Print Page | Close Window

Student Caught Cheating Commits Suicide

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371174
Printed Date: Nov 24 2017 at 10:07pm

Topic: Student Caught Cheating Commits Suicide
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Student Caught Cheating Commits Suicide
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:16pm

http://nypost.com/2014/05/30/teen-student-jumps-to-death-after-shes-caught-cheating/" rel="nofollow - Teen student jumps to death after she’s caught cheating

By http://nypost.com/author/natasha-velez/" rel="nofollow - Natasha Velez , http://nypost.com/author/georgett-roberts/" rel="nofollow - Georgett Roberts and http://nypost.com/author/jamie-schram/" rel="nofollow - Jamie Schram

A bright student at a top city high school was humiliated in front of her classmates for cheating on a test — and was so ashamed that she jumped to her death in the Hudson River Thursday, sources told The Post.

Omotayo Adeoye, 17, of The Bronx, wrote a suicide note right on her German-language exam that read, “I just want to go away forever on the bottom of the river,” law-enforcement sources said.

Divers were still searching Friday night for the biology whiz in the waters off Washington Heights, where she jumped in Thursday afternoon.

Adeoye’s teacher, Eva Malikova

The promising senior was caught peeking at her cellphone during the German test at the Harlem HS for Math, Science and Engineering, which is affiliated with the City College of New York.

Her teacher, Eva Malikova, “was walking around the room and saw [Adeoye] on her phone,” a male classmate said.

“She snatched it away from her and started screaming at her, ‘Oh, you shouldn’t be cheating! You guys shouldn’t be cheating! You guys are lying to yourselves!’ ”

Adeoye burst into tears, sobbing, “I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

“Oh, you are not really sorry,” Malikova allegedly snapped back. “That’s not a sincere apology!”

Law-enforcement sources confirmed the classroom exchange.

At around 2:15 p.m., a teary-eyed Adeoye scrawled her desperate note on the test, then asked to use the bathroom.

She never returned — instead walking from the West 140th Street school to the Hudson River’s edge at West 165th Street.

Shocked fishermen watched helplessly as she placed her ID on a rock, then jumped in the water.

The NYPD searches for Adeoye’s body in the Hudson River Friday.Photo: Warzer Jaff

Adeoye — whose father told cops she can’t swim — ignored their cries to go ashore, the witnesses told cops.

NYPD searches the Hudson River.Photo: Warzer Jaff

She appeared to be forcing herself down, they said.

Her head bobbed briefly above the surface before she was completely submerged.

The first 911 call came in at 3:35 p.m., nearly an hour before school officials alerted cops to her disappearance at 4:20 p.m.

A Department of Education spokeswoman said, “We are conducting an investigation into this tragic incident, and we are taking immediate action.”

She said the DOE would do more to address mental-health issues with students.

Malikova could not be reached for comment, but several students said they heard her screaming in anguish at the school this morning.

She did not teach any classes.

If it is confirmed that Adeoye killed herself, it would bring the total number of public-school student suicides to 14 so far this year, the DOE said.

There were 14 suicides in the 2012-13 school year.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with her family and her school community,” said Schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña. “This must be a call to action.”

http://nypost.com/2014/05/30/teen-student-jumps-to-death-after-shes-caught-cheating/

Replies:
Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:18pm
Imo, she had issues way before cheating...

Shame

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:18pm
She had the worst coping skills ever.
There was probably a lot of pressure on her a well.

There was a breakdown some where.
Sad she wanted out this way

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:20pm
had to be something else before this...cause...

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:21pm
On my way in I was like "They can't be black, I know that already". But she African, that explains it. With great pride comes the capacity for great shame.

jmo

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:23pm
I do think there were other issues much bigger than the test.That teacher gonna have that in her head forever....

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:25pm
Cry

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:25pm
I feel for real sad. The embarrassment, the depression. The teachers sadness. Teachers go off on students they care about all the time, so her snapping like that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I was a great student and I've had multiple teachers go in really hard on me when I didn't work to my full potential. This is so sad.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:27pm
Parents really need to focus more on their children's emotional health. Impulse control, understanding consequences, coping with anger/fear/embarrassment, are all just as important as feeding them and keeping them safe.

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:30pm
I absolutely hate that the teacher will somehow think this is her fault. I know so many people in high positions who cheated their way to prestigious universities. Hell, I know someone in college who was caught cheating on a Nutrition exam and had NOTHING done to her. She was Indian and the only thing I could think was if my black ass had done something like that, my dreams of a future in my field would be over.Something else was happening to make the young girl do that. RIP.

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:32pm
teachers an ass
classmates dont really care if you cheated..
it wasn't that serious but it sucks that she felt so embarrassed she had to kill herself
wow

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:37pm
It's not the teacher's fault. I don't mind harsh admonishment from teachers though

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by missunfoolish missunfoolish wrote:

teachers an ass
classmates dont really care if you cheated..
it wasn't that serious but it sucks that she felt so embarrassed she had to kill herself
wow

I think this was just the cherry on top of what she felt was a sh*tty existence. Depression is like that. It sounds like she thought about how she wanted to die and everything. That day was just it after that.

I used to imagine swerving infrnt of a truck to die so no one would think I killed myself and b sad (in that way). I'd wake up, take a shower, work, drive, and the whole time I'd imagine how peaceful and releasing it would be. Then one day I got into a bad argument with someone and slit my wrists. That person swears it was over them, but I keep telling them that it was everything and the only thing that gave me peace was thinking about dying. This is why I hope the teacher doesn't beat herself up (forever) about this. It only takes one thing on top of what u think isn't worth living for.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:44pm
All the articles I read on this incident before allude to her being depressed and this being the trigger event

Sad either way.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:53pm
The teacher was wrong if she knew the young lady was depress . My husband is a engineer . Not a easy field to enter at any age . Some days his eyes are red as fire after work.  What did she mean by "you guys are lying to yoursleves" ? RIP . Cry 

“She snatched it away from her and started screaming at her, ‘Oh, you shouldn’t be cheating! You guys shouldn’t be cheating! You guys are lying to yourselves

Posted By: lovelove
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:06pm
Teachers are not lenient about cheating & they should not be.Any teacher I ever had simply did not play that sh*t.Even as a college student, if you are caught cheating there are BIG consequences (with the possibility of getting kicked out of school).That's why they are hard on us in school about cheating through out elementary,middle,& highschool.I will not blame the teacher.

I do think this girl felt a lot of pressure.Every African student I've ever met has told me their family expects the very best from them (A's).The poor girl probably felt so ashamed.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:19pm
poor baby

Posted By: thickblkbarbie
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:24pm
I am mad at the teacher for embarrassing the young like that . Should could of pulled aside after class was over .. Yea may of had problems that I get ..but she had no right insulted someone child

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:29pm
Wow. She was really emotionally fragile. I got my ass beat in the worst way for bringing mediocre report cards before and the sheer anticipation of it could have pushed me to suicide, yet I'm still here. RIP.

I bet that if she hadn't offed herself, her father would have ripped her apart when she got home. I shudder to think what would have happened to me if I'd ever been caught cheating...

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:33pm
Sad, but life ain't builT for the weak and the soft.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:34pm
I think he was thinking about what her parents are going to say and do when they get that call. And what her family is going to think of her.

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

The teacher was wrong if she knew the young lady was depress . My husband is a engineer . Not a easy field to enter at any age . Some days his eyes are red as fire after work.  What did she mean by "you guys are lying to yoursleves" ? RIP . Cry 

“She snatched it away from her and started screaming at her, ‘Oh, you shouldn’t be cheating! You guys shouldn’t be cheating! You guys are lying to yourselves

I guess it's my own biases speaking but I never liked those eastern European types. I bet she thought it was "typical" behaviour. I do blame the teacher, to some extent.

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:39pm
so now we blaming outside people on folks committing suicide....wowzers...RIP this girl tho

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:02pm
mental health advocate, but it was not the teacher's fault
worse triggers in life were coming. this one just came so early :-(

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:24pm
OMG she's Nigerian and Yoruba at that. The pressure is super high on foreigners. At my university in NY there was a Indian girl that committed suicide and jumps out from the 8th floor building. It was super sad. She got a B on her paper. Cry

The pressure is so high to succeed. The amount of Asians and foreigners that took school super serious I felt super dumb. Like what am I not doing. Especially when I failed calculus 2ce and the professor felt sorry for me and passed me on the 3rd time. The amount of side eye stares I got was amazing. 

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 10:04pm
It is an embarrassing situation to be caught cheating, but that can't be all that caused her to jump into the River.

Parents so often put pressure on their children to succeed, and there are consequences for failure.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 1:41am
sad times, R.I.P

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 6:31am
Shid, I won't commit my life for a Damn B. I will off those who try to kick my ass.

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 6:37am
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

So sadCry poor child
my husband is an Engineer as well and oh boy do I remember them days he was held up in the office studying for hours and days

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 7:07am
I'm thinking she already had 99 problems issues, but cheating wasn't one of them Disapprove

and that teacher was an ass.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 7:28am
Germans are asses ask the jews

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 7:41am
She's only in highschool. Smh schools suck at teaching and they still find a way to harm children instead of helping smh.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jun 04 2014 at 5:21am
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Parents really need to focus more on their children's emotional health. Impulse control, understanding consequences, coping with anger/fear/embarrassment, are all just as important as feeding them and keeping them safe.

Girl her people are Nigerian, ain't no chance for that.

Print Page | Close Window