Print Page | Close Window

Do you check your weight everyday ?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371252
Printed Date: Aug 15 2018 at 11:31pm

Topic: Do you check your weight everyday ?
Posted By: india100
Subject: Do you check your weight everyday ?
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:22pm

I'm no longer stressing about the scale

By Sia Figiel, Special to CNN
updated 8:01 AM EDT, Fri May 30, 2014
"Weight loss looks more like a river with bends and currents and even waterfalls," says Sia Figiel.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Sia Figiel became obsessed with weighing herself after losing 100 pounds
  • Now she relies on her strength and endurance to feel good
  • Follow her journey training for a triathlon https://twitter.com/trihardsia" rel="nofollow - @TriHardSia

Editor's note: Sia Figiel is one of six CNN viewers selected to be a part of the http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/fit.nation/" rel="nofollow - Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge program. Follow the http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/24/health/fit-nation-team-announced/index.html" rel="nofollow - "Sassy Six" on https://twitter.com/cnnfitnation" rel="nofollow - Twitter and https://www.facebook.com/CNNFitNation" rel="nofollow - Facebook as they train to race the Nautica Malibu Triathlon with Dr. Sanjay Gupta on September 14.

(CNN) -- For years, I avoided scales. In fact, the only time I got on one was at a doctor's office or during a weight-loss challenge I had joined (yet again).

In the past two decades, the numbers on the scale have climbed steadily -- from 225 to 275 to 300 to finally, my all-time high of 400 pounds. In fact, right before I left American Samoa, I went to the ER because I was feeling dizzy. The nurse checked my blood sugar and while I don't remember that number, I vividly remember the scale "incident."

You see, the scale in the ER couldn't take my weight. The lovely nurse, who confided that she, too, was a diabetic, smiled at me and told me not to worry -- that I could use the scale in the Dialysis Unit to get weighed in.

"That one goes up to 800 pounds," she said, "because they use it to weigh patients in wheelchairs."

I knew all too well what the scale at the DU was capable of. My mother, who had been a dialysis patient, had used that scale for six years before she passed away.

That a scale could not determine my weight was already embarrassing. But to be told that I needed to use a scale in the Dialysis Unit was wake-up call of where I was heading if I didn't do anything about my weight.

A move to Utah in 2012 gave me the second chance I needed.

I started almost immediately with a mostly vegetable and lean protein diet and added in walking and swimming.

In nine months, I had dropped 100 pounds.

This time, the scale became my friend. My best friend. So much so, that as soon as I woke up, I would weigh myself.

An hour or two later, I would weigh myself again.

In a 24-hour period, I must have weighed myself at least a dozen times.

My self-esteem became wrapped up in the scale. I would be elated when I dropped a pound or two and depressed when the scale didn't move. Or even worse, when I gained.

One day of not seeing the scale move made me anxious. A second and third and fourth day made me depressed, and I would end up eating foods I knew were not good for me. No matter how many compliments I received from people who hadn't seen me in a while, my weight loss meant nothing, because the scale didn't move.

I wanted to find out if other people felt the same way and started Googling "massive weight loss."

It was then that I came across http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/12/health/human-factor-annette-miller/" rel="nofollow - Annette Miller's story . Reading about her struggles renewed my faith in my own struggle. In fact, I became so excited that I http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1054666" rel="nofollow - submitted an application to CNN Fit Nation with further weight loss as my main motivation. But I have been surprised, shocked even, at the twists and turns of this part of my journey.

There are too many things happening to me right now that are far more exciting than losing or gaining weight.

For instance, my insulin intake has dropped from 30 units to 20 units per day (it used to be 300 units a day at 400 pounds).

After our initial meet up in Atlanta, I started walking with friends daily at the park in the mornings and executing the training plan Coach April posted at the gym in the evenings.

Two weeks later, however, I had gained 10 pounds.

I was perplexed. Wasn't I exercising daily? Wasn't I eating all the right foods? The good carbohydrates? The good oils? Nuts and lean meats?

Weight loss, I have come to understand, is not a simple graph with a continuous straight line down.

Weight loss looks more like a river with bends and currents and even waterfalls.

Rivers, of course, ultimately find their way to the sea. And with that certainty in mind, I have decided to no longer stress about the scale.

In fact, I threw out my bathroom scale two months ago and am no longer weighing myself.

There are too many things happening to me right now that are more exciting than losing (or gaining) weight.

For instance, I can run not only a mile but four! Nonstop. In under an hour!

I can swim 1,500 yards in 45 minutes!

I can perform three sets of 12 squats while holding a 6-pound medicine ball.

OK, I still can't do lunges in proper form, but hey, I'm trying.

What I'm discovering is that my new lifestyle means my self-esteem is no longer dependent on a scale, but on the thrills of how far I can push myself daily

Replies:
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:24pm
I use to check my weight 3 times a day . Now i check once a month .

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:25pm
I check when I think about it which isn't a lot. Maybe 3 times a year. My weight is pretty consistent.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:31pm
I check every other day- it helps keep me in line especially since I'm trying to drop weight 

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:33pm
Almost every time I go in the bathroom.

oh I don't do it to 'check' anything. I can tell what I weigh really by how I look/clothes fit. But I like my scale lol

Posted By: femmefatale85
used to be once a week...now i just look for changes in my body

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:34pm
i dont even own a scale.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:34pm
I do, only when I am actively working hard at it.

If I am not 'eliminating' as I know I should, the number on the scale does not bother me much.

I will only do it first thing in the morning, nude, after using the facilities.

I know when I mess up,   so I avoid the scale,   then things can/does have the tendency to get out of control.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:35pm
Clap

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:36pm
i dont even check. my weight stays the same for years at a time.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:40pm
my scale gives a lot of different readings other than weight. I don't trust the numbers and wouldn't plan my doc visits around what it saysLOL, but it's fun to get on it and see  the different #readings and how they change throughout the day.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:42pm
I almost never had a scale. I wish I did.

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:43pm
No, my clothes do that for me...

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:46pm
lol ^^^ I gain a few pounds due to my water comsumption . I never had a problem drinking a lot of water . I guess father time is messing with my body .  My weight never went past 125 .  Now i weigh 135 . I only gain in my tummy after gving birth and lost it . I need to stop the case of water weekly habit . I know women that use the scales at work 8 times during a 12 hour shift .

Posted By: KottonKandy
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:48pm
Most times I do lol. I got thicker last spring and now I'm back a skinny Minnie. I think it's just a habit, but I'm not obsessed with it. When I first lost the weight, I check the scale once or twice a week just to make sure I was keeping up with my lifestyle and could catch myself if I got out of line.

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:49pm
I weigh myself once a week because I am a part of a weight loss challange. But I didn't before.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:50pm
Good luck on the challenge, Rose.I didn't already tell you this, did I?

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

Go to walmart nephew lol . I thought men check the scale more often . My male family members are always trying to look like body builders lol .

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:51pm
Thanks Mix! I don't think you did.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

lol ^^^ I gain a few pounds due to my water comsumption . I never had a problem drinking a lot of water . I guess father time is messing with my body .  My weight never went past 125 .  Now i weigh 135 . I only gain in my tummy after gving birth and lost it . I need to stop the case of water weekly habit . I know women that use the scales at work 8 times during a 12 hour shift .

I've weighed the same since I was 25.
give or take 5 lbs, I've weighed the same since I was 16.
but I do enjoy weighing myself. Maybe something is wrong with meLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

Go to walmart nephew lol . I thought men check the scale more often . My male family members are always trying to look like body builders lol .
Buy me one for my birthday.SleepyLOL

I think I would check my weight often if I did have a scale. I do want to gain more muscle mass.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

Thanks Mix! I don't think you did.
Oh, ok.LOLI've wished you good luck more than a few times so I wasn't sure if I got that one or not. You're welcome.Smile

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:57pm
Maybe once a month

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I've weighed the same since I was 25.
give or take 5 lbs, I've weighed the same since I was 16.
but I do enjoy weighing myself. Maybe something is wrong with meLOLLOLLOL
Nothing wrong with you lol . Blessed .Embarrassed

I don't think I've ever seen hub get on the scale here at home.
Maybe once or twice to weigh the cats (weigh himself, then pick up cat and weigh both to get cat's wt)

o h wait, are we bad parents for weighing our cats? lol

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 7:59pm
Still want to see what Purp looks like...

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:02pm

I need to start using weights . I own 3 scales . One is scary . Same type you see at the doc's office . Buyer remorse lol .

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:05pm
Good luck, Auntie.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:07pm
are you trying to lose or 'firm up' India?

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:12pm

are you trying to lose or 'firm up' India?
Both lol . Hubby likes me with a little more hips . I am not feeling the weight gain . My clothes and scrubs are crying . I will be at 200 by the end of summer if i continue to drink too much water . I think the change is coming . LOLCry

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:15pm
are you retaining water?

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:21pm

are you retaining water?
Yes . My doctor ask me to slow my consumption or take water piils . I also gain a few pounds during my illness . Prednisone is the devil . I will never take that again . I felt worse and gain weight .

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:23pm
oh yes. My GF was on that  for a while.

Posted By: missdeeluxe
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:33pm
I try not to.
I weigh myself maybe every 3-4 days.

It gives me a good idea of where I'm at and more motivation to keep going.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by missdeeluxe missdeeluxe wrote:

I try not to.

My husband is the same way . You look petite in your avi .

Posted By: missdeeluxe
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 8:51pm

Originally posted by missdeeluxe missdeeluxe wrote:

I try not to.

My husband is the same way . You look petite in your avi .

I'm curvier, which can get outta control pretty quick LOL
On some of the Body Types challenges though.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 9:25pm
You look fine, boring Michigan.

Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 9:26pm
And Purp knows she heard what I said.Ok, I'll leave her alone but I hope one day she changes her mind.

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 10:57pm
No, I'm not even trying to play myself like that Confused

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 05 2014 at 11:04pm
I used to every morning ASAP.

I don't anymore unless I'm in the middle of some extreme diet..but I can go a while without

I did get on at least 10 times in the past 24 hrs though lol

Posted By: thickblkbarbie
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:22am
Nope I haven't check my weight since i quit smoking 2 years ago, when I go to dr appointment I let them ,I have no interest in knowing .. I now I lost some due to, a change in my eating habits, and my clothes fit differently

Posted By: Immie89
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:09am
Every morning...afternoon evening...and I always try do it after I have used the toilet. I'm obsessed

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:17am
Sometimes twice a day. It's amazing how quick I'll gain if I step out of line and yet how slowly I'll lose when I do everything right. This body of mine is mighty uncooperative.

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 11:24am
I used to when I was on a juice diet and losing a pound a day. That obsession was sooooo unhealthy for me. Now I check every two weeks or once a month. I go by how my clothes feel.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:17pm
I used to check every Monday morning before I got pregnant. Now I just wait for the dr. to do it.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i dont even own a scale.

I haven't owned one in years.

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 12:18pm
i checked every two days when i was lifting. mustve been nutzLOL

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:41pm
i used to every chance i got.
its in the closet right now

now i dont fool with it cuz im scared
i know i put on a crazy amount of weight cuz my "fat" clothes are getting snug Cry

Posted By: eanaj5
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 2:44pm
which reminds me, do any of you ladies who fluctuate on occasion keep different sizes in ur closet
?
I have "skinny" jeans, normal jeans and "Fat" jeans, sizes 8/9,10/11, and 12 respectively

Posted By: slykitten
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 4:02pm
I need to start trying to put on smaller clothing to gauge my weight, not just the scale.

Posted By: MsBianca
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Sometimes twice a day. It's amazing how quick I'll gain if I step out of line and yet how slowly I'll lose when I do everything right. This body of mine is mighty uncooperative.

THIS

Yep, I weight EVERY MORNING and sometimes 2 or 3 times per day. It definitely helps to keep me in check because once I start gaining, it can get out of control if I don't watch it.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jun 06 2014 at 4:15pm
Yes, I weigh everyday....its reminder to myself to keep the weight off. 

Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

i used to every chance i got.
its in the closet right now

now i dont fool with it cuz im scared
i know i put on a crazy amount of weight cuz my "fat" clothes are getting snug Cry
Hug

Posted By: TayTay
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 2:44pm
I used to every day and sometimes more than that. It was getting obsessive so I told my mom to hide it.

My body doesn't like me anyway Disapprove

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 5:32pm
I haven't checked my weight in a few months. I used to check it alot but I just don't see the point now. I just focus on being healthy and looking and feeling good. My weight always flucuates 5-6lbs anyways.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:08pm
I check my weight every six months. 

Posted By: leftywefty
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:15pm
yes..its an unhealthy habitDisapprove

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:19pm
im gonna check today ^_^

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 6:25pm
No need when I have my mom and aunties letting me know every time I look like I gained weight smh Ermm

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Jun 07 2014 at 8:48pm
My oldest son asked me when was the last time I went jogging. I was like last week why? He said I look like I gained a few pounds. I feel like I lost a few.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 2:19am
Originally posted by eanaj5 eanaj5 wrote:

which reminds me, do any of you ladies who fluctuate on occasion keep different sizes in ur closet
?
I have "skinny" jeans, normal jeans and "Fat" jeans, sizes 8/9,10/11, and 12 respectively

I'll admit to that

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 7:40am
A couple times a day, it's kind of unhealthy.
I'm weird I go through periods where I look in the mirror and all I see is fat and then I go super hard in the gym and diet and then a couple weeks go by and I'll look in the mirror and see skinny and then try to eat everything in site and slow down in the gym to gain weight.
My brain loves phucking with me. I'm skinny but the shyt can't compute at times.
Le sigh.

Posted By: Petty LaBelle
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 9:14am
Maybe once every two weeks but the scale doesn't even matter you can tell more so by how your clothes fit. Scales lie.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:36am

why would you check everyday?

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:37am
she gained 10 lbs in 2 weeks cuz she wasn't checking....

hops on scale

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:40am
I mean I could understand if you're doing some type of cleanse or special diet for a week or two..and your supposed to lose like 5 pounds and you wanna keep notes or summn...

But you ain't doing nothing out the ordinary but just checking everyday..hmm

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:42am
oh I didn't read that article..guess I should have lol...

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 10:45am
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

I mean I could understand if you're doing some type of cleanse or special diet for a week or two..and your supposed to lose like 5 pounds and you wanna keep notes or summn...

But you ain't doing nothing out the ordinary but just checking everyday..hmm

todays result is a reflection of what i did yesterday
more so, you learn your patterns so that you dont have to check every day 
now depending on your weight and metabolism, that may or may not apply to you 

as stated above, she went 2 weeks, gained 10 lbs. some of yall go 6 months, and stay about the same.

Date Posted: Jun 08 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

No need when I have my mom and aunties letting me know every time I look like I gained weight smh Ermm
One of my grands use to do that to my sister . She would not visit her . She called me a poster kid for feed the children back in the day . I laugh and talked about her gold rotting gold teeth on the low lol . I love my Big mama . LOL Just ignore is possible. Hug

Print Page | Close Window