Print Page | Close Window

Study: Crossing the Road More Dangerous for Blks

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371296
Printed Date: Nov 22 2017 at 11:33am

Topic: Study: Crossing the Road More Dangerous for Blks
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Study: Crossing the Road More Dangerous for Blks
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:24am

Study Suggests It's More Dangerous For Black Pedestrians To Cross The Street

Posted: Updated:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/06/black-pedestrians-safety_n_5433799.html?view=print&comm_ref=false" rel="nofollow - Print Article
BLACK PEDESTRIAN

Pedestrians routinely contend with traffic hazards, but http://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/05/23/study-drivers-less-likely-to-yield-for-black-pedestrians/#.U4XwtDay_No.twitter" rel="nofollow - crossing the road may be even more dangerous if you're a minority .

A pilot study by the Portland State University-based Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium (OTREC) found that drivers were http://otrec.us/news/entry/study_examines_racial_bias_at_crosswalks" rel="nofollow - less likely to stop for black pedestrians waiting to use a crosswalk than white ones . The study is the first to examine the effects of race on pedestrian crossing experiences.

Researchers had three black and three white men of similar age, height and build, dressed in identical neutral outfits and "without any obvious social or socio-economic characteristics," cross an unsignalized, marked crosswalk in downtown Portland. Each pedestrian crossed 15 times, resulting in 168 driver subjects overall.

Per the study, trained observers standing out of sight to oncoming cars recorded whether the first car to approach yielded for the pedestrian, how many cars passed before someone yielded and the number of seconds that before the pedestrian could cross the street.

Observers found that black pedestrians got passed by twice as many cars as white pedestrians, and waited 32 percent longer to cross.

Though the sample size was small, the study has already prompted significant interest from the transportation community. Lead researcher Dr. Kimberly Kahn said she believes it's an important first step.

"We wanted to test this hypothesis to see if pedestrian's race would influence driver's yielding decisions at crosswalks," Kahn told The Huffington Post by phone. "For this first initial study, we wanted to see if the effect was even there, and even with the relatively small sample size, we saw a significant variation between races."

Kahn, who studies implicit bias in the field of social psychology, said the results of the study didn't surprise her, but that the reaction among transportation experts, who haven't studied these types of biases as much, has been "really striking."

Nationwide, http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6215a1.htm" rel="nofollow - pedestrians account for 13 percent of all motor vehicle traffic-related deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control. But African Americans are disproportionately represented in that group, dying http://www.smartgrowthamerica.org/documents/dangerous-by-design-2014/dangerous-by-design-2014.pdf" rel="nofollow - at a rate 60 percent higher than non-Hispanic whites , according to a 2014 study from the community development non-profit Smart Growth America.

In addition to concluding that drivers behave differently toward pedestrians based on their race, the OTREC study found that "black pedestrians were passed by twice as many cars and waited nearly a third longer to cross than white pedestrians."

Previous studies have indicated drivers behave differently based on the age of the pedestrian and the socioeconomic status of the driver http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/the-rich-drive-differently-a-study-suggests/" rel="nofollow - (spoiler: the rich are the worst behind the wheel), but the OTREC study found stark differences based on race.

"These implicit racial attitudes and biases are more likely to influence our behavior when we have to make split-second decisions, when we're distracted and when we have a lot going on -- like when we're driving," Kahn said.

“It’s amazing to look at something you thought might be subtle and to see it instead so clearly,” http://otrec.us/news/entry/study_examines_racial_bias_at_crosswalks" rel="nofollow - said Tara Goddard, another researcher who worked on the study.

The team has already won a research award from the CDC, and Kahn said they are now in the running for a 2-year CDC grant, which will enable them to expand the sample size of the study, look at race and gender dynamics in driver bias and replicate the effects in different types of crosswalks.

Replies:
Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:30am
I aint gon say it.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:31am
i just start walking and force them to stop.  you have to learn those techniques when you live in a high traffic area.

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:39am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I aint gon say it.

say it

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:40am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I aint gon say it.
Do it for the Vine.

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:43am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

i just start walking and force them to stop.  you have to learn those techniques when you live in a high traffic area.

Are you Jamaican?ShockedShockedShocked

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:43am
Nope....I want some oberweis......

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Are you Jamaican?ShockedShockedShocked

LOL nah...just a city girl with little time to spare.

Posted By: BonitaApplebaum
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:48am
I believe it, and been saying it for a while now...YTs love to speed up like they about to hit you... I stare and continue to walk a steady pace... I wish a Cracka would!

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:51am
wow this is surprising since racism is over

Not sure how getting over it or using your bootstraps will help you not get run over 

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:54am
and in Philly those fools will talk on cellphone and walk at a snail's pace while crossing  the road/street or whatever...they want u to hit them on purpose...lawsuit in the making...i am like seriously

whites where i live will run the hell across the freakin road when they see the car needs to turn or something and wave at you to thank u for stopping.LOL.

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:58am
I live in Chicago.....they all walk like molasses......

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:14am
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

Not sure how getting over it or using your bootstraps will help you not get run over 
Tightening those bootstraps will help you run and avoid getting your ass hit by yt.LOL

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:15am
Most things in the US are more dangerous for Blacks, even other Blacks. Stern SmileStern Smile

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:34am
Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

Most things in the US are more dangerous for Blacks, even other Blacks. Stern SmileStern Smile

I know it's a popular belief but it's not true or relevant when discussing racism ... it's a tactic to deflect from racism 

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:36am
yeah cc I see what you're saying, so I guess many are lucky they don't have bootstraps at all 

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:39am
^True. Can't run in flip flops.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:46am
How will the new blacks respond to this?

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:48am
lol cc

I'm sure they'll come up with a way to blame black folks for getting run over

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:52am
there have been plenty of times ive walked out in the street with my head held high and a flick of my wrist with my palm pointed at them.. signaling drivers that they better stop…. 
ive never had anyone even come close or act like they'd hit me..

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 2:03am
This study was done in Portland

Would like to see the results of a more diverse area even though it probably wouldn't vary by much, if at all

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 2:09am

lol cc

I'm sure they'll come up with a way to blame black folks for getting run over

CryLOL

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:34am

LOL

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:09am
hm I did notice that there are more stories on the news of black kids getting ran over...

smh.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:47am
Are they talking about crossing at crosswalks or jaywalking.

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:51am
I believe they are talking about legal cross wallks

You know, just because you have the right-of-way doesn't mean people will actually stop for you

I highly doubt they would be given grants to conduct an illegal practice anyhow

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 11:02am
I have a habit of continuously looking back and forth when crossing the street. Ppl think im crazy. I hate seeing parents cross a street with no lights and let them run freely

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 11:03am
oh. i was talking about j walking. 
i didnt know this was about crossing when/where youre supposed to...Confused

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 2:54pm
the blacks getting run over weren't walking illegally

The study explicitly said "at the crosswalk"

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

A real Broad St. Bully right here. Wanted to step on the gas sooooooo bad and hit this white girl earlier! I moved up and stopped juuust enough to make her pee on herself a little bit. Fcuk her & her Crocs.

Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

and in Philly those fools will talk on cellphone and walk at a snail's pace while crossing  the road/street or whatever...they want u to hit them on purpose...lawsuit in the making...i am like seriously

whites where i live will run the hell across the freakin road when they see the car needs to turn or something and wave at you to thank u for stopping.LOL.

LOL  LOLLOLDead

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 5:42pm
Only time I been hit by a car was by a brotha in DC Dead I'm built like Ironman tho so I just bounced off the car like nothing happened, but I did give him a "wtf" face. He rolled down his window and started apologizing, shook like I was gonna sue or something but I was like calm down my brotha, I aint gonna do u like that, but be careful next time.

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 5:48pm
@Marcelo22....plz post an upper body in tank top shot ....thank you..

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 5:50pm
@Marcelo22....glad to read u r ok....so please carry on with the posted pic...Superman.,,oops my bad IRONMAN

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 5:52pm

@Marcelo22....plz post an upper body in tank top shot ....thank you..

Hmmhmmm

I might drop a pic a little later tho

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:00pm
I WILL BE W.A.I.T.I.N.G......*whispering ever so sofly to you

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:01pm
^DeadLOL

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:23pm

@Marcelo22....glad to read u r ok....so please carry on with the posted pic...Superman.,,oops my bad IRONMAN

Here I go

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:30pm
not gonna lie; i don't really slow down for mexicans

jr.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:54pm

People need to get out of the streets while waiting on the bus . I saw a white woman run over a sister foot while she was texting in a CZ . The white woman almost flip her suv with a car full of children . I called 911 . Give racist people a reason to run you over . smh

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 9:29pm
LOL
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

Here I go

LOL   LOLLOLLOLLOL STOOOOPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!CryCryCryCry

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

not gonna lie; i don't really slow down for mexicans

jr.

i hate youDead

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 11:24am
I hate how white pedestrians just start walking like they ASSUME you are going to let them pass. so entitled

Date Posted: Aug 25 2014 at 4:04am
Interesting...

http://jessehimself.tumblr.com/image/95713715153" rel="nofollow"> kinkyturtle:    jcoleknowsbest:    So my facebook friend just posted this pic with this text….      Well, I just witnessed blatant racial injustice with my own eyes. I was getting in my car after exiting a store when a young black man stumbled past me and collapsed against the store wall. When I got out to see if he was okay, a group of white people came rushing over, one of whom was a 20-something white woman who declared in distress, “I ran a red light and hit him with my car!” People immediately assured her that SHE would be okay, meanwhile the young man is writhing in pain on the ground, pants leg torn, tears running down his face. When the police arrived and the young woman explained what happened, it was suggested to her that maybe the light had been yellow and that the young man had “darted out into the street into her path.” I was floored. I said, “But she just SAID she ran the red light and hit him in the intersection!”             The police officers then led the young woman away and began talking with her privately in low tones. When the paramedics FINALLY got there I was surprised at the hostility they showed towards the young man. One blonde female EMT (shown in the photo) suggested that he couldn’t be THAT hurt if he was able to walk from the place where he was struck to the sidewalk where he finally collapsed. White bystanders commented several times about “What that poor girl must be going through.” I was the only one who commented on what the young man must be going through, what, with his mangled leg and all. I am absolutely positive that in the end “that poor girl” will be absolved of all wrongdoing and be able to go on her merry way. After all, she just ran a red light and slammed her car into the body of some black kid on a bike, right?And people wonder why black people are so angry and want to break sh*t.                                  friendly reminder that studies have shown that white people do not empathize with Black people and we (including medical personel) also think Black people feel less pain

http://kinkyturtle.tumblr.com/post/95677948786/jcoleknowsbest-so-my-facebook-friend-just" rel="nofollow - kinkyturtle :

http://jcoleknowsbest.tumblr.com/post/95674731434" rel="nofollow - jcoleknowsbest :

So my facebook friend just posted this pic with this text….

Well, I just witnessed blatant racial injustice with my own eyes. I was getting in my car after exiting a store when a young black man stumbled past me and collapsed against the store wall. When I got out to see if he was okay, a group of white people came rushing over, one of whom was a 20-something white woman who declared in distress, “I ran a red light and hit him with my car!” People immediately assured her that SHE would be okay, meanwhile the young man is writhing in pain on the ground, pants leg torn, tears running down his face. When the police arrived and the young woman explained what happened, it was suggested to her that maybe the light had been yellow and that the young man had “darted out into the street into her path.” I was floored. I said, “But she just SAID she ran the red light and hit him in the intersection!” 

The police officers then led the young woman away and began talking with her privately in low tones. When the paramedics FINALLY got there I was surprised at the hostility they showed towards the young man. One blonde female EMT (shown in the photo) suggested that he couldn’t be THAT hurt if he was able to walk from the place where he was struck to the sidewalk where he finally collapsed. White bystanders commented several times about “What that poor girl must be going through.” I was the only one who commented on what the young man must be going through, what, with his mangled leg and all. I am absolutely positive that in the end “that poor girl” will be absolved of all wrongdoing and be able to go on her merry way. After all, she just ran a red light and slammed her car into the body of some black kid on a bike, right?

And people wonder why black people are so angry and want to break sh*t.

friendly reminder that http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/06/racial_empathy_gap_people_don_t_perceive_pain_in_other_races.html" rel="nofollow - studies have shown that white people do not empathize with Black people and http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0048546" rel="nofollow - we (including medical personel) also think Black people feel less pain

Print Page | Close Window