Print Page | Close Window

cotton gins, whites only and hangings, oh my

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371212
Printed Date: Oct 23 2017 at 10:46am

Topic: cotton gins, whites only and hangings, oh my
Posted By: tatee
Subject: cotton gins, whites only and hangings, oh my
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 8:56am

Tennessee Cotton Gin Boss Caught on Tape - We Hang BLACKS for Drinking WHITE PEOPLE ONLY Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqZq5r7ZvYM&r=1

A cotton gin in Memphis, Tennessee is facing a federal discrimination complaint after one of its supervisors was caught on a cell phone recording making racist remarks to black employees. African-American workers at the Atkinson Cotton Warehouse this week described to WREG treatment that evoked cotton's historic connections to racism and slavery. According to Antonio Harris and Marrio Mangrum, their boss at the cotton gin longed for the days of Jim Crow, when white men could "hang" black men for drinking from the wrong water fountain. "He would be like, 'You need to think like a white man,'" Mangrum recalled.

"He pulled his pants down in front of us and told us to kiss his white tail," Harris explained.

After enduring months of racist comments, Harris decided to use his cell phone to record an attempt to drink from a water fountain in the warehouse.

"I need to put a sign here that says 'white people only,'" the supervisor says in the recording.

When Harris tries to use the microwave, the boss tells him he is not allowed to use it because "you are not white."

"As a white man, we don't even let Larry use it," the boss notes in reference to a black employee who had worked at the cotton gin for over 10 years.

The supervisor goes on to lament that that blacks and whites are no longer kept separate in the United States through segregation.

"Back then, nobody thought anything about it," he opines. "Now everybody is made to where to think it's bad."

"Put your sign on the wall then, because I am feeling to drink it," Harris asks. "What would they do when they catch me drinking your water?"

"That's when we hang you," the supervisor warns.

Harris said that he thought about the racist treatment "every day of my life."

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) was working to mediate a settlement with the Atkinson Cotton Warehouse after Harris and Mangrum filed a discrimination complaint.

An employee of the cotton gin told WREG that the supervisor had been on vacation in recent days, but he had not been fired.

http://wreg.com/2014/06/02/worker-records-racist-supervisor-in-cotton-gin/" rel="nofollow - http://wreg.com/2014/06/02/worker-records-racist-supervisor-in-cotton-gin/

Replies:
Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:11am
jesus

i hope they settle for no less than a couple hundred thousand or a percentage of the business.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:11am
um bro...u makin 250.00 an hour quit ur complaining....*walking away*

Embarrassed 5,4,3,2,1____________________________

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:14am
DiorLOLCryLOL

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:18am
sorry ..just had to take it there.....oh well....they;ll win...

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:39am
So this had been going on for awhile and this was the first time they reported it? SMH. I wonder why they waited so long.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:40am

I will express my thoughts next week . I never imagine how hard it would be to keep my promise . I hope they win and close the hell hole .

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

it's hard because only saying nice things all the time is unrealistic lol
I ignore a lot of things now , but i wish the rules would change . Celebs and racist topics are hard for me . You are a mean samone . Cry

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:19am
honestly, you guys in that challenge just arent being creative enough.  there are more definitions to nice than just being pleasing and agreeable.  just dig a little deeper.

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:26am
so they are still alive

And there are still places were they continue with this evil

I'm glad that he taped it and I hope that this racist's life is sufficiently turned upside down that by this time next year he'll address any black person her encountersany sir or ma'am

If enough of these leftovers are made to fake it, their kids or their kid's kids will make it

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:26am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

honestly, you guys in that challenge just arent being creative enough.  there are more definitions to nice than just being pleasing and agreeable.  just dig a little deeper.
Impossible for my old brain . Hubby calls me Madea . Cry

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:27am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I will express my thoughts next week . I never imagine how hard it would be to keep my promise . I hope they win and close the hell hole .

LOLindia be reading these topics like

just a few more days left...Wink
You know me lol . Thanks .

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:32am

Impossible for my old brain . Hubby calls me Madea . Cry

so didnt you just technically just fail the challenge?LOL

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:42am
Tatee leave your own topic now !!! lol . You can talk about yourself without breaking the rules i pray .LOLCry

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

sorry ..just had to take it there.....oh well....they;ll win...

I knew you would BUT that $250 never came with any caveats soTongueTongueTongue

IN recent times  basket ball players, catering service/restautaurant worker w/paula deen have been working for racists. SO GWEH while i count this USD's over here!!!!!

I cant listen to the video i will in a bit

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:46am

Tatee leave your own topic now !!! lol . You can talk about yourself without breaking the rules i pray .LOLCry

okay, okay but who's more important than you?

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:49am

okay, okay but who's more important than you?
Right . I want to adopt you and Diane .. Hug

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:49am
Oh its about to be a class action law suit. I wonder why it took him so long to decided to record it. I can only imagine what their HR department has done about this.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:50am

nice
nīs/
adjective
pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory.
"we had a nice time"
synonyms:     enjoyable, pleasant, agreeable, good, satisfying, gratifying, delightful, marvelous; More

Help us bc I don't know the way.

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:55am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

nice
nīs/
adjective
pleasant; agreeable; satisfactory.
"we had a nice time"
synonyms:     enjoyable, pleasant, agreeable, good, satisfying, gratifying, delightful, marvelous; More

Help us bc I don't know the way.

you looked for synonyms instead alternate meanings

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 10:59am
It still looks like all of the same thing to me

That's why in the braids thread, while I acknowledged my disagreement w the stylist I was tactful enough not to include insults in my criticism...I think. Ie saying their actions were wrong instead of they ain't sh*t.

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 11:23am
you can put a silk glove over an iron fist Wink

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 11:24am
you can be critical in a positive way

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 11:27am
to me, I don't care how long it took him to record it

Just glad he did

Maybe he had another job lined up so he could afford to expose the racist, but to me it has no impact on what the racist said or what should be done about the racist 

Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 12:02pm
this racist definitely qualifies SL

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 12:32pm
the microwave, the fountain and larry who has been working for decades. Be still my heart. 

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:21pm
I'm so glad they recorded him, and thank the goodness for technology.
I don't even want to think about the # of times this happened to people before we had the ability to press record. Now, these racists can be brought out with proof.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:23pm

lol. India is going to win this game!

oh, what's the prize for the winner? Yall mentioned punishments for breaki9ng the rules, but did anyone say what you'd get if you didn't break them? LOLLOL  Is it that you just get the title of BHM's nicest poster? I might not want to give that title up yet.LOL
LOL

Posted By: Prtybrwneye_z
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:40pm
Only do much racism I can handle in one day Bhm

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

lol well it will be over soon

there will be so many week old threads that will be bumped by next monday
It's so hard.Big smile

I am excited for the workers. They have hard proof that they were mistreated.

*insert bindy's lawsuit gif*

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 2:52pm
A great leap back in time.

Modern day technology....Caught on tape.   

Print Page | Close Window