Print Page | Close Window

Do you wash your meat

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=370375
Printed Date: Dec 16 2017 at 6:08am

Topic: Do you wash your meat
Posted By: naturesgift
Subject: Do you wash your meat
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:31pm
before cooking? I do even with lemon or ACV before cooking everything with the exception of ground beef. I just can't not wash it!
I just read somewhere its Unnecessary! To wash or not to wash... that is the question?

Replies:
Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:32pm
Yep! washing is a must

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:35pm
yes.  I wash then let soak in a lemon, vinegar and water mixture then season.  I'd wash ground beef if I could. 
Do y'all rinse your rice before you cook? *not to hijack the thread in it's infancy*

Posted By: Katrenia
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:35pm
Yes because at least you can avoid some germs left by meat handlers and butchers by washing.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:36pm
meat is in vinegar salt and water now actually. waiting to be bathed in hot water and then marinated.

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:36pm
I rinse my ground beef after I brown it....at least to get the excess fat off.
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

yes.  I wash then let soak in a lemon, vinegar and water mixture then season.  I'd wash ground beef if I could. 
Do y'all rinse your rice before you cook?

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:38pm
Yeah... and i clean my ground meat as best as i can too.

I rinse my rice

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

I rinse my ground beef after I brown it....at least to get the excess fat off.

Do y'all rinse your rice before you cook?

word? depending on how I cook my ground beef i'll mash it betwixt paper towels to get excess oils.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:42pm
@Ming. There's a good girl.

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Ming Ming wrote:

I rinse my rice

I'm so tired...My mind is so gone

I read this as "Yeah.....and I clean my meat as I beat it too."Disapprove

Posted By: Marcelo22
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:44pm
just cooked some ground beef patties..i dont clean ground beef...everything else i do

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by HunnyB HunnyB wrote:

I rinse my rice

I'm so tired...My mind is so gone

I read this as "Yeah.....and I clean my meat as I beat it too."Disapprove

u nasty.LOL

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=lwQLXruHYshEFM&tbnid=eE5oTigOB44-gM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totalprosports.com%2F2012%2F01%2F09%2F15-funniest-shake-weight-gifs%2F&ei=suVfU-TjDdSpsATSgYHgDQ&bvm=bv.65397613,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNGEvK7IJ3CTAjoxbpA22WjNmw17-w&ust=1398879988255362" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:47pm
last time I cooked a turkey (it's been a while) I looked into how to wash it and found that washing before cooking is no longer recommended by USDA. It said it didn't really do anything and some of the bacteria is so tightly attached you couldn't wash it off anyway. The  risk with washing meat (per USDA) is   cross contamination.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:53pm
I wash everything except ground beef.

I don't think I could ever NOT wash it, even if the removal of germs and whatnot is psychological lol.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:57pm
Hunny... i had to reread what i wrote

ND lmao Dead

Posted By: Diane (35)
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 12:59pm
no one mentioned that epic thread about meat washing? where most of us went we don't care about the fact that the bacteria is killed on cooking, better meat processing methods and facilities, or what they do in fancy restaurants (not washing to avoid cross contamination)  we still wash meat in the 2000s

Where the Haitian meat cleaning method was introduced to the forum?

I rinse rice but not as much as i saw my grandma do. 4-5 rinses and there's barely anything to pick out (i use bulk rice) 

Posted By: whosbotheringme
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:00pm
Yes.  Usually soak it in acv, lemon/lime or alcohol (liquor) depending on what I'm making.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:01pm
I rinse rice to remove some of starch before cooking.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:02pm
Diane, yeah that meat washing thread made me happy I no longer eat it. lol

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by whosbotheringme whosbotheringme wrote:

Yes.  Usually soak it in acv, lemon/lime or alcohol (liquor) depending on what I'm making.

go on Geek

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:04pm
Yes.  I just don't understand why not. 

I also wash and scrub my rice and grits too.  I'm country.  Sleepy

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

What?

Posted By: iliveforbhm
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:06pm
No I don't. Why when heat kills not water.

go on Geek

lol I don't eat pork chops/pork, but they/it taste good with a brandy or whiskey or applejack based brine.  I do that sometimes if I'm making them for others who are not opposed to alcohol.

Originally posted by Ds2nice Ds2nice wrote:

grits too? Tell me more? What do you drain them in/on?

I had to stop eating grits because of all the 'brown particles' in them recently. Grits didn't used to be like thatLOL. I know it won't hurt me to eat some stray bug body parts, but I just can't eat stuff that don't look rightLOL

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

Diane, yeah that meat washing thread made me happy I no longer eat it. lol

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL 

i dont know why im even washing the rice, it's just what we do LOL sometimes i dont wash the dog meat thoughCryCryCryCry

i too have washed ground beef before

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:08pm
Disapprove I think almost everything has stray bug parts.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:09pm

Disapprove I think almost everything has stray bug parts.

yep. which is why I only eat about 3 things LOL

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:11pm
I remember this thread. Good times.

How do you scrub rice and grits?

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:16pm
I don't scrub riceLOL but I do rinse. usually in a colander or a bowl.  I find that the rice cooks up fluffier when drain it doesn't have that nasty coating/skin on the top if you're one of those to boil the rice all the way down in the pot.

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:18pm
I dont do a deep clean like some of yall...but i do soak it in salt water to get off slime and rinse with water sometimes i may pour lemon juice over it.....i rinse ground beef after its cooked to get off excess fat

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by mzsophisticated mzsophisticated wrote:

I dont do a deep clean like some of yall...but i do soak it in salt water to get off slime and rinse with water sometimes i may pour lemon juice over it.....i rinse ground beef after its cooked to get off excess fat

I usually add kosher salt to the water I'm soaking in also.  The slime that comes off.Cry

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:34pm
I don't know, to me lemon removes so of the smell~ and then there are the extra stuff that you don't want to cook like excess parts of the chicken insides and fish I could never dream of not washing fish~... I did not know we had this thread before?
I guess its best not to eat dead meat and things...

Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:36pm
I dont wash my meat anymore. Heat from cooking will kill any bacteria. Washing it will just spread it all over the place in your kitchen

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 1:36pm
But rice actually it matters where it comes from...

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

well I find that folks getting uppity about washing meat and start slinging insults lol

first, it's not that serious and second since you aren't really cleaning it they way you think you are, your meat isn't really that much better off

[AK]Guuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllll [/Ak] at the underlined

SL you dont even talk about uppity cause everytime i see a yucky spongeDead i think of you. One sponge a day lady

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:00pm
I was raised to wash it / scrub with lemon but I don't do it anymore, unless I'm marinating. The most I'll do is rinse the meat quickly. It may feel good but it's a useless step.

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:16pm
I wash them birds. ACV does kill some bacteria. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:33pm
I just think about all the mess that my chicken has gone thru before it was in my sink- so hand washing kills germs but washing chicken does not... I am not sure I buy it,- yes I understand the concept of bacteria being killed by heat but I will never give up the practice of washing meat..
oh well

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:35pm
I pat beef. All other meat is washed with white vinegar.

Posted By: mizzsandra00
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:43pm
How many of y'all eat out?

LOL

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

How many of y'all eat out?

LOL
the real reason I hate eating out!
Because of the many people who do all sorts of things and also believe in the "self cleaning Vagina" and other practices...

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:47pm
*When you lose your old world traditions, you lose important info.  Anyone with 'old world' traditions cleans meat in some way whether it is wil lemon, lime, garlic,white vinegar or salt & water. 

Cross contamination is not a problem from washing meat b/c you are not splashing the wash water everything and you are still heavily bleaching the utensils and countertops before cooking the food.

People have been washing meat around the world since the beginning of time. Then get to the melting pot of USA and start doing what they see white folks do then start getting white man sicknesses like frequent stomach viruses (ecoli). THEN white hipsters will sell you a $25 e-book for your Kindle about cleaning meat and you will think that you have the new radical health food innovation. Then Doctor Oz will have some blockbuster episode teaching you how to clean meat and it will be a big rage to clean meat as though folks havent been doing it.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:47pm
NJ you are speaking the TRUTH! We can't follow what OTHER people do! We just need to do us!

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:52pm
I rinse with warm water. Even if I'm  not doing anything to help it by washing, just the action makes me feel better about the meat I'm going to cook. LOL

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:52pm
It's hard to rinse already made hamburger patties

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:54pm
For those who wash/rinse their ground beef after cooking, that doesn't wash away any of the flavor?

Think I'll just stick to draining the grease lol.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

NJ you are speaking the TRUTH! We can't follow what OTHER people do! We just need to do us!

Following what 'other' people do has left a lot of people malnourished, obese, ill and with bald head - Remember when Oprah got on tv telling black people to stop using oil in their hair though blacks been using some form of oil to retain moisture since antiquity? If you want to use oil, use some oil dammit. People were walking around with brittle broken off over processed hair talking about 'I dont use oil in my hair, ewww, who uses oil anymore' Approve. Now that there is money to be made off of black natural hair products, every damm body is selling some type of hair balm/butter/oil/grease at a marked up price.

Do not lose your old traditions including washing meat.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 3:59pm
what's in the water you;re washing it with tho?

j/k

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:02pm
I've never been NO Oprah fan LOL- but yes there is so many Argan oil, macadamia nut, olive oil coconut oil, everywhere... I see some people held on to PINK lotion and Blue magic so ... lol you right

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:02pm

Do y'all rinse your rice before you cook? *

To answer the thread, I just recently learned to wash the chicken. I like the idea of rinsing it with ACV.. thanks for the tip, OPThumbs Up

About the rice question, I learned to do it, and you can wash your face with the rice water used to "wash" the rice.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:04pm
I wash my meat with vinegar, lemon and water... a combo of the three depending on the type of meat... I never use hot water.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:04pm

j/k
lol same thing that's in the so called bottle water...

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:07pm
i don't follow what everybody do that's a sure way to get fukkkked upLOL from a child i watched my parents and helped my parents cook in the kitchen i saw and was taught the practice of washing ALL meats/ vegetables and my hands ALOTLOL  

sidenote: a few times years ago i would watch paula deen show she prepared a rump roast/ chicken/ pork chops/ steak and NEVER cleaned it taking it right out the packageShockedthat shocked the mess outta me/ id rewind that part makin sure my eyes weren't deceiving meLOL and nope she wasn't washing it str8 out the packageThumbs Down idc what anyone says i wash my meat, its the way i was taughtWink

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:11pm
always...with lime juice or ACV

waits for the other west indians to chime inLOL

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:13pm

I've never been NO Oprah fan LOL- but yes there is so many Argan oil, macadamia nut, olive oil coconut oil, everywhere... I see some people held on to PINK lotion and Blue magic so ... lol you right

I use pink oil (girllll....I love it for when I am doing my underbraids), Blue Magic for sealing my ends and I use old school pressing oil and the red marcel wax. Im really old school though and use a lot of passed down traditions and the stuff I used on my hair & skin b4 people became bald headded and balded edges in the 1990-present times. I love Oprah, but I do not blindly follow any celeb/guru/expert. I look at wat my badd azz 96 yr old granny, my great aunts and uncles and my 74 yr old parents do that works for them.

Look at how people blindly trust the 'triple washed' spinach in a bag, then every year there is a spinach recall due to ecoli and people panic. Keep washing your meat & vegetables as you always do and keep rinsing the rice (removes some of the excess starch).

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:34pm
i don't cook meat like white people cook meat so I can't follow their marinating advice.
i tried that once and it was bland as fvck!
so I will continue to wash my meat--I ain't kill myself yet from crosscontamination and neither has my 91 year old granny. stay blessed FDA

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:37pm
Washing Meat is a must for me, either Distilled Vinegar, Lemons, or Limes.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:39pm
this topic caused a huge fall out the last time it was around

ah good times!

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:40pm
lol

Posted By: mzsophisticated
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:42pm
One of my besties she is haitian and when i saw her clean the meat its a full out process i thought she started cooking but nope just the cleaning process
1. Boiled pot of water with vinegar
2. Rinsed the chicken
3. Let the chicken sit in a bowl full of lemon juice while the watrr was boiling
4. Poured the boiling hot water in the bowl with the chicken and let sit 5-10 mins
then she proceeded to rinse, season and cook it in the oven....i was like damn. She said that is how she was tought to clean meat and she knew no other way

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:49pm

One of my besties she is haitian and when i saw her clean the meat its a full out process i thought she started cooking but nope just the cleaning process
2. Rinsed the chicken
3. Let the chicken sit in a bowl full of lemon juice while the watrr was boiling
4. Poured the boiling hot water in the bowl with the chicken and let sit 5-10 mins
then she proceeded to rinse, season and cook it in the oven....i was like damn. She said that is how she was tought to clean meat and she knew no other way

yup.

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 4:53pm
Yes, but I know it don't do nothing. Just for my piece of mind. I don't use nothing special but hot water and salt. 
Then I get to disinfecting the area.
Rice and wash for the starch. As far as killing bacteria, the cooking does that. 

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:19pm

2. Rinsed the chicken

I'll do that if that only if we just killed it.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Ladycoils Ladycoils wrote:

Yep! washing is a must

Posted By: Ds2nice
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:45pm
When it's soaking, I put them in btw my two palms of my hands and use both of hands to scrub them (grain against grain). I do it to both grits and rice to get some of the extra bleach off.

I know it sounds strange but I followed my grandma's method (from the deep south in SC....the dirtiest of the dirt roads).

Ok I hope I made some sense because it's hard typing during my happy hour. I be drinking. ..I be drinking.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:47pm

j/k

right. so what can you/general wash it with? the faucet or bottled water  may not be all clean and purifying either.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:51pm

j/k

right. so what can you/general wash it with? the faucet or bottled water  may not be all clean and purifying either.

that's why you use boiled water.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:53pm
I'm just playing with yall. I have a 30 min wash/sanitize procedure before I will  eat an apple and I'm not even eating the peels! lol. So I can relate to this food washing. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

I use pink oil (girllll....I love it for when I am doing my underbraids), Blue Magic for sealing my ends and I use old school pressing oil and the red marcel wax. Im really old school though and use a lot of passed down traditions and the stuff I used on my hair & skin b4 people became bald headded and balded edges in the 1990-present times. I love Oprah, but I do not blindly follow any celeb/guru/expert. I look at wat my badd azz 96 yr old granny, my great aunts and uncles and my 74 yr old parents do that works for them.

Look at how people blindly trust the 'triple washed' spinach in a bag, then every year there is a spinach recall due to ecoli and people panic. Keep washing your meat & vegetables as you always do and keep rinsing the rice (removes some of the excess starch).

All fruits and veggies go in vinegar water to soak.

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 6:54pm

im too lazy for all this

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 6:55pm
i wash it everytime i take a shower

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

i wash it everytime i take a shower

in ACV?
you go boy

Posted By: melikey
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 7:40pm
Vinegar, lemon juice, etc.. are tenderizers.
So even though washing is technically not what is happening you are actually influencing how the meat tastes. I see no problem with it but I rinse only.

I rinse rice before cooking and after I bring it to a rapid boil I drain, rinse, add water to about an inch or two higher than the rice, butter seasons, and let cook till fluffy.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:06pm
If water is as bad as some people say it is! We in BIG trouble, we bathing in it everyday and drinking products made from tap water- etc. our skin is our biggest organ and its soaking up all the toxic chemicals NO water is safe! We need to do something about this food and water problems in the world!

Posted By: thewonderfulwa
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:11pm
I always rinse with vinegar.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:33pm
OT: I was just laughing in the shower while thinking about those of you who get real judgmental about the machine washers and think the most effective/disinfectant way to wash your underwear is by hand in the shower LOL.

that debate is always fun to read

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:39pm
I love these threads.

Posted By: noneyons
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:46pm
sometimes there are crunchy things in the cooked meat so that's why i will always rinse first with a bucket of bleach water on the side to disinfect the samanila (sp?) and stuff. 

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

OT: I was just laughing in the shower while thinking about those of you who get real judgmental about the machine washers and think the most effective/disinfectant way to wash your underwear is by hand in the shower LOL.

yep yepLOLLOL

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:11pm
I wash it with vinegar and lime juice.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 10:13pm

If water is as bad as some people say it is! We in BIG trouble, we bathing in it everyday and drinking products made from tap water- etc. our skin is our biggest organ and its soaking up all the toxic chemicals NO water is safe! We need to do something about this food and water problems in the world!

i postedsomething and of course itgot the error msg smh

i think that ourcivilization will end with ahuge drought or widespread contaminated water. beijing you have to wear facemask to breathe, japan has the pacific ocean contaminated with nuclear reactor waste pumping into it right now and no one is stoppingthem and west virginia had a crisis in a town a few months ago with dangerously toxic water and it was quicklyremoved from news reports.

I think that the water crisis is much worse than the powers that be will ever report. All day on twitter, the international news channel are talking about water crisis. Here in USA? Very little discussion.

on the local nj news channel on pbs, there was a report tonight about a new report with extra toxic levels in water in southern nj and it is not on the regular evening news networks. there is a major river here in north nj with mercury and byproducts of agent orange and the average person here doesnt even know that. even The Meadowlands (the area by Giants/Jets NFL stadium where the 2014 Superbowl was) has extremely toxic contaminants and people be in the river from here to the Meadowlands jet skiiing and you know the water is splashing in their face and gawd forbid that the jet ski flips and they have to swim in the toxic water. I go to a park at the meadowlands when the weather is nice and i took a photo of one of the signs one day:

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:49pm

*When you lose your old world traditions, you lose important info.  Anyone with 'old world' traditions cleans meat in some way whether it is wil lemon, lime, garlic,white vinegar or salt & water. 

Cross contamination is not a problem from washing meat b/c you are not splashing the wash water everything and you are still heavily bleaching the utensils and countertops before cooking the food.

People have been washing meat around the world since the beginning of time. Then get to the melting pot of USA and start doing what they see white folks do then start getting white man sicknesses like frequent stomach viruses (ecoli). THEN white hipsters will sell you a $25 e-book for your Kindle about cleaning meat and you will think that you have the new radical health food innovation. Then Doctor Oz will have some blockbuster episode teaching you how to clean meat and it will be a big rage to clean meat as though folks havent been doing it.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

look here ive never heard of one case of e-coli salmonella ebola virus in Jamaica everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from i born. food poisoning rare too

My mommy says 1) coconut oil that they used to cook with everyday was somhow bad for you and then braps! its the hot thing again
2) bulgar same thing 
3) lemon grass that we call fever grass
4) sorrel similar antioxidants 
lawwdd when there was this push for cocnut water over the last few years i nearly DIED!

Everyday its another raas miracle food- fruit, plant that we (the people of colour) have been using since time immemorial (back it wasn't oh so backward then, for using the fruit of the land instead of  their mass produced commercial additives and preservative laden ish) but when YTs jump on it, its the new holy grail and prices reach sky high (noni, acai berry, pomegranate)

Sidenote many Jamaicans fail to realise pomegrante is the fruit we call "pang-ga-nut" and many other deviations of that phrase "punny granny" is oneCry! so they stay paying$$$$ for supm in their front yardsLOLLOL AND they just cant read the word. I swear even yesterday i had to point it out to my friends, by having them sound out the word "pomegranate" on the bottle of body wash they were using #dead

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:51pm

before cooking? I do even with lemon or ACV before cooking everything with the exception of ground beef. I just can't not wash it!
I just read somewhere its Unnecessary! To wash or not to wash... that is the question?

nah, tbh..

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

well I find that folks getting uppity about washing meat and start slinging insults lol

first, it's not that serious and second since you aren't really cleaning it they way you think you are, your meat isn't really that much better off

gurl...folks get uppity about anything.  u've seen the how do you clean your house/bathrooms/ass threads.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 29 2014 at 11:56pm

yep yepLOLLOL

GURRLLLLL im in a dorm room like situation at a house (its a couple of us) I havent seen not one "baggy" hanging in the shower and no one has gone downstairs to the clothesline. SO i finally had to ask WTF are the baggies?!CryCryCryCry Ive been drying mine in the closet by the window. Chicks have them in their bags and im side eyeing them hard j/k

LV i urge you get a Caribbean woman to wash your clothes by hand (fist) not using a device-plunger or the washboard. Clean as a whistle!

but its a cultural thing though. machines were unheard of fo rmost pf the population for a long time and still baggies in machine or asking your maid to wash them will get you JUDGEDDDDDD

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 12:09am

All fruits and veggies go in vinegar water faery tears to soak.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 12:11am

ain't it tho.  I love it when the sh*t gets outlandish.LOL

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 12:25am
A lot of dirt comes of the veggies/fruit when you put then in vinegar water.  I find that sometimes they spoil slower than they would if you don't do that also  /shrug.'

Greens and crap from farms/markets have a LOT of dirt on them.  A gritty pot of greens is the WORSE.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 12:30am
^^^^^IA.  with my gramma...she taught me washing greens is a process.  The amount of bugs and dirt that would come off...   *shudders*

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 12:44am
yes those little fat worms on collard greens btw (collagreens) btw who knew this word was spelled with a D? LOL so called English is so hard!

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 12:45am
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

look here ive never heard of one case of e-coli salmonella ebola virus in Jamaica everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr from i born. food poisoning rare too

My mommy says 1) coconut oil that they used to cook with everyday was somhow bad for you and then braps! its the hot thing again
2) bulgar same thing 
3) lemon grass that we call fever grass
4) sorrel similar antioxidants 
lawwdd when there was this push for cocnut water over the last few years i nearly DIED!

Everyday its another raas miracle food- fruit, plant that we (the people of colour) have been using since time immemorial (back it wasn't oh so backward then, for using the fruit of the land instead of  their mass produced commercial additives and preservative laden ish) but when YTs jump on it, its the new holy grail and prices reach sky high (noni, acai berry, pomegranate)

Sidenote many Jamaicans fail to realise pomegrante is the fruit we call "pang-ga-nut" and many other deviations of that phrase "punny granny" is oneCry! so they stay paying$$$$ for supm in their front yardsLOLLOL AND they just cant read the word. I swear even yesterday i had to point it out to my friends, by having them sound out the word "pomegranate" on the bottle of body wash they were using #dead

i agree with all of this. what is this ecoli business? stop letting your dog lick your face & mouth and eat off your plate. wash your hands frequently. use bleach in your kitchen. wash your hands after using the bathroom. these are all things that the whites are lax with. when you are at work here, every white persn has a photo on their desk with the dog licking their mouth and they walk clear  out the toilet wiithout even touching soap and water.

they tried to say coconut oil was bad, then spiked the prices smh...my friend in barbados said that he hd to get used to the heat when he moved there and i said, you better drink cocnut water and he said 'hi have to look for it at the grocery store' Confused i was like, no you betta buss open a damm coconut from the back yard or buy the cocnut water from the dude on the side of the road on your way to work. people have stuff at their finger tip and overlook it.

i know what you mean about lemon grass and sorrell. as soon as a person gets sick, they are getting some 'special' tea and it really helps. then the corporations find out and it is a huge payday for them. it is ridiculous.

i would love to be able to have a warm enough climate to grow pomegranate.  A old regional tradition that my family followed is to give a box filled with nuts and fruit including pomegranate as the main part of the christmas gift. the pomegranate is so high in vitamin c you make it through the winter without a deficiency. now people are acting like it is new and exotic. i swear these people wear me out.  i just stick with what i know and im always fascinated by the next big marketing scam to take the colored folks processes and products and to make them the new innovative pricey superfood. gourmet grocery stores have huge ads touting collard greens as the new superfood. generic usa white peoples' systems cant even handle collards. it is a laxative to them b/c they are used to low fiber food so i think that it is hilarous. as long as they dont try to make my beloved okra, mustard and turnip greens and rutabaga the next 'discovery' lol im just worn out by the whole marketing process of it allLOL

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:22am
I wash poultry and seafood. I never really washed beef. Mainly because I wast raised eating it much. I learned to cook it from food network and they don't wash it.

I don't typically eat rice ( only cooked it about twice ) my mom washes hers though.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:32am

ain't it tho.  I love it when the sh*t gets outlandish.LOL

I agree. These are my favorite threads. Ilike to read about the techniques that people use and also the products that the require or product/techniques that they condemn. Guaranteed to get outlandishLOL

There was one called 'How often do you mop your floors'. I think that people got cussed out by page 2LOLCryLOL

There was one where someone posted a video of Ateyaa cooking some seafood and called the thread, 'What is missing in this video' and people hammered the video for not having cleaning techniques that would meet the BHM standard of approvalLOLLOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:35am
I have never eaten gritty greens before..im way too picky about whose collards I will eat. I most definitely was taught to scrub each leaf by hand and my mom/aunts/uncles have told horror stories about gritty collards so im scared to eat them from just anywhere.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:39am

All fruits and veggies go in vinegar water faery tears to soak.

now ya talking!
get like Newdiva yall LOLLOL

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:42am

^^^^^IA.  with my gramma...she taught me washing greens is a process.  The amount of bugs and dirt that would come off...   *shudders*

yeah it's a whole day's job cleaning up fresh greensLOL. I still say I don't know how the women did it back in day (gathering from gardens, cleaning, chopping, cooking, etc for each meal). I admire their fortitude.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:47am

I have never eaten gritty greens before..im way too picky about whose collards I will eat. I most definitely was taught to scrub each leaf by hand and my mom/aunts/uncles have told horror stories about gritty collards so im scared to eat them from just anywhere.

gurl sh*d.   I learned from young u don't eat just anybody's greens.  I only eat my gramma's or my ex uncle Herb's greens.  Hell...my uncles greens are better than my gramma's if u can believe it.  *looks around furtively* don't tell her I said that tho.

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:48am
 A coworker said she soaks hers in DAWN overnight. I don't know about that but I guess they are definitely clean lol

Date Posted: Apr 30 2014 at 1:49am

yeah it's a whole day's job cleaning up fresh greensLOL. I still say I don't know how the women did it back in day (gathering from gardens, cleaning, chopping, cooking, etc for each meal). I admire their fortitude.

gurl wuuuuuuuuuuuud.   my gramma would start the cleaning the day before the event.  let them joints soak overnight depending on when she put them in the zink.  (yes zink)

Print Page | Close Window