement for each semester of full-time coursework they complete toward a bachelor’s degree. Freshmen and sophomores will be eligible for a partial tuition scholarship and need-based financial aid for two years of full-time study. Partners will have no commitment to remain at the company past graduation.

Under the plan, students will be given support through dedicated enrollment coaches, financial aid counselors and academic advisors, the release says.

Why is Starbucks doing this? Schultz explained in the statement:

“In the last few years, we have seen the fracturing of the American Dream. There’s no doubt, the inequality within the country has created a situation where many Americans are being left behind. The question for all of us is, should we accept that, or should we try and do something about it. . Supporting our partners’ [employees'] ambitions is the very best investment Starbucks can make. Everyone who works as hard as our partners do should have the opportunity to complete college, while balancing work, school and their personal lives.”

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:01pm
I was just talking about how much their drinks suck but this is good.
I'll make use of my gift card now

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:02pm
wow, this is awesome...they already pay more than your typical fast food job.  

i hope this puts pressure on McDonald's, Taco Bell, et al

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:02pm
Now I'll feel even better about buying their drinks. I can't even consider it overpriced anymore if it's supporting good health benefits, employment for veterans, education, and environmental concerns.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:05pm
with no mandate to stay with the company?
oh yes, I like that.
I might buy their kcups from now on lol

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:07pm
That's good!!!

Still probably won't be buying anythin from there lol

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:07pm
Cool.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:09pm
aw thats so nice

i like starbucks and chick fil a ...the people that work there are usually super friendly and nice 

that speaks volumes

mcdonalds and all those other crap places have some of the rudest people 

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:09pm
This really sets the standard. For a company to be willing to help create an educated workforce without financial burden, that truly says something.

I love my Coffee Bean, but Starbucks is where I'll be.

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

aw thats so nice

i like starbucks and chick fil a ...the people that work there are usually super friendly and nice 

that speaks volumes

mcdonalds and all those other crap places have some of the rudest people 

those kids working at chick fila are almost too pleasant if you ask me.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:22pm
amen!

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:23pm
^^^is that a bad thing?LOL

(wonder)

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:25pm
dior's daughter should stick to her job at Starbucks! 

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:27pm
wait whats wrong with american apparel? and forever 21...

(maysay.....the post order is so terrible)

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:27pm
The one time I ate ChickFilA the people were super nice. Too bad I can't eat there.

It's on my list of companies I refuse to support along with Walmart, dominos, forever21, american apparel, and bunch of others.

But the lemonade was good there.

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:30pm
I don't eat those salty mounds of chicken either.   c/s American Apparel...awful store.  i won't stop wearing the items i already own from like 5 yrs ago though.

@MD...they just creep me out a little bit...especially when there's a bunch of blondes.

I'm cheap and get free coffee at the gas station in the morning but maybe i will go to starbucks more often.

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:32pm
American Apparel's CEO is a rapist.

Forever21 cares nothing for its workers, whether in the factories or in the stores. I can't buy cheap clothes knowing what it costs in human capital.

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Forever21 cares nothing for its workers, whether in the factories or in the stores. I can't buy cheap clothes knowing what it costs in human capital.

well damn.Confused

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:46pm
im just a fan of friendly and neat places...

target might not be the friendliest....but the layout is awesome and the stores are always clean... and no ratchet disturbances like those pics of "the people of walmart"Dead

i will always be loyal to target...its eons better than any other grocery store...

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 9:59pm
I like friendly and neat. I just very much believe in the idea that I vote with my dollars. And by giving money to certain companies, I am explicitly condoning their behavior.

Of course, that really limits me severely. I won't even invest in a 401k or index funds because of it. And I have a long long list of companies that I don't patronize.

In some ways it makes it easier on me though because there are lots of things I automatically don't want based on the company's behavior. So I get to keep more of my money.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 10:01pm
Clap

Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 10:54pm
so what's wrong with chick fil a maysay?

Posted By: Immie89
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 10:55pm
Hopefully this is the same for Canadians.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 15 2014 at 10:59pm
Waits for other shoe to drop. What is the catch SB?GeekLOL

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:00am
I'm at Starbucks at least once every two weeks. Nice to know the dollars are going to more than their pockets.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:03am
This should be a standard at every company. F*8* McDonald's.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:13am
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

This should be a standard at every company. F*8* McDonald's.

No it shouldn't.

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:20am
Yes, yes it should. With student loan debt as high as it is and the average high school student being paid barely enough for books, I don't see why every major corp shouldn't be able to. Maybe not your average ma and pop store, but shi.t I need Walmart, Target, Kroger's, etc etc to get with the program.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 12:23am
nice.  i may get me a p/t job at starbucks to just shoot the shyt with people...lol

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:19am

Yes, yes it should. With student loan debt as high as it is and the average high school student being paid barely enough for books, I don't see why every major corp shouldn't be able to. Maybe not your average ma and pop store, but shi.t I need Walmart, Target, Kroger's, etc etc to get with the program.
The Walton family ain't going to do sh*t for their workers ever.Dead 

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:37am
Fuuck that how about a fair cocoa bean price

And an abolishment on their mob like control over cocoa bean industry

Holla back at me when they do that

Pendejos

Posted By: TayTay
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 1:47am

they're homophobic/anti-gay marriage. chick-fil-a donates tons of money to anybody running anti-gay marriage campaigns and laws proposed by the government. believe me when i say they are hardcore about it, but they do it quietly.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:45am
i love chick-fil a they have the best breakfast bisquit

Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 2:49am
I don't understand Chick Fil-A's/McDonald's breakfast biscuit sizes. Why are they so SMALL in comparison to the regular lunch burgers? Nig.ga I'm hungry in the morning, too. Sheit.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 6:35am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Pendejos

oh wow.  imma definitely look that up...

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 7:08am
So basically they paying peoples University of Phoenix tuition......knowing they will graduate......still not get a job and still me mixing Tazo tea lemonades.......okay......

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 7:10am
Originally posted by TayTay TayTay wrote:

they're homophobic/anti-gay marriage. chick-fil-a donates tons of money to anybody running anti-gay marriage campaigns and laws proposed by the government. believe me when i say they are hardcore about it, but they do it quietly.

I aint gon lie.....Chick-fila could hate black folks as long as they keep making those good ass deluxe chicken sandwiches and the best lemonade on this side of Calvary.....

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jun 16 2014 at 7:42am
This must be because I've been going like everyday since I started summer classes lol

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 9:36pm

I don't understand Chick Fil-A's/McDonald's breakfast biscuit sizes. Why are they so SMALL in comparison to the regular lunch burgers? Nig.ga I'm hungry in the morning, too. Sheit.
This made me . I have wondered that too.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 9:46pm
why just online classes though…? 

well.. thats great.. i skimmed but i hope its legit colleges not just univ of phoenix. 

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:27pm
McDonald's should do this!!!

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 10:40pm
University of Phoenix, I'm sorry but I don't believe employers take those degrees seriously. My sis got her bachelor's from there in something she doesn't want and never plans to do, that heaux just wanted it for bragging rights.
Anytime she gets in an argument with somebody who doesn't have a college degree it's the first thing she says,"at least I got a degree", bish please.
Having a bachelor's, especially one from a profit school is nothing to harp on these days.

Date Posted: Jun 17 2014 at 11:51pm
many brick and mortar schools had online degree programs

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 1:45am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Pendejos

tell me more about this, ive read similar sentiments on bhm before. It seems they do a ltd edition Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee product/beans nowadays and when i saw the prices *gasp*ShockedShockedShocked

Im not a starbucks chick, ive never actually been to one but i have this great double-walled really tall cup  thats keeps my water chilled ice cubes still solid all in this heat. I go everywhere with it nowStar

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 2:26am
Yeah there was a panorama or the c4 documentary on this afewyearsback

Your £2.50 cup of coffee costs about fraction of a penny to produce

There's is also the issue of child labour

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 11:52am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

many brick and mortar schools had online degree programs

Yep

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

University of Phoenix, I'm sorry but I don't believe employers take those degrees seriously. My sis got her bachelor's from there in something she doesn't want and never plans to do, that heaux just wanted it for bragging rights.
Anytime she gets in an argument with somebody who doesn't have a college degree it's the first thing she says,"at least I got a degree", bish please.
Having a bachelor's, especially one from a profit school is nothing to harp on these days.
Its From ASU the largest University in America!

Date Posted: Jun 18 2014 at 2:24pm
cocoa is chocolate

Coffee is a different commodity but the same dynamics are probably there

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Jun 22 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I hate forever 21

Print Page | Close Window