Print Page | Close Window

Why is Gabourey Sidibes Confidence questioned

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370463
Printed Date: Nov 24 2017 at 11:02am

Topic: Why is Gabourey Sidibes Confidence questioned
Posted By: f8dagrate
Subject: Why is Gabourey Sidibes Confidence questioned
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:16am
I don't see anyone asking Beyonce's confidence? Yes I know she is big but that shat is shady eff.  

Somebody help me embed please don't know what the hell is going onCry

"I had zero friends from the fourth grade to the sixth grade. Who the hell was I baking cookies for? I really got so excited to bake that I had forgotten that everyone hated my guts," she continued. "Why didn't they like me? I was fat, yes. I had darker skin and weird hair, yes. But the truth is, this isn't a story about bullying, or color, or weight. They hated me because … I was an a******."     <<<<<I'm sorry but what does this meanConfused

The realization made Gabourey understand a lot about the struggles of growing up. Even today, the "Precious" star admits that it's not always comfortable for her to appear at events when she knows that she will face criticism because of her weight.

"It's not easy. It's hard to get dressed up for award shows and red carpets when I know I will be made fun of because of my weight. There's always a big chance if I wear purple, I will be compared to Barney. If I wear white, a frozen turkey. And if I wear red, that pitcher of Kool-Aid that says, "Oh, yeaahh!" Twitter will blow up with nasty comments about how the recent earthquake was caused by me running to a hot dog cart or something."

Gabourey also opened up about how all her past childhood experiences have made her a better actress today with a lot of confidence.

"I live my life because I dare. I dare to show up when everyone else might hide their faces and hide their bodies in shame. … My mother and my father love me. … I'm grateful to them and to my fifth-grade class because if they hadn't made me cry, I wouldn't be able to cry on cue now," the actress explained. "If I hadn't been told I was garbage, I wouldn't have learned how to show people I'm talented. And if everyone had always laughed at my jokes, I wouldn't have figured out how to be so funny. If they hadn't told me I was ugly, I never would have searched for my beauty."

Well, we love how fierce Gabourey is and that she has the ability to be honest about her feelings. Check out this video to see more of her childhood story and why she thinks no one liked her, and tune in to "The Insider With Yahoo" for the latest in entertainment news.

Don't

Replies:
Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:24am
People want her to hate herself because she doesn't fit the expected standard of beauty and has the audacity to be happy and proud of the way she is.

It's like people shaming another person for being fat under a false guise of caring for their target's health. If that fat person began working to lose weight, they'd STILL face shame for even trying. It shows this is more about social status than a genuine care for someone's health.

They just want to tear her down for not being the expected and being perfectly fine with that.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:43am
I don't question her confidence and the thing that makes her likeable is her outgoing personality.  She seems like a fun person to be around bc she's sarcastic,witty, and self aware....what I'm curious about is her choice to not lose weight bc it would improve her quality of life and prolong it, especially since her lifestyle is so great. If that's how she wants to live then that's her choice...but people will talk, whether it's about an obese body or beyonce's body...people are going to have something bad to say no matter your weight.  We live in a weight obsessed culture.

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:45am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

People want her to hate herself because she doesn't fit the expected standard of beauty and has the audacity to be happy and proud of the way she is.

It's like people shaming another person for being fat under a false guise of caring for their target's health. If that fat person began working to lose weight, they'd STILL face shame for even trying. It shows this is more about social status than a genuine care for someone's health.

They just want to tear her down for not being the expected and being perfectly fine with that.

I would really like her more if she didn't say things so off putting. 

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:51am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

I don't question her confidence and the thing that makes her likeable is her outgoing personality.  She seems like a fun person to be around bc she's sarcastic,witty, and self aware....what I'm curious about is her choice to not lose weight bc it would improve her quality of life and prolong it, especially since her lifestyle is so great. If that's how she wants to live then that's her choice...but people will talk, whether it's about an obese body or beyonce's body...people are going to have something bad to say no matter your weight.  We live in a weight obsessed culture.

I don't think people really care about  her quality of life. It is just fun talking ish about a big bish. But people don't want to admit that.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:52am
do you have to really care to give your opinion though?  We don't really care about any of these people...happy for them if they have a baby or get married, sad for them if they die but we don't really CARE.

Posted By: liesnalibis
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:59am
People felt the same way when that girl Karyn Washington killed herself. The ambassador for dark women and creator of For Brown Girls.

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:19am

do you have to really care to give your opinion though?  We don't really care about any of these people...happy for them if they have a baby or get married, sad for them if they die but we don't really CARE.

True !!!!!

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:19am
Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

People felt the same way when that girl Karyn Washington killed herself. The ambassador for dark women and creator of For Brown Girls.

What really? What did they say, I've never heard this!

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:25am
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

Remember her friend made a video saying people were assuming that the girl really was insecure about her skin tone but supposedly it wasn't true and the reason was she was grieving over the loss of her mother. Also Tommy Sotomayor made a video and of course he had to inject all of his insecurities into the situation.

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:27am

Remember her friend made a video saying people were assuming that the girl really was insecure about her skin tone but supposedly it wasn't true and the reason was she was grieving over the loss of her mother. Also Tommy Sotomayor made a video and of course he had to inject all of his insecurities into the situation.

Wow, I guess her friend really thought she was ugly after-all but liked how confident she was about it. 

And about Tommy Sotomayor, Eff him to the power of tenth. Once I found out that wasn't his real name and that he has been to jail 3 times. Everything he says is rubbish, well it's been rubbish but now it is rubbish sprinkled with a little nonsense.

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:33am
No f8, Karyn's friend was defending her against those accusations and saying her suicide had nothing to do with insecurity over her skin tone. But a lot of people in the blogosphere or whatever were making those assumptions that Karyn suffered from low self esteem deep down despite her strong facade and that was the reason she killed herself.

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 3:33am

No f8, Karyn's friend was defending her against those accusations and saying her suicide had nothing to do with insecurity over her skin tone. But a lot of people in the blogosphere or whatever were making those assumptions that Karyn suffered from low self esteem deep down despite her strong facade and that was the reason she killed herself.

Oh okay thx I misunderstood. Why the hell would people think that. I actually thought the opposite with my shallow azz. I thought how could someone so pretty do that. Then I thought man pretty kill themselves all the time.

Posted By: Journey94
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 6:03am
They want to her to hate herself so bad

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 6:23am

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 7:47am
reminds me of:

http://jezebel.com/please-dont-ask-mindy-kaling-where-her-confidence-come-1411067149" rel="nofollow - Please Don't Ask Mindy Kaling Where Her Confidence Comes From

Please Dont Ask Mindy Kaling Where Her Confidence Comes From http://jezebel.com/that-is-some-eyebrow-magic-1413356326" rel="nofollow - 1 Expand

Mindy Kaling landed the new cover of Parade magazine, and in an interview, she talks about the attention paid to her appearance:

“I always get asked, ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’

And some more thoughts on othering:

“There are little Indian girls out there who look up to me, and I never want to belittle the honor of being an inspiration to them. But while I’m talking about why I’m so different, white male show runners get to talk about their art.”

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 8:53am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

Yep, that's the problem.

If she was siting around feeling bad about herself and working some job out of the spotlight - people would be fine with it. But because she's OUT THERE, has fun, meets people etc ... people feel they have the right to talk about her weight and skin color and put her down.

People saying they are concerned about her health ... is crap. I don't believe it they really care about her health ... she just doesn't 'look right'.

I know women that have much more of an 'acceptable' appearance and they don't have the confidence Gaby has in her index finger.

I've said it before - it's alllll about how you genuinely feel about yourself.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 9:29am
So being a white male who is fit is the only one worthy of confidence? Humans are disgusting and I love Gabby in AHS and Mindy is helluva attractive!

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 9:56am
ehh ive never cared to question her confidence..

do people really worry this much about other people?

there are confident women at any size and shape

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 10:25am
None of that sounded confident to me. She strikes me as the fat person who makes fun of them self before anyone else can. Sounds like she deals with being fat, not that she's super confident.

My speculation.

And people question her because she's fat and ugly to most people. If beyonce was fat and ugly, they'd ask her too. Actually, I think many people get asked this question. Gabby isn't the first.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:03pm
Does a stand for African?

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:12pm

And about Tommy Sotomayor, Eff him to the power of tenth. Once I found out that wasn't his real name and that he has been to jail 3 times. Everything he says is rubbish, well it's been rubbish but now it is rubbish sprinkled with a little nonsense.
Jail 3 times!? And has the nerve to talk trash about anyone else besides himself? Rofl. Please post the lank for this.LOL

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 12:25pm
Confidence is always questioned when a person doesnt fit the general perception of beauty.Usually it's a person who knows they wouldnt be happy in that persons shoes so they cant imagine that they could be.

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Confidence is always questioned when a person doesnt fit the general perception of beauty.Usually it's a person who knows they wouldnt be happy in that persons shoes so they cant imagine that they could be.

I agree. 

Posted By: Mixer
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 1:27pm

Wow, I guess her friend really thought she was ugly after-all but liked how confident she was about it. 

Wait, why the hell did you believe that was his real name?LOL

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 1:53pm
she needs something to talk about to keep her relevantSleepy what has she been in lately? the last thing i paid attention to her in was eddie murphy movie she played the maidLOL

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:02pm
I dont really think it was necessary for her to have to explain why she likes herself. People treat it as such a strange phenomonom that a fatty like herself could find value in who she is, and i honestly would not entertain any of that foolishness because that is disrespectful. you aint gotta explain nothin to nobody

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Jail 3 times!? And has the nerve to talk trash about anyone else besides himself? Rofl. Please post the lank for this.LOL

http://api.ning.com/files/jY5mCCMi3CQhjV6tPOtiYxelXZQnG-vwbgaN6FSS*gW9-wmOySnoZB3b92L0eLVhx2rxzqiqusZUV-I1Zr9QJwqL0sWHmZ3M/1_1889806_34493069640x360b12.jpg" rel="nofollow">

So, I was made aware that an elderly Uncle Tom Youtuber by the name of Tommy Sotomayor dedicated a 15 minute video to Baller Alert yesterday. Watch it below:

Let me begin by saying I am FLATTERED that he found our site and gave it so much of his time. I couldn't even be angry. I actually would like to take the opportunity to give Mr. Sotomayor a bit of my time as well. For this reason, I have written him an open letter. 

Good Morning Mr. Sotomayor (or shall I say Thomas Jerome Harris), 

I hope that this open letter finds you in good health and that God has blessed you with breath this morning. As God's child I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that we saw the video that you dedicated to Baller Alert. Although I don't agree with the comments you made, I took the time to watch your video and give you views. I felt it was the least I could do since you've given us more than 15 minutes of your time and hours of your clicks. For that, I say 'Thank You'. 

I do have several questions to ask, however. Why do you hate black women so much? Where does this stem from? When did we become b****** and Whores Mr. Sotomo - I mean Harris?  I usually attribute this type of behavior to men who were abandoned by their mothers or weren't hugged as a child. I would like to know if I was right. I mean, you DID get a black woman pregnant, am I right? But then again, your hate for her is probably why you refuse to support your child and have been arrested for lack of doing so. For a man who hates black women so much, you sure are being what the white man would consider a stereotypical negro.

http://api.ning.com/files/zKTAwOrzxQLFWKNLVTukrt6ApbpRsw6YDyUSizd6BDmdlJDKdiI3JTO-Iu2yCb-VDvy1YrvrTg2Yq-RH7K*XDOsTOY2wSilc/mugshot33076142.jpg" rel="nofollow">

We here at Baller Alert believe that children need fathers, Mr. Sotomayor. Although I don't agree with what you do with your life, I will never use my platform to bash you. If you enjoy being a dead beat dad with a hair line that begins behind his ear lobes, so be it.  God has blessed you! Glory be to Jesus that the Youtube isn't working in conjunction with the Georgia Attorney General to garnish your checks and send them to that poor child. 

Speaking of Georgia and Attorney's Mr. Sotomayor, I pray that God has blessed you with getting your anger under control. That battery incident in July 2007 that sent you to Fulton County Jail was unfortunate wasn't it? Almost as unfortunate as the mug shot that accompanied it.

http://api.ning.com/files/jY5mCCMi3CSfrtZD2d8MJRqeaZtqFdUaXSmT3lmFzklJ1wuZi*oVlnAh*TE5xB2jtvCQMEesAmRT9m6pWNAz92sg8NMKISeT/ThomasJeromeHarrismugshot22209440.400x800.jpg" rel="nofollow">

Sweet Baby Jesus, I hope your anger is under control so we don't have to deal with any more violations of protective orders and battery charges out of you. Did you beat up a black woman here too? We saw that tattoo of a sword on your arm. Whoa there Killer!

http://api.ning.com/files/jY5mCCMi3CQarGfBu2lsp*8S6q7-T6s-W858zE2qqujKNXMx7*QW5yYXfrUKOejMvxGrI5utPOg31n5T8jsnKKai57nidLjM/mugshot33664742.jpg" rel="nofollow">

I understand that you don't approve of Baller Alert or Billionaires/Millionaires dating black women. Why would you? How could you approve of men with money when you owe over $30,000 in back support to your own flesh and blood. Could you even pick your child out of a line-up, Mr. Sotomayor?  Let's not mention the liens and the tax fraud. That is a blog for another day.

How could you approve of uplifting black women when you have a complex against dark skinned women and think we're all whores. I won't say you "hate" all black women because weren't you having sex with PICS star Caramel Kitten aka Ms. "Twerking By The Mailbox"? 

So let me get this right, you don't hate black women, you hate RESPECTABLE black women. You just hate black women who don't twerk in Walmart for youtube hits, masturbate for XVideos, or fill their butts with rubber cement. You'd rather call us whores on Youtube and preach that black men shouldn't date us, yet you share your bed with an Ebony Sista In Twerk. Mr. Sotomayor, I won't judge you but you are 37 years old and living in Atlanta, GA -- you are too old for these shenaBrothans, kind sir. 

I realize that it is not only hard for you to accept that black women are desired, but it is hard to accept that we are desired by wealthy black men. I also realized long ago that you are a troll. You have been trolling the internet with your fake hate for black women, you have been trolling the internet with your fake Cuban last name, and you have been trolling the internet with your numerous arrests for violent offenses. You are a fake and that's why I can't even give you the satisfaction of being angry at your video. The only thing real about you was posted in this blog.  You don't hate black women sweetie. You hate that when you go to jail, you are still considered BLACK and your multiple arrests prove it. You hate that you can get online and spew so much ignorance, yet your last 3 girlfriends (before Ms. Twerk) have a darker skin tone than me. You hate that you have to hide your online life from your off line family and friends and that you have to live your life in conflict, trying to determine how you really feel. 

Well let me tell you something Mr. Sotomayor-Harris, we here at Baller Alert weren't checking for you, you found us. Women here want the Ballerific life, not the life with a broke felon who doesn't pay child support, has anger issues, trolls the internet with a fake radio show, violates restraining orders and dates PICS stars. Especially not when his forehead "backs that ass up" more than his girlfriend does. I understand your need for acceptance by white people but never forget, you are still a Brotha Man to them, honey.

Stay Blessed My Brother.

-Signed,

We Here At Baller Alert.

PS - Consider this our last time addressing you Mr. Sotomayor. You see, we here at Baller Alert are busy doing REAL television and REAL radio interviews. We don't have time to stoop to the level of peasants who produce Youtube videos using their iPhone cameras and fake radio set ups. Have a blessed day and be well.

Read more:  http://www.balleralert.com/profiles/blogs/an-open-letter-to-tommy-sotomayor#ixzz30gLJHjY8" rel="nofollow - http://www.balleralert.com/profiles/blogs/an-open-letter-to-tommy-sotomayor#ixzz30gLJHjY8

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:32pm
His entire life

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:38pm
Wow I wanna know who he assaulted.

Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 2:44pm
$30k in back child support too. I would have never guessed someone would have hard proof of him being such a low life. What a bum.LOL

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 4:26pm
People get behind that camera and get brand new...... 

Posted By: QueenBee
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 4:47pm
Well damn...baller alert threw major shade.

Posted By: DiorShowGirl
Date Posted: May 03 2014 at 11:28pm

G....anytime u feel u need to get a breast reduction...call me and i will be on the table next to you getting your left overs...LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 12:51am
Even some of the "beautiful" people lack confidence

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 12:54am

Not just beauty either. In that Asian pornstar thread, basically everyone called bullsh*t on her being happy.

Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 12:55am
Thanked.

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 12:59am
People are haters

Thought we knew this already

Most people think Black women should all hate themselves and should be damn near suicidal. In fact, remember that the military had the audacity to study the low suicide rates of Black women as if it's through some voodoo that we aren't killing ourselves at high rates

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 1:18am
Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

That wasn't shade. That was a straight up READING OF HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO SIT DOWN! LOL

Posted By: Blac1Chyna
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 2:04am
Is this a serious question tho? Bey and Precious are lightyears away from each other in looks. There is no way that someone THAT self deprecating and is constantly reminded of their corpiousness is 100% happy and confident with it.

Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 2:13am
I think Gabby is pretty. I think people don't see it because she is big and black but I see it.

Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 2:29am
I don't think she's ugly but yeah, people are quick to call her that because she's big.

Posted By: Printer_Ink
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

People are haters

Most people think Black women should all hate themselves and should be damn near suicidal. In fact, remember that the military had the audacity to study the low suicide rates of Black women as if it's through some voodoo that we aren't killing ourselves at high rates

I think you are ... exagagerating.

Geesh most people don't think 'Black women should all hate themselves and should be damn near suicidal'.

Paranoid.

Although I do think a lot of Black people feel this way. If everyone in their lives is Black .. then yes, it will seem like 'most people' think this way.

Gotta get away from Black neighborhoods and get into the outside world.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 9:48am
I can't say shyt....I question unattractive peoples inability to realistically see themselves......I honestly don't find her attractive but I love her sense of humor......and I also love the fact that she is confident and realistic.......if that makes sense

Posted By: ragincajin
Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 9:48am

Weight and race obsessed.
Perfectly put Ms. Wonderland!

Date Posted: May 04 2014 at 9:55am

Originally posted by QueenBee QueenBee wrote:

That wasn't shade. That was a straight up READING OF HIS CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO SIT DOWN! LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 12:18am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I can't say shyt....I question unattractive peoples inability to realistically see themselves......I honestly don't find her attractive but I love her sense of humor......and I also love the fact that she is confident and realistic.......if that makes sense

All of thisClap^^^

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 3:33am
she's years into overweight after being discovered in precious, she's comfy with it & that aint cool, don't believe me ask j hudLOL once you come out n you big/fat/overweight whatever your reference the clock starts tickin for when those BIG weigh loss pix are gonna show on the front cover of the tabloid magazinesLOL she ain't doin it, she's happy where she @Sleepy

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 6:27am
I dont agree with the people that say she should lose weight tho......she should do what ever she wants....I have never heard her cry about being fat....never complain....nothing. She is content with herself....and people don't like that.....they feel unless you are their definition of perfection you shouldn't have good self-esteem.....

Posted By: K_Camille
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 7:49am
Originally posted by Bonjour baby ooowee Bonjour baby ooowee wrote:

she's years into overweight after being discovered in precious, she's comfy with it & that aint cool, don't believe me ask j hudLOL once you come out n you big/fat/overweight whatever your reference the clock starts tickin for when those BIG weigh loss pix are gonna show on the front cover of the tabloid magazinesLOL she ain't doin it, she's happy where she @Sleepy

I'm legit not sure what you're saying but I don't think I agree.

Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 12:34pm
LOL ^^^

sidenote: once a over-weight actor/actress/group/person of interest rises to stardom the public automatically begins to send suttle or outright messages that they should lose weight, gabby isn't adhering to the "lose weight pressure"  jenfier hudson is a prime example of once being in the public eye the weight MUST come off  (hence the ask j hud reference)

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: May 05 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

People are haters

Preach gyal Preach !!! ClapClap

Print Page | Close Window