Print Page | Close Window

Drug testing is a benefit for black people

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370812
Printed Date: Jan 23 2018 at 6:30pm

Topic: Drug testing is a benefit for black people
Posted By: iliveforbhm
Subject: Drug testing is a benefit for black people
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:51am
Today, almost half of all US jobs require a drug test, and it turns out that companies that test their employees hire more black people. But that’s not a result that reflects well on Americans.

Abigail Wozniak, a Notre Dame labor economist, has developed a model to show how the rise of employee drug testing in the United States has affected different populations. What she found surprised her: In states where testing is prevalent thanks to supportive laws, black employment increased between 7% and 30%, and wages for black workers increased by between 1.4% and 13%.

That’s surprising because in America’s often-misguided war on drugs, black people tend to suffer disproportionately—just look at the statistics on arrests and the controversy over “stop and frisk” policing tactics. There’s plenty of evidence that black and white Americans use illicit drugs at roughly the same rate, though white Americans are more likely than black Americans to abuse alcohol:

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

But despite that, according to studies cited in the paper, there’s wide overestimation of black people’s drug use in the US by everyone from police to hiring managers to young black people themselves.

+

And that’s why Wozniak thinks drug testing increased black employment: Without the testing, employers went by their gut biases. But when testing became common and showed that black applicants were not actually using drugs, hiring rates for black applicants went up. Wozniak concludes that this is evidence of discrimination against black workers before testing, driven by some combination of racialized belief and ignorance. One other interesting finding from the study is that absent drug testing, employers tend to hire white women instead of black men.

+

Opinion polls Wozniak notes show increasing approval of employee drug testing among black people and unskilled workers, and growing disapproval of testing among older and more educated workers, which she said indicates that the people who benefit from such policies understand that, on some level.

This research is only a “first look” at these relationships, and Wozniak says more work needs to be done to understand labor market discrimination and how to fix it. She’ll be grappling with that problem soon enough—next month, she starts a term as a senior labor economist on the White House Council of Economic Advisers.

Replies:
Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:18am
Pass the "test".....get a job.

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:28am
So pointless....

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:30am
Gtfoh

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:38am
If you're gonna test, test everybody.... then watch the million dollars a year hedge fund managers squirm cos they know they cant drop their cocaine habits....
There's more drugs on wall street / city of london than anywhere else...

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:38am
What are you madabout afro? Whites areprovene to do more drugs percentage wise than black people

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:40am
So no one read? I guess the saying gos if you dont want black people to know something put it in a book.

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:05am
I read it.
I'm saying drug testing is mostly pointless.

Plus the whole thing made me uneasy like we have to be good negros and prove to these good yt folk that we aren't all druggies by default.

I don't like it

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:47am
That goes without saying though.
No one should be drunk or high at work.

Of course I wouldn't want to fly with a drunken pilot but that's entirely different from this issue

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:47am

I get tested for my job, and it can be random. I work with multiple races, and we get tested equally.

If you're in a high risk job it's necessary. Can't have anyone high or drunk doing my job.

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:48am
That goes without saying though.
No one should be drunk or high at work.

Of course I wouldn't want to fly with a drunken pilot but that's entirely different from this issue

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 11:48am
Hush Samone.

And Jones i didnt get that from this article whats it doing using logical analysis to destroy the racial propaganda. Its dad but at the end of the day numbers matter more and if they cant see it then they are fools.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 12:49pm
I mean... white people do just as much drugs as blacks..but if they say so..

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:18pm
No they conclude whites do more drugs than black people. And blacks do significantly less and it actually is what is keeping us employed.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:25pm
I wouldn't be surprised...
YT people party hard...I've heard too many stories

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:44pm
The only people surprised by this are racists who believe that black people aren't employed at the same rate based on merit. Something a simple as a drug test or changing a name on a resume to something less ethnic reveals the truth.

I used to work at one place where if a college degree was a requirement for the position everyone who would be disqualified were white.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

If you're gonna test, test everybody.... then watch the million dollars a year hedge fund managers squirm cos they know they cant drop their cocaine habits....
There's more drugs on wall street / city of london than anywhere else...

THIS.

Why the fuck is biased testing a benefit???

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:22pm
U can pass a drug test whilst doing drugs

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:33pm
It's just hilarious how whites think we are all drug addicts and finding out their top white picks are the main ones doing drugs.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 6:07pm
No it doesn't. If we're being tested at disproportionately higher rates, where is the dismantling? We're still being targeted. Stern Smile

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 6:42pm
Thank you Samone! If people would just read a tiny bit, they would realized that black people do a lot less drugs than whites. 

P.S. Now that I thought about it, white women do a lot of drugs. I know mixed folks mothers on any level of wealth do some type of drug except one and I know a lot. That's probably why all these white kids going crazy out of the blue. The drugs taking affect now.

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

It's just hilarious how whites think we are all drug addicts and finding out their top white picks are the main ones doing drugs.

the tide is turning fam. crystal meth is the new cracc.

but tbh, i think most people know whites do waaaay more drugs than blaccs. i've partied with some of my white co workers and cocaine is the norm, imho.. they're pretty nonchalant with their cocaine use, tbh..

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

the tide is turning fam. crystal meth is the new cracc.

but tbh, i think most people know whites do waaaay more drugs than blaccs. i've partied with some of my white co workers and cocaine is the norm, imho.. they're pretty nonchalant with their cocaine use, tbh..

Sure is. Society is not set in stone, everything changes when the winds come blowing.

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:09pm

So no one read? I guess the saying gos if you dont want black people to know something put it in a book.

CryCryCry

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:10pm
nice topic op...

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:16pm
Thank you mommykat!!!

Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:18pm

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:43pm
I read it, and I am really happy about it. Without testing, people WOULD go with the stereotyped ideas they have been raised with, and believe that the black person was a drug user. The testing proves them wrong and gives blacks employment.

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 5:58am
Yup it was used to verify that we were!the biggest abusers of drugs but rhey now know we are not.

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:08am
It's annoyed we have to be "verified" non drug users.
We can't get jobs unless we have our papers.

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:16am
It suck but we live in a racist nation that believes all of its ills are part of culture.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:18am
New blackdom

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 6:25am
I had to have a long talk with my little cousins and neighborhood kids about that ish this weekend.

Some of them think it is.

OT:One of the kids in the neighborhood was telling me about prom and how he brought a white girl. He was so proud. I had to lay into him.
WTH wrong with these kids? Where this white chick even come from??!! None go to my old high school.

Negros skipping towns to pick up white women now.

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 7:43am
Lol I know I can't stop the swirl SL but the way he was talking was talking about that white girl was disgusting.

Date Posted: May 20 2014 at 7:54am
White women are simply protecting their gene pool by pocreating with black men creating a new mulatto class that will rule in the stead of the dsappearing white gene. Negros see pucci and go insane

Print Page | Close Window