Print Page | Close Window

HELP: Renting an apt in NY

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370846
Printed Date: Nov 23 2017 at 8:07pm

Topic: HELP: Renting an apt in NY
Posted By: QueenBee
Subject: HELP: Renting an apt in NY
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 11:28am
My sister is moving from Texas to NY in a few weeks. STRESS! STRESS! STRESS! Her job is located in the about 5 blocks from the Wallstreet bull. She is currently in NY for the week searching for an apartment.

She needs some insight the living areas. We have been googling fools doing research, contacting brokers/agents, ect and I just want a few opinions. Her rental allowance is $1800/monthly and she has a pet cat.

She was thinking the Upper Manhattan, Harlem, Washington Height area.

She looked at an apartment in Sunset Park.

Anyone have someone in the apartment showing business, if so PM me their name and number and she can contact them.

Replies:
Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 11:49am
When i moved up there..i had a agent..I paid them the same amount as first months rent. 

Although it was expensive considering apartment realtors out here in Texas are free.... it was worth it because I wasn't randomly looking by myself. 

If she works near the WallStreet Bull...would she consider living in Jersey City? I lived near the Groove St Path station right across from the bridge....my rent was $1300 for a 1 bedroom. But i totally understand if she wants to IN New York. 

oh and...that cat is might have to go. That's an added expense to her rent and with only $1800...the space might not be there for her and a cat. 

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 11:55am
$1800 a month? Dead

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

$1800 a month? Dead

Im sayin

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 1:32pm
Bump

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 1:55pm
Hmmmm.......Unless you have some roommates lined up, $1800 in Manhattan might not cut it.  You also have to be careful when choosing a Realtor/Broker because they will take you to the bank and back around 3 times.  Try Craigslist for an apt. search if you're not too pressed for time to cut out the middle man.  You can save yourself some money that way.  Good Luck.

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 2:23pm
Good-- Do you remember the name of the broker/agent that you worked with? If so, can you forward via PM their information.

STRESS! STRESS! STRESS!    She's calling me all day. I think she's panic because it's short notice. Found a few places in Brooklyn that are new renovated, new appliances, and under her budgets but NO PETS. I am trying to tell her to leave the cat with us but she complains "it's her baby". (insert rolled eyes)

I've told her to try Jersey but she doesn't want to be double taxed. Living in Jersey, work in New York.

NuAttitude-- The apt was in Manhattan it was upper west harlem/Washington heights. Of course, these differences make no sense to me. As I am not sure how far, West Harlem is from her job vs. Brooklyn? It would appear it'd be the same distance roughly 30 minutes but she's convinced that Brooklyn is closer than Upper West Harlem via subway.

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 2:45pm
Hey Queen----
That might be true (Brooklyn being closer) depends on where in Brooklyn. If it's just over the Brooklyn bridge, then yea but sheeiiiiit.  Last time I checked those rents were through the roof due to location.  If she doesn't mind commuting, upper west Harlem is only one train ride #2 or #3 to Wall Street.  Might take 30 mins give or take. 

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

Good-- Do you remember the name of the broker/agent that you worked with? If so, can you forward via PM their information.

STRESS! STRESS! STRESS!    She's calling me all day. I think she's panic because it's short notice. Found a few places in Brooklyn that are new renovated, new appliances, and under her budgets but NO PETS. I am trying to tell her to leave the cat with us but she complains "it's her baby". (insert rolled eyes)

I've told her to try Jersey but she doesn't want to be double taxed. Living in Jersey, work in New York.

NuAttitude-- The apt was in Manhattan it was upper west harlem/Washington heights. Of course, these differences make no sense to me. As I am not sure how far, West Harlem is from her job vs. Brooklyn? It would appear it'd be the same distance roughly 30 minutes but she's convinced that Brooklyn is closer than Upper West Harlem via subway.

I'll contact my friends who live up there and get some names of realtors from them...

but for that cat - she is moving to NYC ! there is too much to see and do and flirt with...to be cuddled up in a tiny apartment with a cat. 

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 3:12pm
Sucks they double tax in nyc. I've lived and worked in two adjacent states on several occasions. It all gets credited to the right state when I file.

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 4:11pm

$1800 a month? Dead
Right!  I couldn't imagine that rent gatdam!  That's like three of where i live.  Good luck to your sister OP

Posted By: Qualified
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 4:23pm
For 1800 she needs to head over to BK. She wont be able to live how she wants to live in the city for that. She can however, find a nice studio or 1 bdrm in Prospect Heights, nice parts of Crown Heights, Boreum Hill, certain parts of Park Slope, and Bedstuy close to the A and c. She'll be able to get the amenities she wants for that price and she'll be able to get to work without any serious commuting issues. Try craigslist and stick to no fees.

Broker fees can be anywhere from 12%-18% of the yearly rent, which works out to a months rent or more. My first apt I ended up coming up with 11k to move in- standard (first, last, security plus fee). I learned my lesson after that. Stuck to craigslist, stayed away from brokers, and always got a building where the landlord was renting the property themselves. That way they only ask for first and security. Best of luck .

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 4:29pm
so NYC must be a lot more expensive than LA

i always thought they were kinda close...

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 4:37pm
if she needs to move quickly, and then shop around for a place properly after she is in NYC and starts working, she can look at this place in Jersey City NJ. My friend lived there and it is next to the PATH train station (Grove St Station) that takes you to Lower Manhattan: http://www.grovepointerentals.com/" rel="nofollow - http://www.grovepointerentals.com/

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 4:56pm

$1800 a month? Dead

I thought you lived in Cali. Isn't it expensive out there?

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 5:40pm
She could rent a room in a house and later look for an apartment without rushing.
My sister used to pay about $800 a month to rent a room in Jersey. Now she lives in Manhattan, not too far from Central Park, and she pays about 2k for an one bedroom - but it is temporary.
The places that she has been looking want people to earn 40x a year on what their rent cost.
$1800 might get your sister a place in Harlem.

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 5:44pm
I hope she can find a place where she can keep her cat.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

so NYC must be a lot more expensive than LA

i always thought they were kinda close...

depends on where you're at in LA...just like how people say NYC but they really mean somewhere out in bumfck, Queens that's far less than Manhattan.  

Posted By: KittenWhip
Date Posted: May 24 2014 at 10:53pm
Most NY landlords don't mind cats; it's dogs that are a problem.

She can try NJ (never heard about the double tax issue, but I've never lived in NJ) or she can try Queens.  Astoria has become "the new Manhattan" and as a result is almost as expensive as Manhattan.  Manhattan brokers charge a percentage of the annual rent; the other 4 boroughs usually have a fee of one month's rent.

If she's interested in Queens, you can PM me and I can recommend my broker.  I just found a new apartment (upstairs neighbors sound like Godzilla stomping Tokyo and YES, I told them so... ratched YTs) and am moving in a few weeks.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 5:18am

$1800 a month? Dead
yeah that's way too much for a one bedShocked

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Missvw Missvw wrote:

$1800 a month? Dead

or a studio apt.

Posted By: OhMyCurlz
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 12:38pm
For $1,800 you can rent a nice size house in a nice part of town, or live in a luxury 3 bedroom apartment and still have enough for utilities. 

I can't IMAGINE paying that much for a 1 bedroom or studio apt. 

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 2:18pm
Astoria, Park Slope, Prospect Heights or Harlem. 

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 7:34pm
Bronx, Harlem, tribeca, and lower manhattan for $1800. You wont get much space but that is the average going rate right now. I still have my 1 bedroom in the bronx and i'm paying $680. Been paying that for 10 years. Landlord wants to kick me out and rent the place for $2000 but I ain't budging. Everything is a train ride away. Downtown Brooklyn will be a short commute to wall street. But it ain't gonna be cheap. Harlem has totally changed from what it use to be and I'm liking it. 

The whole mortgage of my house 4500 sqt 3 levels is still cheaper than the rent for my 1 bedroom in NY.

Its quite stressful but I would tell your sis to rent a room so she can take her time to find a place. Landlords can make places look all dolled up until you move in and then the nightmares begin. 

Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Missvw Missvw wrote:

$1800 a month? Dead

LOL

Date Posted: May 25 2014 at 8:02pm
aint no way...the only 1800$ i would spend a month is for a mortgage...
folks gettin ripped off..

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 12:18am
Does she have to live in the actual city? I would also suggest she try the bronx maybe parkchester,or live in Westchester or Rockland and commute This is the real reason I left ny nowhere to LIVE

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 8:10am

<b style="line-height: 1.4;">folks gettin ripped off..

That's way too high for a mortgage too

Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 9:06am
You live in expensive ass VA though right?

Even for nice places in Charleston SC that's high and most here think Charleston is super expensive

Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 9:15am
My cousin lives in VA and pays about 1500 in rent.
She loves it there.
She tries to get me to move and I will just not that far "North"

Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

<b style="line-height: 1.4;">folks gettin ripped off..

That's way too high for a mortgage too

1800$ sounds like a nice house in a nice location...

i dont think its too much...

Date Posted: May 26 2014 at 1:20pm
$1000 for a studio makes me wanna weepDisapprove

the only way i consider that is if i were in cali...its worth it out there...weather is nice, people are friendly, the beaches are everything...

other than that no way...

whats so great about living in the northeast? im not a fan of cold, harsh weather...
and i heard the meanest, nastiest people come from the northeast...i believe it..

Print Page | Close Window