Print Page | Close Window

Did you know Sandra Bullock adopted a High School?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=371166
Printed Date: Sep 20 2017 at 5:12am

Topic: Did you know Sandra Bullock adopted a High School?
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: Did you know Sandra Bullock adopted a High School?
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:44pm
Sandra Bullock poses with her "adopted" high school graduates - New Orleans - May 2014

PEOPLE Magazine

Inspired by New Orleans' Determined Youth, http://www.amazon.com/Proposal-Single-Disc-Edition-Sandra-Bullock/dp/B002K0WBXW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1351200787&sr=8-12&keywords=sandra+bullock" rel="nofollow - Sandra Bullock Adopted a School
By Julie Jordan

06/01/2014 at 09:30 AM EDT

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Proposal-Single-Disc-Edition-Sandra-Bullock/dp/B002K0WBXW/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1351200787&sr=8-12&keywords=sandra+bullock" rel="nofollow - Sandra Bullock is tired of hearing only bad news.

"No one ever talks about the good," she says. "If you are ever wondering about how good life is and can be, you can come to Warren Easton."

The actress, 49, adopted the public charter high school in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005.

Bullock's donations have helped rebuild the historic campus, fund scholarships for graduates, pay for athletic equipment and band uniforms and open a health clinic.

"These kids have been working a couple of jobs, some come from hard places, but every time they walk under that roof, they know they're cared for," she says. "They're admired for what they can bring to the table."

As principal Alexina Medley puts it, "When you come to Easton, you become part of the family."

Replies:
Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:48pm
Real life blind side.

I can't be mad atwhite ppl willing to give and help at levels a lot of our own black celebs won't

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:49pm
Clap That's Amazing

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:49pm
We gon throw shade?  Cause I like her......

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

not this week Approve

i like her too

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

no shade I like bullock she genuinely cares Clap

Posted By: MsBMW
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:57pm
That's great..no shade..I like her too..

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:58pm
i like her

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:59pm
She gets a pass..

for now.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 12:59pm
That's cool.
She's from around there isn't she?

I want pics of Louis

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:03pm
folks always hating but if i was one of those students i'd tell folks to shut the fucc up cause u aint helping me...I remember folks was talking about her adopting Baby Louis was a publicity stunt...man if I was Baby Louis I woulda been like "u player haters need to shut the fucc up and let me get my hustle on"

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:07pm
thats great! 

she seems like a great person

This is teetering on becoming something...can't quite put my finger on it.

Sandra using her platform and her money to look out for ppl who need it.
Kudos ...

I think her intentions might be genuine but I give a heavy side-eye to People magazine and their white savior complex

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:14pm
it's a very personal way to give, has a direct, long lasting impact on these kids lives

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:16pm
yeah the motivations/motivators behind it might be off and if it is, we can only hope it's a progression 

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:23pm
Black celebs cannot use their money to help the black community check out Dr Umar, he breaks it down and why Oprah had to make a school in Africa instead in Chicago and only a all girl school.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:41pm
Black celebs help black children all the time, it just doesn't make the cover of magazines. Black people helping each other doesn't fit in with the narrative.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:41pm
Clap

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Black celebs help black children all the time, it just doesn't make the cover of magazines. Black people helping each other doesn't fit in with the narrative.

I'm talking about big initiatives.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Kudos ...
lol you too? I thought her ex biker hubby was outed as a racist?

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:18pm
this is cool, I'd love to sponsor a school if I were wealthy.

Anyone remember that Office episode Scott's tots?  Michael promised a classroom of underprivileged elementary students that if they made it through high school he would fund their college tuition.  He genuinely thought he would become rich in the 10years it would take.  He didn't.  All he had to offer were laptop batteries, just the spare batteries. Episode was sad but hilarious.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:20pm
Lmao yes.
I need to re watch it.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:28pm
Good for her.

She has been fortunate and is paying it forward. Does not matter what race.

There are unfortunates within every race.   

You never know what might become of someone to whom you extend a helping hand.

Posted By: Cocoa
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Black celebs cannot use their money to help the black community check out Dr Umar, he breaks it down and why Oprah had to make a school in Africa instead in Chicago and only a all girl school.

ConfusedOprah has put 100s of Black men through Morehouse alone...

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

folks always hating but if i was one of those students i'd tell folks to shut the fucc up cause u aint helping me...I remember folks was talking about her adopting Baby Louis was a publicity stunt...man if I was Baby Louis I woulda been like "u player haters need to shut the fucc up and let me get my hustle on"

LOL @ a baby saying stfu

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

Businesses?

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:13pm
Many black celebs and wealthy people do similar things in our communities they just don't advertise it. Many of them give through private foundations and donor funds and other ways that don't have their names attached.

But anyway, good on Sandra and anyone else who does this sort of thing. Remember you can make a difference in lots of small ways so do it. I know people who get together with friends and buy all the books for a few nursing students they know and things like that.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Real life blind side.

I can't be mad atwhite ppl willing to give and help at levels a lot of our own black celebs (Beyaki, kanye, Kevin hart....)*won't
Truth

Posted By: HaitianDiva64
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:42pm
There are a lot of black celebs that have foundations and such to give themselves money. Since jay z had his how many pl has he put through college?

I'm talking celebs that get involved for a short while and ten forget about the cause or ppl? And I mean A list.

Ilive can you ost the vid?
I know wayne and baby do a lot for NO to. What black celebs besides O, have long term projects going on to help the community? Dos tyra sti have the camp?

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 3:59pm
This is nice.  I used to adore her for her awkwardness.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:09pm
that picture is lovely.  i used to side eye her for picking that hillbilly ex husband of hers.  but, maybe his backwoods ways is the reason she couldn't get along with him...

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:12pm
I'll post the video when I get home from work.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Many black celebs and wealthy people do similar things in our communities they just don't advertise it. Many of them give through private foundations and donor funds and other ways that don't have their names attached.

But anyway, good on Sandra and anyone else who does this sort of thing. Remember you can make a difference in lots of small ways so do it. I know people who get together with friends and buy all the books for a few nursing students they know and things like that.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I have read that she is racist but have no proof lol

this is nice

She started the adoption of Louie,
even when she was married to "what's his name"

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:25pm
Interesting that you mentioned this... I watched the video ilive was talking about (I think) and this is part of Umar Johnson's point

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 4:26pm

exactly. every little  bit helps. Even something as small as going to back to the youth center you went to as a child and donating new school clothes..

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Cocoa Cocoa wrote:

Clap

you left off... 'and you sir?' lol

I loved it.

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:08pm

Kudos ...

Hangs head 

We gotta stop bumping into one another like this.

My gut is nagging me.

But I like to see ya'll smile...therefore I'll kindly stfu on this one! We can feel good about this for now.

Yup.

Nothing to see here seductress. Nope

Nothing.

Nuh uh

minding my business. won't hear a peep outta me

Those kids look beautiful and happy. Get thee behind me satan!

Geek

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:10pm
so seducky you saying she most likely is cut from the same trash bag cloth as her ex???

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:11pm
I need to atone for my skepticism. 

Let me go back and thank all the kind replies from black folks.

Teamwork makes the dream work.

I lean on black folks when my cynicism starts bubbling up.... Page one was so frigging pleasant. 

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:12pm
what did she do?

Posted By: nebhnebh
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:13pm
Good for them, good for her, nice picture.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:15pm
i don't see the downside to this...

now, can someone explain to me like i'm a 4 year old / denzel voice

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Kudos ...
lol you too? I thought her ex biker hubby was outed as a racist?

Nooooooooo....

I was doing so good. The cheerfulness on the first page made me check my self.

Grrrrrrrr.

It's all downhill from here isn't itOuch 

( goes back to page 3)

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

so seducky you saying she most likely is cut from the same trash bag cloth as her ex???

I don't trust it.

Like, maybe I don't trust her intentions. 

I could have sworn her ex was a racist.

So that makes me a bit.... uneasy. 

I'm glad her money is benefiting these kids. For sure.

I just hope the kids don't get lost in her hype so to speak. 

Something very self serving about that magazine spread + black kids beaming flocked about her feet = leeriness 

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 6:59pm
Thanks Samone

I thought so. 

Maybe that's why she divorced him

Meh

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:03pm
That's great!

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:33pm
It's a nice gesture. Can't quite get over the pic of that grown ass teenage girl sitting on her lap, though. That's just weird to me.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:34pm
Paternalism?

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:37pm

Posted By: yurika975
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 7:45pm
She cut homeboy off before adopting the little baby. I can't fault her for a piece of shat ex. Now if she were still with him and had thAt little cute baby around that butthead...wooo Chile! I do like her movies.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

this is cool, I'd love to sponsor a school if I were wealthy.

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Anyone remember that Office episode Scott's tots?  Michael</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> promised a classroom of underprivileged elementary students that if they made it through high school he would fund their college tuition.  He genuinely thought he would become rich in the 10years it would take.  He didn't.  All he had to offer were laptop batteries, just the spare batteries. Episode was sad but hilarious.</span>

LMAO yes I loved it and was sad too. He's such an ass

Eta: oops, on my phone. Idk what happened
Anyway, I'm happy about Sandra doing this

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:42pm
wow she really took her role in that movie she played of helping that young black man and it seems like she put it to real life here...

i always liked her...ClapThumbs Up  thanks Sandra bullock...

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 8:48pm
I like Sandra I hope she doesn't turn out to be a closeted racist. With that being said yay for the kids.

Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 9:10pm

this video is so on point but he was wrong on Oprah's part of her not helping the children in chicago...she did try to help them, if i can remember correctly of how it happened it happened like this....i think she questioned the school kids of if you were given $$$ to help you how would you spend it and all of their answers were spending it on materialistic stuff, shoes, cellphones, clothes etc...not one person mentioned books, computers, laptops, or any educational items..

so she decided to build the school in Africa where she Knows education is a precious jewel to the children there who want to learn instead of worrying about materialistic stuff in life....Education to the African child is more precious than buying her/him a designer outfit..

but i do love the video and its information....thanks for posting it

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 10:44pm

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 11:10pm
That's a lot of wefts.

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Jun 02 2014 at 11:21pm

There are a lot of black celebs that have foundations and such to give themselves money. Since jay z had his how many pl has he put through college?

I'm talking celebs that get involved for a short while and ten forget about the cause or ppl? And I mean A list.

I know wayne and baby do a lot for NO to. What black celebs besides O, have long term projects going on to help the community? Dos tyra sti have the camp?
He has a scholarship.

Posted By: thickblkbarbie
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:39am
A very nice of her

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 1:08am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

That's a lot of wefts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>LOL

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 8:26am
Love her

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 8:27am

A beautiful woman inside and out . Heart I think the girls hairstyles look great .

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 8:33am
by my estimation...i see half the young ladies with wefts and half without...

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 11:30am
I mean... her choice to do Blindside told me everything I need to know about her

Sandra is a typical blind-to-reality-and-context, "good White person"
Very interested in pushing the idea that White people are essentially good... not so much interested in the actual dignity and agency of Black people

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:09pm
I think sandra is sincere after following her career for years . She adopted 2 black children . Reminds me of President Clinton with her actions to help our community over the years . I can't dislike every white person on earth .
World Exclusive: Meet Sandra Bullocks Baby Boy!

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:12pm

That's wonderful. I met her a few years ago and she's a very sweet person.

But I don't appreciate that Sandra is the only person looking at the camera. They should have chosen a faux candid of her talking to the graduates or one of them all smiling together. Hmmmm.

I take no issue with her doing this (how could I, really), but it does have that tinge.

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

I think sandra is sincere after following her career for years . She adopted 2 black children . Reminds me of President Clinton with her actions to help our community over the years . I can't dislike every white person on earth .
World Exclusive: Meet Sandra Bullocks Baby Boy!

I agree. Look at his little side-eye LOL

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:13pm
The cover had me like...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&docid=5S6sHsV0yZ5E2M&tbnid=t4SFKlN5Km1KuM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgifsoup.com%2Fview%2F143303%2Fqaadir.html&ei=_QGOU-iENMvooASPl4KYDw&bvm=bv.68235269,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNG7NqnzpMq_Yqrl2QjmdV6Dvmu_Kg&ust=1401901943137665" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:16pm
*cough remembers what Bill Clinton said about Obama cough*

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:18pm
Because she's a White woman LOL

She entirely embraces her role as the nation's "sweetheart", poor innocent White woman who was cheated on and is essentially good because she adopted a Negro child.... an AMERICAN Negro at that! LOL

Y'all fall for the narrative everytime lol

Originally posted by Fraiche2Death Fraiche2Death wrote:

He's so effin cute! Why did she do the cover at all though...for what? LOL

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:23pm
Stop Alias lol ^^^ Beatrice i agree .

Why did she decide to adopt an African-American baby?
Sandra only refers to Louis' race indirectly in People saying:

I want him to know no limits on where he can go. I want him to experience all culture, nationalities, countries and people like I did. I want his mind to be open and free. We were raised that we are all the same. No one greater, smarter, more powerful. We are all equal. I would love for Louis to know that . He has a big, beautiful, diverse family. As long as he know he is loved and protected and given the opportunity to touch and see everything, then I will have done my job as a mama.

3) But did Sandra know about the Nazi stuff?
According to her, no. She tells People:

The photo shocked me and made me sad. This is not the man I married. This was stupid, this was ignorant. racism, anti-Semitism, sexism, homophobia, anything Nazi and a boatload of other things have no place in my life. And the man I married felt the same. This I hope Jesse will address one day, but that is not the world I live in or have ever lived in and have any tolerance for.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:26pm
So you just goin' to make this easy for me, huh? LOL

3) But did Sandra know about the Nazi stuff?
According to her, no. She tells People:

The photo shocked me and made me sad. This is not the man I married. This was stupid, this was ignorant. racism, anti-Semitism, sexism, homophobia, anything Nazi and a boatload of other things have no place in my life. And the man I married felt the same. This I hope Jesse will address one day, but that is not the world I live in or have ever lived in and have any tolerance for.

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:50pm
Alias you need to join the say something nice challenge . I am not going to post anything else about the lady . You ready to act up today lol , but i still luv you . Embarrassed

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 12:57pm

remember when people wanted him to boycott Barneys.
the money for that clothing line went to scholarships or something like that

Date Posted: Jun 03 2014 at 1:07pm
LOLHeart

Alias you need to join the say something nice challenge . I am not going to post anything else about the lady . You ready to act up today lol , but i still luv you . Embarrassed

Print Page | Close Window