Print Page | Close Window

Quit job before having another lined up?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370532
Printed Date: Apr 24 2018 at 8:10pm

Topic: Quit job before having another lined up?
Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Subject: Quit job before having another lined up?
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:14pm
I know its not a good idea to quit your job without having another one lined up, but are there circumstances that justify doing it?

I am debating hard about this.

My job is physically (I'm currently injured) and mentally (coworker recently had a stress induced panic attack and I feel like I might not be far behind)draining. Which would be fine if I felt like it would get me somewhere but this is a dead-end and I know it. 

No such thing as work/life balance at this place. Regularly work 50+ hour weeks with no overtime cause I'm on salary. Get notified about change of schedule on the day of. "Oh yeah we are working a 12 hour shift today instead of an 8"

The job is in my field (chemistry) but I do not feel like I am learning much of anything that I didn't already know from school.

I constantly have to fight with the other managers to do my job and have to babysit the non-salaried workers in order to make sure they do their job correctly.

I've just been trying to hold on until I get into graduate school, so I can help my mom with bills.

I have a little over three months worth of expenses saved.

Whatchu think?

Should I quit now and immediately start a job search?
Or should I risk more physical and mental injury to keep a steady pay check and job search when I'm not passed out tired from work(the weekends...that if I they don't decide to call me in)?

Replies:
Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:18pm
Only you know how much more you can take before going postal on their asses. It's always better to have a job to get a job but do what you have to do to preserve your sanity.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:22pm
If you have a substantial emergency fund that can carry you for a certain period or secure circumstances lined up to support yourself as you look for employment, I say go for it. We all could use a mental and physical break from time to time.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:26pm
Go with your gut. Just make sure you'll be able to support yourself still until you find another job if you do quit.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Only you know how much more you can take before going postal on their asses. It's always better to have a job to get a job but do what you have to do to preserve your sanity.
This. I know 2 people who quit for their sanity and they went through a little rough patch while looking for work but they ended up being okay. Their health improved and so did their attitude.

HugHug

Posted By: 510QUEEN
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:35pm
dont do it.  you always need a backup plan!

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:42pm
i did that, but i was living with my mom at the time. I was at a job that was making me emotionally ill. to the point where i rapidly lost weight. i had to walk away. But, i could never do that now, without having something lined up.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:43pm
I'm trying so hard to be responsible. Ugghhh.

If this were just another retail job like when I was in high school and college, I would have quit months ago.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:43pm
Contact your doctor to document your physical and mental well being . How long have you work for the company ? Many states will allow unemplyoment benefits even if you quit under certain circumstance . I would also consult with a free legal service . Money means nothing at the cost of your health . I quit a job years ago as a 911 operator . The state gave me umemployment with a 2 week penalty . Good luck.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:45pm
Unless you're in a highly coveted field like IT where you can find a job in 5 minutes I wouldn't do it. You just started working & you're going to have to work sh*tty hours sometimes. 

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:46pm
My daughters father is kind of in the same position. His job is so physical, he ending up getting another job, but it's nothing like hes used to. Sitting all day and its full time.. He doesn't want to leave the people he works for hanging so he's really like what should I do? He's like should he ask just to work once a month, or to take a leave of absence or just quit. Just so he can try the new job out.. It's a hard decision to make. I'd start looking for job immediately and try to stick it out until you're secure. Unless you just need a break and can afford it.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Contact your doctor to document your physical and mental well being . How long have you work for the company ? Many states will allow unemplyoment benefits even if you quit under certain circumstance . I would also consult with a free legal service . Money means nothing at the cost of your health . I quit a job years ago as a 911 operator . The state gave me umemployment with a 2 week penalty . Good luck.

My physical injury is documented with my personal doctor and HR but you are right, I do need to see someone so that my mental state is also documented.

I've only been with the company for a year. Which seems to be the normal turnover rate for this place.

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

I know its not a good idea to quit your job without having another one lined up, but are there circumstances that justify doing it?

My job is physically (I'm currently injured) and mentally (coworker recently had a stress induced panic attack and I feel like I might not be far behind)draining. Which would be fine if I felt like it would get me somewhere but this is a dead-end and I know it. 

No such thing as work/life balance at this place. Regularly work 50+ hour weeks with no overtime cause I'm on salary. Get notified about change of schedule on the day of. "Oh yeah we are working a 12 hour shift today instead of an 8"

The job is in my field (chemistry) but I do not feel like I am learning much of anything that I didn't already know from school.

I constantly have to fight with the other managers to do my job and have to babysit the non-salaried workers in order to make sure they do their job correctly.

I've just been trying to hold on until I get into graduate school, so I can help my mom with bills.

When do you plan to go back to school?  if soon (like this fall) then stick it out while looking for another job.  If your plans are to go back like 1-2 years from now, maybe its best to quit and look now. 

Are your plans to work while in school as well?  If so be sure to try to secure a job that will allow you the time to do your studies while getting a paycheck.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:53pm
Can you act like you just re-injured yourself and take 1.5 wks off from work as sick leave? Use the sick leave to apply for 100 targeted jobs in your area and in other areas and to reach out to former classmates & colleagues that are in your field to ask for their help with your job search. This is the worst time for you to quit b/c companies have just exhausted their hiring budgets by making job offers to undergrad & graduate students that complete their degrees in May 2014.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Bribby Bribby wrote:

My daughters father is kind of in the same position. His job is so physical, he ending up getting another job, but it's nothing like hes used to. Sitting all day and its full time.. He doesn't want to leave the people he works for hanging so he's really like what should I do? He's like should he ask just to work once a month, or to take a leave of absence or just quit. Just so he can try the new job out.. It's a hard decision to make. I'd start looking for job immediately and try to stick it out until you're secure. Unless you just need a break and can afford it.

Yes lawd. I bought a fitbit to see how much I'm really doing at work. I'm averaging 50 to 60 flights of stairs a day (which led to my injury), climbing ladders, walking an average of 6 miles, picking up 50lb weights on a regular basis, all with layers of PPE and no air condition. It's freakin South Alabama! who doesn't have central air!?

I'm suppose to be sitting cool in somebodies lab. We don't even have chairs in our lab. (Big bish broke it and we never got a new one)

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:56pm
Toughen up softie.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:58pm
I plan on starting grad school Spring 2015 or Fall 2015. Depending on if I get into my top choice.

I do not plan to work while in school.

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:02pm
FYI - If I were you, I would drop a dime to the department of labor. No bs. I had a job where they fired 50 people and gave us their work load without increasing our pay, without modifying our job descriptions etc and it was impossible for the team to do the work in an 8hr day so we all worked really late for months without overtime pay and this was what the company thought was going to be the new normal. Some anonymous person contacted the dept of labor and they sent a rep to our office and interviewed everyone 1 by 1 and we told the amount of hours that we worked without extra pay, without any extra benefits. Weeks later, we all got checks with $xxxx.00 in our pay stubs to make up for the hours extra that we hadnt been paid for and the company gave us optional overtime to finish the extra work and if you didnt want to stay, you were told to leave at your regular work hours (4pm). The execs were on pins & needles and kissin the emplyess azzes after that LOL

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Can you act like you just re-injured yourself and take 1.5 wks off from work as sick leave? Use the sick leave to apply for 100 targeted jobs in your area and in other areas and to reach out to former classmates & colleagues that are in your field to ask for their help with your job search. This is the worst time for you to quit b/c companies have just exhausted their hiring budgets by making job offers to undergrad & graduate students that complete their degrees in May 2014.

LOL They require documentation for all injuries, so I can't fake a new one. 

I got sent home today for some BS that aint got nothing to do with me. (Even my boss rolled his eyes) So I've been sending out resumes left and right. Six so far.

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:16pm
I have totally walked out on several jobs, and because it was so spur of the moment I obviously did not have another lined up. I don't suffer fools well, and don't take nonsense from anyone. Fortunately for me in my Profession, jobs are not difficult to come by.

Good Luck.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:25pm
how does this work relate to your degree?

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

how does this work relate to your degree?

Quality control chemistry. The tests are performed in a chemistry lab using analytical instrumentation.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:38pm

Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

LOL They require documentation for all injuries, so I can't fake a new one. 

I got sent home today for some BS that aint got nothing to do with me. (Even my boss rolled his eyes) So I've been sending out resumes left and right. Six so far.

I did it before. Lined up an interview and secured the new job during the week and a half on sick leave. When you want a way out, you make a way out.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:59pm
I've done it before many times back in the day. But it's not recommended.

(resign not 'quit' --though I guess it's the same thing lol)

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:00pm
This isn't the job you were excited about is it? (maybe wrong poster)

Hope things work out. I think I would resign if it was interfering with my health and sanity though.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:02pm
the only job I ever quit (just left with no notice -- I hated to do it but ..) was when I worked at a Univ and they missed payroll. Welp..

eta: I had another job by the end of the week at IBM

Posted By: Beauty620
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:25pm
I've done it plenty of times back in the day as well, when I was living with mommy LOL
But now as an adult with two kids and my own place, I have no choice but to stay where ever I don't want to be until something else comes into play. That's the responsibility that comes with being an adult lol. But if your still living at home with your mom and you explained your situation and she's okay with that then boo boo do you. Only you know what you deal with on a daily basis. Trust me if I could walk out I would till this day and couldn't nobody tell me a darn thing you feel me. 

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 2:29pm

Yes lawd. I bought a fitbit to see how much I'm really doing at work. I'm averaging 50 to 60 flights of stairs a day (which led to my injury), climbing ladders, walking an average of 6 miles, picking up 50lb weights on a regular basis, all with layers of PPE and no air condition. It's freakin South Alabama! who doesn't have central air!?

I'm suppose to be sitting cool in somebodies lab. We don't even have chairs in our lab. (Big bish broke it and we never got a new one)

Wow see and he be having a lot to complain about at his job too. It's under construction, they ain't storing stuff correctly. He's the youngest one, all the other employees get paid more and watch him do all of the work, he works EVERY sunday. Just a whole bunch of BS, but he likes the people.. I think they're ratchet from what he tells me. & it's like yall are BOTH qualified to have a way better job cause you got a degree. I think its the comfort and the time you put in there that make you not want to leave. 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

This isn't the job you were excited about is it? (maybe wrong poster)

Hope things work out. I think I would resign if it was interfering with my health and sanity though.

No this isn't the job I was excited for. I'm kind of glad I didn't get that position though. It was with a bigger company that paid more but they stay having explosions and "accidents" at that place.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 3:07pm

Wow see and he be having a lot to complain about at his job too. It's under construction, they ain't storing stuff correctly. He's the youngest one, all the other employees get paid more and watch him do all of the work, he works EVERY sunday. Just a whole bunch of BS, but he likes the people.. I think they're ratchet from what he tells me. & it's like yall are BOTH qualified to have a way better job cause you got a degree. I think its the comfort and the time you put in there that make you not want to leave. 

I'm the youngest at my job also. Actually the youngest person in the entire plant. 

Almost pisses me off when they tell me I aint suppose to be tired because I'm young. Or that young people aint suppose to get hurt. What world do yall live in where young people's bodies are invincible? 

Posted By: thickblkbarbie
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:06pm
I agree with others don't do it until find another .. Job market is still tough .. We gotta a few temps at my job..maybe temping could be good until you find something concrete ...

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:11pm
You already have a bachelors?

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

yes mam

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Go with your gut. Just make sure you'll be able to support yourself still until you find another job if you do quit.
both of these. 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:48pm

yes mam

I was going to suggest looking into substitute teaching, I did that between undergraduate and grad school. But it's the wrong time of year. Also think out of the box, I'm assuming you don't have children, this is the time you should be looking to move out of the state or even out of the country for a while while you don't have responsibilities.
Maybe you're in this position because the universe is trying to tell you it's time to spread your wings.

What will be your major in grad school? Not chemistry I hope?

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:57pm

yes mam

I was going to suggest looking into substitute teaching, I did that between undergraduate and grad school. But it's the wrong time of year. Also think out of the box, I'm assuming you don't have children, this is the time you should be looking to move out of the state or even out of the country for a while while you don't have responsibilities.
Maybe you're in this position because the universe is trying to tell you it's time to spread your wings.

What will be your major in grad school? Not chemistry I hope?

My job search is definitely nationwide within reason. I would actually prefer to relocate.

Graduate major will be neuroscience. 

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:15pm
Good to hear you are looking to move. There's quite a few chemistry jobs in the northeast but frankly they will be temp jobs usually with no relocation and no benefits and the environment won't be all that different.

I'm kind of concerned because you seem not to enjoy working in a lab, your experience in the OP seems somewhat typical for this type of work.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:18pm
If you fed up and you can afford it then yeah.

Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:23pm

Good to hear you are looking to move. There's quite a few chemistry jobs in the northeast but frankly they will be temp jobs usually with no relocation and no benefits and the environment won't be all that different.

I'm kind of concerned because you seem not to enjoy working in a lab, your experience in the OP seems somewhat typical for this type of work.

I somewhat enjoy the lab work. It isn't particularly stressful or hard physically. 

I hate the quality assurance part of the job. Which is out of the lab and in the production room babysitting grown people. The mundane day-to-day of being a quality control chemist is mind numbing. I've been told that most work for chemist with only a BS is like this.

I need to get into research again so that I feel like I am making a difference and contributing to innovation. I worked in a research lab for three years during undergrad and loved it.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:32pm
I done it before but the economy was different back then.  What I think you should do now is start networking and put the word out that you are looking for new opportunities.  If it is that dire, make sure you have enough saved up for a year or two before quitting.  In the mean time, start subbing or depending on your state, get your certification in pharmacy and get your license, assuming that you state doesn't require schooling (i.e. education in pharmacy technician) aside a high school diploma or GED.

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:42pm
I used to quit jobs too in the past without another one lined but sometimes I would get lucky and find a few job right away, the economy was way better back then but I certainly wouldn't do that now. I think you should go to a employment agency on your days off and look for a new job before quitting the one you have.

Posted By: AmiliaCabral
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:56pm
Can you quit in your state and receive unemployment? You said that you're injured...do you qualify for disability? That's the only way that I would do it if I had less than 6 months worth of expenses saved. 

You never know how long that it could take to find a new job. My sister quit her job because it was emotionally taxing and she felt free as a bird for the first two months. Then it sunk in that finding a job is no easy thing these days. She was out of work for eight months and she's an engineer Confused She took a job that was worse than the last one, but she got an offer four months after she started.

There's no guarantee that your next job will be any better. You want to walk into a better situation, which you can do when you have the financial leverage to do so. If you feel like it's something that you have to do, then do it, but be prepared.

Posted By: AwesomeAries
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:16pm
idk if this has been asked
but do you have enough money saved for the next 8 months at least to live off
I wouldn't do it if I did not have enough money to live off
if you are living paycheck to paycheck
do not do it 

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:13pm
I'm in the same boat. I hate my job, but I am planning to quit in August to return to school. I am going to stay with family members.

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:18pm
I've done it before and didn't regret. Hell I've done it several times but I've always had more than enough money saved to live a very long time without a job. I am all about my sanity. If a job is not good for my health, I'm quitting.

I went to the hospital over chest pains which I thought was my heart but it was just some damn stress. Pissed me off to the max because I ended up owing the hospital A LOT OF MONEY just for those bastards to tell me to take it easy. Never again. I quit the next day.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:22pm
I only have 3 months of expenses save. That said, I do live at home and those expenses were calculated based on my living in an apartment.

I do not qualify for disability.

I am certainly not living paycheck to paycheck but I am no where near ballin either.

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:29pm
if you live at home
do you have any skills you can fall back on can you do hair, braids ect.
do you  know how to play a piano and can play for a church
can you do wedding photography... anything like that
and yes if you asking Awesome is hustling in these streets LOL

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by AwesomeAries AwesomeAries wrote:

if you live at home
do you have any skills you can fall back on can you do hair, braids ect.
do you  know how to play a piano and can play for a church
can you do wedding photography... anything like that
and yes if you asking Awesome is hustling in these streets LOL

Babysitting, natural hair styling, or tutoring.

Though I hate every one of those lol

I'm really trying to stick it out at my current job as long as I can but its a struggle.

I have some vacation time coming up soon that I'm looking forward to.

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:36pm
Would you be ok doing customer service work? Even if you did it part time? Its monies until you find something else....and they take everybody because they know people will quit eventually

Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:38pm
use craigslist to capitalize on your natural styling skills
you would be surprised how many people need someone to do natural hair
blah babysitting, blah tutoring LOL
I have a friend who goes to school full time and supports herself by doing hair

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by HowardAlumAKA HowardAlumAKA wrote:

Would you be ok doing customer service work? Even if you did it part time? Its monies until you find something else....and they take everybody because they know people will quit eventually
I don't think customer service is a good idea. That may be moving from bad to worse. That's what I'm doing. I remember one week the EMS was at my job everyday wheeling out girls who had panic attacks.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:12pm
3 months savings is not enough to quit. While no job is worth your sanity, being unemployed with a shrinking fund will stress you out more. Only quit if you can go home and stay with family while you job search.

I would HIGHLY recommend using some vacation time or a long weekend to focus your job search. Before the days free use whatever few free hours you can scrape to job search and bookmark interesting jobs.

On your free day edit your resume/cover letter and apply to those joints back to back. Don't rush, make sure you proofread, but you should be able to knock out about 20 in a day.

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:27am
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

Can you quit in your state and receive unemployment? You said that you're injured...do you qualify for disability? That's the only way that I would do it if I had less than 6 months worth of expenses saved. 

You never know how long that it could take to find a new job. My sister quit her job because it was emotionally taxing and she felt free as a bird for the first two months. Then it sunk in that finding a job is no easy thing these days. She was out of work for eight months and she's an engineer Confused She took a job that was worse than the last one, but she got an offer four months after she started.

There's no guarantee that your next job will be any better. You want to walk into a better situation, which you can do when you have the financial leverage to do so. If you feel like it's something that you have to do, then do it, but be prepared.

See I did this too, but I didn't have a degree. This is especially eye opening seeing people with degrees not being able to find jobs. Shyyyyt I'll never do that ish again. If you are working in the field your degree is in and you can't handle this job.....what are you going to do in the future? It's good to have experience to go along with your education. I'm sure you can get a full time call center or retail type of job if you hate it that much.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:30am
Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

I don't think customer service is a good idea. That may be moving from bad to worse. That's what I'm doing. I remember one week the EMS was at my job everyday wheeling out girls who had panic attacks.

Wow. It's customer service, who gets that upset at someone yelling at you over the phone? I never let it bother me to that extent.

Posted By: foxyroy19
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:38am
It is not only having a customer yell at you but other factors as call time, call hold, phone etiquette,  company script or call points etc.  High volume call center can break most people.

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:51am
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

It is not only having a customer yell at you but other factors as call time, call hold, phone etiquette,  company script or call points etc.  High volume call center can break most people.

Yea, I know. Well if people can't handle that, how do they think they can handle more difficult jobs?

Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:21am
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

Wow. It's customer service, who gets that upset at someone yelling at you over the phone? I never let it bother me to that extent.

Not everyone is made of Teflon.LOL

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: May 08 2014 at 8:44am

I have a little over three months worth of expenses saved.

Whatchu think?

Should I quit now and immediately start a job search?
Or should I risk more physical and mental injury to keep a steady pay check and job search when I'm not passed out tired from work(the weekends...that if I they don't decide to call me in)?

You need to get out of there .. but do it in a smart way.

1 - line up your interviews with company A - Z within a set 2 week period

2 - call in 'sick' from this job for 2 weeks

3- with those 2 weeks - interview constantly

4- return to work week 3 and wait for the offers to come in

5- when you get an offer - accept it but tell them you cannot start until X day so that you can have a nice 2 week break between jobs.

If your FIELD is Chemistry and they had you doing baby work ... this would be career suicide.

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 11:56am
It depends on how quickly you can find another job.  Some people can find another job in a matter of a few days, whereas if you work in a saturated field it could take months.

What are you going to graduate school for?

Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

See I did this too, but I didn't have a degree. This is especially eye opening seeing people with degrees not being able to find jobs. Shyyyyt I'll never do that ish again. If you are working in the field your degree is in and you can't handle this job.....what are you going to do in the future? It's good to have experience to go along with your education. I'm sure you can get a full time call center or retail type of job if you hate it that much.

This job is in my career field but there are plenty of other jobs in my career field also.

According to my boss (also a career chemist) this is the most unorganized and stressful job he's worked at. He says he comes in every day because its hilarious. Confused

He also says that if/when we (me and the other scientist on staff) move on to any other company it will be cake because we've been forged by these fires.

Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

It depends on how quickly you can find another job.  Some people can find another job in a matter of a few days, whereas if you work in a saturated field it could take months.

What are you going to graduate school for?

Neuroscience

Date Posted: May 11 2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

You need to get out of there .. but do it in a smart way.

1 - line up your interviews with company A - Z within a set 2 week period

2 - call in 'sick' from this job for 2 weeks

3- with those 2 weeks - interview constantly

4- return to work week 3 and wait for the offers to come in

5- when you get an offer - accept it but tell them you cannot start until X day so that you can have a nice 2 week break between jobs.

If your FIELD is Chemistry and they had you doing baby work ... this would be career suicide.

Not coming at you but wouldn't she have to come up with a doctor's note if she is goin to use her sick days?  I know every organizations is different but some companies require a doctor's note if you are "sick" for more than three days.

Print Page | Close Window