Print Page | Close Window

if u could erase ur terrible memories...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371173
Printed Date: Jun 22 2018 at 11:56pm

Topic: if u could erase ur terrible memories...
Posted By: creole booty
Subject: if u could erase ur terrible memories...
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:59pm
Would u?

Link to article that few will read:http://www.cnet.com/news/scientists-selectively-erase-memories-from-meth-addicted-mice/

I wouldn't, but I would for others. I can deal with my traumatic stuff. However, I know people who can't and I would definitely recommend that to them if it were available. They would be so much happier if they could just forget and I know they wouldn't miss the memories.

Replies:
Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:04pm
No, they've made me strong and wise.

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:06pm
No scifi movie sht for me.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

No, they've made me strong and wise.
  I agree .  I would only erase one .

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:15pm

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:16pm
wait, do you mean erase the memory or erase the event? I'd definitely choose to delete the memory, but not the actual event unless I was guaranteed nothing else would change.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:17pm
yup.

Posted By: BonitaApplebaum
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:19pm
NOPE.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:20pm
I try to.

Lord know I have a lot of them.

But, they help me to remember what not to do

Posted By: HeyBeautiful18
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:22pm
No I wouldnt

They happened for a reason

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:30pm
No, i learned a lot from bad experiences.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:32pm
No my memories are what keeps me from making the same stupid mistake again.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

wait, do you mean erase the memory or erase the event? I'd definitely choose to delete the memory, but not the actual event unless I was guaranteed nothing else would change.

Erase the memory. Like u never knew it happened. That way if it was traumatic, now you'll live life normal (or ur definition of normal)

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:36pm
oh in that case I'd probably say no. I've always felt that if you changed one thing in  your past it would change your future. Even small things like the color polish you wore that day. So no. lol

(I don't really have any terrible memories thank goodness; but  even for the not so good memories I'd be afraid to delete them because I have a great life and wouldn't want to risk changing anything)

nevermind. You said like you never knew it happened. In that case, yes

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:39pm
Some of them yes but most of them no.  One of the most traumatic things I witnessed as a child wasn't even that big of a deal but it made me afraid of my brothers Cry  One of them disrespected our mama and the other commenced to whoopin his ass.  It wasn't an easy win though.  They beat each other horribly.  Both were over 200 lbs athletes.  It was horrible watching two people I loved so much hurt each other so badly but also to see how strong they were and what they were capable of made me not want to go near them.  

I don't know how helpless children grow up in homes where one parent is abusing the other.  Those were just my brothers and that mess haunted me for a while.  To this day, I look at my husband sometimes and think "he could really me up if he wanted to."  

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

oh in that case I'd probably say no. I've always felt that if you changed one thing in  your past it would change your future. Even small things like the color polish you wore that day. So no. lol

(I don't really have any terrible memories thank goodness; but  even for the not so good memories I'd be afraid to delete them because I have a great life and wouldn't want to risk changing anything)

I bet you watched all three Back to the Futures huh? LOL

lol. I want to say yes.
but not even 1

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:40pm

I bet you watched all three Back to the Futures huh? LOL

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:44pm
ThatG, I've read enough sci fi though to know you don't go messing around w/ the past lol

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:46pm
Then you would like the movies Purp!  They are some of my favs Embarrassed

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:47pm
oh I've heard of them TG. I bet hub has all of them  here somewhere. He loves movies; me not so much.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

yes

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:01pm

ThatG, I've read enough sci fi though to know you don't go messing around w/ the past lol
Purp has got it right.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:06pm
absolutely...unresolved issues are the only thing that keeps me from being great...er.

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:39pm
Only one horrific experience I would erase. 

On another note. 

My therapist told me this amazing story about a rape survivor. 

Apparently the woman was plagued with PTSD for quite sometime. Welp, after she overcame the trauma she went on to become a journalist covering war torn nations. The lady would seek out dangerous men to interview. She had zero fcuks to give.

This lady lost ALL chill. It's like once she found her peace again... the lady morphed into some sort of adrenaline junky beast. 

Naturally I thought... AWESOME!LOLBig smileBig smile

Naturally, my therapist felt otherwise due to the extremely polar opposite personality that she developed.

She was of the opinion that it's about balance.

Psssshhh. I'm here for ass whooping names taking will shoot to kill a mutha_er version 2.0 ladyLOL

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:43pm
That's amazing. And thought provoking. I've been thrill chasing and I think u just explained something.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:45pm
I do think overcoming (going thru something horrible and surviving it)  is what teaches you that you can. That does make you feel powerful.

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:00pm
Absolutely Purp!! "If" you manage to come to terms with the trauma, no longer fear the past event, blah blah blah.... you can manage to soar. But it might not be the most elegant take off. 

Creole isn't it amazing! I can definitely attest to that theory. Son.... once I regained my composure I was like.... whatever you throw at me I will eat that ish for breakfast.

I too, had to be reeled back in. LOL 
I would fight for my RIGHT to walk my dogs at night. Would argue my loved ones down. 

Yah..... I eventually came to terms with my inner aggression and need for speed.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:04pm
^^yes!! I know what you mean.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:12pm
Quote The trick, of course, lies in removing just those memories, leaving the rest intact...Our study shows we can do just that in mice — wipe out deeply ingrained drug-related memories without harming other memories.

how exactly is a mouse gonna tell you if other memories are impairedStern Smile  for that matter how would the mouse know if he can no longr remember.  poor mickey gonna forget he ever knew minnieLOL

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:15pm
Why? I never been traumatized and its from a human enough to do me like that he better watch himself and his lov ones. I'm vengeful

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:18pm

yes

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:30pm
the meth part... never

But if it's proven safe, reliable, and you can pinpoint specific memories, yes I would

It's funny how we subconsciously live by so many unfounded sabotaging truths, storylines, limitations 

It would be nice to start fresh

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:50pm
already do

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:51pm
Some of them.

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:52pm
Erase memories? Nah, I need them to be cautious and not naive. Erase people though

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:57pm
Without hesitation. Some memories are just burdens. They don't help you grow or elevate you, they just saddle you.

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:35pm
No, Don't trust it. If they can remove memories, they may be able to add false ones.

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Without hesitation. Some memories are just burdens. They don't help you grow or elevate you, they just saddle you.

I'm conflicted, but I definitely agree with this. This is why I'm having trouble moving forward in life right now.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:55pm
The weak always want to forget.

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 9:24pm
Nope.

Those memories may hurt, but they were a part of events that shaped my life and happened for particular/important reasons.

I'd hate to ignore something someone did/said to me in the past and be giving them love/attention/affection they surely do not deserve.

I wanna remember every little thing you did to make me hate you so when I'm famous, I can laugh in your face when you come itchin' like a crackhead for a dolla.

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by CLCNY20 CLCNY20 wrote:

Nope.

Those memories may hurt, but they were a part of events that shaped my life and happened for particular/important reasons.

I'd hate to ignore something someone did/said to me in the past and be giving them love/attention/affection they surely do not deserve.

I wanna remember every little thing you did to make me hate you so when I'm famous, I can laugh in your face when you come itchin' like a crackhead for a dolla.

Was just coming in to post this...

I cant imagine myself keekeeing it up with some people I have cut out of my life for a reason, cos I forgot the reason

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

totally agree with this.  especially if they happened to you as a child when you not only didn't deserve the experience, but makes it much more difficult to develop certain tools as an adult.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 4:59pm

this thread helped me realize why I really do have a problem with forgiveness

not so much the act but getting over how the person made me feel

if I think something is deliberate it's so hard to forgive someone purposefully hurting you

it's also the reason why I like emotionally hurting the person as an a way to get even....usually if I can do this I can get over something pretty quick

....my EQ (not IQ) isn't too high when it comes to this lol

yes.

..people will forget what you said and what you did, but will never forget how you made them feel.  /Maya A.
(paraphrased)

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 6:21pm
I will never forget that phrase.

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 8:40pm
Yes life would be so much easier.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:20pm
That quote is so true for good and bad.

Posted By: Brjasuga51
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 9:35pm
Erase the memory a..NOPES. Everything bad that happened to me has made stronger and more capable of handling situations now .

Print Page | Close Window