Print Page | Close Window

How do you handle procrastination?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371325
Printed Date: Nov 21 2017 at 10:44pm

Topic: How do you handle procrastination?
Posted By: maysay1
Subject: How do you handle procrastination?
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:08am
So lately my procrastination is at an all time high. I know part of it is being sick and dealing with meds and stuff but...life goes on and ish needs to get done regardless.

It seems like unless I have a hard deadline that involves other people (like someone needs work from me), then I don't get things done. And even then, I put things off until the last possible moment.

I do use the concept of 20/10's I got from Unf*ck Your Habitat...though for me it's more like 10 minutes of work and 20 minutes of rest. I've also tried banning myself from "fun stuff" (reading, youtube, tv, etc) until all my stuff is done but that hasn't really worked since I give myself excuses.

So any tips?

Replies:
Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:34am
well being a big time procrastinator myself.. I think the best way to get things done are time blocking- I do it a day before or before I start my day I even block in the breaks... the other thing that really helps is to focus my mind on the outcomes I know if I don't do what needs to be done then I won't make money!

Posted By: kerysdream7
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:43am
I set reminders with an alarm on my phone & computer to keep me on track. One for both when a task should begin & end.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:46am
I deal with it later

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:46am
I am on the same boat: I also only do things when I have a deadline or else.... I keep postponing. I haven't been able to handle my procrastination except by doing whatever I need to do or when I am motivated to do what I need to do.

*that reminds me that I need to get out of the computer*

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:47am
I can't do it the need to be organized in me will not allow it to happen. 

Make a list on Sunday of all the things you need to do for the week, split it up and get 3 things a day done.  What is stopping you from doing the things you need done?

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:48am
Banning myself from fun stuff doesn't work for me.

I found that making my work space and chill space seperate helps. And I don't allow myself to work in my chill space. SO If I want to work, I need to get my ass up and go somewhere to do it... and when Im there, maybe I sometimes browse the web and play around initially, but ultimately I would feel guilty if I went all the way to my work space and got nothing done.. therefore something always gets done.

I hope that makes sense.

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:50am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

I deal with it later

This actually made me laugh out loud.

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:53am
The other thing I think it changing your space
if I'm at work then I take a walk, If I am at home then I go to the library

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:56am
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I can't do it the need to be organized in me will not allow it to happen. 

Make a list on Sunday of all the things you need to do for the week, split it up and get 3 things a day done.  What is stopping you from doing the things you need done?

I don't know what's really stopping me...that's the issue.

Because I can clearly get some things done.

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:58am
Maybe the workspace thing is an issue.

I'm always at home. But I feel like I should be able to be productive anywhere.

Plus some of the things I'm procrastinating need to be done at home...like redoing my room. Because I swear it contributes to my procrastination because it's not zen enough.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:01pm
My mom is terrible with that... I get it from her but not all the time. Like im procrastinating the hell outta going to the dmv... I've been using my passport. Why? Iono. But will pack for vacation a wk before. I need contacts for vacation, have i been to the opthamologist? Nope. Vacation in 3 wks tho.

My mom who used to pack for 4 kids for international flights the night before smh

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:02pm
I try to take care of bills , groceries and houshold items . I think about how many people that can't afford to go weekly . I need to stop and use my big freezer . I have a notepad on the fridge . I pay myself 5 bucks if i finish the job lol . My husband is a great help thank God . I think washing India 's hair is the most difficult thing to do in my life . The girl is so tender head with kinky curly hair .Cry I notice iron supplements help also . I hope you are feeling well today maysay . Embarrassed

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:05pm
step one log off this page

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

If I'm not on here I'm just somewhere else on these internet streets.

That's the thing...I feel like I should just woman up and get ish done. But then I'm like...ooo let me check reddit...bhm...youtube...read 2 chapters...read 5 chapters....oh now I'm hungry let me get something to eat...gotta make something...too lazy...eat fruit...still hungry...gotta make something...let me start a load of laundry...I should clean the bathroom...tired let me read another chapter...ooo ppl are being ratchet on bhm....

Ugh.

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:27pm
I get to it when i know i can't avoid it any longer.

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

If I'm not on here I'm just somewhere else on these internet streets.

That's the thing...I feel like I should just woman up and get ish done. But then I'm like...ooo let me check reddit...bhm...youtube...read 2 chapters...read 5 chapters....oh now I'm hungry let me get something to eat...gotta make something...too lazy...eat fruit...still hungry...gotta make something...let me start a load of laundry...I should clean the bathroom...tired let me read another chapter...ooo ppl are being ratchet on bhm....

Ugh.

That's how I am. What really helps with my procrastination is writing a to do list. I still procrastinate lol, but seeing tasks crossed out on my list makes me feel accomplished and motivates me to keep going.

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 12:53pm
I just don't do it. oh well. it wasn't that important anyway

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 2:39pm
Do you have any anxiety issue op?

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 2:41pm
I'm the opposite, but hub is a procrastinator. What helps him is lists, and having a wife who isn't procrastinator lol

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 3:05pm
I'm a HUGE procrastinator.  Ideally, I would have short-term deadlines within my long-term deadline.  For instance, if I had to write a 10 - 15 page term paper by May, I would have deadlines of writing a page or two a week, so that in the end all I would have to do if proof-read the paper.  I did that, once.  It helped.  It also helps to make a list of tasks.  I start with easier tasks; that way I don't feel overwhelmed.  I get encouraged by seeing my completed tasks.

If I were consistent, I'm sure that I would be OK.  But, I'm not.  I need to take some of my own advice LOL and send out these e-mails..

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 3:06pm
Lately, by procrastinating some more. I should be recruiting more clients and polishing my resume instead of wasting time on social media. And yet here I am

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

Do you have any anxiety issue op?

Probably.

That's part of the reason why I hate phone calls...I have an aversion for bad news...or worry about my work not measuring up...or worry about what might happen.

But then I know when I get things done early or on time I feel so much better. I'm trying to have more of that feeling.

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I'm the opposite, but hub is a procrastinator. What helps him is lists, and having a wife who isn't procrastinator lol

I keep saying I need a wife.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 3:21pm

I say that all the time too.
I think everyone does.
Husbands have it made

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 4:34pm

I say that all the time too.
I think everyone does.
Husbands have it made

word.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 4:36pm
lists help me as well...

also, when i was working (worked from home) having an actual home office space with a door to close helped...

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 4:44pm
get out the house
i can sit on my ass all day at home

Posted By: Immie89
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 5:00pm

This works for me. Esp when I use to be in uni,I just a lot more done in library than I ever do at home. I guess when I was in library my brain didn't try to play any games, it knew it was time to work.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

I deal with it later

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 6:49pm
Make a List of "Things To Do" daily.

Allot a certain amount of time to accomplish each task (with reason).

Do not overload your "To Do" list.

Reward yourself when you accomplish everything on your list.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 6:53pm
mercy do I ever struggle with this, so I'm preaching yo the choir 

Write down all answers to:

I don't want to do this because..
Or
I'd rather not deal with this now because

True answers might be shocking but will help you understand the why and put it into perspective 

Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 7:12pm
I make lists...and then when I don't complete them I feel bad.

The only time making a list works for me is if I only put like one thing on it. Hmmm maybe that's something to try. I could use post-it notes and only put one thing on them.

I have to conquer this some sort of way. I feel like it's causing an existential crisis. Having an amazing life requires getting things done.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

mercy do I ever struggle with this, so I'm preaching yo the choir 

Write down all answers to:

I don't want to do this because..
Or
I'd rather not deal with this now because

True answers might be shocking but will help you understand the why and put it into perspective 

This is interesting. As I've gotten older I realize that EVERYTHING has some underlying reason.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Immie89 Immie89 wrote:

This works for me. Esp when I use to be in uni,I just a lot more done in library than I ever do at home. I guess when I was in library my brain didn't try to play any games, it knew it was time to work.

This thread has some good tips! I am going to try going to the library to work instead of sitting at home, since my workspace is at home and I find things to distract me.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 11 2014 at 12:54pm
I don't have a clue. Tasks get done somehow.LOL

Print Page | Close Window