Print Page | Close Window

do you want paid menstrual leave??

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370765
Printed Date: Sep 26 2017 at 1:52pm

Topic: do you want paid menstrual leave??
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Subject: do you want paid menstrual leave??
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:36pm

Should Paid 'Menstrual Leave' Be a Thing?

Some countries mandate a legal right to leave for women during their periods. Is that reverse sexism or the right thing to do?
Emily Matchar

rbmay/flickr

For most American women beyond the age of high school gym class, “I’ve got my period” isn’t considered much of an excuse for anything. We’re meant to pop an Advil and get on with things, Red Devil be damned. But in several, mostly East Asian, countries, so-called “menstrual leave” is a legally enshrined right for female workers.

However, as these countries attempt to move toward greater gender equality in the workplace, menstrual leave has come under debate. Do these policies simply further the notion that women are weak, hormonally-addled creatures controlled by their uteri? Or do they encourage more equality by accommodating female workers’ biological demands, much as maternity leave does?

The issue turns out to be surprisingly complicated, with complex historical roots and supporters on both sides of the liberal-conservative divide.

Japan has had menstrual leave since just after World War II. According to the 1947 Labor Standards Law, any women suffering from painful periods or whose job might exacerbate period pain are allowed seirikyuuka (literally “physiological leave”). At the time the law was written, women were entering the workforce in record numbers, and workplaces like factories, mines and bus stations had little by way of sanitary facilities.

The new law,  http://www.amazon.com/Culture-Society-Menstruation-International-Publication/dp/0891165576" rel="nofollow - writes researcher Alice J. Dan , was “a symbol for women’s emancipation. It represented their ability to speak openly about their bodies, and to gain social recognition for their role as workers.”

The number of women actually taking their menstrual leave has plummeted over the latter half of the 20th century, but female workers have been reluctant to give it up entirely.

Taiwan’s current menstrual leave legislation is much newer. The 2013 http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2013/11/27/394603/Gender-equality.htm" rel="nofollow - amendment to the country’s Act of Gender Equality in Employment  guarantees female workers three days of menstrual leave a year, in addition to the 30 days of half-paid sick leave allotted to all workers. The act originally folded menstrual leave into the regular 30 days of sick leave, prompting a gender-diverse coalition of politicians to claim this was a violation of women’s basic rights. (Imagine, say, Barbara Boxer and Mitch McConnell banding together to support a woman’s right to period days.)

Indonesian women are entitled to take two days a month of menstrual leave, though many companies simply ignore the law, and others have even been accused of  https://crawford.anu.edu.au/pdf/staff/rmap/lahiridutt/JA3_KLD_Robinson_Period_Problems.pdf" rel="nofollow - forcing women to drop trou and “prove” their need for time off . This month,  http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/president-declares-respect-workers-amid-wage-hike-calls/" rel="nofollow - a delegation of female workers  pressed presidential candidates about workplace discrimination, including menstrual leave abuses.

South Korean workers were granted menstrual leave in 2001, though an experiment in extending the policy to female university students was  http://evoice.ewha.ac.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=1776" rel="nofollow - deemed a failure  (“faculty members decided that the policy was being abused as an excuse for absence”). The  http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2014/04/399_123535.html" rel="nofollow - policy has lately come under fire  from Korean “men’s rights activists,” who, despite Korea’s heavily male-dominated work culture, see it as a form of reverse discrimination.

These Asian menstrual leave policies appear to be based on the scientifically dubious notion that women who don’t rest during their menses will have difficulty in childbirth later. Some say the laws are therefore more about treating women as future baby-vessels than valued employees.

Then there’s Russia.

Last year, a  http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/russian-lawmaker-proposes-paid-days-menstruating-women-495918" rel="nofollow - Russian lawmaker proposed a draft law  that would give female workers two days off a month.  His reasoning:

During that period (of menstruation), most women experience psychological and physiological discomfort. The pain for the fair sex is often so intense that it is necessary to call an ambulance … Strong pain induces heightened fatigue, reduces memory and work-competence and leads to colorful expressions of emotional discomfort.

Unsurprisingly, the bill was condemned by Russian feminists and, politically speaking, went nowhere.

But even in countries with well-intentioned menstrual leave policies, many women don’t feel comfortable taking it. They’re understandably embarrassed to tell their superiors they have their period, and they worry they’ll be viewed as weak for taking time off.

The fact is, menstruation is not debilitating for most women. But for up to 20 percent of women, period pain  http://www.aafp.org/afp/2012/0215/p386.html" rel="nofollow - interferes with daily activities  just as surely as a nasty cold or flu. Ample paid sick leave would seem to take care of the problem just as well without forcing women to share their lunar cycles with their bosses. It’s no coincidence that several of the countries with menstrual leave also have lackluster sick leave policies— http://raisingtheglobalfloor.org/policies/policy-selection.php?policy=health" rel="nofollow - neither Japan nor Korea  mandate paid sick leave for non-serious illness.

But then again, neither does the United States. Perhaps we should start agitating for the Boxer-McConnell American Menstrual Leave Act after all?

Replies:
Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:40pm
yea ive heard about this in other countries...

would be kinda nice if it happened hereLOLStern Smile

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:42pm
i need it for my first day...my first day is VERY bad.  i'd rather just lay in bed all day than have to pump myself full of pills.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:42pm
Yassss.

About 2 days a month would work. I wouldn't always need it each month but those days where I want to stab someone repeatedly with a spoon for looking at me wrong or cry over the smallest thing all within a few minutes...I need some personal time.LOL

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:43pm
I not then we should be paid more to stay on the job while on our periods. If men bled for five continuous days from their penises there's no way they WOULDN'T have paid leave.

Posted By: maysay1
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:45pm
I want better paid leave policies in general.

And for many women, they aren't completely incapacitated by their period, but would certainly benefit from some flexibility like the ability to work from home or easily adjust their hours in the office.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:45pm
My cycle lasts a full week and it is hell on earth.  I wish.

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:47pm
I dont need it, but I know some women do - maybe it should be available for them

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:48pm
I think I'd be for this.

My BOYfriend  has always told us that feminine products (pads/tampons, cups, etc) should be free.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:48pm
This is ridiculous. Just reinforces the idea that women aren't worth shyt on their periods. I had a guy that refused to argue with me because I was on my period. As if because of that I couldn't be rational and was automatically tripping.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:49pm
yea i think 2 days is fair too...

my first day is like Censored
second dayPinchErmm
third dayThumbs Up

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:50pm
Sure why not LOL

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

And for many women, they aren't completely incapacitated by their period, but would certainly benefit from some flexibility like the ability to work from home or easily adjust their hours in the office.

yes I like liberal sick leave policies. You need it, take it . Even if it's a mental sick day. I've been fortunate to have always worked places where that's how it was.

Posted By: EPITOME

yeah that would work. 

just the messiness and fatigue.....but i did have a friend whose cycle was awful...she'd be vomiting and her flow is so heavy too.

not that anyone is illogical but the amount of pain killers i pop...smdh

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

My cycle lasts a full week and it is hell on earth.  I wish.
If you're not opposed to it, have you tried hormonal bc to cut your periods shorter?

I swear this is PMS in a nutshell some cyclesLOL:

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

This is ridiculous. Just reinforces the idea that women aren't worth shyt on their periods. I had a guy that refused to argue with me because I was on my period. As if because of that I couldn't be rational and was automatically tripping.

how?

Posted By: Meme0887
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:52pm
Eh..I'd take it

Even though I have no problems with mine. It's just really heavy the first day.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

I think I'd be for this.

My BOYfriend  has always told us that feminine products (pads/tampons, cups, etc) should be free.

Well reusable cloth pads are virtually free if you make them yourself.

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:53pm
Yes

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:53pm
the first day is always the worst, but it's become more and more manageable as i've gotten older

as a pre teen i wouldn't go to school for the first day...the pain was unbearable

i dont see anything wrong with this, just one day a month might help a lot of women

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

how?

It seems pretty obvious. If you're at home (and not working from home) then you aren't working. If period = sick then you can't work as many days per month so you're not as efficient. Why would someone want to hire you if they have to pay you for days you automatically won't be working? They'd do better hiring a man for the job.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

yeah that would work. 

just the messiness and fatigue.....but i did have a friend whose cycle was awful...she'd be vomiting and her flow is so heavy too.

not that anyone is illogical but the amount of pain killers i pop...smdh

I think the symptoms vary so much that flexibility is necessary.

Me, I can't use public restrooms. So period plus diarrhea or vomiting means I can't go in. But I could still work from home.

Some people shouldn't be driving or trying to do their job with the amount of pain killers it takes them to be able to barely function.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:56pm
Never had a problem with it.

Employers in this country may refer to it as 'Sick Days', which is already about 20 days/yr   

There is the potential for abuse of this time off.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:56pm
This is why we.....nvm....
We absolutely do not need this. 

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:58pm

how?

It seems pretty obvious. If you're at home (and not working from home) then you aren't working. If period = sick then you can't work as many days per month so you're not as efficient. Why would someone want to hire you if they have to pay you for days you automatically won't be working? They'd do better hiring a man for the job.

oh..ok

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:58pm

how?

you're right...for an employer, they don't care, they'd rather hire a man...but then again, they may be paying us less for the same work anyway so really, it all balances out.  

it was compared to the flu or cold...how is it any different if it's really debilitating?  i don't think it should be automatically given bc a lot of ppl would take advantage of it, but the ppl that need it should get it.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 5:59pm

how?

And that's why sick leave policies should be better for all workers.

Doesn't matter what you use the sick time for, you should have it. That cuts down on discrimination across the board.

*In my best brit accent* This thread has bloody potential.Evil Smile

I wonder if you're diagnosed with PMDD would they allow those women to take leave?

Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

Never had a problem with it.

Employers in this country may refer to it as 'Sick Days', which is already about 20 days/yr   

There is the potential for abuse of this time off.

I'm LOL thinking about that show Bad Teacher . 

When she comes in late for millionth time ...walks past him and says: "female problems." And he says 'poor thing. 3rd time this month' Or something like that. LOL

I love DA Grier in anything.

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:01pm
Mine aren't usually bad. The only time mine are rough is if it is ever late by a couple of days and that first day is always painful and heavier than normal after being late.

I would gladly take the leave if offered because although my periods aren't bad, my tolerance for people and most things the first couple of days is basically in the negative. I really should be home in my bed in complete isolation.

I know women who bleed through their clothes and have it running down their legs and vomit from the pain due to endometriosis monthly so they could really use this leave if it was ever offered. My sister was one of these people when she was a pre-teen.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:03pm
*Sh*t stirrer post* This is why women don't deserve the same pay as yt men.Evil Smile

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:03pm
This makes me think back to school and how some girls would lie to the male teacher about "female issues" so they can leave the class and hang out in the hall talking to me or some other nicca.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Marcelo22 Marcelo22 wrote:

This makes me think back to school and how some girls would lie to the male teacher about "female issues" so they can leave the class and hang out in the hall talking to me or some other nicca.
LOL

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

you're right...for an employer, they don't care, they'd rather hire a man...but then again, they may be paying us less for the same work anyway so really, it all balances out.  

it was compared to the flu or cold...how is it any different if it's really debilitating?  i don't think it should be automatically given bc a lot of ppl would take advantage of it, but the ppl that need it should get it.

But it would have to be automatically given for it to work. Because the moment someone is put in charge to determine who "needs" it, the floodgates for discrimination open right up. At this point, you barely have the medical field recognizing that women with endometriosis should have the ability to decide if they want a hysterectomy, regardless of the debilitating problems it causes them.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:07pm

But it would have to be automatically given for it to work. Because the moment someone is put in charge to determine who "needs" it, the floodgates for discrimination open right up. At this point, you barely have the medical field recognizing that women with endometriosis should have the ability to decide if they want a hysterectomy, regardless of the debilitating problems it causes them.

i don't see it ever happening as an automatic thing though...if it can't be determined through a healthcare provider then i don't see a fair way to do it...a small business can't just give every female on staff paid days off every month.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:08pm

That means that all women would be subject to discrimination because of it. If one woman has a health problem she should personally put in for time off and not make it seem like periods themselves are an illness.

But then again I think you said women and men should have the same number of sick days right?

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

*Sh*t stirrer post* This is why women don't deserve the same pay as yt men.Evil Smile
smh. lmao

Evil Smile

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:13pm

That means that all women would be subject to discrimination because of it. If one woman has a health problem she should personally put in for time off and not make it seem like periods themselves are an illness.

But then again I think you said women and men should have the same number of sick days right?

Yeah I think all workers should be entitled to the same number of sick days and access to medical leave and disability should they suffer from something more serious.

That way you avoid discrimination all around. If the only way to make it fair is for everyone to have like 40 sick days a year, then that's fine with me.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:17pm
Maybe working at home instead of getting paid leave is better?

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:26pm
I bet there'd be transwomen who would be up in arms about discrimination if they didn't also get paid menstrual leave. I can just see the articles on xojane now.

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:30pm
No thanks.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 6:34pm
Nah it's not that serious. Even though I hate my period I ain't tryna miss work because of it. I'd rather just suck it up.

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 7:46pm
Phuck yeah...It would be nice to have for the first 2 days cuz my shyt like a crime scene...but i usually opt to work from home if its too bad since i am severly anemic and get dizzy alot the first 2 days.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 7:56pm
do i get a bonus if i still show up

mine aren't that bad

Posted By: jayjaynonie
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:18pm
Two days off would be wonderful. My first day is horrendous, practically unbearable. (not just because of cramps . My situation is on another levelDead).

After day 2 it's usually gets better. So, they have the right idea. That's not to say that all women will need to take this time off. However it should be an option for women who have an exceptionally hard cycle. They could possibly even require documentation from a doctor.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:22pm
Sick leave is fine.  We can't even convince employers that people need that.  Ermm

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by JasmineE02 JasmineE02 wrote:

Sick leave is fine.  We can't even convince employers that people need that.  Ermm
pretty much...

Posted By: NadiaPost
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:30pm
My period isn't that bad to warrant sick leave. The three days I have it is fine. I do get emotional a week prior to it arriving. It's like everything bothers me even little things like men who wear bright orange skinny jeans.

Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:31pm
I think if I didn't have a bad period or a period at all, I'd donate my period leave to other women in my office.

Posted By: JasmineE02
Date Posted: May 16 2014 at 8:31pm
Maybe 2 or 3 times a year, my first period day will make me nauseated.  I can't get down with vomiting at work. 

Print Page | Close Window