Print Page | Close Window

can you pull of High-end?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370550
Printed Date: Aug 19 2018 at 10:30pm

Topic: can you pull of High-end?
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: can you pull of High-end?
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:18pm
how to look high-end, I have a new job in luxury apparel. I realize not everyone who sells in this arena looks sophisticated, but I want to
IYO what looks high-end, to you? and do you think you can accomplish a believable look?

Replies:
Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:22pm
an easy way to look high end is to stick to monochromatic looks---not like orange--but black, blush, cream. please also visit SmartSamone1's thread about natural makeup. Don't have raggedy nails. A simple clean hairstyle--please also see my post in that thread of that makeup African girl--it's on the first page. Nothing uber flashy...sales associates are usually in black with one or two items from the brand.  Do you get a stipend from them?

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:22pm
Yes go to marshalls or ross. You'll be fine.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:24pm
Keep it simple and classic.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

an easy way to look high end is to stick to monochromatic looks---not like orange--but black, blush, cream. please also visit SmartSamone1's thread about natural makeup. Don't have raggedy nails. A simple clean hairstyle--please also see my post in that thread of that makeup African girl--it's on the first page. Nothing uber flashy...sales associates are usually in black with one or two items from the brand.  Do you get a stipend from them?

This

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:50pm

i like the look  IF i were still working for Paul Harris Clothing store downtown Dallas, Texas i'd put this in my rotationWink

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 7:53pm
"Don't have raggedy nails."

This...

Nice thread OP...

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Bonjour baby ooowee Bonjour baby ooowee wrote:

i like the look  IF i were still working for Paul Harris Clothing store downtown Dallas, Texas i'd put this in my rotationWink

This is a sharp suit. I like it!!! Will you be on your feet all day? Or are you like a merchandiser or buyer? I don't know about heels all day.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

This

What position?

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:09pm
Everything Pitty said. Don't be afraid to get wardrobe sets (pant, jacket, skirt, sheath/ black, navy, darker greys) and have them tailored or by them well fitted pieces at a time. The sharper and simpler/cleaner/more classic the line, the better.

Also, I like a simple string of pearls (choker 16"/ princess 18". But bhm tells me I'm old fashioned and no.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Everything Pitty said. Don't be afraid to get wardrobe sets (pant, jacket, skirt, sheath/ black, navy, darker greys) and have them tailored or by them well fitted pieces at a time. The sharper and simpler/cleaner/more classic the line, the better.

Also, I like a simple string of pearls (choker 16"/ princess 18". But bhm tells me I'm old fashioned and no.

i was gonna suggest pearls but didn't want to seem too traditionalLOL and that's also why i didn't suggest sets

a nice pair of studs--you can work "diamond."

and when you want to be flashy--a lovely scarf to bring some color 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:21pm
Heels are ok but I will always have my flat shoes in the car when I need to get around...
any suggestions on suit brands are great! My idea is to create clean, expensive look for myself, maybe you guys can suggest some "suit" brands that have worked for you, I must say I am more of the alluring,/creative style aesthetic- my customer will be more classic,traditional- SO I need to find a balance sort of like a fancy uniform

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:33pm
*You are expected to absorb the corporate culture, so emulate the style of the team that you work with.

*Belt everything when possible.

*Learn to tie scarves smartly.

*You're from NYC, so you know to wear black when in doubt.

*Everything must be altered/tailored to fit. Learn the correct break for your pants.

Good luck with the new job!

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:37pm

i was gonna suggest pearls but didn't want to seem too traditionalLOL and that's also why i didn't suggest sets

a nice pair of studs--you can work "diamond."

and when you want to be flashy--a lovely scarf to bring some color 
Girl, you know I'm a young old maid. And I was TOTALLY going to mention a nice scarf or brooch for color.

Go away, Pitty.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:38pm
Hey NJ- how is NY? I really miss it, but not enough to come back and live yet. I was just fishing for some fresh ideas, the style here is really laid back' in fact I've seen people on JOB interviews with T-shirts and shorts can you believe that it Shocking.. lol

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Heels are ok but I will always have my flat shoes in the car when I need to get around...
any suggestions on suit brands are great! My idea is to create clean, expensive look for myself, maybe you guys can suggest some "suit" brands that have worked for you, I must say I am more of the alluring,/creative style aesthetic- my customer will be more classic,traditional- SO I need to find a balance sort of like a fancy uniform

You can be edgy with the pieces you choose.  Like you could wear a peplum top instead of a button up, interesting necklines and shoulder detail.  Think texture --so tweeds, leathers, knit, silks, seersucker, subtle patterns like herringbone, checkered,  stripes, maybe even a velvet [small doses] all w/in the same color palette to create a cohesive look. 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 8:53pm

Hey NJ- how is NY? I really miss it, but not enough to come back and live yet. I was just fishing for some fresh ideas, the style here is really laid back' in fact I've seen people on JOB interviews with T-shirts and shorts can you believe that it Shocking.. lol

I keep hearing about that here tooShockedShockedShocked My friend said that someone showed up at the NY marketing firm professional level interview with leggings with their butt out and a regular shirt. The person did not get the job.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 9:03pm

Kasper
Le suits
Calvin klein
Marc Jacobs
Dior
Steve Madden black pumps .

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 9:06pm
The other issue is I really need to learn how to separate myself from these sales transactions, I am offering a product but I am also selling myself... and What I find is YT people don't trust me? LOL not that I trust them but I want to sell as much as I can so HOW do I get over this with out loosing my cool. I feel like my competence is always being challenged...
I must make it clear that I am transitioning from a Health Care environment to Luxury sales...
As a therapist an amount of built in credibility because of the hospital I worked in - but it was there too always.... with some of the my colleagues

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I keep hearing about that here tooShockedShockedShocked My friend said that someone showed up at the NY marketing firm professional level interview with leggings with their butt out and a regular shirt. The person did not get the job.
lol that is amazing... to me I know we are in new age butt really? When are you moving? and where to?

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 9:44pm

The other issue is I really need to learn how to separate myself from these sales transactions, I am offering a product but I am also selling myself... and What I find is YT people don't trust me? LOL not that I trust them but I want to sell as much as I can so HOW do I get over this with out loosing my cool. I feel like my competence is always being challenged...
I must make it clear that I am transitioning from a Health Care environment to Luxury sales...
As a therapist an amount of built in credibility because of the hospital I worked in - but it was there too always.... with some of the my colleagues

See, you aren't selling yourself. When sales reps sell themselves, that is unnerving. Learn the product inside and out and the products will sell themselves. You are new. I dont trust new people. I refuse to be helped by new sales reps. In time, you will know the products really well and the trust from the customers will come naturally.

You are a resource for their questions about product options and the details of the item. That's it. Less is more. When a person is comfortable and not getting grilled or talked to death, they will purchase more and will come back to you as a client. If you are too chatty, they will avoid returning. Be pleasant and attentive and you'll be straight with this in time.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 10:29pm
Everyone said most of the things relating to apparel, but high-end is an "air" too.

Stand up straight. Your shoulders should be relaxed but not slouched, held back slightly. Chin should be slightly higher than you think it needs to. Practice in a mirror if you're not sure.

Make eye contact, and speak calmly. Don't fiddle or look down unnecessarily, even when you aren't helping someone.

Find a nice nude nail polish.

Matter or fact.....just go watch Scandal's first season and copy Olivia Pope (in regular meetings, not in the Oval office).

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:39am
If you already know what works for your body type and shape, get a personal shopper. Saves a boat load of time. Tell them what you're looking for and let the games begin.

And...because sales people aren't always truthful, take a friend, a real friend, with you. Someone who'll read you up, down, left, right and sideways if a look doesn't hit the mark.

Once you find what you like, have it all tailored.

Congratulations and good luck on your new adventure!

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:26am
Congrats on the new job! 

Know your body - dont measure bust-mid drift-butt.. that is only for side projection...front facing: its shoulders - smallest part of your waist - hips. How your body looks facing forward.

Find a cheap tailor...it makes a world of difference.

Follow the line of your body. Skirts and dresses give a more pulled together look better when it hits below the knee. Don't interrupt the visual line of your body .

If the shoe must be flat - make it pointed toe.

I am not a fan of pants but if you must wear them... get them tailored so they are straight leg/cigarette type since summer is coming up. 

6. Try this ebay store. I buy a lot of clothes here because the dresses are the classic vintage cut that trappers at the waist and stops at the knee. I rarely have to get anything tailored from this store. http://stores.ebay.com/valuefashionshop/

7. For the love of all that is holy and graceful....stay away from platform shoes. Unless your 4'11 and 90lbs...platform shoes make women's feet look like cow hooves. A pointed-toe shoe with no platform will never be out of style. 

Look great everyday. I personally don't like to work with sales people who look a mess. People like to be around beautiful people...its part of the experience. 

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:33am
I'm not sure your budget but New York ad Company has lots of nice ready-made business casual outfits. They have lots of sales and coupons as well. 

Posted By: MissDarkEyes
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:36am
Can't go wrong with wrap dresses!  Universally (almost) flattering, classic and they look good with both heels and flats.  DVF if you want to splurge but you can get some nice ones from The Gap & Banana Republic.

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Benni Benni wrote:

Keep it simple and classic.

This exactly. IMO less is more because it allows your natural beauty to shine. Avoid wearing too much jewelry also. Wear a nice pair of diamond studs, a ring, and a bracelet  or possibly a necklace is fine.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:16pm
Get your clothes tailored! I wish Loehmann's was still open because the Chelsea's Back room was EVERYTHING you would need in life Cry

Are you still in NY? Holla at Century 21 real quick

Posted By: JulieGianni
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:08pm
I just wanted to add when you buy clothes please stay with natural fibers.  To the untrained eye, all materials look the same.  When it comes to high end luxury shoppers they know the difference between a poly-blend and silk jersey in a blink.

So check for items in cotton (under 10% stretch is ok), wool, silk, cashmere. Some designers use viscose, but if you do that it should probably be from the place where you work.

Please take care of your clothing, make sure it is not stained, strained or in need of repair.  Find a nice perfume (preferably from your employer) to wear subtly. You need to appear, sound and smell high end.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by JulieGianni JulieGianni wrote:

I just wanted to add when you buy clothes please stay with natural fibers.  To the untrained eye, all materials look the same.  When it comes to high end luxury shoppers they know the difference between a poly-blend and silk jersey in a blink.

So check for items in cotton (under 10% stretch is ok), wool, silk, cashmere. Some designers use viscose, but if you do that it should probably be from the place where you work.

Please take care of your clothing, make sure it is not stained, strained or in need of repair.  Find a nice perfume (preferably from your employer) to wear subtly. You need to appear, sound and smell high end.

Hi Julie!

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:18pm

Hi Julie!

Hi Epitome!Thumbs Up

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:26pm

Hi Julie!!!! *waves* I'm glad you're back....

Ok, so... im....ummm....cheap. Where can i find these type of items for the low.

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:44pm

Why are you so shady towards me?

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

...I said no1. You're SmartSamone2 since the other one has been around a lot longer than you. 

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

...I said no1. You're SmartSamone2 since the other one has been around a lot longer than you. 

okay

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Hi Julie!!!! *waves* I'm glad you're back....

Ok, so... im....ummm....cheap. Where can i find these type of items for the low.

Hi, Thank You!

Just for the record I have really expensive taste, but refuse to buy anything that is NOT on sale.

I suggest www.ruelala.com,  www.gilt.com - not so much, they are still a little to pricey for my liking.  If you are in NYC Century 21 of course.  Also try the sales sections for www.bergdorf.com, www.neimanmarcus.com and www.saksfifthavenue.com.  You can now purchase from www.lastcall.com (this is neiman's discount site) and www.saksoff5th.com (sak's discount site).  Both have a sales section for further discounts.

If you go buy Diane Von Furstenburg, she retails at about $345 a dress.  Make sure it's silk because she likes to throw in some polyblends at the same price, which is NOT WORTH IT (same for Tory Burch). But if you are vigilant in looking you can easily get a silk DVF wrap dress for about $175, $150 if you are lucky (if you see $150 in your size, you need to buy it immediately).  

www.bluefly.com is not that good for discounts.  For some accessories they are ok, but not great overall. Go to stores and get familiar with different designers, their cuts, and sizes.  This way you can easily buy online without second guessing the fit.

ETA: For your job, I would strongly suggest avoiding any prints - DVF does a lot of wild prints, but she does solids and tasteful color blocking too.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 12:39am
Thanks Ladies there are some wonderful tips in this thread! I am so exited to get dressed, LOL although I am not in NY there are some options out here we have a place called LAST CHANCE its actually Nordstorm's (GOODWILL STORE) lol I've found some excellent deals in there on occasion!

I am not working in a store, I have my own business and the product I am marketing is for the High-end, Luxury consumer. Do they still have SYMS in ny?

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 12:49pm

Thanks Ladies there are some wonderful tips in this thread! I am so exited to get dressed, LOL although I am not in NY there are some options out here we have a place called LAST CHANCE its actually Nordstorm's (GOODWILL STORE) lol I've found some excellent deals in there on occasion!

I am not working in a store, I have my own business and the product I am marketing is for the High-end, Luxury consumer. Do they still have SYMS in ny?

No SYMS closed. So did Loehmann's and Daffy's.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 12:54pm

Daffy's was the spot. They better not even THINK of closing Filene's Basement.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Daffy's was the spot. They better not even THINK of closing Filene's Basement.

You don't shop much....Filene's has BEEN closed.

It's a shame because you were able to buy really great high end clothing for great prices there.  They were my secret spots. I hope they re-structure.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:12pm
I forgot another site.

www.outnet.com

This is the discount site for www.netaporter.com

Net-a-porter is a very high end e-retailer. I go there twice a year when they have their sale which is very good.  

Print Page | Close Window