Print Page | Close Window

Would you renovate a rental?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371257
Printed Date: Jul 19 2018 at 12:40am

Topic: Would you renovate a rental?
Posted By: noneyons
Subject: Would you renovate a rental?
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:35am
i hate my bathroom. miss my old one. my gawd it was perfect. 

so i've been thinking bout changing the tiles and the floor and sh*t like that. is that a good idea or waste of money?

Replies:
Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:39am
off the top, no

But if you plan to be there for years and the owner will deduct the renovation cost from your rent and it'll make you happy

Then why not

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:39am
IDK, I know someone who has done it. I think it's pretty stupid for me to do such a thing. I don't plan on staying in a rental for so long that's why.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:41am
that's what i was thinking, ricky. 

but how would that work i wonder. like would she deduct it from my rent or like pay me for it or something? i'm sure she would appreciate it cause anything i do with it would be an approvement. it's pink and brown!!!!! lawdamercy

i dunno.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:42am
have you looked at places that are a little more expensive but renovated?

A mortgage payment might be less than what paying in rent. Sometimes the strangest things give us that little push we need.

Don't know your situation, just generalizing

Posted By: mzmee
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:43am
When we rented and wanted to change some things, we got permission and it was deducted from our rent. So it really didn't cost us anything at the end of the day. At the same time, we were there 6 years. 

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:43am
I have done it, but my dad did the work I just bought the materials and they deducted the money from my rent. Why not be comfortable where you rest....

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:44am
No offense to anyone but do people who want to become really well off, renovate rentals?

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:45am
good advice, yall. 

i rent mostly because i'm single and my job location can change at a moment's notice and make my commute impossible so i'm still in the inbetween unsure phase. i like the place overall though. it's really big and ish but i don't want a mortgate until i'm really settled. 

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:49am
what about carpet on the bathroom floor? no? lol

i'm desperate. what goes good with pink and brown?Dead

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:51am
In my mind its just a comfort level thing, if the place im in is perfect except for a old ass faucet or something cosmetic and minor  then yep off to Loews I go. 

If you dont plan on moving in 6 months then I dont see the harm..shrugs shoulders. 

My cousin got some sort of faux ceramic tile stuff in her kitchen on the wall and I swear her kitchen looks 1000X better. 

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:55am
talk to her, it can not hurt

Let her offer what's she's offering, leave it open

After she's puts what she's offering out there then propose she take it out of your rent, then counter from there 

It'll increase the rent she can charge next time, it's to her advantage, make sure she contributes in kind

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:58am
thanks guise. i think i'ma talk to her about it next week.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:01am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

what about carpet on the bathroom floor? no? lol

i'm desperate. what goes good with pink and brown?Dead

Paint in another color CryCryCry

No seriously this site has plenty of ideas and you can search by room, color or style!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/70186/list/Great-Color-Combo--Pink-and-Brown

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:02am
*whispers* pink tiles are on the wall so i can't paint over them :(

i has a sad overall.

thanks though. i'll check out the link

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:32am
we did when we rented a condo. The owner dropped the rent some and when we moved she wrote us a check.

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:33am
eta: we were there a little over a year

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:44am

that's what i was thinking, ricky. 

but how would that work i wonder. like would she deduct it from my rent or like pay me for it or something? i'm sure she would appreciate it cause anything i do with it would be an approvement. it's pink and brown!!!!! lawdamercy

i dunno.

I would think she would definitely reduce the rent. If it added substantial value to the place, she should pay you when you move too, of course depending on how long you've lived there. In our case it was a short rental and she rented the condo out at a much higher rate after we moved; because of our renovations.

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 6:41am
I did some cosmetic things in our rental, we were there forever. I just threw some paint on the walls and bought new fixtures and plants etc. I understand how you feel, i wouldn't change the tile though. I actually like pink and brown together but you could definitely find colors to compliment that pink. Gray maybe?

You could definitely find a cute area rug for the floor, if she is unable to lower the rent or compensate you for it you would have to work with it so do some window/online shopping first before looking for tiles.

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 7:46am
Can't do that here.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 8:31am
i've done it.  once when we lived in military housing and once when i lived in my uncles building.  i have to have my living space comfy.  i knew it was basically a sunk cost but i didn't care...

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 9:49am

good advice, yall. 

i rent mostly because i'm single and my job location can change at a moment's notice and make my commute impossible so i'm still in the inbetween unsure phase. i like the place overall though. it's really big and ish but i don't want a mortgate until i'm really settled. 

I feel since you are in a transient phase, you shouldn't waste your money on a major renovation project like changing tiles and flooring right now.  Save your money and wait, especially since you do like the place except for the bathroom.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:11am
There's this website called save the pink bathrooms. I thought it was cute. Maybe reading about them will make you feel a little more affectionate towards the deco:-)

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 10:44am
thanks so much for sharing your advice and experience guys. i really appreciate it!

@herwoman, i kinda dig the idea of grey with the pink and brown. might just work.

i like the websites you guys mentioned. they're cute.Thumbs Up

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

off the top, no

But if you plan to be there for years and the owner will deduct the renovation cost from your rent and it'll make you happy

Then why not

This... 

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:52pm
there are? hmmm...lemme go look

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:52pm
Could you paint the tile neutral? White or similar?there are kits

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:57pm
I can see if you want to paint the apartment but don't do any costly renovations like removing and installing new tiles. 

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:03pm
lol, look what i found!

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:05pm
omg, these are awesome ideas, samone! taking notes

Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 1:31pm
GL Noney. I know you want your home space to be a comfortable haven.
That's how I was w/ our condo. Even though I only spent about @3 waking hours a day at home, I was determined to spend those 3 hrs in something I enjoyed.

Print Page | Close Window