Print Page | Close Window

Any Grad School Tips?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371293
Printed Date: Jun 15 2019 at 11:51pm

Topic: Any Grad School Tips?
Posted By: JasmineE02
Subject: Any Grad School Tips?
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 5:26pm
I'm about to hit the books again after graduating from undergrad in 2006.  It's been a little while.  LOL  My ultimate goal is to get my Ph.D in clinical psych and work with (or possibly in) the military.  I'm excited and nervous.  Part of me wishes I'd just gone straight through without stopping, but working in the field gave me a lot of context for the information I learned in undergrad.  

People have told me grad school is reallllly different.  I was wondering if anyone had any insight. Smile

Replies:
Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 5:49pm
Are you going full time? Or will you be juggling work as well? Do you have a family to juggle?

The most common thing I've seen is that you have to be really good at time management. It may take a while to get back in the swing of things. And making sure you set up some good routines now around housework, homework, free time, etc. will be helpful.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 5:53pm
Congratulations!

I don't know if I have any tips, it's been over 10 years ago for me. Maybe get good mentors who are further ahead who can give you the scoop on the different professors, their research and disposition. They can also help you choose electives and give study notes and tips!
I only got a master's because i haven't found anything I'm passionate about to get a PhD for, but I'd like to have one before I die. .lol

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 5:56pm
Mine may not apply
But no distractions!

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:08pm
I'll be going full-time.  My husband will be in Australia while I'm in school and I'll be going back to Arkansas to stay with family.  Arkansas is dry and boring, so distractions hopefully won't be an issue.  LOL

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:11pm
I found my favorite pair of flats in a mall in Arkansas. I wish I had bought more of them. I always say I'm gonna go back there just to visit the Du rs.

Anyway, family can be a distraction. And then with the time change for skyping hubby, that's something to be considered too. Sounds like y'all are embarking on a fun adventure.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:13pm
What do you want to research? I wish I would've done a Ph.D. It really gives you a chance to deeply research and understand something you're passionate about

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:51pm
I'm really interested in delving deeper into combating sexual assault in the military.  There has been some progress made in helping to make coming forward and seeking help easier.  We still have a loooong way to go.  I'd like to be a part of the solution.  I know the air force started talking about consent and what consent actually looks like.  They also started pushing for people to get themselves involved if they see something shady going on.  It's made a significant impact on rates of sexual assaults where they implemented the training.  I want to look more into things like that.  

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:18pm
In general?

1. Social life?

Say bye to your social life, school is your life now!

2. Study. Develop good study habits. Stay up to date with your readings

3. Get Organized

But really, the stay up to date with your class readings. It can get tempting to slack on them especially if you don't have a lot of tests throughout the semester but it comes back to bite you later.Stern Smile

You're very smart so you'll be fine Jas.

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:26pm
Thank you Hug  I study random stuff...for fun.  Cry  I'm so boring. Dead  My biggest thing I'll need to cut back on will be gaming. 

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:33pm
Stay single

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 7:34pm
Join a study group if you can. You don't have to be buddy buddy but from what I've experienced, it's those students who help each other out that stay on top. Plus it's good to know "insiders info" on certain things

Posted By: Limalady
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 8:24pm
Don't go.

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 8:29pm
I have to go. LOL  Everyone shouldn't, but I need to. 

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 10:37pm
Idk, I only have my master's ( I wanna end up with a ph.d in clinical psych too.. *high five*) so my experience is different..But, it was fine, went by fast, I'm unorganized, and kept my terrible habit of not reading as we go and studying everything the night before

I had good professors though so I learned a lot in class and practicum

I will say I'm the sh*t at my study habits the night before the test (the way I organize my notes, how I make certain stuff stand out visually for easy recall on the test etc). I'm sure you know by now which habits work best for you. So, good luck and have fun!

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 9:17am
Yeah who says no social life?....there are way too many married grad students around these parts, ok they married each other but still LOL....even a lot of our faculty are married to each other, you just dont realize it coz the women very rarely take their husbands' last names, in fact it's highly discouraged.

I'm now coming to an end, but my experience has been awesome, mainly due to the kind of relationship I have with my advisor. I hate being micromanaged and she hates micromanaging, so she's let me be truly independent. Some of my friends have had it rough with their advisors, going as far as hostile work environment complaints filed with the univ police, department chairs being called in by the deans etc.

So my 3 pieces of advice I'll give any new grad student:

1. I'm not sure how Clin Pysch works in terms of a mentor but if your work is thesis based, choose your advisor very very carefully. Talk to former students, current students, etc. This person will be effectively in charge of your career for the next few years, outside your spouse/SO, this person is running your life. Their work ethic, what they expect from their students etc. Know all that. Also at the end, your advisor is going to help you find a job, so that relationship is very important way beyond grad sch.

2. Surround yourself with like-minded people i.e. study habits etc. I went to grad sch many years after undergrad so i couldn't be out in the bars on a Wednesday night with 25yr olds. Know what you went to do there and get to work.

3. If you are in a PWI/department, be ready for the racial bullshat that comes along. Very early on, my advisor sat me down and told me point blank that there were many people who didnt think black people belonged there so i would have to work twice as hard to prove im half as good. And a lot of the bullshat white kids get away with, i would be slayed for and nailed to the wall. I thought she was full of sh*t, but yap, true enough, that plays out everyday.

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:29am
Thanks guys Heart  *bookmarks thread*  

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:48pm
Are there any signs to look for with a good or bad mentor and adviser?  

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:51pm
If you aren't already, become a reader. A lot of reading is required in grad school generally, but especially within your chosen field. Stay up with class readings and go ahead of the class (i.e. read the next lessons/chapters before everyone else)

Just curious - are you in a combined Masters + Ph.D clinical psychology program?

I did my undergrad in psych and grad school is a future goal as well. 

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 1:04pm
I didn't make it into the clinical psych program (Cry), so I'm just doing the general psych masters program.  A lot of people go that route to prove they have want it takes.  Thanks to some advice from another bhmer, I've been looking at military specific programs as well.  They have a lot of scholarship opportunities.  Yay for money!  The military is pretty desperate for people right now.  People are scared off at the idea of deploying.  I'm actually wanting to deploy at least once.

I'm definitely an avid reader, so keeping up shouldn't be a problem.  Are a lot of textbooks digital these days?  I find that I like reading on my kindle and tablet a lot more...it's also easier on my back.  I was shoving "House of Leaves" into my purse and it was digging angrily into my shoulder. LOL  

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 2:22pm
Congrats .. And sorry at the same time.

You'll do well whichever road you take

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 2:23pm
Awww *hugs*

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Don't go.

Why?
if someone has a liberal arts degree and if they want to get a good job they probably don't have a choice but to go an get an advanced degree.

Print Page | Close Window